Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voodoo ..My religion..

Papa Midnight60

Maybe you were thinking of Papa doc. He was president of haiti. And voodoo priest.

That would make more sense Plainbob13.

Papa

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papa Midnight60

• Dr. Peter Venkman

• Beckys_Mom

• Lt_Ripley

You do know this is a comic book? "Hellblazer" and the quote you bring is a direct copy of this link. You suprise me I must say, I though you were genuine.

papa midnight copied link

Papa

With all due respect, like so many of us here, we are mainly in the dark with voodoo, meaning we don't know too much about it, you are the 1st I have ever seen on here in years, and I kid you not

I hope you can understand, that you might look at some posts as sillly or arrogant...but its not intended that way, well, at least not by most of us..........please remember, a lot of us here are non christian and we don't attach ourselves to any faith, but it is always nice to meet someone like yourself to at least shed light on the faith.....

cheers

With all due respect, like so many of us here, we are mainly in the dark with voodoo, meaning we don't know too much about it, you are the 1st I have ever seen on here in years, and I kid you not

I hope you can understand, that you might look at some posts as sillly or arrogant...but its not intended that way, well, at least not by most of us..........please remember, a lot of us here are non christian and we don't attach ourselves to any faith, but it is always nice to meet someone like yourself to at least shed light on the faith.....

cheers

Thanks for the reply Beckys_Mom

But I am an old man now I know what I see when I see it, I am not wrong, and I am glad to bring a new light or a new conversation here, It’s very much a joy to educate, you understand I have dealt with prejudiced against Voodoo all my life, and I still bring the love and joy of it to anyone who wishes to read about it, it helps to create a little more positive energy so I am happy with that, of course when I begin a thread its always this at first , once the shock and making fun of , the accusations of animal cruelty are out of the way I can begin to bring understanding and show how this is as much about love as any religion, maybe more.

Papa

Thanks for the reply Beckys_Mom

But I am an old man now I know what I see when I see it, I am not wrong, and I am glad to bring a new light or a new conversation here, It’s very much a joy to educate, you understand I have dealt with prejudiced against Voodoo all my life, and I still bring the love and joy of it to anyone who wishes to read about it, it helps to create a little more positive energy so I am happy with that, of course when I begin a thread its always this at first , once the shock and making fun of , the accusations of animal cruelty are out of the way I can begin to bring understanding and show how this is as much about love as any religion, maybe more.

Papa

I was once raised catholic....I wasn't taught anything about - voodoo.....but I was taught that other faiths that include spells are bad....

Later on in life, I dropped the catholic faith and decided to be more open minded....on here, I have even come to learn more about - IE - The church Of Satan...it is not as evil as so many claim it is....then there is Wicca, again a beautiful faith but so much of it needs to be understood and it too is so very interesting......then, now, there is you and - Voodoo......its not every day someone like yourself comes on here, I for one am greatful....

When you grow up raised around christianity, its hardly any wonder, people like myself dont know too much about faiths that normally get a lot of prejudiced against.....

I liked the way you presents a love spell...but I would like to see one on - success....to me that is more important than love lol....ok well for the love of my kid...she comes first ....she is all I have...so I already have love in my life, I am trying hard to succeed...that is why I asked...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I was raised Catholic too and still am but I see nothing wrong with Voodoo, Voodoo is a mix of Catholicism and West African faiths brought by the Slaves when they were transported and sold to the plantation owners, I don't have a problem with Papa Midnight, I want to thank you too for taking time to come here and educate more on the Voodoo world.

I was raised Catholic too and still am but I see nothing wrong with Voodoo, Voodoo is a mix of Catholicism and West African faiths brought by the Slaves when they were transported and sold to the plantation owners, I don't have a problem with Papa Midnight, I want to thank you too for taking time to come here and educate more on the Voodoo world.

I can't see anything wrong with it, if I know very little about it..lol...which is why I was glad to see Papa Midnight come on here

You are correct Aanica, welcome to my discussion.

Papa

You are correct Aanica, welcome to my discussion.

Papa

Thanks Papa, I look forward to more information... :)

Love Spell

First you must clean your bathroom, clean everything, the mirrors, the counter, the sink...you get the picture.

Then cover all the mirrors in the room with either pink or white sheets.

Next light three white candles and place them around the tub.

Draw a bath and add your choice of bath milk, salts or bath beads. You can even use scented bubble bath or scented soap. You should also but on a mushy love songs CD or just something that means something to you and that person...

Get in and focus on the person that you want called to you. If you don't have anyone in particular focus on what you want in a lover.

Chant "Negativity is washed away, I am renewed as of today, Many heads will turn my way, the ones I choose will wish to stay." While washing your body. Do everything you would normaly do, shave wash your hair...

When your done washing repeat, "Negativity is washed away, I am renewed as of today, Many heads will turn my way, the one's I chooses will wish to stay. I am loved, I am loving, I am love and love myself." Let the water out while repeating this a few times.

