Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flag Draped Coffins

stillcrazy

Should Flag draped Coffins be shown  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should Flag draped Coffins be shown

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I was listening to Fox news and a story caught my attention, that 361 photos that were obtained under the freedom of information act, have now been deemed not allowable for public release.

Full Story from Fox News

At the center of the problem are photos of the coffins of American service men and women being returned to the United States.

Link is now up

My opinion: I agree with the freedom of speech advocates, any law that surpresses our ability to see what is happening, goes against what the U.S. stands for. And what these folks died for.

None of the photo's identify anyone by name.

Additional links

Anti war dot com

Exit dot com

War Blogging dot com

Edited by stillcrazy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stillcrazy

• nindracula

• Seraphina

• PsychicPenguin

Top Posters In This Topic

i think they should be shown, yeah. no names are displayed, nothing personal about any of the fallen. the pictures i've seen are also well done, and, in a morbid kind of way, look kind of pretty. please don't get mad at me about that, i'm only saying it from an artist's point of view, not an insensitive s.o.b's point of view.

i think stillcrazy hit the nail right on the head with

My opinion: I agree with the freedom of speech advocates, any law that surpresses our ability to see what is happening, goes against what the U.S. stands for. And what these folks died for.

I think the reasoning for keeping the photos hidden is this:

They are almost sure to be used by some sick news media outlets as anti-war propoganda. This is not what the families of the slain, named or unnamed, would want.

It's not like their keeping something hidden from people. We all know how many died and who they were and what a casket looks like. If my cousin, who will be deployed near Iraq soon, dies in battle, I don't want pictures of his coffin being used against the war effort.

BUt that isnt a good reazon to surpresses fredoom of spech. If you dont like the use of the photos in anti-war propaganda, well, bad for you, but USA is a democracy (or a republic, i think there is a little diference) and fredoom of spech is vital for the modern nations. While no names were given whit the pics, there is no problem.

I personally think that it's disrespectful. Soldiers who died shouldn't have to worry about their pictures (Even if only the casket's shown) plastered all over the place.

And I agree with nindracula about it being used in anti war propaganda..

Unfortunately that can't be stopped. I'm one against the war. I know why it's happeneing, but I think that once we finish getting who we originally went after we should leave. We have no right being over there.

I'm a little flip sided...on the one hand, I feel sorry for the families of the soldiers having to see their dead relatives being carted into the country inside a box to be stared at by the masses...

But on the other hand, I don't think the public should be sheilded from the harsh reality of what's going on over there. People are dying, and there's a huge difference between reading an article in the paper, and seeing the coffins being shipped home.

I don't think the public should be sheilded from the harsh reality of what's going on over there.

You know, I've been thinking... the government owns the photographs, and we pay the government, so technically we have a right to see them (they don't violate national security or anything). It is in very bad taste for a news organization to show these, but in the long run, freedom of speech is more important. When it is abused by antiwar people, I guess we need to just put up with it.

But again, it is in very bad taste because it disrespects the families of the fallen soldiers. Enough bad taste to warrent government intervention? dontgetit.gif I still don't know... I'm a big freedom of speech advocate like the rest of you. You have to take the bad with the good I guess...

What is so wrong with it? There is no name or anything. If anti-war people want to use these pictures, so be it. That if US wants to be consistent with democracy. "Family of the soldiers" sounds like an excuse to avoid the growth of anti-war sentiment from these pictures.

I'd have to say yes, it is a testament to the soldiers who fought overseas & died there. If your country is at war, then your war dead should not be a dirty little secret to hide in some closet. Each and everyone deserves recognition that they died doing their "patriotic duty" (for lack of a better term as I am currently having a brain freeze). Yes it's hard looking at flag draped coffins, but think of how much harder was for those soldiers. I believe this regardless of whether or not you approve of the war. Honor your dead.

Dot9M

I agree with the majority on this one. I think this country owes it to those brave men and women, who gave their lives in the service of their country, to take a moment or two, in somber reverence, to honor their sacrifice. I can hardly think of a more poignant way to do so than showing rows of flag-draped coffins returning home.

Regardless of political and philosophical viewponts (I personally am anti-war) I think we owe these soldiers honor and respect. As long it is done tastefully and without mentioning names, I see no problem. I also think that Americans should have the right to see, read and hear material that includes both the victories and harsh realities of war.

Sera and and permakid are right.

I beleive these men no matter what you feel about the war deserve the uptmost respect.

They are brave men who died for us regardless of our views.

I think they need to show these pictures otherwise we wouldnt fully understand the sacrafice these men made, seeing pictures for afar usually just devalues the impact of war but seeing all those coffins really gives you a feeling of the brutality of it all.

It is in very bad taste for a news organization to show these, but in the long run, freedom of speech is more important. When it is abused by antiwar people, I guess we need to just put up with it.

But again, it is in very bad taste because it disrespects the families of the fallen soldiers. Enough bad taste to warrent government intervention?  I still don't know... I'm a big freedom of speech advocate like the rest of you. You have to take the bad with the good I guess...

How can you say you advocate free speech when you indicate that anti-war protesters shouldnt be allowed to comment on the pictures?

It does not disrespect these soldiers if an anti-war protester uses them to highlight their campaign.