Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Pharmageddon’

crystal sage

<_< I just don't know where to start.....

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Pharmageddon.php

On November 11, the US government ordered the biotech company, ProdiGene, to destroy 500,000 bushels of soybeans contaminated with GM maize, engineered to produce a drug not approved for human consumption [4]. The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) refused to give details on the protein involved because it is deemed ‘confidentual business information’.

It could be one of the following [5]: the HIV glycoprotein gp120, a blood-clotting agent (aprotinin), a digestive enzyme (trypsin), an industrial adhesive (a fungal enzyme, laccase), vaccines for hepatitis B, vaccine for a pig disease, transmissible gastroenteritis.

USDA records show that ProdiGene has received 85 test permits for experimental open-air trials of pharm crops and chemical crops in at least 96 locations.

The ‘edible’ AIDS vaccine with the HIV glycoprotein gp120 gene [6] has been condemned as dangerous by a number of AIDS virologists [7-9] because the gp120 gene and gene product can undermine our immune system and generate new viruses and bacteria that cause diseases.

A day later, the US government disclosed that ProdiGene did the same thing in Iowa back in September. The USDA ordered 155 acres of nearby corn to be incinerated for fear of contamination [10,11].

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The true extent of the contamination remains unknown owing to the secrecy surrounding more than 300 field trials of such crops across the country since 1991. Still others sites are in Canada [3]. The chemicals these plants produce include vaccines, growth hormones, clotting agents, industrial enzymes, human antibodies, contraceptives, immune suppressive cytokines and abortion-inducing drugs.

The majority of engineered biopharmaceuticals are being incorporated into maize. ProdiGene, the company at the centre of the current scandal has the greatest number of pharm crops and projects that 10 percent of the US maize will be devoted to biopharm products by 2010.

Far from supporting even weak containment strategies such as buffer zones, ProdiGene has told its shareholders it is hoping to "gain regulatory approval to lessen or abandon these requirements altogether".

Trials in other countries have also come to light. According to a recent report by Genetically Engineered Food Alert, a US-based coalition of environmental and consumer advocacy groups, Puerto Rico is one of four main centres in the US for these tests. The other three are the states of Nebraska, Wisconsin and Hawaii.

Another report by the same group reveals that these plants are by no means the only experimental GM crops grown in Puerto Rico. This Caribbean island has been host to 2,296 USDA-approved GM open-air field tests as of January 2001, making Puerto Rico host to more GM food experiments per square mile than any US state, except Hawaii.

Edited by crystal sage

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crystal sage

• preacherman76

• rassy

• el midgetron

Think of Tacos.. Nachos... genes experimentation.. and some pilfered..infected pig gene GMO Corn maybe contaminating neighboring crops.. entering the food chain...in Mexico...

They were just a few innocent-looking corn plants.

http://stanmed.stanford.edu/2009spring/article7.html

The problem was that the corn plants, accidentally seeded by the previous year’s crop, were no ordinary weeds. Each cell held a gene coding for an experimental vaccine. Each cell was a vaccine factory, churning out proteins designed to rev up the immune system, proteins never intended to enter the food supply. And now these little factories had escaped into a field of ordinary soybeans.

The plants’ discovery started a chain of events that bankrupted their grower, the Texas biotech start-up ProdiGene. The discovery inflamed activists worried about environmental escape of genetically engineered “frankenfoods.” And the rogue corn sprouts added to a long string of hurdles that have kept cheap, easy-to-use, plant-grown vaccines — a potential godsend for developing countries — from making it to market.

“In my heart of hearts, I still think plant biotechnology can be a manufacturing protocol to make very inexpensive, orally active vaccines for the developing world,” says Charles Arntzen, PhD, the plant biologist at the Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University who invented the corn that escaped. But getting his vaccines from the lab to the clinic has been far more difficult than Arntzen anticipated when he first thought of splicing vaccine genes into plants two decades ago. “Scientists and companies have made pretty strong statements that genetically engineered plants are safe, and won’t escape,” says Mildred Cho, PhD, associate director of the Stanford Center for Biomedical Ethics. “But they do escape, in ways we can’t control. So scientists’ credibility is shot. We’ve kind of dug ourselves into a hole.”

