Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd childhood memories you have...

NosmoKing

I still vividly recall a dream I had. I was lying in bed and there was a person with glowing red eye's that seemed to be at least 12 feet tall standing outside the window of my room. I called for my mother and she looked at it and said "It's just the preacher. Go back to sleep."

I was terrified to sleep on my back for literally years after that - I had to sleep on my side facing away from the window.

The reason I bring it up here is because it didn't really fit the dream logic idea - I was in bed, there were no lapses in logic and I still recall every single bit of the dream... And my mother remembers one night at around the same time when I called to her and claimed that a man with red eye's was outside my window, but always assumed she had dreamt it...

Just a weird memory that overlaps between two people.

Edited by Wookietim

I always have the "walking on air" memory... I think quite a few people get it. :tu:

Edit: oh and I had an incredibly vivid dream of a tiger standing in my bedroom, quite possibly the most vivid dream I've ever had.

Edited by Promethius

I have an odd memory that was shared by others, but the details were different.

When I was about 12, my parents, 2 sisters and 2 neighbor families (parents and kids) were in my backyard by the pool in the late evening (dusk or twilight). Everyone saw a light streak through the air above the pool from right to left. We all talked about it and even went to the local planetarium as a group the next day to ask some questions and try to find out what it was.

A few years after this occurred, my Mom brought it up again and we were chatting away about how odd it was. It was only then that I found out I saw something different than everyone else (or at least remembered it differently). They all saw a white orb that looked about the size of a baseball fly across the sky. I saw an orange fiery ball as big as a basket ball zoom across at tree-top height (about 30 feet up).

Still don't know what it was exactly, or why I saw something different.

When my mom was four her mother died in childbirth and her father took her, her little sister and baby brother from Kansas City up to a farm in northeastern Missouri, where they all stayed with relatives. She used to tell me (she passed away in 2000) that she clearly remembered, though she knew it couldn't be true, lying on her bed at night on the farm and watching crowds of people come out of the closet. She said it was like being on a city street and just seeing hordes of people walking towards you, but as they approached the bed they started shrinking until they were tiny and disappeared under the bed.

She also told me about a recurring dream she had as a child. She dreamed it was winter and she had to go out to the drugstore because her father was sick, but she was afraid because all the Boy Scouts had guns and they were shooting people. In her dream, she'd make it almost all the way home but then she'd see some Boy Scouts. She'd hide in a snowdrift, but her right arm was always showing and she'd get shot in that arm. When she'd wake up, her arm hurt.

I believe in reincarnation and I've always wondered if this could have been a past life memory. Mom was born in 1921 and the Boy Scouts of her youth wore uniforms that bore a striking resemblance to those worn by soldiers of the First World War.

I have one that's really strange. Growing up my dad and brother always teased me a lot about monsters and whatnot. Well, I was like 5 or 6 and I remember them telling me about a "monster" named Red Eyes that would come to get me if I stayed outside after dark. Well, I didn't know that "Red Eyes" was really the nick name of this neighborhood drunk that wondered around from time to time. . .I thought it was a real monster.

I remember one night I was outside, and I had almost gotten to the point where I didn't believe in Red Eyes any more. I was swinging on my little swing set and it was getting dark. . .but I was trying to be tough and show my dad and brother that I wasn't falling for their little monster stories any more. I kept swinging and at one point I looked up, and there was an open shed about twenty feet in front of me. . .and I saw, staring out at me, two big red eyes.

I don't think anyone in history has every moved as fast as I did. I hauled butt back into my house screaming that red eyes was after me. After that incident, my dad brother got a few more years of monster teasing out of me. Now that I look back, it was probably a cat or something in the shed with its eyes reflecting. . . but man, back then, as far as I was concerned, it was Red Eyes. :lol:

My dad was in the national guard when my mom was pregnant with me. I had a memory of him coming home for christmas with his head shaved and uniform on. She told me I couldn't have seen him cause of course was in the womb, so being a little kid I just thought I must have been peeking out of moms belly button.

