Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Tournament ideas

D1CKY D1AMOND

I'm all in! What do we need to do to get this thing going?

Ummm *rummages in pockets* Well I have a stick of gum and this button....

Edited by Littlest Ninja

I'd definitely be keen for a poker tourny. I play online all the time, and the odd live game for APL, but not so much anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I won't have an opportunity to organise a tournament for a while due to the site design update taking up most of my free time however I haven't forgotten about it.

Having thought a bit more about it i'm not sure that a poker tournament would be practical however as it would be very difficult to have everyone on-line at the same time to play any games given time zones etc. Correspondance style games would seem to be a better choice.

What i'll probably do is archive this board for a while and bring it back again once a new tournament is ready to begin.

So you have put the debates tournament to the forseable future?....

Thanks

B???

There's no concrete plans to hold a debates tournament however its possible that the debates board will return at some point in the future. The problem with the debates is that they are a lot of work to set up and the last time we held them there was only limited interest, most people prefer the open and less formal style discussions we have on the forums.

Unfortunately I won't have an opportunity to organise a tournament for a while due to the site design update taking up most of my free time however I haven't forgotten about it.

Having thought a bit more about it i'm not sure that a poker tournament would be practical however as it would be very difficult to have everyone on-line at the same time to play any games given time zones etc. Correspondance style games would seem to be a better choice.

What i'll probably do is archive this board for a while and bring it back again once a new tournament is ready to begin.

OK hun I hear you. It would be hard to organize and I did think about that. A few of us UM-er's do play texas hold'em somewhere else and what we do is just set a time and show up. Not sure if that is too relaxed for here but it works. If you can make it happen- awesome... If you cannot, then that's cool too. We understand :yes: Thanks for even considering it!! ♥

There's no concrete plans to hold a debates tournament however its possible that the debates board will return at some point in the future. The problem with the debates is that they are a lot of work to set up and the last time we held them there was only limited interest, most people prefer the open and less formal style discussions we have on the forums.

well sure...if you just think you need volunteers, I would readily accept.I haven't yet attended one and my eagerness stimulates me to ask you so....Sorry

Thanks

B???

I think if it is advertised(on the main page, a sticky on every forumn, as welcome message in chat,etc.) and possibly if there are rewards for example "Debate Champion" as a title bar(like where you have Moderator) people will do it.

The problem with Formal Debates is in my opinion there usually isn't a point. Usually I can just debate/discuss in the thread itself. In a Formal Debate I would have to do a lot more research, spend more time, and gather sources. There is no way to officially 'win' and an opponent would be unlikely to admit defeat so you spend all the time and effort just for yourself because other members don't usually go into Formal Debates to read about Aliens they go into the Aliens forum to read about Aliens. It's just not very fun.

A tournament gives a clear victor, brings attention to the debate itself, and generally gives members a reason to debate formally rather then just debate within a topic. I you or other moderators choose the debate topics, say the most popular of each forum section then people would jump at it...general Believer versus Skeptic would work for most of the paranormal.

However that is a mess of moderator work to deal with I would imagine.

Edited by Cadetak