Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gordon Brown plan for army of teen volunteers

acidhead

Just a thought: doesn't CT nuttery belong in the CT nuttery forum?

I mean, the whole premise of this -- that the UK is somehow following the US in adopting "compulsory youth service" -- is based on the CT nutters refusing to do the simple act of reading the proposed US legislation and instead believing whatever fiction their nutzy source tells them to, without recourse to critical thinking.

--Jaylemurph

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but, this website: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...volunteers.html , does not appear to have anything to do with conspiracy theories. It's just an ordinary UK news website from what I can tell.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• BlindMessiah

• Corp

• acidhead

I'm sure you do. You believe a lot of things. You just don't do a very good job of explaining your reasoning behind it.

However, when discussing something like volunteer work for students, which is done around the world on a fairly regular basis, which many members in this very thread have been a part of, which has never been shown to have any sort of federal or governmental association or control, and which has absolutely no link to eventual governmental control to said government of previously mentioned high school volunteers...

Yeah, to compare something like that to the Hitler Youth is pretty much Godwin's Law.

:tu: Great post, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like the idea of mandatory community service.

I just think that these kids should have the right to choose whether to help or not. Plus, if you make it mandatory, simple psychology theories explain that 'enjoyment' decreases.

I think mandatory is a strong word here, kids are rebellious and wouldn't do this if it was compulsory. Hell, kids skip school all the time and thats compulsory LOL.

To equate this to some form of nazis plot is obsured. I think kids should be rewarded for there volunteer work such as a free course in University or a semester in trade school at half price. If these were the incentives then I'm all for it. Make the kids feel good about doing good and for those that believe in karma here ya go.

However if this is a government take on teaching the kids how to be responsible it is doomed to fail...

another victim?..

[However, Godwin's Law itself can be abused, as a distraction or diversion, that fallaciously miscasts an opponent's argument as hyperbole, especially if the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate. A 2005 Reason magazine article argued that Godwin's Law is often misused to ridicule even valid comparisons.[7] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law ]

.....gee.. aqutus ridicule anybody?....she never does that........

Ah, no, you see, this isn't a valid comparison. It is, in fact, an absurd one. There, I feel, is the difference.

Besides, one of the major criteria for a dictator to set himself up in power for life with an army of acolytes and a sinister mechanism of secret power behind him, is for that leader to have some charisma.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but, this website: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...volunteers.html , does not appear to have anything to do with conspiracy theories. It's just an ordinary UK news website from what I can tell.

No, but a rich crop of conspiracy theories has grown out of it already, rather like rhubarb from horse manure.

help people or die

Um....? No, I won't ask.

:mellow: .....

Um....? No, I won't ask.

:mellow: .....

really it would be at the moment help people or go to jail. at least that is the way it sounds.

"He went on: "That would mean young people being expected to contribute at least 50 hours of community service by the time they have reached the age of 19......." UK Prime Minister. (Who was not elected by the people)

"Being expected to..." doesn't sound like volunteering to me.

Sounds more like New Labour have found yet another way to manipulate unemployment figures, and pander to the old geezers who blame teenagers for every unlawful act committed in the community. The fact that these teens will be "expected" to work for no wage is just a bonus.

Its a gimmick folks, and God knows the Labour Party need something as they continue to be found out for the lying, corrupt incompetents they are.

help people or die

Is that a threat or somehow an extremely well veiled contribution to the thread?

Is that a threat or somehow an extremely well veiled contribution to the thread?

Ask you government. Besides I already clearified it.

That's one way to look at it, Danielost.

Another way of looking at it is, "don't help, oh well...."

That's the difference between a step towards fascism and a change in social structure. If a social environment of youth helping the community develops, then it becomes nothing more sinister than something you can put on your college application, right next to (or the same as) part-time jobs and extra-curricular activities. If you don't do it, oh well, you don't do it, but don't expect the society you decided not to help out to give you as much notice as it gives the ones who did help.

Or, hey, you can believe the completely unsubstantiated CT dream of being shot for not helping out the community.

really it would be at the moment help people or go to jail. at least that is the way it sounds.

Well, I don't think that it's yet been suggested that those will be the alternatives, and besides that, I'm not sure whether they will in fact, necessarily, be shot. Perhaps he might be reserving it as an option, who can say, but I don't think there's any mention of that in the proposals so far put forward.

Wow, 0bama has said these kids will be a form of MILITARY. of NATIONAL SECURITY. As WELL FUNDED AS OUR MILITARY. What is it about that, that you folks dont understand? This is your own man talking, this isnt even close to a conspiracy theory, he said it in front of the whole nation, and you folks STILL denie it. No one here is asking you believe in a CT, we are just saying believe what he has told us directly.

Wow, 0bama has said these kids will be a form of MILITARY. of NATIONAL SECURITY. As WELL FUNDED AS OUR MILITARY. What is it about that, that you folks dont understand? This is your own man talking, this isnt even close to a conspiracy theory, he said it in front of the whole nation, and you folks STILL denie it. No one here is asking you believe in a CT, we are just saying believe what he has told us directly.

Well, that may be true of O'Bama's ideas, but if this idea is as well funded as the British military, they'd hardly have enough budget for the bus fare in in the morning.

Please point out where Brown said that the punishment for not doing the 50 hours would be jail time. I'll wait.

Well, I don't think that it's yet been suggested that those will be the alternatives, and besides that, I'm not sure whether they will in fact, necessarily, be shot. Perhaps he might be reserving it as an option, who can say, but I don't think there's any mention of that in the proposals so far put forward.

When ever anything becomes manditory the chooses are jail, fines or do that which is manditory. Like car insurance.

When ever anything becomes manditory the chooses are jail, fines or do that which is manditory. Like car insurance.

It sounds to me it would be like it is here...a requirement for graduation from school. If you drop out of school it's just forgotten about.

It sounds to me it would be like it is here...a requirement for graduation from school. If you drop out of school it's just forgotten about.

I think thats pretty much they way it will work. Jails would be over flowing with kids if jail was the result of not completing ones 50 hrs. It will become one of those things you will be shamed into doing just like a lot of high school drop outs don't brag about not finishing school. It will look good on your school records it will look go on a job application, I see no reason not to do this. I don't see a bunch of resurected Hitler youths comming out of this.

Or they might just over look it. I'm not sure if everyone in my class did their 40 hours, but know everyone graduated.

"He went on: "That would mean young people being expected to contribute at least 50 hours of community service by the time they have reached the age of 19......." UK Prime Minister. (Who was not elected by the people)

"Being expected to..." doesn't sound like volunteering to me.

Sounds more like New Labour have found yet another way to manipulate unemployment figures, and pander to the old geezers who blame teenagers for every unlawful act committed in the community. The fact that these teens will be "expected" to work for no wage is just a bonus.

Its a gimmick folks, and God knows the Labour Party need something as they continue to be found out for the lying, corrupt incompetents they are.

im not sure who i would vote for when im old enough to vote at the moment. labour party have gone rubbish since gordan brown took over, conservatives are just as bad, liberal democrats i dont know much about but i think theres a reason why theyve never been elected, and im not gonna vote some small parties because noone knows anything about them so they cant be trusted...

the government is in such a mess :(