Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IF.....

As a Matter of Fact

all religions had not taken place to shape society way back when they had to write down the rules of what is good and what is bad, do any of you think we would have the modern society we are currenty living in?

No. Our past shapes our present. The journey makes us who we are.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• As a Matter of Fact

• Omnaka

• ravergirl

reason , empathy , compassion ......... doesn't come from religion.

Than where do they come from?

Experience.

Love Omnaka

The question I find asking myself is how can man and woman know what is good and bad if something didn't show them the differences.

Common sence. Deep down we know right from wrong we don't need anyone to tell us that. If your using the bible as an example don't that's a bad example.

'conscience'......so where did we get it from?

randomhit10

'Conscience' is a word describing our decision making process and the resulting emotions. It isn't a separate entity from our brain. My brother doesn't feel guilt appropriately and thus he makes decisions based on how much it will benifit him or not. It doesn't mean that he doesn't have a conscience. There is still a decision to be made and he still has to analyze the resulting consequences.

Like was stated experience...

the bible holds that slavery is ok. pedophilia is not addressed. multiple wives is fine. adulterers should be stoned ............ you get the idea. Supposedly God inspired man to write that book. with all the war and killing and raping I don't see it as a model for ethics or morality . it's contradictory in nature.

Man isn't perfect .... but morals don't come from God. Right now plenty of people see gays as immoral. I doubt that educated man 100 years from now will feel the same. Just as we don't keep slaves anymore or stone adulterers. ( well in the west anyway ! )

good point however ... in middle eastern countries women who commit adultery and sometimes men can still be stoned. that's fine in the bible . Morally God's word. do you agree with it ?

Ripley-

Morally God's word. do you agree with it ?
Yes!

What man twists God's word in to meaning?

NO!

Love Omnaka

Edited by Omnaka