• Like 2

I have one that's really strange. Growing up my dad and brother always teased me a lot about monsters and whatnot. Well, I was like 5 or 6 and I remember them telling me about a "monster" named Red Eyes that would come to get me if I stayed outside after dark. Well, I didn't know that "Red Eyes" was really the nick name of this neighborhood drunk that wondered around from time to time. . .I thought it was a real monster.

I remember one night I was outside, and I had almost gotten to the point where I didn't believe in Red Eyes any more. I was swinging on my little swing set and it was getting dark. . .but I was trying to be tough and show my dad and brother that I wasn't falling for their little monster stories any more. I kept swinging and at one point I looked up, and there was an open shed about twenty feet in front of me. . .and I saw, staring out at me, two big red eyes.

I don't think anyone in history has every moved as fast as I did. I hauled butt back into my house screaming that red eyes was after me. After that incident, my dad brother got a few more years of monster teasing out of me. Now that I look back, it was probably a cat or something in the shed with its eyes reflecting. . . but man, back then, as far as I was concerned, it was Red Eyes. :lol:

There is that memory of red eyes again, just like my memory. I wonder if there is a reason why the brain puts red eyes on some of it's odd memories?

Does anyone have any odd childhood memories--which you remember as something very real happening to you, but looking back upon it you know it couldn't have possibly happened?

I remember when I was about 4 years old and had just gotten out of the shower. I was wrapped only in a towel but got sidetracked and started watching the tv show The Price Is Right. After a few minutes the guy who was hosting The Price Is Right turned and looked directly at me and said "Put some clothes on already!"

I know this couldn't have possibly happened, but my memory of it is very real. Has this happened to anyone else? What was your experience?

Ha, I remember something similar. I was about 4 as well, and I remember early in the morning I watched an exercise show on TV, and the exercise instructor was like, "Get up out of that couch sleepy head! Get on your feet!"

I remember thinking, is she talking to me? Can she see me? Later I realized she couldn't, and she probably says that to the audience every morning. But remember Romper Room when the host at the end would look through the mirror, and pretend to see the kids?

Ha, I remember something similar. I was about 4 as well, and I remember early in the morning I watched an exercise show on TV, and the exercise instructor was like, "Get up out of that couch sleepy head! Get on your feet!"

I remember thinking, is she talking to me? Can she see me? Later I realized she couldn't, and she probably says that to the audience every morning. But remember Romper Room when the host at the end would look through the mirror, and pretend to see the kids?

Ahh, Romper Room - so many childhood memories. I honestly thought the host could see me and kept waiting for her to say my name. My name's a bit unusual so that pretty much never happened :(

my mom was on romper room :)

She said she could never figure out how they got the snacks out so fast :)

That's awesome :)

I remember an episode of You Can't Do That On Television where, supposedly, if you touched either the left side or right side of the television screen then you could influence the outcome of the sketch/story. I was old enough to know this was just a script prank for that episode, but I touched the tv screen whenever they asked. Does anyone remember that episode?

I still vividly recall a dream I had. I was lying in bed and there was a person with glowing red eye's that seemed to be at least 12 feet tall standing outside the window of my room. I called for my mother and she looked at it and said "It's just the preacher. Go back to sleep."

I was terrified to sleep on my back for literally years after that - I had to sleep on my side facing away from the window.

The reason I bring it up here is because it didn't really fit the dream logic idea - I was in bed, there were no lapses in logic and I still recall every single bit of the dream... And my mother remembers one night at around the same time when I called to her and claimed that a man with red eye's was outside my window, but always assumed she had dreamt it...