Papa

I like this chant. I notice the words I AM are used before you state what you wish.

Sounds cool.

As has already been pointed out, all ancient religions practiced animal sacrifice, and there's evidence that most, if not all, religions far back in prehistory practiced human sacrifice. Blood was believed to be a potent substance--literally and figuratively the animal's or person's life. Christians don't practice animal sacrifice because, in their view, the death of Jesus on the Cross was a once-and-for-all effective sacrifice of atonement for all sins--in effect, a human sacrifice. So Voodoo isn't bizarre for still practicing animal sacrifices. I'm pretty sure, however, that the authorities would have something to say if human sacrifice was being carried out! And I, personally, would be angry if cats and dogs were being sacrificed, because I like cats and dogs. Nevertheless, the Chinese eat dogs, and the Peruvians on occasion eat cats. Different cultures view such things differently. As a meat-eater, sacrificing chickens and goat doesn't bother me, provided we eat them afterwards. . . . From the OP's viewpoint, our entire meat industry may be wasting a lot of useful "energy" by focusing merely on harvesting meat.

Whether such blood rituals can power "magic spells," while an interesting metaphysical question, is beside the point here, since Voodoo believes that it can. It's no different than Catholics believing that a priest saying a mass at the Eucharist "magically" (or mystically) turns wine and bread into the blood and body of Christ. And what is a sacrament or prayer, if not a kind of magical spell, an "incantation" intended to bring to bear the power of God? Furthermore, other religions (such as Wicca) believe in the efficacy of magic. So Voodoo isn't bizarre for believing in magic, either.

The belief in spirit possession, also, isn't peculiar to Voodoo. What is the pentecost, other than a possession of the faithful by the Holy Spirit? And, as a number of other threads here on UM attest, some people still fervently believe in "demonic possession."

Nor is Voodoo's polytheism uncommon--except in the views of monotheists.

I'm not religious in any way, yet I don't see anything wrong with people practicing Voodoo.

However, I am put off by people who refer to themselves in the third person. So, please, if you would, stop doing that Papa! A mundane "I" will suffice. :)

As has already been pointed out, all ancient religions practiced animal sacrifice, and there's evidence that most, if not all, religions far back in prehistory practiced human sacrifice. Blood was believed to be a potent substance--literally and figuratively the animal's or person's life. Christians don't practice animal sacrifice because, in their view, the death of Jesus on the Cross was a once-and-for-all effective sacrifice of atonement for all sins--in effect, a human sacrifice. So Voodoo isn't bizarre for still practicing animal sacrifices. I'm pretty sure, however, that the authorities would have something to say if human sacrifice was being carried out! And I, personally, would be angry if cats and dogs were being sacrificed, because I like cats and dogs. Nevertheless, the Chinese eat dogs, and the Peruvians on occasion eat cats. Different cultures view such things differently. As a meat-eater, sacrificing chickens and goat doesn't bother me, provided we eat them afterwards. . . . From the OP's viewpoint, our entire meat industry may be wasting a lot of useful "energy" by focusing merely on harvesting meat.

Whether such blood rituals can power "magic spells," while an interesting metaphysical question, is beside the point here, since Voodoo believes that it can. It's no different than Catholics believing that a priest saying a mass at the Eucharist "magically" (or mystically) turns wine and bread into the blood and body of Christ. And what is a sacrament or prayer, if not a kind of magical spell, an "incantation" intended to bring to bear the power of God? Furthermore, other religions (such as Wicca) believe in the efficacy of magic. So Voodoo isn't bizarre for believing in magic, either.

The belief in spirit possession, also, isn't peculiar to Voodoo. What is the pentecost, other than a possession of the faithful by the Holy Spirit? And, as a number of other threads here on UM attest, some people still fervently believe in "demonic possession."

Nor is Voodoo's polytheism uncommon--except in the views of monotheists.

I'm not religious in any way, yet I don't see anything wrong with people practicing Voodoo.

However, I am put off by people who refer to themselves in the third person. So, please, if you would, stop doing that Papa! A mundane "I" will suffice. :)

Hi CausticG -- I think I agree with most of what you write here.

Just one question though: to which post are you responding here? I ask because you did not include a link to the earlier post, nor did you address the person by name, in your post.

Karlis

PS:B's Mom ... *please notice this situation here*, in relation to your 'Signing your posts...why?' thread. Or do you think I'm beating a dead horse? :)

K

Edited by Karlis

Papa, let me add another welcome to this community. :) I am new here as well, and I am always looking to add to my knowledge of the world, especially religion. I also believe there are many paths provided, and Voodoo is just one more valid method.

I do have a question about your love spell, and the ethics involved. I am studying Wicca, and have found that there are many who consider love spells to be unethical -- they are an attempt to interfere with someone's free will. The only exception might be someone who seeks a blessing on an already existing relationship.

Do you agree with this outlook? What ethics guide you when you perform spells? I would love to be able to compare two religions that recognize spell-casting as an integral part of their faith.

