Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd childhood memories you have...

NosmoKing

I had a very wierd happening at about 7 or so. I was sick and laying in bed with the window open, I do not like being too hot and even at that age I kept the window open, I was just laying there and saw a vague and heavy mist waft through the window, it stopped after it got into the room and shapes began to take shape through the mist, and soon I was looking up at Big Bird and several others that I could not identify. they were all just standing in my room looking at me while I was laying in bed. I rushed up to tell my Father about what was going on and he kind of got mad a little bit and told me to go back to sleep. haha kinda figures right?

I was not afraid of Big Bird afterwards, but I did not like to get a visit quite like that.

later in a different house, in my 36 years on this planet i moved about fourty times. i hate staying in one place for any length of time. :P Well i was about 16 living in my uncles old yellow house and was sharing a room with my Bro. the house had some old furniture that belonged to some of our deceased relitives and one piece was in our room with us. it was a corner cabinet and was in our closet, one night a very black and greasy "smoke" began to drift up from the top of the cabinet and stopped half way to the cieling and began to plane off as if it hit the cieling, but it was only half way. I wanted to just get up and leave but could not move, the damn thing was right next to the door and i would have just left through the window but that would have meant I would have abandoned my Brother. so i stayed. (A funny aside, I could not leave my brother but I did not even concider my parents. :o I would have left them in their rooms and slept at my Grand Parents home without much thought.) I figured that was akin to a haggin experience but I never heard of any hags coming in the form of a black and greasy smoke before.

I lived in this house for 14 years and we moved out about 3 months ago but when i was little i used to have the same dream every night for about 2 years but it would be different in someway but i would be laying in bed and then these men would walk in with brown robes on and they would come up to me but everytime i would wake up and this would go on and on for 2 years and then they stopped when we changed the room into a computer and the old computer room was then my bedroom and it just stopped i was about 4 when it started and 6 when it stopped and im now 16 and now we live in the my old grandads house in which he died in this house in 2004 and right now while im on the computer its the very room he died in.

I can remember being at school, I must have been about 5, talking to a girl who looked like she had a bit if sausage sticking out of her chin. It must have just been a scab or something but back then I really though she'd got the end of a chipolata growing out of her face or something! I even remember thinking 'why does no-one else seem to find this weird' :lol:

I'm going to make this reference only because of the "preacher" part. It was SLENDER MAN. I've seen some preachers wear business suits and Slender Man is described as wearing a black business suit. He's also very tall and tends to peek into windows.

I think I have an answer to some of the "flying" posts in this thread. When you are trying to fall asleep, sometimes you enter a state where you are able to project yourself out of your body, otherwise known as astral projection. While in this state you can go wherever you like depending on how freely you can let go of your physical body. Some can even project themselves into outer space! It's something I'd love to learn how to do but it requires a lot of mental training.

And now for my creepy memory:

When I was about 6 years old I went to go see the Spice World movie in theaters with a bunch of my family members (I can't really say went because I was too young to do stuff freely like that). At the end of the movie where the Spice Girls walk up to the screen and start talking, I distinctly remember them saying, (one Spice girl) "Hey girls come look! Isn't he cute?". (other Spice Girl) "Who?" (other other Spice Girl) "That little boy right there *points to me*" I got shy and decided to hide behind one of the seats, and what followed was probably the creepiest thing I've ever experienced. (one Spice Girl) "Aw where'd he go?" (the other) "Oh look he's going to pop up!" After which I stand up from behind the seat, "*giggles and laughter*". They then wave and say goodbye which I then waved goodbye back. The movie then continued to the credits. Now I told this story to tell another story.

When the Spice World movie came out for VCR, we rented it and invited my cousins and aunt to watch it at our house. When it got to that last scene in the movie, the Spice Girls proceeded to talk about each individual person in the room. The most vivid being when they complimented my cousin's dress. Now it seems really weird to me that the dialogue at the end of the movie changed to match what was going on outside the TV. Anybody else have creepy moments related to Spice World?

