Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crossroads Demon

ThiefGold

My apologies if this is not in the right place. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of a crossroads demon aside from the one in the show "Supernatural". I've been looking all over the web today and all I can find is references to the show.

Any help would be great :)

Thanks

The most famous reference is probably Goethe's Faust and meeting the Devil at the crossroads, and also there is apparently an occult ritual: http://www.luckymojo.com/crossroads.html .

• Like 1

Jesus H Christ. ITS A FREAKING TV SHOW!

WOW! Thank you for that incredibly helpful observation :)

That would be why I asked if anyone had heard of one that was real ;)

Thanks for the link Paranormalcy

Edited by ThiefGold

I've never heard of a "crossroads demon", but nor would I want to hear anything about Supernatural either. x( It's a horrible X Files ripoff.

Alot of cultures have lore involving the devil or a demon at the crossroads. Heres a really nice bit of crossroads lore

http://irelandsown.net/crossroads.html

BTW, the legend of a devil at the crossroads buying souls is refrenced in the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

Also related to crossroads lore is the Corpse Road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpse_road

The Devil at the crossroads is also a big Delta Blues tradition.

The story goes that you trade your soul for the ability to play guitar really great.

This is absolutely true, at least on a metaphorical level. :P

I've never heard of a "crossroads demon", but nor would I want to hear anything about Supernatural either. x( It's a horrible X Files ripoff.

Yes it is. It kills me that people believe anything they see on TV or a movie. Its sad.

Yes it is. It kills me that people believe anything they see on TV or a movie. Its sad.

Even CSI: Miami?

linked-image

Thats why I stopped watching Paranormal state. aside from the YOU GOT A DEMON IN YOUR HOUSE!!!! Time to call the vatican!

Edited by Smeagol1

The Devil at the crossroads is also a big Delta Blues tradition.

The story goes that you trade your soul for the ability to play guitar really great.

This is absolutely true, at least on a metaphorical level. :P

This is why I asked. While the show obviously takes liberties with it's content a lot of it is based on real legend and superstition. I've written down the names of every supernatural being that the show has used and all of them came up from culture in some point in history. The only one I couldn't place was the crossroads demon

i think its the truth in everything paranormal in Supernatural cuz i did some research on things they hunt,, they are always the same thing just like they hunt. They dont BS about the paranormal anyway.. I mean if they really BS about it,, some people will shoot the series. Except for ghost have family, well, a bit unexplainable and no one knows for sure.

i think its the truth in everything paranormal in Supernatural cuz i did some research on things they hunt,, they are always the same thing just like they hunt. They dont BS about the paranormal anyway.. I mean if they really BS about it,, some people will shoot the series. Except for ghost have family, well, a bit unexplainable and no one knows for sure.

What?

This is why I asked. While the show obviously takes liberties with it's content a lot of it is based on real legend and superstition. I've written down the names of every supernatural being that the show has used and all of them came up from culture in some point in history. The only one I couldn't place was the crossroads demon

I know Ive read several Devil/Crossroads stories that are attributed to Scottish, Irish or Welsh origins, my bet is the Delta Blues version can track back to there or France. So if you really want to know more, at least youve got starting places.

You think everything in a TV series is the truth?

Jesus, you're an easy audience, aren't you?

You think everything in a TV series is the truth?

Jesus, you're an easy audience, aren't you?

You need to sell him/her that beach front land you got in Nevada.

You need to sell him/her that beach front land you got in Nevada.

Psst, Bob, there ARE beaches in Nevada :P

Aren't you supposed to bury something at a crossroads?

In Greek mythology, the goddess Hecate was worshipped at crossroads. Hecate was a double-natured divinity, worshipped as an agricultural fertility divinity during the day but as a goddess of witchcraft, ghosts, and tombs at night. Descended from the Titans, she "uncomfortably combined fertility with death as a power of the earth," and the Athenians "once a month . . . placed offerings of food at crossroads, where her influence was said to be felt."

(Information and quotes from "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology, by Arthur Cotterell and Rachel Storm; London: Hermes House, 2006; p. 47.)

If I recall, it was Robert Johnson who was supposed to have sold his soul to the devil at a crossroads for his awesum blues skillz.

Aren't you supposed to bury something at a crossroads?

Criminals were often hung at the crossroads, the Romans often crucified people at the crossroads.

If I recall, it was Robert Johnson who was supposed to have sold his soul to the devil at a crossroads for his awesum blues skillz.

Yep

Robert Johnson

Edited by MirrorImage

Criminals were often hung at the crossroads, the Romans often crucified people at the crossroads.

Yep

Robert Johnson

I was gonna say!

Jeeeez you guys. Havnt you listened to the good tunes?

One of my fav songs is the retake on Crossroads by Cream.

I mean helllooo.......

But I think the deal with Crossroads (my interpretation...) is that its more about want than a place... the place has a historal/musical value rather than a mythical. If it is even true. Its all about wanting/needing something in that way where the powers can't ignore it....

(yes drunk, hence reference to the powers... lol... love buffy...)

Edited by XErotica

There is a fantastic movie Crossroads starring Ralph Macchio. It's based on the same legend.