Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Worlds Wolf

Is it me or is it that its not just christianity that predicted the 2012 events.

i mean it seems this whole thing was started off by the Mayan Religion then it seems everyone else was quick to jump in. wouldnt it be odd if it did happen. wouldnt that proove the mayan religion and other pagan beliefs true? also to me it seems most of the events would be caused by our own demise. another thing if christianity has all these events that come one by one um wouldnt the first and second one be enough to wipe out the planet? i find it funny they say that people would gather their armys at the end.. WHAT ARMYS? we would be dead. or too frightened to fight back anyway seriously. im just a bit lost in this idea of events. i think it will be one or two events. mostly one led because of the other. such as astroid hitting then causing cosmic winter like the Jerrasic Era. im not the smartest guy on this topic which is why im questioning.

im still alil skeptical about the definition of how people are defining what will happen. same for it happening in the first place as well.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Worlds Wolf

• Harte

• Pan

• danydandan

ive also seen other people back this info up to. that its just not christianity its the base of Mayan and Aztec Callanders not the bible =\ or at least not JUST the bible. i find it funny that christians well some. wish this would happen to proove others wrong (not just Atheist im sure) but technically if it was proven true and it did happen it would actually disproove christianity and would contredict itself (sorry for spelling). it makes me upset how someone could take a old peice of history and twist it to their own desired way. this scares me to believe.. maybe christianity is a twisty religion. i feel sorry for (if existed) Jesus as his words have been twisted from our selfish minds.. what a shame. im agnostic and hell i think that if i was him id be upset =\ but would understand.

Prior to asking if this would prove their predictions right, you should first find out what their predictions are.

I think you will be hard-pressed to find actual, first-hand, predictions. Mostly it's people saying that others predicted these things, but no actual sources to the actual predictions themselves.

Frankly, it gets to the point where you ask yourself "Hasn't anyone predicted anything about 2012?"

The Mayans never predicted anything for 2012 except their calendar would end and it would be the end of an age. Others who came along decided that must mean something catastrophic that would end or change mankind forever

Exactly. The Mayans didn't say the end of the world would be at the end of their calander..They didn't even stay around until the end of their calander.

Yes, and on top of that, all of those hyped "sudden-end-of-world" theories always turn out to be wrong.

Does anyone still remember the various times odd sects predicted the end of world, accurately to one day? Or (as a less drastic example) the Y2K hysteria?

Is it me or is it that its not just christianity that predicted the 2012 events.

Because others have pointed out that the Maya never predicted anything (that we know of) about the year 2012, allow me to point out that there is also no Christian prediction about that year.

Harte

Because others have pointed out that the Maya never predicted anything (that we know of) about the year 2012, allow me to point out that there is also no Christian prediction about that year.

Harte

Christianity predicts the end of the world soon. “Jesus is coming soon” is a prediction for ‘end of the world scenario’ at any time.

… there is a rapture prediction for 2012.

http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm

oh and the Mayans stopped their calendar by this age because they knew they’d be out of the jungle by then and would be able to check the date with their laptops. They is smart.

Christianity predicts the end of the world soon. “Jesus is coming soon” is a prediction for ‘end of the world scenario’ at any time.

Considering that there is no Biblical justification for the "rapture," what I said about Christianity still stands.

From your link:

2012 James T. Harmon's Rapture prediction #3. (Oropeza p.89)

Note it says "third prediction." What about the other two? Harmon has glommed onto he stupid idea of the world ending because of the end of a particularly long calendar year (see below.)

Dec 21, 2012 Terence McKenna combines Mayan chronology with a New Age pseudoscience called Novelty Theory to conclude that the collision an asteroid or some "trans-dimensional object" with the Earth, or alien contact, or a solar explosion, or the transformation of the Milky Way into a quasar, or some other "ultranovel" event will occur on this day. Anyway, something is supposed to happen, and he has lots of pseudoscientific gobbledygook to back up his thesis.

Terrance McKenna is not a leader in any Christian movement, and is a practitioner of pseudoscience, though his version is probably less harmful to the accumulated knowledge of the human race than, for example, that of Graham Hancock.

Dec 23, 2012 The world to end, according to the ancient Mayan calendar. (Abanes p.342)
No Maya writings exist that make this prediction, nor is that date the end even of the Mayan Calendar, no more than December 31 is the end of the Gregorian Calendar.

oh and the Mayans stopped their calendar by this age because they knew they’d be out of the jungle by then and would be able to check the date with their laptops. They is smart.

Good one. That is, I hope that's supposed to be funny (you never know with some of the posters around here!)

Let me say that as of today, the Maya are still living in the jungle for the most part.

Harte

Are you saying that a “rapture prediction” is not a “Christian prediction”?

No

Ezekiel started that trend

His bible is the oldest in the world and is in display in Jeruslam

He was the first to mention the end of days .

He said a great messiah will lead not just people from Jeruslam but people from all nations to Edan

This messiah later was ment to come from the bloodline of King David

Thats were Jesus comes in

Me thinks

thanks all for attributing to this in a actually surprising clean way. keep it up.

i know that they dont predict anything. most of it is just another idea of it but still it seems it wasnt sparked until that date was mentioned and the Mayan callander ending as well as the Aztec Callander starts a new cycle. my curiosity is where is all this evidence that (what is likely to happen one day anyway of the signs or what not of doom gloom day) is why do they link it all to that date \=/. im sure it was easy. the idea of ANYTHING happening in 2012 that would change is a 50 50 to me right now.

how could someone make such a big debate of some old freakin callander with all the other stuff happening.

oh btw yes i remember the one from the 1999 of Y2K i was young then it was about mostly machinery not programed for those numbers lol from what i remember. ive also heard about the one in the 70s*80s which sparked the last Great Awakening. which never happened.

oh fyi ive read no one can predict the rapture.. nor is the idea of the rapture mentioned in the bible.. i believe its called the Great Turbulation (sorry about grammer.)

also ive heard that the mayans have predicted some other stuff pretty accurately. but ive heard from other close soarces that it could of been interprited(grammer iknow) in other ways. can some people point out some of these prediction while i research. id like ideas from the public as well. remember though keep in mind the rules though im sure many are good with that.

No

Ezekiel started that trend

His bible is the oldest in the world and is in display in Jeruslam

He was the first to mention the end of days .

He said a great messiah will lead not just people from Jeruslam but people from all nations to Edan

This messiah later was ment to come from the bloodline of King David

Thats were Jesus comes in

Me thinks

sorry was'nt ezekiel it was isaish

I always thought they just hadn't made the next calendar yet. They could get it for cheaper in the post new years sales :) .

:lol:

Christianity has "predicted" the end of the world for centuries.

2012 is definitely a Mayan thing, but translated and twisted to suit 21st century mentality and culture.

Always remember, the Bible itself, upon which so many of these "predictions" are based, pretty clearly states that NO ONE will know when or how, and warns about false prophets. Seems pretty absurd, doesn't it?

Personally, I would take these Biblical warnings as an abstract lesson/warning rather than a literal interpretation, and the Mayan stuff should be seen as an opportunity, or a sign-post to start real change in the way humanity runs itself.

i believe 2012 will have a big change for our civilization, but i dont think the world gotta end because of the long count calendar ended. thing is, we human already ruining our own planet and the natural disasters which actually created by our own karma will get us all one day.

i mean it seems this whole thing was started off by the Mayan Religion then it seems everyone else was quick to jump in. wouldnt it be odd if it did happen. wouldnt that proove the mayan religion and other pagan beliefs true? also to me it seems most of the events would be caused by our own demise. another thing if christianity has all these events that come one by one um wouldnt the first and second one be enough to wipe out the planet? i find it funny they say that people would gather their armys at the end.. WHAT ARMYS? we would be dead. or too frightened to fight back anyway seriously. im just a bit lost in this idea of events. i think it will be one or two events. mostly one led because of the other. such as astroid hitting then causing cosmic winter like the Jerrasic Era. im not the smartest guy on this topic which is why im questioning.

im still alil skeptical about the definition of how people are defining what will happen. same for it happening in the first place as well.

as people pointed out in the other posts, neither of these religions pin point to a mass excinction event in 2012.

-Christiany has the book of revelations which can be interpreted in a various array of ways, one of them being an apocalyptic event, after which the lord will reign for "a thousand years"

-Mayans say 2012 will be the end of the 13th baktun of the long count calender.

-there's supposed to be a native hopi indian prophecy of 2012 aswell, iirc

-There's the Novelty Theory which also pinpoints to a 2012 date.

