Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd childhood memories you have...

NosmoKing

I used to have a "memory" of flying very close to the ground, sometimes with only my arms supporting me as the rest of my body glided along in the air a foot about the earth. I had dreams about it and could recall the sensation of "flying". For a few years, I wondered where this had come from...then I remembered how I learned to swim; by putting my hands on the bottom of the shallow end of a pool and sort of "hand walking" along, with my legs and torso floating. Maybe your "floating down stairs" sensation comes from floating in deep water?

When I was little I used to think that MTV played the same playlist as the car radio but like, 4 or 5 songs behind. On the way home if a song I liked came on in the car, when we got home I would run inside and turn on MTV to see the video for it. It seriously seemed like it was true.

I also have a really weird memory of finding slime/putty in the woods. Kinda like that stuff "Gak" but it was yellow. I distinctly remember all the kids and their parents at the playground running to a spot in the woods where there was a rock covered in it, and even parents talking about it like "Where did all this come from?" I even remember running home and getting a cup to put some in. But I highly doubt this ever actually happened.

I remember living in Rhoda, Spain when I was 3-4. We had just moved into a new house on base and we had yet to move our beds to the second floor. We slept in the living room that night. I awoke to see a pulsating, glowing 'hole' in the corner of the room. Gradually, a dark humanoid figure began to rise out of it. I quickly got out of bed and covered my parents' heads with the blankets and then returned to my bed where I also hid.

I remember being like 7, having dinner with my family, and I swear I saw a Dragon run or fly through the driveway and into the backyard. I remember my whole family seeing it, we all got up to look to see what just ran into the back yard, but nothing was there. It was a probably a dream. The dragon looked like one that is used at a Chinese New Year.

I remember a few things that happened when I was a child, or at least I thought happened, but realistically they don't make sense.

One of my earliest memories was that I went to the zoo with my father. I think I was around 3 years old. I remember riding one of those zoo trains over this huge wooden bridge and I was scared that we would fall over the edge. I also remember the zoo claimed to be the only zoo in the whole world that had a real live unicorn. And it really did look like a horse with a horn growing out of it's head, except the horn looked a little twisted like how fingernails become when they grow too long. I asked my Dad about this incident and of course he said that it never happened. But I am so sure that I saw this unicorn thing!

A few years later when I was about 5 years old, I sneaked into my parent's bedroom and crawled into bed with them. This wasn't unusual for me, and I did it often without any strange incidents. But this time, just as I was tucking myself in right between them, I heard this loud booming voice that sounded like it was coming from an intercom or bullhorn. I remember that it was a male's voice and it kind of resembled how the police would talk if they were demanding someone to come out with their hands up. I don't know what the voice actually said, but it was so loud that I am sure it was coming from inside the bedroom. I know that I was NOT asleep when this happened as I climbed back out of bed and looked around the room. I even looked at the clock radio to see if it was on and it wasn't. I also lived in a really quiet neighborhood where nothing happened, so it wasn't like the police were doing a raid next door. I climbed back into bed and tried to wake my parents, but they wouldn't wake up so I pulled the covers over my head and went to sleep. I even told my Mom about it the next morning and she said that I must have been dreaming.

Another time when I was a teenager, I took a nap in the early evening because I had a headache. When I woke up and looked at the digital clock beside my bed, the numbers were all messed up and they looked backwards to me. I closed my eyes and shook my head a few times and I when I looked at it again the numbers were normal. I figured part of my brain was still asleep and it just didn't register the numbers correctly. Or else I really was dreaming.

Does anyone have any odd childhood memories--which you remember as something very real happening to you, but looking back upon it you know it couldn't have possibly happened?

I remember when I was about 4 years old and had just gotten out of the shower. I was wrapped only in a towel but got sidetracked and started watching the tv show The Price Is Right. After a few minutes the guy who was hosting The Price Is Right turned and looked directly at me and said "Put some clothes on already!"

I know this couldn't have possibly happened, but my memory of it is very real. Has this happened to anyone else? What was your experience?

