Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd childhood memories you have...

NosmoKing

Does anyone have any odd childhood memories--which you remember as something very real happening to you, but looking back upon it you know it couldn't have possibly happened?

I remember when I was about 4 years old and had just gotten out of the shower. I was wrapped only in a towel but got sidetracked and started watching the tv show The Price Is Right. After a few minutes the guy who was hosting The Price Is Right turned and looked directly at me and said "Put some clothes on already!"

I know this couldn't have possibly happened, but my memory of it is very real. Has this happened to anyone else? What was your experience?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah I had something like that happen once when I was around 4 or 5.

I was walking around in the woods behind our house and a man dressed like a clown started saying my name. Probably just a very clear dream I had.

• Like 1

Yeah I had something like that happen once when I was around 4 or 5.

I was walking around in the woods behind our house and a man dressed like a clown started saying my name. Probably just a very clear dream I had.

Yeah, part of me thinks my memory was a dream I had. But I remember that day very well as I'd gone to Sea World with my family that day.

A lot of memories seem like computer files, they get corrupted over time, I guess. The interesting part is when fantastical elements find their way in.

• Like 1

of course I do ! it was a laugh well worth the choke !

when i was 5 i remember having an argument with the peanut man,and he argued back.....then i shreded him :ph34r:

when i was 5 i remember having an argument with the peanut man,and he argued back.....then i shreded him :ph34r:

looks like you crack his nut :lol:

I had a couple when I was 4 and 5.

I saw Santa, clear as day, but he was kinda see through, like a ghost. He smiled at me and gestured back up the stairs to me and I went back to bed.

Another time I felt (more then saw) an angel.

Rembering these things today they are still very real to m e, b ut my brain says "Nah, can't be."

Edited by MaggieDruydess

Does anyone have any odd childhood memories--which you remember as something very real happening to you, but looking back upon it you know it couldn't have possibly happened?

I remember when I was about 4 years old and had just gotten out of the shower. I was wrapped only in a towel but got sidetracked and started watching the tv show The Price Is Right. After a few minutes the guy who was hosting The Price Is Right turned and looked directly at me and said "Put some clothes on already!"

I know this couldn't have possibly happened, but my memory of it is very real. Has this happened to anyone else? What was your experience?

My memory - I am standing next to my grandmother on a hotel balcony looking at niagra falls at night and she says that there is a trained seal with a ball on it's nose out there... For years I thought that was a real memory until I mentioned it to my parents and they reminded me that we never stayed overnight in that area... and that trained seals aren't exactly a major thing to find under the falls...

That's classic, I bet it would've given you a shock! :D

I remember, quite clearly, seeing a centaur galloping through the woods on the side of the highway on the way up to my Aunt's house on Long Island, NY. Obviously, I don't believe it was real, but it was definitely a real memory... very detailed. (Don't ask me how a centaur was keeping up with a car doing 60mph).

• Like 3

looks like you crack his nut :lol:

yush,i totally did,and then i burned him,then i got in trouble for "playing with fire" T_T

I remember, quite clearly, seeing a centaur galloping through the woods on the side of the highway on the way up to my Aunt's house on Long Island, NY. Obviously, I don't believe it was real, but it was definitely a real memory... very detailed. (Don't ask me how a centaur was keeping up with a car doing 60mph).

hes was magical!!!! B)

i totally would have asked for his autograph :)

post-87140-1239981854_thumb.jpg

^ lol Getting the centaur's autograph would have involved jumping out of a moving car, something that seriously would've messed up my pretty little holiday dress.

I was thinking about making a similar topic, asking the older members if they had memories of their childhood that they remembered, but didn't know if they were real. I'm only 18 but a lot of my younger years already seem so far away and a lot of the things don't even seem real anymore.

I remember some gardens my mom had, one was in an old satellite dish and another was beside the house. They were both real, but I keep remembering them as if they weren't. I also keep remembering myself being kicked by a bull when I was little, but it surely never happened at all. I also have other not so friendly memories that I can't decide on, if they were real or what. Makes me angry. :lol:

I remember being able to float down stairs and levitate. There was a recent thread on that here.