This report shows something very similar to your case, tall mass and glowing red eyes: http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2347

heres mine, when i was 5, i was walkin down the street from school when a big clown came up and said, get the **** out of here fat a**!!! it was very real to me, but i know it wasn't real. :ph34r:

I was about five or six. I had a crazy vivid dream - colorful, clear details. I was outside my house, looking down at the railroad crossing on the street - like a camera view from above. I saw myself run into view, stop on the tracks, look up and smile, and then skip down the street. I still remember what I was wearing in the dream.

What must have been several days or even weeks later, I found myself running down the street. When I got to the tracks, the memory of the dream flashed through my head. I stopped, looked up and smiled, and skipped down the road. I was wearing the same outfit as in the dream.

It gave me a very strange feeling of duality. I guess it could have actually happened, a dream, and walking down the street. Yet the whole experience was just odd, and more so remembering both views so clearly.

edit - speeling

Edited by Episteme

im not sure how old i was, mustve been around seven or eight, but my cousin and i both had one of those stuffed monkies with the velcro hands...actually mine was a bush baby but thats beside the point...anyways, he used to have a huge pine tree growing in his front yard, and i vividly remember taking those things as high into the tree as we were willing to go [which was high - not quite all the way up, but close to it] to play with them. after all, monkies and bush babies DO spend a lot of time in trees :P i dropped mine, though, all the way to the ground. my cousin went down for some reason, and his brother came out. i told him to throw it up to me, and he did. it landed on the end of a branch near me. i remember trying to shimmy my way out to it, almost falling once, but then getting it. but then i remember slipping and falling. the weird part of it is that i never hit any branches on the way down, just the one i landed on which was at the very bottom. and it didnt even hurt. i mentioned it to my cousin again a few years ago, and he said he had no idea what i was talking about. when i think about it, i wonder if it was just a vivid dream. i mean seriously, what are the odds a little kid would fall out of a huge pine tree and not only not get hurt, but not even hit any branches? its so vivid, though..............................

this just reminded me of another memory i have. and im sitting in the dark alone right now so this is starting to creep me out. i just read another one about a clown.........anyways, i have no idea how old i was. my guess is around seven maybe. i was sleeping and randomly woke up in the middle of the night, god only knows what time. i look out of the door and onto the stairs . there was a lot of blue light, almost like a bright moonlight shining down the stairs, and there was someone walking down the stairs and staring at me. their hair was all messed up, longish and dark. i could sort of see their eyes lit up, but they were mostly in shadow because the light was coming from behind them. they werent alive, though. they looked like they were sort of half decayed, and wearing a long, dirty white or grey night gown. they were slowly walking down the stairs and just..... staring at me. imnot sure whether it was a man or woman. the werid thing is...i wasnt scared. i just looked out, watched them for a few seconds, and went back to sleep. ive had thoughts lately, though........my hosue is supposedly "haunted." there was a guy who lived here in the 70s that had a terrible family life [the whole family was kind of messed up] and killed himself in a nearby motel. my brother used to claim that he followed him, and stands by that claim to this day. he was about 12 or so when he first brought it up to my parents, and hes 24 now. hes not the type that would keep something like that up for so long if it wasnt true. not only that, but ive heard some stuff, like my name being whispered and whatnot. im wondering if it was him.........i tired looking him up once, but he has a decently common name, so im not sure if i actually found him or not. anyway, those are my two theories: either it was just a vivid dream, or it was that guy who killed himself. or who knows? maybe it was a member of his family. they all met fairly tragic ends, i believe.

mine was crazy i was 4 with my mom at the graveyard putting flowers on grandads grave and i looked down grave yard and clear as day seen the tin man ( year u heard it the tinman from the wizzard of oz ) turned to my mom screaming look look, she said their was nothing their to this day i can still clearly remember it

• 1 month later...

Woo, first post!

I have two memories that I'm pretty sure never happened, both dealing with my mother and both "happening" when I was very little.