Yes, actually, when I was two or three I was laying in my crib trying to go to sleep and these strange men with weird masks, almost like hats from Fat Albert, came out from behind my dresser and started poking at me and pulling my hair. I screamed and ran out to my grandparents who were watching the tonight show and they made me hot chocolate. So wierd.

When my mom was four her mother died in childbirth and her father took her, her little sister and baby brother from Kansas City up to a farm in northeastern Missouri, where they all stayed with relatives. She used to tell me (she passed away in 2000) that she clearly remembered, though she knew it couldn't be true, lying on her bed at night on the farm and watching crowds of people come out of the closet. She said it was like being on a city street and just seeing hordes of people walking towards you, but as they approached the bed they started shrinking until they were tiny and disappeared under the bed.

She also told me about a recurring dream she had as a child. She dreamed it was winter and she had to go out to the drugstore because her father was sick, but she was afraid because all the Boy Scouts had guns and they were shooting people. In her dream, she'd make it almost all the way home but then she'd see some Boy Scouts. She'd hide in a snowdrift, but her right arm was always showing and she'd get shot in that arm. When she'd wake up, her arm hurt.

I believe in reincarnation and I've always wondered if this could have been a past life memory. Mom was born in 1921 and the Boy Scouts of her youth wore uniforms that bore a striking resemblance to those worn by soldiers of the First World War.

Well, speaking of dreams, I used to have this dream all the time when I was a kid of being in a forest clearing where it was snowing and I was getting married under a makeshift canopy to a man with very pretty blue eyes. I had a gun strung over my shoulder and was only wearing a scarf on my head and then normal clothes, it was obviously a jewish wedding because my husband stomped on a glass wrapped in a cloth and then we all looked to one side and ran away. There was no sound to this dream, I had it more times than I could count. The other day I was watching a movie called defiance and there was a scene almost exactly the same that gave me the weirdest day ja vou feeling. Now I am an atheist and I do not believe in reincarnation, but, this is not the only strange experience I have had like this.

Now that you mention it I do remember something like that, when I was 4 or so I remember being in our back garden and hearing a loud noise. I looked up and there was a large plane flying overhead, I could see writing on it and it had 2 small red fishing nets on the bottom. It was so low, it looked as if it was around 5 feet above the houses.

I remember asking my parents about this in recent years and they both said that they couldn't remember it. Looking back maybe it was my imagination but it all seemed so vivid, yet why would a plane be flying so low in this area, 1. it's against the law and 2. the nearest airport is a fair few miles away (plus it wasn't being built at that time).

Does anyone have any odd childhood memories--which you remember as something very real happening to you, but looking back upon it you know it couldn't have possibly happened?

I remember when I was about 4 years old and had just gotten out of the shower. I was wrapped only in a towel but got sidetracked and started watching the tv show The Price Is Right. After a few minutes the guy who was hosting The Price Is Right turned and looked directly at me and said "Put some clothes on already!"

I know this couldn't have possibly happened, but my memory of it is very real. Has this happened to anyone else? What was your experience?

Well.. that for sure has not happend me.

But a memorie I have that can't possibel have happend is a memory of me floating in space with only stars. I mean, that's not possibel right? It was defentlie not a dream...

Now that you mention it I do remember something like that, when I was 4 or so I remember being in our back garden and hearing a loud noise. I looked up and there was a large plane flying overhead, I could see writing on it and it had 2 small red fishing nets on the bottom. It was so low, it looked as if it was around 5 feet above the houses.

I remember asking my parents about this in recent years and they both said that they couldn't remember it. Looking back maybe it was my imagination but it all seemed so vivid, yet why would a plane be flying so low in this area, 1. it's against the law and 2. the nearest airport is a fair few miles away (plus it wasn't being built at that time).

Can I ask where you grew up? Ballpark? It wasn't by any chance northern Pennsylvania was it?

I ask because your memory sounds VERY familiar to me...

Can I ask where you grew up? Ballpark? It wasn't by any chance northern Pennsylvania was it?

I ask because your memory sounds VERY familiar to me...

No, no, It was a small town in Warwickshire called Nuneaton lol ^_^

Which is sadly where i'm still living. :P

No, no, It was a small town in Warwickshire called Nuneaton lol ^_^

Which is sadly where i'm still living. :P

Hmmm... Maybe it's just a memory of watching "Akira" when I was younger or something (You know, the one split second scene of the plane flying really low over the streets)...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a story for this thread:

When my younger sister and I were probably around 6 or 7 we were walking around back in the woods which composed much of the 120 acres my family owned at the time. We'd been walking for a while when we're SURE we came across this little single wide trailer house with a white picket fence and flowers around it. I remember stopping and looking at it then deciding with her that we should leave. There wasn't a bad feeling about it, just that it wasn't ours and we shouldn't screw around there. So we left. I don't know how long it took us to walk there and back, but here's the strange thing: there was only a logging road back there! By logging road, I mean it's like a normal road, except there are logs going across, so it's not possible for tractors or cars or what ever to sink down. Also, the plot of land that the house had to have been on, was huge 240 acres. Why there was a house at the back edge of it I don't know. I guess that's why it's so odd, huh?

I just thought of another one:

When I was 5 or so I was playing on the road (rural country road no one but those who lived on it used) and I looked up towards the creek, and there was this thing that looked like a mutated animal crossing the road. My mom was nearby, and she saw it saying ".. I don't know what that is". Then she walked away. I didn't walk down the road that way ever again by myself. The 'mutated animal' looked very similar to what's known as the Giant Anteater. The only problem with that is, I saw this thing in Minnesota. :unsure: Wikipedia tells me it is found in central and south America.

Edited by buffetoflies

I remember when I was about 4 I was lying in my bed getting ready to fall asleep, I was staring at the ceiling when all of a sudden the floating, glowing head of Ronald McDonald floated across my vision. Either it grinned or not, I can't remember, but what I do remember is that he waved at me and said: "Hi, kid"

Now, I know that it is impossible for something like that to actually happen, but I remember it all so clearly and I remember getting up after that and running to my parents' room and telling them that there was a man in my room.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that maybe when we are young we have a very powerful ability to visualize, I don't remember anything like that but I can remember when I was very young staying at my grandparents house and being scared of ghosts in their house and I can still remember the way I visualized the non existent ghosts just when I was being scared of the prospect, I can still remember quite vividly the way I imagined a lot of the visual manifestations of my fears.

I remember, when aged 4 or 5, I was in the back seat of the car. My mum and sister in the front, and we were heading home - I was looking out the window and saw a big red sphere with a band of window (I guess) around the middle of it all. With tiny shapes in it, I can't remember what I thought, I just stared at it. But, I remember that I seemed to be the only one lookig at it, apart from a dog and a couple passer-by people.

This has to be a memory I repressed for most of my life but I remember now after working on a memory journal. I had to have been 3 or 4. My family had a cat and her name was Muffie. I remember following her to some bushes that was kinda like a fence between yards. She went in the bushes, layed down and for some reason I think she died. I was told when I was little she ran away. I asked my mother about it recently and she said she didn't know what I was talking about. Really weird.

when i was younger about 7 or 8 I remember having an out of body experience during a school assembly. I assume this must have been a dream though

My girlfriend though has several freaky stories about precognition when she was younger including having a dream of an old lady standing at the top of the stairs of a house she didnt recognise, some time later she went round a friends for he first time and was greeted by the same woman at the top of the some stairs, it turned out to be her friends grandmother but she hadnt met the woman before or been round her friends.

I remember when I was about 4 I was lying in my bed getting ready to fall asleep, I was staring at the ceiling when all of a sudden the floating, glowing head of Ronald McDonald floated across my vision. Either it grinned or not, I can't remember, but what I do remember is that he waved at me and said: "Hi, kid"

Now, I know that it is impossible for something like that to actually happen, but I remember it all so clearly and I remember getting up after that and running to my parents' room and telling them that there was a man in my room.