Also, I remember being in a very bad fire or disaster that took place on the boardwalk in Wildwood, new jersey. I remember very clearly a ferris wheel toppling, but there are no such news records or anything regarding something like this in the time frame I was there for.

yeah i was watching cris angel one time, and he said if you thought real hard you could float, so i tried, and i felt a lot lighter... :huh:

I was thinking about making a similar topic, asking the older members if they had memories of their childhood that they remembered, but didn't know if they were real. I'm only 18 but a lot of my younger years already seem so far away and a lot of the things don't even seem real anymore.

I remember some gardens my mom had, one was in an old satellite dish and another was beside the house. They were both real, but I keep remembering them as if they weren't. I also keep remembering myself being kicked by a bull when I was little, but it surely never happened at all. I also have other not so friendly memories that I can't decide on, if they were real or what. Makes me angry. :lol:

I think maybe in childhood our minds are open to believing anything (half the stuff I read in science and history books seemed pure fantasy at that age, but because it was in a school book I believed it), so when something a little odd happens it expands in our mind into something bigger--we remember it in an fantastical way. Whereas being an adult, if something a little odd happens we write it off immediately and try to rationalise it, and thus remember it as something very normal. As a child our minds don't tell us we are misinterpreting things, we take it as it is.

Okay, here's something freaky. When my sister was little, she was afraid to go to bed because she said she kept seeing a skeleton by the foot of her bed. Mom would make me sit with her while she went to sleep. I had a later bedtime, and this annoyed me. So one day I told her, "That's Friend Skeleton. He's just there because he was buried under the house, and has nowhere to go. He won't hurt you." Yes, I had a morbid mind even at 10. For weeks, I could hear my sister talking to herself in her room before going to sleep.

Years later(I'm 20 now) I asked my sister if she could remember Friend Skeleton. She looked at me strangely, and said she had no idea what I was talking about. I thought maybe she really had forgotten, or perhaps I just dreamed up the whole skeleton thing. Even my parents don't remember anything about it.

When I was about 3 or 4 I can remember this very clear to this day but I'm trying to rationalise it. I was either 3 or 4 and in my bed clothes, getting ready for bed. Then I saw my family sitting by the upstairs window gazing out. It was night time and I wanted to see what they were all looking at. Then I sat by the window and I could see about hundreds, or maybe thousands of brightly coloured balloons (like party balloons) floating down from the sky and landing in the gardens. Many years later I asked my family about that and none of them can remember this. I know I wasn't dreaming it.

I posted this in the Angels thread, but I guess it fits here too:

Ok, so I was like 3-5,6 at the time of this event, and it truely is the highlight of my life (other than finding true love hehe).

I can't remember if this was my great-grandma's house or my current house, but the stairs are no more than 20 steps high, of no unusual steepness. At the top of the stairs there used to be an old wooden dresser up against the wall and at the edge of the stairs. I was a bit of a daredevil when I was younger, and while I was getting dressed one morning I decided to climb it. I got up on top, and was struggling with my shirt, when I fell off. I wasn't frightened because I didn't even think I was falling. These sparkly magenta/pink hand-like things turned me over so I was laying on my stomach in the air and guided me safely and slowly to the bottom, like it was hovering over me (I could only see the hands holding my sides but I couldn't feel them). I remember freaking out as the bottom approached, fearing splinters in my knees and elbows, but I was just plopped down and the moment I hit the ground, everything went back to normal and I felt a little dull hurt on my butt from hitting the floor, but that was all.

I thought it was the most amazing thing ever, and I tried constantly to jump off the stairs and see if whatever it was would make me fly again. I'd start with one step, two, up as high as I could brave myself to go but it never happened again. Does anyone have any idea what this could have been? Or who? I've never encountered this ever again. Maybe it was an intervention of some kind? I've read stories of people saying their soul, or a angel/spirit guide would come in front of them to lessen the blow of a car crash, accidents, etc.

Also, I remember breathing underwater in the bathtub. I'd lay there for hours - or until the water got too cold - just breathing really slowly under the water (but it only worked through my nose). I was a strange, strange little kid.

When I was very young - 5 years old or less - I thought I saw a person dressed as a ghost outside my bedroom window.

It looked like a person with a sheet over their head, but not transparent.

I wonder if this is a normal part of brain or psychological development during childhood.

When I was about 4 I was in the bathroom and I saw this guy with facepaint in dark clothes with horns peak above the window into the bathroom. He disepeared back down in a matter of about a second.

When I was about 3 or 4 I can remember this very clear to this day but I'm trying to rationalise it. I was either 3 or 4 and in my bed clothes, getting ready for bed. Then I saw my family sitting by the upstairs window gazing out. It was night time and I wanted to see what they were all looking at. Then I sat by the window and I could see about hundreds, or maybe thousands of brightly coloured balloons (like party balloons) floating down from the sky and landing in the gardens. Many years later I asked my family about that and none of them can remember this. I know I wasn't dreaming it.

I'd love to have a memory like that even if it didn't happen. Sounds beautiful.

I remembered another one that happened to me. When my brother was born I put in day care for a few weeks so my mum wasn't overwhelmed. For some reason I remember the women who took care of us kids in day care as being nuns--nuns in full on black and white outfits. Now my mum says the women who took care of me definitely weren't nuns. I've only been in day care that one time in my life so it's not like she could get confused.

What a funny thing for me to misremember. I'm not religious. Maybe The Sound of Music made a big impresssion on me ;)

I have a memory of being either in a crib or possibly very, very young and in bed, and seeing a clown bend over me closely, I could see his grotesque face and was very scared, he set off all my danger signals and I felt he meant me harm or was evil or something, and within a few weeks, my father died, and I've had an aversion to clowns ever since then and I'm 35 now.

When I was young, I don't know, maybe 7, maybe later than that, I remember being in a classroom with a bunch of strangers, nothing I was used to or anybody that I knew, as far as I recall, with a tall female teacher, who passed out tests to everyone. Seems like the first parts were easy enough so probably normal schoolwork, but then there was what I can only describe as a line-art full body picture of a Gorn from the original Star Trek series, you know the one with the big stiff green lizard guy and Kirk trapped on the planet in a fight to the death? Anyway the question was to circle Male or Female and I knew it was a trick question, this picture was of the female because the males are much smaller - no idea how or why I supposedly knew this and I don't have any idea if that's correct in the Trek canon - the test was treating this as though it were a real test on alien physiology or something, very strange.

I remember being in New Mexico (I did live there briefly) , probably around age 10, in a little diner out in the desert, in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere, and there were still quite a few vehicles parked there and people inside at booths and the bar, etc. Like they always did, my parents wound up talking to whoever was running the establishment, seems like it was a husband/cook and wife/waitress, talked for what seemed like hours to me, until people started gathering outside and we saw through a window a bunch of bright lights. My parents and the owners and everybody in the diner went outside to watch this group of strange lights kinda fly around irregularly and almost "dance" in the sky - I didn't understand what the big deal was or why we had to stand or sit outside in the desert at night when there was food and drink and tables inside so I just sat down and probably drew in the sand or something.

When I was about 4 I was in the bathroom and I saw this guy with facepaint in dark clothes with horns peak above the window into the bathroom. He disepeared back down in a matter of about a second.

Oh man, that one is going to keep me up tonight. It reminds me of a scene in a David Lynch movie.

When I was young, I don't know, maybe 7, maybe later than that, I remember being in a classroom with a bunch of strangers, nothing I was used to or anybody that I knew, as far as I recall, with a tall female teacher, who passed out tests to everyone. Seems like the first parts were easy enough so probably normal schoolwork, but then there was what I can only describe as a line-art full body picture of a Gorn from the original Star Trek series, you know the one with the big stiff green lizard guy and Kirk trapped on the planet in a fight to the death? Anyway the question was to circle Male or Female and I knew it was a trick question, this picture was of the female because the males are much smaller - no idea how or why I supposedly knew this and I don't have any idea if that's correct in the Trek canon - the test was treating this as though it were a real test on alien physiology or something, very strange.

Weird but really interesting. :)

It reminds me of a dream I had a few weeks ago. I was back at school, had to do a geography test, and one part was identify pictures of creatures and what part of the country they came from--only the creatures were from H.P. Lovecraft stories, like Cthulhu, etc.

I probably should stop reading Lovecraft before I go to bed

...but I won't.

It was Christmas Eve, that time, I was 4 or 5 then. Our househelp was beside me in the bed, telling me to sleep, or Santa won't come. I then looked out the window(I was on the second floor of our house) when I saw Santa in his sled, whipping some reindeers on the street beside our house! I know this was impossible, but until know I remember it very clearly.

Oh yeah, I remember falling off the stairs at our house when I was 4 or 5, but a few days after that, I asked my mom if I fell down the stairs a couple of days before, and she totally denied it. But I'm also sure I wasn't dreaming.

Edited by Skeith_34
  • Like 1