Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The 2012 apocalypse and how to stop it

UM-Bot

Image credit: NASA
Image credit: NASA
NASA researchers earlier this year released a report detailing the devastating potential of massive solar storms due in 2012 as well as the environmental and economic damage that solar flares could wreak upon the Earth.

"For scary speculation about the end of civilization in 2012, people usually turn to followers of cryptic Mayan prophecy, not scientists. But that’s exactly what a group of NASA-assembled researchers described in a chilling report issued earlier this year on the destructive potential of solar storms."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Wired

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaoszerg

• HerNibs

• bee

• 3rd rock resident alien

Well I don't believe any doomsday crap but I would think it be a good idea if people were taught survival and how to live off the land, encase we do get hit by such a storm and all electronic equipment is fried. We rely on technology too much so we would be screwed if one of those storms hit that is why we all need to be taught survival skills.

Early to mid last year, NASA had an article on their site that explained how our solar system is bouncing up and down as it rotates around the center of the galaxy. It went on to say that in 2012 we will reach the galactic equator, which will maximize the gravitational forces powering the sun, likley causing massive solar flares. After a couple of weeks they took it down, not wanting to raise the alarm prematurely (or lend credit to the Mayans, Nostradameus and other astronomers/astrologers around the world who have been predicting the same thing). Anyway, they never bother to mention these facts I have stated. They just skirt around the details as if they are unimportant, as ussual. I am becomming really fed up with wired as a news scource. They always stay safely within the news networks preapproved line of thinking on any topic (perhaps to lend credibility), yet rarely does a wired writer have the presence of mind to come full circle with their spoon fed logic. In this case they not only refrain fron citing any scientific details, but interview a man whose stated profession is to profit from such an event, thus allowing them to have a sypathetic tone while giving ample amunition for the skeptic. Grow a pair Wired!

Well I don't believe any doomsday crap but I would think it be a good idea if people were taught survival and how to live off the land, encase we do get hit by such a storm and all electronic equipment is fried. We rely on technology too much so we would be screwed if one of those storms hit that is why we all need to be taught survival skills.

It's certainly helpful. I was fortunate to live in the countryside for the longest time. I've learned to fish and hunt over the years. One can live off hares with a simple knife and copper wires, if needed. It's a paperclip away from being MacGyver at times hehe.

Once again I must ask the disciples of doom on this forum; who exactly prophesied an apocalypse for 2012?

From the above cited article:-"Lawrence Joseph: I have enormous respect for Mayan astronomers. It disinclines me to dismiss this as a coincidence. But I recommend people verify that the Mayans prophesied what people say they did. I went to Guatemala and spent a week with two Mayan shamans who spent 20 years talking to other shamans about the prophecies. They confirmed that the Maya do see 2012 as a great turning point. Not the end of the world, not the great off-switch in the sky, but the birth of the fifth age"

"But I recommend people verify that the Mayans prophesied what people say they did."

Can anyone link me to reliable info that the Mayans actually predicted an Apocalypse? (a calendar ending is not a prediction)

Once again I must ask the disciples of doom on this forum; who exactly prophesied an apocalypse for 2012?

From the above cited article:-"Lawrence Joseph: I have enormous respect for Mayan astronomers. It disinclines me to dismiss this as a coincidence. But I recommend people verify that the Mayans prophesied what people say they did. I went to Guatemala and spent a week with two Mayan shamans who spent 20 years talking to other shamans about the prophecies. They confirmed that the Maya do see 2012 as a great turning point. Not the end of the world, not the great off-switch in the sky, but the birth of the fifth age"

"But I recommend people verify that the Mayans prophesied what people say they did."

Can anyone link me to reliable info that the Mayans actually predicted an Apocalypse? (a calendar ending is not a prediction)

What they mean is that when 2012 mayan calendar comes to and end. A new same framework mayan calendar would begin. Apply that in todays calendar, all they were saying is that its the end day of December and January 1 should follows next.

It's a new year for Mayans!

Sun sneezing towards earth. It's good. You get energized.

Dont be foolish please.

It's certainly helpful. I was fortunate to live in the countryside for the longest time. I've learned to fish and hunt over the years. One can live off hares with a simple knife and copper wires, if needed. It's a paperclip away from being MacGyver at times hehe.

same here and without technology to rely on people would definitely have to learn how to trust their senses about choices they make. Anyone remember about three or four years back there was a solar flare that happened but it was enough to take out cell phones for like a week? I was in high school at the time when that one happened. Anyways, Technology is over rated anyways. but when it does happen...if it happens...then people should really learn how to plant and grow, hunt and carve, use candles or trust your senses. But also, remember this folks, when technology goes down, so does all the prision doors that's been holding up all our old friends that supposedly went away to camp, ha, ha. So you best learn how to defend and kill too. So if and when that storm hits then prepare for the worst even if the worst doesn't occur but at least you'll be ready for it when it does.

