Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

sitchin is right

One of the major problems facing internet forums today are the self-appointed thought police

Who think they know better than everyone else.

And think they have the right to stomp around making decrees about ignorance.

Which is very dis-respectful......................................

quite true.

at the same time they display their own, tightly held ignorance ...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• tomt

• kmt_sesh

• Sir Wearer of Hats

so different is / can't be correct?

Yes, Stichin's claims stray so far from orthodox scholarship that there is no way he is correct. There is training and discipline involved in being able to decipher and translate any given cuneiform script. It is an extremely rigorous learning process, and it has to be. If people are to read and translate the scripts, they must be equipped with the knowledge to do so--so that others similarly equipped can verify the results and arrive at a similar destination. It's one of the most basic premises of the scientific method. If only one person among all of scholarship can come up with an answer, that answer is most likely wrong.

I am affiliated with the Oriental Institute, in Chicago. Some of the world's leading linguists and experts on Mesopotamia are on the staff there. I am not one of the professional staff, but I've grown very familiar with how proper historical research is conducted, and how professional historians arrive at the answers they achieve. Sitchin operates outside all of this. What he has arrived at is not fact but science fiction. Period.

how is 'your opinon' any more real than his?

I know you were addressing Mattshark in your posts, tomt, but I'm interested in commenting on this charge, too. In the end I suppose one's opinion doesn't matter so much, but what Sitchin has posited isn't really opinion, is it? He has tried to propose historical theory. When you forward a theory that exists far beyond established historical facts, you open yourself up to scrutiny. That's a given. It is the burden all fringe theorists must carry. Most of them do seem to carry it rather well because they push on, unabated for the most part. That doesn't make their various brands of revisionism any more legitimate, however.

Few professional scholars even care to comment on Sitchin's ideas because, well, from the perspective of a professional, the ideas really aren't worth comment. Sitchin is not taken seriously by people who understand these matters because his very ideas are shoddy.

In the end, your opinion and my opinion and Mattshark's opinion won't matter much. All that matters is the legacy a writer leaves behind. Sitchin has written quite a few books, and they've been snatched up mostly by people who are interested in the fringe but probably lack a fundamental understanding of ancient history. This does not bode well for a legacy. I'd wager that in the near future Sitchin will join the ranks of cranks on the dust heap of fringe literature--and a large dust heap it is, going all the way back to the early nineteenth century. None of these people are taken seriously.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by kmt_sesh

I wouldn't hold your breathe, Kmt.

Tom here belongs to a class of posters that wanders through every several months with a few airy posts that suggest their unorthodox manner of thinking is pretty superior to the rest of us saps without bothering to do any of the hard work of making their own cogent points or proving their own mastery of any field other than, well, blather. Any attack on Matt is a fine example. Had Tom taken the time to familairise himself with Matt's other posting he wouldn't bother with this silly "prove you know what you're talking about" business. He'd've seen it for himself without the extra step of looking suspiciously like a hypocrite, to boot.

The proof is in the pudding: had Tom wanted to make any actual cogent points, his posts would contain that. But he's here more to show off how clever he thinks he is next to the rest of us.

--Jaylemurph

I wouldn't hold your breathe, Kmt.

Tom here belongs to a class of posters that wanders through every several months with a few airy posts that suggest their unorthodox manner of thinking is pretty superior to the rest of us saps without bothering to do any of the hard work of making their own cogent points or proving their own mastery of any field other than, well, blather. Any attack on Matt is a fine example. Had Tom taken the time to familairise himself with Matt's other posting he wouldn't bother with this silly "prove you know what you're talking about" business. He'd've seen it for himself without the extra step of looking suspiciously like a hypocrite, to boot.

The proof is in the pudding: had Tom wanted to make any actual cogent points, his posts would contain that. But he's here more to show off how clever he thinks he is next to the rest of us.

--Jaylemurph

That's just it. I, for one, didn't see anything clever in it. You've touched on the same things that stood out to me, though. Tomt was quick to lash out at Mattshark but not once did he make a point in favor of anything. It was all rather empty quips. I was going to ask tomt to back Sitchin with a substantive supportive argument, but knew there would be no point to that.

So I promise not to hold my breath, jaylemurph. It's detrimental to one's health. Too much of that and I might start thinking the aliens who created our civilization might be on their way back to give us lowly humans a butt-whipping. :w00t:

That's just it. I, for one, didn't see anything clever in it. You've touched on the same things that stood out to me, though. Tomt was quick to lash out at Mattshark but not once did he make a point in favor of anything. It was all rather empty quips. I was going to ask tomt to back Sitchin with a substantive supportive argument, but knew there would be no point to that.

So I promise not to hold my breath, jaylemurph. It's detrimental to one's health. Too much of that and I might start thinking the aliens who created our civilization might be on their way back to give us lowly humans a butt-whipping. :w00t:

Nah, you'll pass out before you hurt yourself.

Just don't hit your head. We need what's in it.

:)

Nibs

Nah, you'll pass out before you hurt yourself.

Just don't hit your head. We need what's in it.

:)

Nibs

Aw, that's sweet, HerNibs, but never fear. My head is as hard as granite from repeated bangings throughout life. Mostly against brick walls.

Aw, that's sweet, HerNibs, but never fear. My head is as hard as granite from repeated bangings throughout life. Mostly against brick walls.

As demonstrated above...

The "constructive criticism" by that tomt sure revived this decomposing corpse of a thread though... wonder if that guy can read or he is an avid Dragon Nat. Speakingtm user....

