Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IF.....

As a Matter of Fact

all religions had not taken place to shape society way back when they had to write down the rules of what is good and what is bad, do any of you think we would have the modern society we are currenty living in?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• As a Matter of Fact

• Omnaka

• ravergirl

all religions had not taken place to shape society way back when they had to write down the rules of what is good and what is bad, do any of you think we would have the modern society we are currenty living in?

yeap

This is a good question, and my answer is probably not. My thinking is that a lot of conquest wouldn't have happened, though if it wasn't about religion we'd find something else to hate each other for.

I'm pretty sure man know right from wrong before they wrote it all down LOL

Morals don't come from the bible.............there has been a world full of good and bad people long before the christian bible ever was written...

The question I find asking myself is how can man and woman know what is good and bad if something didn't show them the differences.

The question I find asking myself is how can man and woman know what is good and bad if something didn't show them the differences.

You're talking about 'conscience'. And yes, man had it before he invented/realized god. However, the fear that eternal damnation would await anyone who "sinned", definitely provided another (and arguably more powerful) reason not to.

It would be ignorant to think that no one would understand good and bad without religion...people are born with both sets of morals...we just naturally know how to use what we see is comon sense

Go and punch some guy in the face and see what happens back and see if you like it.

It would be ignorant to think that no one would understand good and bad without religion...people are born with both sets of morals...we just naturally know how to use what we see is comon sense

People aren't born with a set of morals. They learn to recognize good and bad behavior based on their experience. If you applaud your child for running in the house they will run in everyones house and be shocked to get scolded later. Morals are learned from parents. Just like language.

People aren't born with a set of morals. They learn to recognize good and bad behavior based on their experience. If you applaud your child for running in the house they will run in everyones house and be shocked to get scolded later. Morals are learned from parents. Just like language.

AHA you have a point ravegirl...I never thought about that....

Well you could say we are all born with them....its up to our parents and guardians to show us what ones are right and what ones are wrong

again I dont believe we need a religion to point this out....man has known the differences long before a bible of any sort was ever written

AHA you have a point ravegirl...I never thought about that....

Well you could say we are all born with them....its up to our parents and guardians to show us what ones are right and what ones are wrong

again I dont believe we need a religion to point this out....man has known the differences long before a bible of any sort was ever written

I don't think religion has anything to do with morality other than pointing out things being immoral that otherwise shouldn't be. Our species isn't really prone to monogamy for instance.

I don't think religion has anything to do with morality other than pointing out things being immoral that otherwise shouldn't be. Our species isn't really prone to monogamy for instance.

Its all man........ just like religion - man made

This is a good question, and my answer is probably not. My thinking is that a lot of conquest wouldn't have happened, though if it wasn't about religion we'd find something else to hate each other for.

Unfortunately Your right....one things humans are very good at is hating others who have a different belief system. Most wars in antiquity were fought because of religious differences....come to think of it, look whats happening in Iran/Afghanistan/Pakistan, etc. today.

Natural Selection.

dying bad, survival good

things that increase odds of dying bad.

things that increase survival good.

plug any stupid rule from any religion into natural selection and you'll find it exhibits some survival based reaosoning.

hmm.. im thinking it could. and people would need a name for it and theyd just name it the bible and god is the main ruler in it and yeah..thats probly what happened.

only difference i could see is people would be more open minded. i mean look at the holaucaust, how gladiators entertained people, slavery, and all that stuff thats happened WITH a god. it'd be the same i think.

I personally think that we as a race evolved morals gradually LONG before any of the currently practiced religions were around.

Basically, tribes of proto-humans that worked out internal rules and guidelines that enabled them to work together better and look out for each other had the advantage over other tribes which killed each other and stole from each other willy-nilly.

Fledgling religions wrote them down and included a load of morals that were really only in context a few thousand years ago. Hence I think that some religious morals are unnecessary in this day and age and don't fulfil their original purpose.

That's how I see it, but I'm no expert on evolution or sociology, so anyone who is, feel free to pick it apart and educate me, LOL

You're talking about 'conscience'. And yes, man had it before he invented/realized god. However, the fear that eternal damnation would await anyone who "sinned", definitely provided another (and arguably more powerful) reason not to.

'conscience'......so where did we get it from?

randomhit10

I think that if the world had evolved without religion, we'd already be living in space. Religion stunted advancement through the ages and indeed caused most wars in the world. So without it, those wouldn't have happened. Take the fall of Rome for example, or the holocaust, and many others.

then we would probably live like african tribes. we recongized morals way before any major religious events.

'conscience'......so where did we get it from?

randomhit10

every living thing has "conscience" its just ours and some other animals have gotten bigger and more ealization of what we are around.

I disagree that consciousness = conscience/morality in the human race is inborn. Looking over the vast examples of morality, both currently and historically, you see a wide variance as to what is considered 'moral and just'.

The question that arises is some of you believe that we knew the differences between what is right or wrong. Well how can those people back than learn those differences if they weren't A: Taught the differences. B. Or something like God spoke to them or planted that seed within ourselves to acknowledge the differences?

lolo

I think things would definitely be different. How is hard to say for sure. Everyones idea of what is good and what is bad is differing around the world. Even within our own country not all 50 states can agree to uphold all the same laws. I am referring to mens laws because I feel it is a good example of how things would be without religion. We would always have to listen to someone. Only we wouldnt have the luxoury of whether or not we wanted to believe and follow it. It would be demanded...its the law. Or go to jail. I also think jail to a lot of people is the only thing that stops them from commiting crimes. Its not that they feel the crime itself is bad its doing the time they dont like. Can you imagine a world where there was no written laws from man or God? Would you like to depend on the goodness of people alone? Now that would be Hell.

I agree.

Also Why Father and Mother love unconditionally, It is expected, and Understood.

Love Omnaka

reason , empathy , compassion ......... doesn't come from religion.