Why is the mental picture of a floating Ronald McDonald the single most chilling thing I have read yet on this thread? :huh:

I have this one memory, that I swear is really real. I remember that we were at a Church pick nick at some park, I was about 3-4, an only child then (my sister was not even planned yet). And I clearly remember a pool, I was and still am kind of a loner, I was not playing with the other kids and I was playing around this pool, the next moment I remember that I was sitting at the bottom of the pool looking up at the people out side the pool, I have a brief memory of also looking down into the pool and seeing my self sitting down there. The next thing I know I am pulled out and coughing my lungs out and struggling for air.

Now for the weird part, my parents confrimed that we were at the Church pick nick and there was a pool there, but I never fell into the pool at any stage, not ever anywhere. This memory is one of the few clear ones I have from my childhood.

:hmm:

My earliest memory is a strange one. I remember that my family had taken a trip to Niagra Falls and I was looking out at a big lake at night (from the balcony of a second floor hotel room) with multi colored lights on it and my Grandmother was next to me. She said that there was a trained seal that was balancing a ball on it's nose in the lake...

I remember that scene vividly. I can remember that the lights were red and green and were shining on the surface of the lake in searchlight pattersn. My grandmother was to my left and I was peeking up over the railing to see the seal. And I remember that the seal was very small in the distance....

And to this day, my parents claim that trip never happened.

I remember being 4 and when my cousin came over to my house. We had these 5 antique cans, ordered from small to big. And my cousin said to watch as he was goin to to do a little trick, so i did. He putted a white ping pong ball in one of them and said somthing like hocus pocus or akra kadabra, and i looked where he putted it in and the ball was gone i chacked the other four cans and in one of them the ball was. I was like no way that cant be real. He said it sure was and all i had to do was to believe and give it a try, so i did and it worked, so from then on i always did that when i came across those cans. But a few years later (i think age 6-7) i tryed it again and it woudnt do it, tho at that time i didnt realy believed it anymore.

I sure miss being a kid

Edited by 13thDarkOne

I remember being 4 and when my cousin came over to my house. We had these 5 antique cans, ordered from small to big. And my cousin said to watch as he was goin to to do a little trick, so i did. He putted a white ping pong ball in one of them and said somthing like hocus pocus or akra kadabra, and i looked where he putted it in and the ball was gone i chacked the other four cans and in one of them the ball was. I was like no way that cant be real. He said it sure was and all i had to do was to believe and give it a try, so i did and it worked, so from then on i always did that when i came across those cans. But a few years later (i think age 6-7) i tryed it again and it woudnt do it, tho at that time i didnt realy believed it anymore.

I sure miss being a kid

Yeah, me too. life sure does seem to lose its magic after awhile doesn't it? :P

I've got a story for this thread:

When my younger sister and I were probably around 6 or 7 we were walking around back in the woods which composed much of the 120 acres my family owned at the time. We'd been walking for a while when we're SURE we came across this little single wide trailer house with a white picket fence and flowers around it. I remember stopping and looking at it then deciding with her that we should leave. There wasn't a bad feeling about it, just that it wasn't ours and we shouldn't screw around there. So we left. I don't know how long it took us to walk there and back, but here's the strange thing: there was only a logging road back there! By logging road, I mean it's like a normal road, except there are logs going across, so it's not possible for tractors or cars or what ever to sink down. Also, the plot of land that the house had to have been on, was huge 240 acres. Why there was a house at the back edge of it I don't know. I guess that's why it's so odd, huh?

I just thought of another one:

When I was 5 or so I was playing on the road (rural country road no one but those who lived on it used) and I looked up towards the creek, and there was this thing that looked like a mutated animal crossing the road. My mom was nearby, and she saw it saying ".. I don't know what that is". Then she walked away. I didn't walk down the road that way ever again by myself. The 'mutated animal' looked very similar to what's known as the Giant Anteater. The only problem with that is, I saw this thing in Minnesota. :unsure: Wikipedia tells me it is found in central and south America.

These stories gave me shivers

I always had to fast-forward a scene in the second Jurassic Park movie, because I thought there was a scene where the little green dinosaurs pecked a mans eyes out. Watched it recently and there is NO scene anything like that!