Edited by questionmark

According to Mr. Sitchin they needed the gold to protect their atmosphere...wherein he is little explicit what the problem was exactly....

Gold is inert, therefore hardly capable of combining with other materials, and if it does combine... i.e. oxides, the result is pretty unstable. the only thing I could think of that would work is radiation shielding.... but that would at the same time keep out sunlight... which would defeat the whole thing because it would be taking away the foundation of life.

While we are at it, a much better radiation shield on a planetary size, and way more plentiful than gold, would be ozone... oxygen is easy to get, easy to transport and easy to transform into O3. And what is best, it would not rain down on the planet but stay up there to protect it. If it is ever unnecessary to keep it, or should it become harmful, it can easily be combined with something else into a stable oxide.

Now, the last argument of the Sitchinites, he talked about atmospheric damage way before anybody else: They should read the minutes of the parliamentary debate about the building of the first railroad, and therein the opinion of some "expert witnesses"..... that was in the 1820s.

Since the 1950s the scientific community has been warning about the CO2 enrichment of the atmosphere, but as they kept saying that the problems would be 50-75 years in the future nobody cared. Somebody who did care was Isaac Asimov and he made it a theme in his novels... where he was kind of optimistic and so his scenario was man builds a supercomputer that solved the ecological problem and shut itself off to never work again. That was in the 1950s...or at a time when Mr. Sitchin still was trying to do some honest work to make a living.

I really wish that some of these pseudo historians would read some actual history instead of spouting out wild ideas.

According to National Geographic... Gold is severely limited... that in all of history only 161,000 tons of gold has ever been mined and more than half of it in the past 50 years!!!!

That kind of changes all the historical stories of cities of gold... and modern mining reports of how much gold has been extracted from all their mines each year...

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/01/gold/larmer-text/3

For all of its allure, gold's human and environmental toll has never been so steep. Part of the challenge, as well as the fascination, is that there is so little of it. In all of history, only 161,000 tons of gold have been mined, barely enough to fill two Olympic-size swimming pools. More than half of that has been extracted in the past 50 years. Now the world's richest deposits are fast being depleted, and new discoveries are rare. Gone are the hundred-mile-long gold reefs in South Africa or cherry-size nuggets in California. Most of the gold left to mine exists as traces buried in remote and fragile corners of the globe. It's an invitation to destruction. But there is no shortage of miners, big and small, who are willing to accept.

I think this is an unexplained mystery worth a thread of it's own!!! ;)

As demonstrated above...

The "constructive criticism" by that tomt sure revived this decomposing corpse of a thread though... wonder if that guy can read or he is an avid Dragon Nat. Speakingtm user....

Speaking of hard heads... Don't mention dragons! Not even in passing!

--Jaylemurph

According to National Geographic... Gold is severely limited... that in all of history only 161,000 tons of gold has ever been mined and more than half of it in the past 50 years!!!!

Well, to make it graphic, if you take all gold on this planet and stack it on a pile, it would be about the size of a normal sub-urban house.

Dragons.

Oops! Sorry.

That was me... but that is what the most used voice to text software is called... but from now on I will refer to it as Lizard Naturally Speaking, just so some don't feel encouraged...

There is nothing to explain, it is called "MYTHS and LEGENDS"

LOL What was that all about with crystal sage's National Geographic and gold? For once we were keeping on track with a discussion. I'm going to have to write "easily distracted" on her report card! :devil:

There is nothing to explain, it is called "MYTHS and LEGENDS"

I still don't think that CS understands that just because she doesn't have the initiative to find out about things doesn't make them mysterious.

--Jaylemurph

I still don't think that CS understands that just because she doesn't have the initiative to find out about things doesn't make them mysterious.

--Jaylemurph

That's a mystery unto itself, isn't it?

That's a mystery unto itself, isn't it?

And one of the few real mysteries discussed here!

And one of the few real mysteries discussed here!

I find it frustrating, but any devotion so deep to anything is remarkable. I suppose it's for the best: it could have been channelled into a lust for power and then we'd all be compelled to be just as perverse.

--Jaylemurph

• 2 weeks later...

That kind of changes all the historical stories of cities of gold... and modern mining reports of how much gold has been extracted from all their mines each year...

thank you, for a bit of sanity, in a world/forum overun with childern, that are held hostage ...

I find it frustrating, but any devotion so deep to anything is remarkable.

so we/everyone should remain shallow?

I suppose it's for the best: it could have been channelled into a lust for power and then we'd all be compelled to be just as perverse.

--Jaylemurph

who gave you this idea?

(trying not to laugh)

thank you, for a bit of sanity, in a world/forum overun with childern, that are held hostage ...

Do you mean people who simply don't agree with you?

so we/everyone should remain shallow?

who gave you this idea?

(trying not to laugh)

See, this is exactly what I meant earlier: not only showing no wit, but trying to cram meaning where there was none. Still, why give up a habit?

--Jaylemurph

• 2 weeks later...
See, this is exactly what I meant earlier: not only showing no wit, but trying to cram meaning where there was none.

projecting, again?

why?

so you don't have to answer the question?

do You remember the question?

Still, why give up a habit?

--Jaylemurph

i can see why you wouldn't

• 1 year later...

What it has to do with it is: in Sitchin's Chronicles, the planet Nibiru was losing their atmosphere. That is why they came to earth, to mine the gold, and save their planet.

this 'gold mining' seems to be going on to this day -

'9018'

Edited by tomt