Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Paranormalcy

The "Xenonormal"

Paranormalcy

A new term for the common (and uncommon) explanations that often get categorized as paranormal.

From the website given below:

It would be helpful if there was a term for events that, in certain circumstances, resemble the paranormal, even though they are not. They can be called 'xenonormal'. This means 'foreign normal' ; in other words 'the unfamiliar but natural'. In many cases, witnesses to apparent paranormal events (and sometimes even the researchers!) are simply unfamiliar with a purely natural phenomenon.

The xenonormal covers not only rare, exotic phenomena but also some common ones (that were simply unfamiliar to particular witnesses). If someone hears odd noises in their house that they cannot explain, they might report it as a ghost, even though a plumber would know what is was immediately. Similarly, a witness unfamiliar with the planet Venus, might report it as a UFO, whereas an astronomer would never do so.

. . .

It is clear that any paranormal researcher must have a good knowledge of the xenonormal, otherwise they will waste a lot of time chasing the normal. It is, therefore, important that we study the xenonormal as a separate subject within paranormal research. We need to know how orbs are produced, for instance, so that we can explain them in every possible situation when they are found. We need to understand how apparent voices can appear on sound recordings from natural causes to eliminate them from EVP studies. Although the xenonormal may not seem as exciting as the paranormal, it is vital that it is studied and understood by researchers. Otherwise paranormal research will spend another century getting not very far.

To be honest I think anyone interested in paranormal phenomena (or wonder if you're experiencing it) ought to read through as many links as you can possibly stand on this site!

http://www.assap.org/newsite/articles/Xenonormal.html

CausticGnostic

Sigmund Freud already coined a term for this type of psychological phenomena. He called them "die Unheimliche," or "the uncanny," or, in the vernacular, "weird stuff." Either a thing is weird or it isn't. Personally, I don't think we need a half-way house term to denote phenomena that are neither paranormal nor normal. Either a thing is paranormal or it's normal. As we are wont to say in Texas, crap or git off the pot! Either it's paranormal, or it ain't. Of course, I only say that because I'm hypernormal. Uh, I mean, sub-pseudoanormal. . . . :)

Edited by CausticGnostic

Paranormalcy

Why is my link in my previous post not a link and why can't I edit that post? How strange. Or, Xenonormal, perhaps - hah take that CS. =)

MirrorImage
Why is my link in my previous post not a link and why can't I edit that post? How strange. Or, Xenonormal, perhaps - hah take that CS. =)

You can only edit for 30 minutes after youve posted. Thanks for the link, looks like I have something to read tonight rather than watch NCIS re-runs :)