Wiki:

the film's climax, the girls performed their song "Spice Up Your Life". Footage airs during the closing credits of the films various stars talking about the film, and even talking to the girls. Mel C then looks towards the camera, and tells the other girls someone is watching them. The girls talk into the camera, and discuss various things. Victoria even says to a certain woman in the audience, "Hey you. No, not you, behind you. Yea, to the left a bit. I like your dress". When Mel C says "I know what you're all thinking. What happened to the bomb on the bus?" her question is answered by a loud explosion in the distance.

Its supposed to be like that, idk about the part in the theater

I could remember 3 separate incidents: the first one happened while I was 6-7 years old and at my grandfather's house. there used to be a tall building down the street where anyone could walk through the lobby. whenever i cut through the lobby to get to the other side, as i looked down the street, i could still see my grandfather's place and the same scenery. it seemed as though I'm viewing the same street even though i was at the opposite side.

the next was during school camp when i was 12. it was located in a forested area. everyone was sitting in a circle where I spotted blue and red lights glowing on some trees. i nudged my friend beside me and she saw the same thing too. but somehow, we never talked abt it again.

the last one happened when i was 7 or 8 years old. i had a high fever and there used to be a poster which taught kids how to tell the time. i was telling my mum the hands on the clocks were moving around.

its pretty weird how a kid's imagination becomes super wild..

I remember when i was 4, i had this dream, that still seems very fresh in my mind. Where i was in a cage, in a living room, and realized i was a parrot. Then i saw my mom when she was in her early late 20s (which my mom only gave birth to me at the age of 36) she was with her friends smoking and talking. And then i woke up. Weird part is, it was at the age of 8 that my mom had told me that she use to have a parrot which she accidentally kill when putting the room full of chemical product to kill flies. She's told me she had the cage hanged at the ceiling of the living room, and often had friends over to smoke and talk. just like in my dream.

I starting thinking of maybe reincarnation from animals do happen and that i might have been that parrot?

Nonetheless, it was freaking weird.

• 1 month later...

I remember, quite clearly, seeing a centaur galloping through the woods on the side of the highway on the way up to my Aunt's house on Long Island, NY. Obviously, I don't believe it was real, but it was definitely a real memory... very detailed. (Don't ask me how a centaur was keeping up with a car doing 60mph).

Actually, if you go to "Your True Tales" website, and look under "strange creatures" ther are many people who have seen centaur like creatures like you described who swear they really saw them.

I've got a couple of weird false memories from when I was little.

1. I was about 5-6 and I walked into my parents bedroom for some reason or other. They had a chair placed under the bedroom window and sat on the chair was a 3 foot tall goblin like creature. I took one look at it and just calmly walked back out of the room.

2. I was about 4 and I was sat in the kitchen sink having a wash. While having this wash I look out of the kitchen window to see my dad using a pitch fork to try and kill a wolf.

I know they can't have happened, well I hope not anyway. :P

I've always been able to remember this strange dream I had around the age of 4-5. I can recall that I was standing in the little TV room in my neighbors house and I was looking out their window viewing their back yard, and there was this little miniature yellow hot air balloon thing just hovering a few feet off the ground by itself.

I'm not sure what made me think of that, but for some strange reason I always misremembered it as an actual memory rather than a dream.

I always had a few very strange "memories", but the more I thought about them the more obvious it became that they were just childhood dreams that I could remember.

I remember, quite clearly, seeing a centaur galloping through the woods on the side of the highway on the way up to my Aunt's house on Long Island, NY. Obviously, I don't believe it was real, but it was definitely a real memory... very detailed. (Don't ask me how a centaur was keeping up with a car doing 60mph).

Your not the only who saw this Creature (that's all I am Saying)

I remember being able to float down stairs and levitate. There was a recent thread on that here.