First, his team discovered it was impossible to ensure every engineered plant produced a uniform quantity of vaccine. Some plants cranked out a bit more, some less.

Patenting Pig Genes - Genetically Modified Food

http://conspiracyrealitytv.com/patenting-p...-modified-food/

Edited by crystal sage

Its one of your threads so this has to be taken with a not just a pinch of salt but a huge truck load as you have a habit on jumping on the craziest of bandwagons.

Well you have heard of the Popeye Pig?

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20020125a5.html

Spinach gene in pigs promises healthier cutlets

Japanese researchers have announced that they succeeded in transplanting a spinach gene into a pig in order to change pig fat into linoleic acid, a principal unsaturated fatty acid found in plants and considered essential to animal nutrition.

It is the first time in the world that a plant gene has been made to function properly in a mammal, the group led by Akira Iritani, professor at the School of Biology-Oriented Science and Technology at Osaka-based Kinki University, said Tuesday.

The researchers directly implanted a gene called FAD2 into fertilized pig eggs and implanted them into the womb of a surrogate mother pig that gave birth to piglets with the modified gene.

The genetically modified pigs had about a 20 percent higher linoleic acid rate in their fat than normal pigs. They were healthy and had normal reproductive capacities and were confirmed to carry the same trait to the third generation. FAD2 is an enzyme that changes oleic acid, another unsaturated fatty acid, into linoleic acid, which is necessary for normal growth of mammals.

The group has also succeeded in increasing linoleic acid in mice by 40 percent and is aiming at producing pigs with more linoleic acid as well as implanting other essential fatty acid in pigs.

A few years ago, Department of Agriculture researchers tried to produce leaner pork by splicing a human gene into a pig embryo. What they got was a cross-eyed porker with crippling arthritis and a strangely wrinkled face.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,980797,00.html

B)

http://indiatogether.com/2007/feb/opi-crossgene.htm

like fish with tomato genes in it or rice engineered to produce pig vaccines. Many foods are being engineered with human genes ... is that acceptable, or does it recall cannibalism? Do vegetarians want aloo tamatar ki sabzi with some fish genes in it? Or how about some fish ketchup on pakoras? What if the rice in your thali is contaminated with rice that is engineered to produce pig vaccines?

This problem is particularly troubling because it is impossible to segregate rice with pig vaccines from normal rice, or food corn from corn engineered to produce drugs for pigs. Past experience has shown that these kinds of engineered crops cannot be kept segregated and will almost always land up in the food chain. The Starlink Corn in the US containing an allergen was forbidden for human use and was released only for animal feed. But it got mixed up in food corn and landed up in corn products in Japan, UK, Canada and other countries in Europe. The unlicensed GE rice of Bayer has escaped from trial plots which were closed down as far back as 2001 in the US and is being detected in countries in Europe and in New Zealand now, in 2006. Similarly, unapproved GE rice from trial plots in China has found its way into the food chain and is showing up in Europe.

Edited by crystal sage

Pig genes in rice: Three kinds of pig genes are being put into the ... eating your own gene fused into that 'long-corn-rice' you would eat ...

http://www.csa-india.org/downloads/GE%20in...culture-CSA.pdf

What i was trying to point out... we've been fed foods adulterated with unstable pig genes...... also experiments have been done mixing human an pig blood... actually many of these experiments sound like something from a freaky Sci Fi horror movie...

Pigs grown from fetuses into which human stem cells were injected have surprised scientists by having cells in which the DNA from the two species is mixed at the most intimate level.

It is the first time such fused cells have been seen in living creatures. The discovery could have serious implications for xenotransplantation - the use of animal tissue and organs in humans - and even the origin of diseases such as HIV.

Pig-human chimeras contain cell surprise

Pigs grown from fetuses into which human stem cells were injected have surprised scientists by having cells in which the DNA from the two species is mixed at the most intimate level.

It is the first time such fused cells have been seen in living creatures. The discovery could have serious implications for xenotransplantation - the use of animal tissue and organs in humans - and even the origin of diseases such as HIV.

GENE-ALTERED PIGS PRODUCE KEY PART OF HUMAN BLOOD

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/06/16/us/gene-...mp;pagewanted=2

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Pigs+make+human+pigment-a010965225

Genetic engineers have created the first pigs carrying the human gene for hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying pigment in red blood cells Red blood cells

Cells that carry hemoglobin (the molecule that transports oxygen) and help remove wastes from tissues throughout the body.

Mentioned in: Bone Marrow Transplantation

The feat may help scientists create an inexpensive, disease-free substitute for human blood, say researchers

Corp. of Princeton, N.J., the biotechnology firm that developed the transgenic swine.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/genetic-s...-pig-hybrid.htm

Researchers at Shanghai Second University have combined humans and rabbits [source: Telegraph]. Mayo Clinic scientists in Minnesota have already created pigs that have human blood, and a Stanford researcher developed mice whose brains are 1 percent human, with the ultimate goal of creating mice with entirely human brains [source: National Geographic]. It's not actually new in Britain, either: Human-cow embryos have been growing in London for quite some time.

:no: Scary

I hope this doesnt go to stage 6, cause then it will be against the law not to take the vaccine. I will go to jail before I or my family takes it.

I hope this doesnt go to stage 6, cause then it will be against the law not to take the vaccine. I will go to jail before I or my family takes it.

It is getting ridiculous!!!!

there is a lot of scare mongering going on.... a lot of fear... but very little actual pig flu infection.... just a lot of Suspected cases...

a few flu related deaths in the past week... claimed to be around 100 odd and how many of them were actually confirmed Pig Flu?

More people would have been murdered or killed in car accidents in America alone in one day than in a whole week of this pandemic..... yet no outcry... no media induced fear of walking out on the streets....

In this past week 10,000s would have died of malaria.. yet no world outcry.. fear...????

Shouldn't we get this into perspective....

there is a lot of scare mongering going on.... a lot of fear... but very little actual pig flu infection.... just a lot of Suspected cases...

a few flu related deaths in the past week... claimed to be around 100 odd and how many of them were actually confirmed Pig Flu?

More people would have been murdered or killed in car accidents in America alone in one day than in a whole week of this pandemic..... yet no outcry... no media induced fear of walking out on the streets....

In this past week 10,000s would have died of malaria.. yet no world outcry.. fear...????

Totaly agree. This is fear mongering at its finest. There is one thing that concerns me though, and thats is upcoming flu season. This flu is going to mutate, thats what they do. It could become a lesser flu, or it could become a stronger one. One things for sure, its not staying the same as it is right now. And being it has the bird flu in it, if that part of it gets stronger, we could be looking at a big mess. We wont know till Sept-Oct, and the odds are probably in our favor. Thats how it went down in 1918 though, so its definitly something to keep an eye on.

Edited by preacherman76

Not only can they imprison you but they can also slap you with a $250,000 fine.

When the nice men come for you and your family, be sure to put an American flag below your door for them to wipe their feet on...........

Shouldn't it be 'Apporkalypse' :)

AWESOME!!!

I'm going to steal that and use it on my friends and neighbours, if you don't mind.

"The Apporkalypse is nigh!!"

LOLOLOL

The difference is that there a preventative measures and treatment for malaria. A new virus or a newly mutated virus that needs a vaccination immediately but hasn't gone through any testing or yields predictions for side effects is just as deadly. Meaning that if people demand treatment or government forces treatment immediately there could be a significant fallout because of it.

God forbid people wash their hands and avoid coughing or sneezing on someone.

<_<:rolleyes: ... interesting...

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news_digest/Vi...09000&ty=nd

Vials of swine flu virus explode on train

Vials of innocuous swine flu virus have exploded on an intercity train, prompting police to stop passengers before they arrived in Lausanne.

A laboratory technician from a Geneva hospital had been transporting the vials on Monday evening from a veterinary institute in Zurich. The Federal Health Office had called for the development of a diagnostic test for the illness that has killed as many as 150 people worldwide.

Near Fribourg the technician heard a muffled pop. Built-up gas from dry ice surrounding the vials had caused the package to explode.

The carriage in which the technician was travelling held 61 passengers at the time. The Federal Railways did not learn of the incident until 40 minutes later after the train had already passed through Fribourg. Police then stopped the train near Lausanne, inspected passengers and wrote down their names as a precaution.

"This virus is not dangerous to humans," said Laurent Kaiser, head of the Geneva lab. "It is the same stock as the H1N1 virus but it has nothing in common with the strain spreading around the world."

I'm not familiar with the part of the constitution that allows parents to subject their children to potential harm and death. :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

All this engineering and splicing of pigs and humans is strange. Maybe this is where we should look to point the finger as to where the swine flu really came from

<!--quoteo(post=2867707:date=May 1 2009, 02:30 PM:name=preacherman76)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (preacherman76 @ May 1 2009, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2867707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope this doesnt go to stage 6, cause then it will be against the law not to take the vaccine. I will go to jail before I or my family takes it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not only can they imprison you but they can also slap you with a $250,000 fine.

When the nice men come for you and your family, be sure to put an American flag below your door for them to wipe their feet on...........

After the nice SS men get you handcuffed, they may give you a vaccination or they may shoot you in the head as a potential terriorist, along with your family. KennyB

• 2 months later...

Now there's Transgenic cows..

My link

NZ team creates high-protein GM milk

Laible's team produced 11 transgenic calves, representing four different donor cell lines, by fusing the transgenic fibroblasts with enucleated oocytes. From the resulting calves they selected two lines producing the highest protein levels in their milk.

Laible said milk normally contained about 5 per cent protein; in milk from the best of the transgenic cows, protein content is around 5.65 per cent.

The transgenic Friesians would give New Zealand cheese and dairy products a substantial pricing advantage in export markets if it kept the technology to itself.

Then when you think about it... is it worth all the potential side effects of GM foods for .65 percent more protein?

:no:

It should be Liable... not Laible..

I can't believe anything about this. I do however believe there will be a day that 'Farmageddon' will take place. That is the day that all of the 'Farmville' servers in the world all crash permanently at the same time. It will be complete chaos for most Facebook users. :rolleyes:

I can't believe anything about this. I do however believe there will be a day that 'Farmageddon' will take place. That is the day that all of the 'Farmville' servers in the world all crash permanently at the same time. It will be complete chaos for most Facebook users. :rolleyes:

Damn you, sir. :P

My link

"...Not all ingested DNA and proteins are completely broken down in the gut. If proteins were fully digested, we would not have allergies (eg to peanuts) or mad cow disease.

There is also evidence that some DNA can survive digestion in the gut and be incorporated into white blood cells, spleen, liver, muscle, milk, kidneys and cells of the immune system.

Studies have shown that large molecules, including food proteins and allergens, eaten by the mother, can enter the developing foetus and breast milk.

There is a specific concern about proteins and DNA in genetically modified foods because of the way GM foods are made.

Methods, such as shooting the desired genes into the plant on tiny bullets, result in genes being placed randomly into the plant's genetic code.

This may inadvertently turn some of the plant's natural genes on, or off, produce new toxins, proteins or allergens or produce characteristics found in ancestral forms of the plant.

There have been no human safety tests on these foods and no investigations or monitoring of their effect on people in the community who have eaten them.

Do scientists really know what they are doing? See Reference - Commoner writes, "the biotechnology industry is based on science that is forty years old and conveniently devoid of more recent results, which show that there are strong reasons to fear the potential consequences of transferring a DNA gene between species." In other words, we now know that there is not a one to one equivalence between genes and proteins which means genetic engineering is far more complicated than has ever been assumed (ie one cannot just insert a transgene and have a precisely predictable effect). No wonder Craig Venter, who led one of the teams of scientists which sequenced the human genome, has asserted, "We don't know sh... about biology" ".

My link

My link

[Quote:

A four-year study at the University of Jena in Germany revealed that bees ingesting pollen from transgenic rapeseed had bacteria in

their gut with modified genes. This is called a "horizontal gene transfer." Commonly found bacteria and microorganisms in the human gut help maintain a healthy intestinal flora.

These, however, can be mutated.

The human gut bacteria, mutated, could produce symptoms like IBS or Chrones disease, which can be as tortuous as anything. Our entire health can be throw off by bad gut bacteria. And it sure looks like it could happen with GM crops and foods

Edited by crystal sage