If it comes down to it, I don't care, I'd eat people to survive.

hahahahaha! :lol:

absolute quality mate!

had me in stitches there... spilled my curry and everything!

spilled my curry and everything!

You just made yourself more tasty to him. :o You will be the first to go.

Edited by chaoszerg

I agree.

This is what we have to do. As a sensible precaution.

I've got this good book called 'The Commando Survival Mannual' that I bought off Ebay especially

for this. It makes me feel more secure knowing that I can learn useful stuff from this book.

For example....gathering dew...by soaking it up in a cloth from the grass, and then wringing it

out...(or sucking the cloth, I suppose, if there isn't enough to wring out)

And.... hanging out a light-coloured sheet at night...with a bowl of water at the bottom of it

Shine a torch behind the sheet. The moths hit the sheet, fall into the water and you can eat them

if you need to.....(boiled or roasted or dried+crushed)

Rock bottom basic survival...as a stop gap before getting something better together?

YUM....... :w00t:

Dew and moths....

Not as nice as a cup of tea and a piece of buttered toast....but beggars can't be choosers.... :D

(maybe a thread on basic survival tips would be a good idea?)

I've got this good book called 'The Commando Survival Mannual' that I bought off Ebay especially

I have a survival manual somewhere, in fact I think I may buy some more.

I think I may learn all that stuff because it would be a very handy skill in a crisis if there is one.

(maybe a thread on basic survival tips would be a good idea?)

I agree.

You need the Sun to survive. No Sun, no food.

Lets not start this rubbish again.

We know you like the sun so stop preaching about it, your like a broken record, what do you hope to accomplish by keep bagging on about the sun, are you hoping to convert people?

I have an idea -

Let's skip 2012 all together!!!

Why not? I believe the Chinese, Hindu and Hebrew calendars are all on different years from what we use. Let's use one of those and skip 2012!!

:wacko:

Hey, it makes as much sense as worrying about an arbitrarily assigned number based on a possibly mythical happening.

HN

I have an idea -

Let's skip 2012 all together!!!

Why not? I believe the Chinese, Hindu and Hebrew calendars are all on different years from what we use. Let's use one of those and skip 2012!!

:wacko:

Hey, it makes as much sense as worrying about an arbitrarily assigned number based on a possibly mythical happening.

HN

I agree but I still like the idea of people learning survival skills because it is nice information to have at your disposal in case you ever get into a crisis.

I agree but I still like the idea of people learning survival skills because it is nice information to have at your disposal in case you ever get into a crisis.

Nah, let the candidates for the Darwin awards pave the way for those who can survive.

(Wow, I'm in a foul mood. :))

HN

(Wow, I'm in a foul mood. :))

HN

Here take my lunch money and this half eaten curly wurly...its all I have :cry:

I'm sure that by whenever it hits, we'll be prepared. If it is as sure and severe as the article says, there's no way it will be blown off

Edited by Knight of the Twilight

Here take my lunch money and this half eaten curly wurly...its all I have :cry:

Awww...you know I love you. :wub:

My idiocy tolerance is just really low today.

HN

Lets not start this rubbish again.

We know you like the sun so stop preaching about it, your like a broken record, what do you hope to accomplish by keep bagging on about the sun, are you hoping to convert people?

I'm just telling you something on survival. Games are out when the Sun is up. Could be a deer or a moose. No Sun, no game.

My idiocy tolerance is just really low today.

There's nothing idiotic about learning some basic survival skills.

In this electricity-dependent society it is a good idea.

No elecricity = no food - no clean water - no petrol - no telly/radio/telephone...etc etc.

There...I bet that's cheered you up........ ^_^

Even if you don't subscribe to the Big Solar Storm or other 'biggies'......there are other

things that can knock the electric out (even if it's temporary) like war or co-ordinated terrorist

attack, for example.

As they say, cheer up! It might never happen.... :D (but then again...it MIGHT) :o

Edit to say...forgot to mention computers shutting down.

Edited by bee

I'm just telling you something on survival. Games are out when the Sun is up. Could be a deer or a moose. No Sun, no game.

Who says the sun's going out.....or going anywhere?

Or are you hinting at volcanic ash blocking out the sun?