Also, I remember being in a very bad fire or disaster that took place on the boardwalk in Wildwood, new jersey. I remember very clearly a ferris wheel toppling, but there are no such news records or anything regarding something like this in the time frame I was there for.

That's a weird memory that I sorta of Share with you. I used to go to WW every year, when I was 8 was the year Castle Dracula burned to the ground. I grew attached to the Castle as my favorite ride on the entire boardwalk. I feel as well as remember that I was there when It happen, it as clear as day although I was 125 miles away!

If you have vivid memories of WW then I can see the Fire Memory, God knows WW had it's share of Bad Fires

MMM

Two things for me one was true!

I distinctly remember driving to my grandmothers house in Plymouth MA from the Philadelphia area, we would go up 95 over the GWB and almost all the way there. I remember looking out as we went across a bridge and seeing many old abandoned huge paddlewheel steamers laying rotting on the river. I always looked for them when we went to visit about once a year but never saw them again. It must have been a dream.

For years I remembered seeing a report about aliens landing in england on TV and soldiers chasing them, they had 'artists illustrations' for the news segment. I remembered being terrified by it as a child and had always wondered if it was a dream. When I was in college they had a guest speaker who was a paranormal investigator and after the lecture I asked him about it, he told me about the Rendelsham forest incident and I went and read up on it and that had to be the report I had seen. Perhaps some of these memories are true after all

I used to have cases where I would be so exhausted that I would collapse into an extremely deep sleep without realising. When I did this, I entered a really clear dream state in which I fell asleep in my parents home (I had actually fallen asleep at my grans house), I would then proceed to roll down the stairs headfirst and wake up in my bed at my grans house (confused as hell) facing a different way to the way I actually fell asleep . Suffice to say that it was all clear as day when it happened and I thought I had the power to travel to other places by rolling down the stairs. :lol:

I also had one about 2 years ago in which I fell asleep and immediately 'woke up' (in my dream) to find my room basking in an eerie green glow. I looked out of my window and there was a rotting corpse with a noose around her neck hanging from the roof outside my room, motionless. After this I ran into my parents room (in my dream) and tried to wake them but they were dead and rotting too and nobody could hear me shouting. I then actually woke up to find everything normal, only to actually wake up again (for real this time lol). The hanging woman incident I could swear actually happened, but as the days grew further away from that incident, I realised it had to have been just a dream.

Confuddling, no :w00t:

Does anyone have any odd childhood memories--which you remember as something very real happening to you, but looking back upon it you know it couldn't have possibly happened?

I remember when I was about 4 years old and had just gotten out of the shower. I was wrapped only in a towel but got sidetracked and started watching the tv show The Price Is Right. After a few minutes the guy who was hosting The Price Is Right turned and looked directly at me and said "Put some clothes on already!"

I know this couldn't have possibly happened, but my memory of it is very real. Has this happened to anyone else? What was your experience?

ok!!!..that's kinda weird...........i remember being at friends of my parents place and seeing their small son drown in their pool......i have told my mum many times that i remember seeing that happen.......what's weird!!!.....she new the family i was talking about.....and yes they did have a son that drowned.......scary thing is.....he died before i was born

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few that I can remember all occuring when I was between 6 and 9 years old and in no particular order:

When I was young we would go visit both sets of grand parents in one evening of the week (I think it was either a Saturday night given the TV shows). So me and my siblings would be cramped into the back of the car for the journey. I remember we where just about to pass through a village at the edge of a conurbation that was within a few miles of the mining village I lived at and I had the urge to look out the window as I did I looked up and I swear down I saw a triangular aircraft that was seemingly made up of 3 spheres (one at each of the 3 corners) with 3 cylinders connecting them. I remember one sphere glowing blue, one glowing red and the other yellow and the cylinders had what appeared to be small white lights (at the time I thought them to be windows). After a minute or so of looking at it I started to quietly freak out and stopped looking out the window and sat as far into the seat as I could so as to block myself from seeing it.

The only person in the car (there where 5 of us sitting in the back where only 3 where designed to sit) to notice anything was my second oldest sister who asked me if everything was ok to which I lied and said it was, no one else seemed to respond (attention or otherwise) to the very brief conversation and we carried on to our destination.

---

I was at home and went to get a drink from the kitchen, doing so required I pass through the dinning room to get to the kitchen. Leeding off from one corner of the room was a corridoor that lead to the bathroom and directly opposite the dinning room (and on this corridoor) where the stairs. I remember seeing a really lanky/ tall shadowperson squatting down on a enlarged step half way up our curved stair case, I just stood there in the dinning room mesmerised by it watching its subtle movements as it seemingly fidgeted. My concentration on it is broken as the same sister kicks me from behind as she goes passed me and into the kitchen, I look back at the stairs but the shadow man as gone and I go to the kitchen to make my drink while someone else is around and don't respond to her question of "what where you looking at".

---

I was out near to the former pit with some other local kids when one lead us to this (what I remember) to be a semi-submerged (on its side) cylindrical brick building (kind of like how pig stys are on some farms) but the only way into it was on top of it the hatch was gone and no where in site it was pitch black inside and you could only see that inside there where remnants of ladder rungs embeded into the other side of the thing. We dropped stones down it to see how deep it was only for us to conclude that it must be pretty deep as we never heard the stones hit the bottom. I remember for some reason we came to the conclusion (probably the shape) that it must be a bomb shelter for the pit workers and left it at that. In 2008 I visited my old village again (I'd left around 10 years prior) in order to check out areas where I went in my younger days and couldn't find this "sheler" at all, though I did get lost in the area due to the really well done reclamation work landscapists have done to the old pit site.

---

I remember accidentally discovering I was able to "glide" about foot off the ground for a few metres in a similar pose to most super heroes, I even remember intentionally ditching most people at school for a few days worth school lunch breaks so I could glide by myself around the back field of my school. Then I stopped being able to glide much to my dismay and went back to playing with my friends again I remember getting a few weird looks from them when I rejoined the group.

---

I remember waking up when everyone was asleep and looking out the window I looked up the street and saw that in the big hole that the house at the top of the street had in their garden someone was in there. I watched for a bit longer and saw them attempt to get out a few times before they managed to get out (it was a big hole, the house owner used a ladder to get in and out but this "person" seemingly didn't). They walked off the garden and onto the top of the street to be light up by street lights and to my utter fright I realised it was Freddy Krueger who seemed to be deciding which of the three directions he would go. I remember being frozen to the spot watching him and hoping he would go in one of the two other directions and away from me and for a moment I was so greatful when he walked in the one direction that lead furthest away from me only for him to look around just before the houses would have blocked his view. He quickly noticed me and I went into silent panick and utter dread as he turned around and moved quickly back up the street and then down mine, I remember looking around for some where to hide and in the end chose to hide under the bed where I could watch the stairs through the gap in the door to see if he was inside or not. I was so far past being able to talk and was lying down petrified under my bed waiting for him to get me, then the sound of someone going up the stairs began, because of the stairs being partially curved in design I could only see someone if they where near to the top (Or if they where tall then immediately after the enlarged step) so as the sound of each step taken reached my ears I was closer and closer to wetting myself.

Imagine my bemusement when the only thing that reached the top step after walking up was my families very old pet dog who went to lay down on the basket she had upstairs on the landing, I remained under the bed a few minutes thinking that perhaps Freddy was still out there looking for me and waiting for me to come out again. Eventually I decided to come out from under the bed and cautiously went back to the window and looked out to see no one. I decided I would go back to sleep and then hid under my duvet for ages until I was able to calm down enough to go to sleep. That was the most terrifying event in my life.

Edited by Ormus

Dreamed of eating the world's biggest marshmellow and waking up and finding my pillow into pieces all over the bed. :devil:

Edited by Graveyard Hound

• 6 months later...

at the age of 6 i used to "talk" to a shadow on the northern wall of my room and used to describe it as "bright darkness". my parents & grandparents said it's the devil, lol.