The first dealt with me laying in bed, almost asleep. I remember it wasn't dark yet (about twilight, I guess). I remember that I used to (and still do I suppose) be terrified of twilight - it was a lot more depressing or scary than night to me. Anyhow. I'm laying and bed, and mom's sitting on the edge of my bed. Just as I'm closing my eyes and falling asleep, she says, "Go to sleep soon or the monsters will get you." I'm a little fuzzy on whether it was "the monsters" or something more specific, but my mother is the sort of person who would _never_ say anything like that, especially to a child.

Second one: I vividly (mild pun not intended) remember hearing my mother tell me that the red color of the sunset was caused by my grandfather's blood. He had died only a year or so before she "told" me this. Again, my mother would never say something so morbid... I guess I might have just dreamt it up.

I remember being 4 or 5 in my parents spa pool outside in the middle of the day. I looked up and there was a shiny UFO streaking through the sky, leaving a purple trail behind it. It disappeared after 4-5 secounds and i called to my dad and brother but it was gone before they could see it. I can still see it in my minds eye

seeing Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer's glowing nose on Xmas eve from my bedroom window as it was snowing. I still can remember how I felt seeing it !!! I must have been about 5.

I also remember years later and learning for myself that all it was was a transmission tower with that blinking red light on top of it about a mile or so away.

• Haha 1

There's one thing that's bugging me. I remember being in a hospital during surgey. I was wide awake and my parents were looking at me through a glass during surgey. I remember getting a plushie verison of the Wizard of Oz. In fact I still have one of the plushie things. I kept asking my dad where I got it. But he says that he doesn't know.

O.O

When I was very young - 5 years old or less - I thought I saw a person dressed as a ghost outside my bedroom window.

It looked like a person with a sheet over their head, but not transparent.

I wonder if this is a normal part of brain or psychological development during childhood.

I had a similar expierience when I was a child, I remember looking out of my window and seeing Freddy Krueger tap on the window with his nails :huh: It scared the crap out of me and I was unable to look at any Nightmare on Elm Street until I was like 25y/o!!! It's still very vivid in my memory, I have a sneaking suspicion it was my big brother playing a trick on me but he won't admit it to this day :rolleyes:

I remember being at girl guides camp (its a girls camp thingy) when i was younger and i swear to goodness (yes to this day i still feel i saw it) a Giant poodle being walked by a man and woman. it was the same height as the people. mind you i also swear i saw a giant man sized rabbit too but it may be all in my head.. kids memories do that to you

I remember being at girl guides camp (its a girls camp thingy) when i was younger and i swear to goodness (yes to this day i still feel i saw it) a Giant poodle being walked by a man and woman. it was the same height as the people. mind you i also swear i saw a giant man sized rabbit too but it may be all in my head.. kids memories do that to you

Ths is weird to me still because no one in my family remember it but when i was about 5 or 6 my little sister (she would have be 3 or 4) started having nightmares about this woman she called carmen coming and killing her in all these different ways, i remember one night she and i were in this fort thing we built in the backyard and she was crying because carmen was coming and i kept asking her how she died in her dreams like i could stop it if i knew. we're 18 and 20 now and she doesn't even remember the dreams but for some reason im SURE it happened even though her mom refuses to admit it

i also have this memory of waking up one night in my bed while my mom was having a baseball windup with her team and i went to the yard to ask her something and there was noone there all thier drinks and chairs were there and the fire and bbq were going but there were no people, so i took off running towards my uncles house looking for her but the police came because my mom went to check on me and i was gone to this day she swears that she never left and that i just disappeared that night...... so weird

I remember being able to float down stairs and levitate. There was a recent thread on that here.

I had this multiple times when i was young, around 6 or 7. Floating down stairs, levitating down a hallway... and even stopping myself from being hurt after falling off a wall, just seemed to slow down as i neared the ground. I always remember doing it quite vividly, so real, and i remember continuing on with my day after them occuring. It of course never seemed to happen when someone else was around though, and it hasn't happened since.

There must be something going on in a childs brain at those young ages, where our perceptions of the real world and fantasy are still blurred, and can cause "memories" of impossible things.