Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coast guard incident in "bermuda triangle"

The Caspian Hare

It's not really a UFO but I don't know where to put this topic so here goes

I remember reading a book a long time ago about a coast guard cutter somewhere in the so called "Bermuda triangle." I think it happened in the 1960's.

The ship's radar picked up a large landmass ahead where there should have been no land. The edge of the "land" was almost perfectly straight. The ship came upon a huge dark cloud like mass that stretched as far in each direction as they could see, it also extended far upwards. The ship entered the cloud and experienced some mechanical problems, also visibility was very low ... then dawn came and the cloud dissipated rapidly

The incident was also talked about in a documentary on the history channel, that old one that leonard nimoy narrated, they even interviewed one of the ship's officers.

I have never heard more about this incident, I was wondering if anyone here has heard this story.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaoszerg

• The Caspian Hare

• Lady Amethyst

• Michael J Jackson

Hello,

Yes I vaguely remember a TV documentary about the Burmuda Triangle. I remember that many sightings of clouds appeared and compasses went strangely erratic. Many people put forward theories about this and the most likely one of all, IMHO is that there is something under the water like a meteorite or a sunken city that affects the vapour, sea and the sea mist, sea life, even clouds.

The ship's radar picked up a large landmass ahead where there should have been no land. The edge of the "land" was almost perfectly straight. The ship came upon a huge dark cloud like mass that stretched as far in each direction as they could see, it also extended far upwards. The ship entered the cloud and experienced some mechanical problems, also visibility was very low ... then dawn came and the cloud dissipated rapidly

I am sorry but if I was on a ship and the radar picked up something unusual, and then I spotted the unusual blip and it was a huge dark cloud like mass, then I would turn the ship around and high tail it out of there, not go in it.

Would the coast guard not have contacted a RADAR station for confirmation? It is possible I suppose for a seemingly straight based cloud to form, I would imagine it would have something to do with various air currents at different altitudes and also the water temperature. If rain gets picked up on RADAR then this would too. Since it was the 60s, their RADAR wouldn't have been as sophisticated as it is now.

I am sorry but if I was on a ship and the radar picked up something unusual, and then I spotted the unusual blip and it was a huge dark cloud like mass, then I would turn the ship around and high tail it out of there, not go in it.

That makes a lot of sense to me too!

That does seem a lot more likely.

I've never been sure what to think about the bermuda triangle tbh.

Its a great place to Sail and Fly and have those great drinks with little umbrellas on them.And Also Get forever lost in a fog.

Lots of speculation on natural,and mystries out there. One might even end up back in Pearl Harbor 1941?

Its a great place to Sail and Fly and have those great drinks with little umbrellas on them.And Also Get forever lost in a fog.

Lots of speculation on natural,and mystries out there. One might even end up back in Pearl Harbor 1941?

Pearl Harbor is in the Pacific (to be specific).

And Also Get forever lost in a fog.

Ah yes, what a great way to finish off the day by vanishing off the face of the planet FOREVER!!! ^_^

Ah yes, what a great way to finish off the day by vanishing off the face of the planet FOREVER!!! ^_^

lol, thats where Amelia Earhart, Jimmy Hoffa, Bin Laden and Tupac Shakur all are hiding at

For what it's worth, I worked there for two years on board a sea-going tug, and none of us saw anything out of the ordinary out there.

• 1 month later...
lol, thats where Amelia Earhart, Jimmy Hoffa, Bin Laden and Tupac Shakur all are hiding at

lol, i'm liking your theory :D

For what it's worth, I worked there for two years on board a sea-going tug, and none of us saw anything out of the ordinary out there.

I highly doubt that there is anything strange in the Bermuda Triangle. I have heard theories of super-magnets brought to Earth by aliens, theories of Atlantis, UFO's causing havoc, but I think that there's a scientific explanation.