I remember being 5 and mother calling me to the back door to look at a deer. It was an albino that had only 3 legs. I even remember my mother saying "Someone was probably huntin it". I ask my mom about this all the time. She doesn't remember it or anything else I ask her about. She says I must have "The best memory ever". :innocent:

• 8 years later...
On 4/14/2009 at 5:23 PM, NosmoKing said:

Does anyone have any odd childhood memories--which you remember as something very real happening to you, but looking back upon it you know it couldn't have possibly happened?

I remember when I was about 4 years old and had just gotten out of the shower. I was wrapped only in a towel but got sidetracked and started watching the tv show The Price Is Right. After a few minutes the guy who was hosting The Price Is Right turned and looked directly at me and said "Put some clothes on already!"

I know this couldn't have possibly happened, but my memory of it is very real. Has this happened to anyone else? What was your experience?

I do not remember what age I was, but I have this memory, and for some reason I remember it. I’m 20 years old now, but I remember it clear as day. I’m a small child no more than the age of 2, and I’m asleep with my parents in their bed. Something hairy all over it’s body comes into the room, carries me out of the room, out the back door and into the backyard. That’s all I remember. Anyone know what that means or does anyone relate to a story like that?

• Like 1

When I was 7 (40 now) we had a house with a lovely garden and my mum grew beautiful roses, she'd cut some and put them in a vase in the dining room, I was looking at them very close up and thinking how beautiful they were when one of the small unopened rose buds moved! I screamed blue murder for my mum to come look, when I told her what I'd seen she told me to stop been silly and poked one of the rose buds with the long nail of her index finger and it ran, that was that, the vase, roses and everything went straight out of the window into the back garden, growing older it came back to me and I wondered if my mind had somehow twisted it so I called my mum earlier this year to ask if she remembered it the same way, she does and Im not sure if that makes me feel better or worse, we're in the UK and I've done endless Internet searches to try and find spiders or other creepies that camouflage as Rose buds with no joy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tasca said:

When I was 7 (40 now) we had a house with a lovely garden and my mum grew beautiful roses, she'd cut some and put them in a vase in the dining room, I was looking at them very close up and thinking how beautiful they were when one of the small unopened rose buds moved! I screamed blue murder for my mum to come look, when I told her what I'd seen she told me to stop been silly and poked one of the rose buds with the long nail of her index finger and it ran, that was that, the vase, roses and everything went straight out of the window into the back garden, growing older it came back to me and I wondered if my mind had somehow twisted it so I called my mum earlier this year to ask if she remembered it the same way, she does and Im not sure if that makes me feel better or worse, we're in the UK and I've done endless Internet searches to try and find spiders or other creepies that camouflage as Rose buds with no joy 

Well, I suppose if you hadn't panicked and thrown everything out the window. you might have had an answer. Next time !

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

Well, I suppose if you hadn't panicked and thrown everything out the window. you might have had an answer. Next time !

This is true but my mum was terrified of them, it was like a reflex, the cringe factor got me because it was just weird, I did go look at the mess outside but couldn't find any of them and never saw anything like it since

3 minutes ago, tasca said:

This is true but my mum was terrified of them, it was like a reflex, the cringe factor got me because it was just weird, I did go look at the mess outside but couldn't find any of them and never saw anything like it since

Lots of insects do exhibit colouration to match the host plant, otherwise they would quickly be fodder for birds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

Lots of insects do exhibit colouration to match the host plant, otherwise they would quickly be fodder for birds.

Crab spider, I'm pretty sure that's the critter, found it after another search today, feel like my post is invalid now lol

• Haha 1

I have a memory of seeing the Lizardman chase after my grandmothers stationwagon while my cousins and i were in the back.

Also, one of me opening the car door on the interstate when I was 5 and rolling and sliding across the asphalt. I still remember the pain, the look of my shredded skin and everything.

Neither event happened.