-There should be a legend of the golden ages in hindu (iirc, not exactly sure where it comes from) which also pinpoints to 2012

-Nostradamus quatrains can be interpreted to have a massive event of mass excintion between 2007 & 2012 aswell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Doomsday_prediction

edit: I forgot to add

christianity:Does not give a date of 2012, but shows a vision of john about the battle for heaven. (can be interpreted in a vast array of apocalyptic ways)

mayans:

the problem with the mayan calender is that we know _SO FEW_ of the mayans.

we have 1 depiction of the 2012 event to base ourself of, that comes along with a very interesting/perplexing calender system thats both astrological and spiritualy enlightened.

so it hards to give a complete scientific answer on to how the mayans understood it.

"(It will be) the descent(?) of the Nine Support(?) God(s) to the..." can be interpreted in alot of different ways.

Novelty Theory:

A very interesting concept, although some ppl have questioned its mathematical correctness.

It has its deepest foundations in Numerology, I Ching & King Wen sequences.

The auther discovered the deeper insight amongst these while under the influence of entheogen substances.

(entheogen subtances have been primarely used be shamanic tribes since the dawn of man, There is concrete and absolute evidence that the mayan/native indian tribes have been using these entheogen plants since the earliest of era's. It was primarely used ofc for its spiritual/inducing god within you capabilities)

Nostradamus:

Albeit most interpretations of his quatrains have been wrong, he is still held in high regard by alot of 'pseudofuturologists'.

There are some quatrains which may be interpreted as a global event of exinction around this period, not necessarely pointing to 1 date.

Edited by darksoul_

Would you mind finding an academic source for these "Mayan" religious predictions? Because I guarantee they don't exist.

The mayans never predicted anything There calender just stops It means nothing

What other pagan religions have predicted the ''end''

Did'nt i read here that nasa believe the moon was a planet that collided with the earth

Maybe that explains the whole planet x thing

Would you mind finding an academic source for these "Mayan" religious predictions? Because I guarantee they don't exist.

Only one Mayan inscription, Tortuguero Monument 6, directly mentions the end of the 13th baktun, which corresponds to 2012. It has been defaced, though Mayan scholar David Stuart has attempted a partial translation:

Tzuhtz-(a)j-oom u(y)-uxlajuun pik

(ta) Chan Ajaw ux(-te') Uniiw.

Uht-oom ...

Y-em(al) ... Bolon Yookte' K'uh ta ...

The Thirteenth 'Bak'tun" will be finished

(on) Four Ajaw, the Third of Uniiw (K'ank'in).

... will occur.

(It will be) the descent(?) of the Nine Support(?) God(s) to the...[8]

However, no one knows exactly what it means.

Only one Mayan inscription, Tortuguero Monument 6, directly mentions the end of the 13th baktun, which corresponds to 2012. It has been defaced, though Mayan scholar David Stuart has attempted a partial translation:

Tzuhtz-(a)j-oom u(y)-uxlajuun pik

(ta) Chan Ajaw ux(-te') Uniiw.

Uht-oom ...

Y-em(al) ... Bolon Yookte' K'uh ta ...

The Thirteenth 'Bak'tun" will be finished

(on) Four Ajaw, the Third of Uniiw (K'ank'in).

... will occur.

(It will be) the descent(?) of the Nine Support(?) God(s) to the...[8]

However, no one knows exactly what it means.

The term following uht-oom is the main puzzle, and largely

effaced. The "descent" reference is highly tentative, too.

Ref

So all we know for sure about an inscription that tells us that the 13th Bak'tun will be finished is that... the 13th Bak'tun will finish.

Pointlessly vague.

The term following uht-oom is the main puzzle, and largely

effaced. The "descent" reference is highly tentative, too.

Ref

So all we know for sure about an inscription that tells us that the 13th Bak'tun will be finished is that... the 13th Bak'tun will finish.

Pointlessly vague.

and a vague reference to bolon yokte (god of creation?) that will do smth/descent on something (?)

its vague, but worthy of speculation imo

Are you saying that a “rapture prediction” is not a “Christian prediction”?

The fact that a minority of the large group of humanity identifying themselves as "Christian" believe a rather stilted interpretation of John's rant against Nero (Revelations) does not make the THIRD prediction of the date of the Rapture a prediction attributable to the religion Christianity, as your post seemed to indicate.

Harte

heh.