Guiding questions from a Wiccan article:

1. Would I mind if this spell were cast on me?

2. Am I willing to take responsibility for my actions?

3. By working this spell am I going to harm anyone or intrude on someone’s free will?

If you are still unsure, don’t cast the spell. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you for your time and willingness to educate us!

Hi CausticG -- I think I agree with most of what you write here.

Just one question though: to which post are you responding here? I ask because you did not include a link to the earlier post, nor did you address the person by name, in your post.

Karlis

PS:B's Mom ... *please notice this situation here*, in relation to your 'Signing your posts...why?' thread. Or do you think I'm beating a dead horse? :)

K

it seems the majority of the post was just him stating his opinion in general ... to all.... he at the last line addresses 'Papa' , but just for the incidence of self reference.

or

it could be to the original OP since it is not addressed and not seem to comment to anyone on the same page.

but if it makes you feel better to complain .... by all means do.

The red wine in a mass, is used to represent the blood of christ....when a preist raises the cup of red wine, he actually says it represents the blood of our lord jesus christ....and the bread, represents the body...... its known as the The Eucharist, also called Holy Communion or The Lord's Supper....it is what Jesus said at the last supper....so I would hardly use it as a comparrasion to actuially killing animals and using real blood

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Hello Papa,

Welcome to UM! :)

If I were to ever practice a religion (other than the one I was born into) it would be Voodoo. It's fascinating and quite close to what I grew up in.

I'm always amazed at the way it adapted. Brought into the US, merges with Christianity yet keeping its core purity.

I've also always been impressed on it's role for women. It seems (please anyone correct me) that women were equals in the religion. I find that refreshing.

I hope to learn more.

Thanks for coming.

HN

Hello Papa,

Welcome to UM! :)

If I were to ever practice a religion (other than the one I was born into) it would be Voodoo. It's fascinating and quite close to what I grew up in.

I'm always amazed at the way it adapted. Brought into the US, merges with Christianity yet keeping its core purity.

I've also always been impressed on it's role for women. It seems (please anyone correct me) that women were equals in the religion. I find that refreshing.

I hope to learn more.

Thanks for coming.

HN

HN -- you look cheerful !!

HN -- you look cheerful !!

Happy spider is happy.

:)

Funny, I really am IRL today. Fundies bashing Papa almost ruined it.

HN

Funny, I really am IRL today. Fundies bashing Papa almost ruined it.

HN

That's only because - Papa don't preach :w00t: LMAO.... ok lame joke...but I couldn't resist LMAO :P

Great, now I wont get that madonna song out of my head LOL

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I am Papa Midnight

I have been a Houngan for a very long while, I am hoping to spread understanding and love, I want people to understand Voodoo is a commune with spirits not a practice of evil.

Do you know the differance?

A lot of peopel give me grief because they dont understand why I sacrifice a live goat or cut off a chickens head for a ritual, I woudl like to share any thing I can answer here..

Papa

Welcome to UM don't let what people think stop you from praticing your religion. I used to be that way myself these days there isn't much that bothers me. You'll find quite a collection of religions on here. I myself pratice Druidism I've been a Pagan for the past 11 years. There are Witches, Wiccans, Satanist, Etc on this site so welcome & Be Blesses!

I canno't believe the state of people in this world. They call it a righteous action, to harm innocent living biengs... They defend their cases saying it is good. If killing the innocent is good, then what is bad?

I canno't believe the state of people in this world. They call it a righteous action, to harm innocent living biengs... They defend their cases saying it is good. If killing the innocent is good, then what is bad?

your posts.

your posts.

Snickers....... :innocent:

There is no God but God. The one universal creator God.

We are all infected with egotism and dirty minds. Including me. By dirty mind i don't just mean you think of sexual thoughts. But we are impure, and our actions are based on selfishness, or we be selfish in a practical way, so on the outside it doesn't look selfish.

You may be worship/impress demi=gods, and deities, but God(supreme god) is not impressed by such outward displays. He wants our head. Not literaly, i mean he wants us to give or full devotion and love to him. Where there is killing of innocent beings there is no justice. What kind of a God is impressed by murder?

Your idol Gods may exist, but they are not to be worshipped. The creator of the Gods and angels GOD, the supreme lord, king of kings creator of the universe. That is the God to be worshipped. The ONE universal creator God. HE shall be able to help you in the end. Your idols will be of no support to you.

Even the Gods you are worshipping worship the one supreme universal creator God. Go to the highest of the high, do not put any other Gods before the supreme ruler. All merits can be attained from the supreme God.

Even the idol Gods envied the human body, because of what we are capable of. WE humans are equal to the idol Gods. But God the one universal creator God. He is the true king, the true God that is to be worshipped.

But not by clever tricks only by giving your head. Attach your consciousness to him.

You called "my God" "silly" this proves you are angered and are taking hits at me. Forgive me if i offended you. But there is only really the one universal creator God for everybody. Idol gods are not to be worshipped.

:sleepy: