Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Burning smells in my room

Novo

Recently a burning smell has began to iminate from my room, my first thought was that I had a short circuit or faulty fuse somewhere but all the electronics in my room were disconnected and left off for several hours and this smell remained, then I began to think it was my light bulb, so I put in a new light bulb and the smell remained.. I actully had my grandmother come in at one point when the smell was the strongest and she couldnt smell anything, but there is a very protruding burning smell in my room whenever the light bulb or any other source of light is on for 10 or 20 seconds.. even after the bulbs or source of light is removed or shutoff the smells remains for a good 40-50 minutes, it didnt hit me until a few minutes ago that perhaps logic is not the only cause of this phenomena dontgetit.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wicca1

• saucy

• DarkAngelh22eh

• Turtle

Maybe you have something on your lightshade that gets heated up when the bulb is switched on, rather than the bulb itself.

dontgetit.gif

Or maybe your room needs a clean up.... heh heh heh.... thumbsup.gif

maybe a bug crawled into something and is getting cooked

Dust can get to very hot temperatures when around a bulb and cause this smell, it happens frequently when I use my desk lamp. Also, if plastic (Like an eraser) comes in contact with a hot surface, a bad smell can erupt and linger around for awhile. Check around light sources for these.

I just want to add that if you still don't find a normal explaination of the smell, please look into the theory of a ghost and in most cases a burning smelling ghost is a really bad thing. When i read your post i remember someone tell me about a burning smelling ghost. Hope you find the problem and watch out for bad electrical.

Guest Lottie

I would do as the others have said and check your electrics. Maybe even get an electrician in because if you are smelling burning it might end up getting a lot worse.

As for DarkAngelh22eh:

a burning smelling ghost is a really bad thing.

I have never heard of such a thing and if you have heard this than I am pretty sure its probably just a spooky around the bonfire story to frighten the beejeez out of you.

• 1 year later...

Recently a burning smell has began to iminate from my room, my first thought was that I had a short circuit or faulty fuse somewhere but all the electronics in my room were disconnected and left off for several hours and this smell remained, then I began to think it was my light bulb, so I put in a new light bulb and the smell remained.. I actully had my grandmother come in at one point when the smell was the strongest and she couldnt smell anything, but there is a very protruding burning smell in my room whenever the light bulb or any other source of light is on for 10 or 20 seconds.. even after the bulbs or source of light is removed or shutoff the smells remains for a good 40-50 minutes, it didnt hit me until a few minutes ago that perhaps logic is not the only cause of this phenomena :unsure:

Hello I have often smelled he same thing. It happens when it does at 3am-4am in the morning hours. I get up and I search all over the place and I don't fined anything and it just disappears. I just recently started getting them again. I don't know what they are from either.

hugs

Wicca1

Quick----get Dr. Penfield on the phone!!!! :rofl::rofl:

Quick----get Dr. Penfield on the phone!!!! :rofl::rofl:

I think only we Canadians will get that one! LOL.

Novo.....you seriously should have your light fixture checked out. It could be faulty. I've had this happen with a table lamp before.

Let me share with you my own story of a burning smell that could never be found.

I grew up in a house that was in my family for generations. My mother still lives there at the age of 74 and it is the house she grew up in. From the time she was a young girl, strange, unexplainable things happened there. I witnessed plenty of it too during my childhood and teen years. Even just 5 years ago, I stayed there for a while and experienced plenty of ghostly activity, most of which is hard to believe, but there was usually at least one witness around.

Anyway, during my stay there, one day a putrid burning smell wafted through the dining room. Alarmed, thinking there was a fire or electrical shortage, we tried to find the source of the smell but could not. There was never any smoke, only the smell and it began in the dining room and could be smelled in adjacent rooms.

The wiring was all checked out...nothing was shorting out. The smell lingered for maybe an hour or two, which makes me conclude that if somewhere a wire was sizzling away, in that length of time, something would stop working due to a wire fire, or flames and smoke would appear. Neither happened.

Eventually it went away, but given the history of the house ( they used to hold funerals in the living room!) and the nature of events I have seen with my own two eyes ( shelves of dishes being violently thrown to the floor), I am lead to believe that this burning smell was most likely ghost-related.

I'd say you probably have yourself a ghost if you cannot find the source of the smell.

Let me share with you my own story of a burning smell that could never be found.

I grew up in a house that was in my family for generations. My mother still lives there at the age of 74 and it is the house she grew up in. From the time she was a young girl, strange, unexplainable things happened there. I witnessed plenty of it too during my childhood and teen years. Even just 5 years ago, I stayed there for a while and experienced plenty of ghostly activity, most of which is hard to believe, but there was usually at least one witness around.

Anyway, during my stay there, one day a putrid burning smell wafted through the dining room. Alarmed, thinking there was a fire or electrical shortage, we tried to find the source of the smell but could not. There was never any smoke, only the smell and it began in the dining room and could be smelled in adjacent rooms.

The wiring was all checked out...nothing was shorting out. The smell lingered for maybe an hour or two, which makes me conclude that if somewhere a wire was sizzling away, in that length of time, something would stop working due to a wire fire, or flames and smoke would appear. Neither happened.

Eventually it went away, but given the history of the house ( they used to hold funerals in the living room!) and the nature of events I have seen with my own two eyes ( shelves of dishes being violently thrown to the floor), I am lead to believe that this burning smell was most likely ghost-related.

I'd say you probably have yourself a ghost if you cannot find the source of the smell.

Hello yes unfortunately we do. My son saw him this evening. He got the same feeling I did who ever he is is troubled. I smudged but it didn't seem to phase him. e seemed strong not used to strong spirits.

I like you have a 1916 home with alot of spirit history also.

But I am starting to relate each burning smell to a spirit now. All our electrical is fine. lol

hugs

I like you have a 1916 home with alot of spirit history also.

But I am starting to relate each burning smell to a spirit now. All our electrical is fine.

The fact of the matter is that a 'burning smell' is not something iminating from 'the other side of Life'. It is indicative of an electrical problem and should be taken very seriously. Old houses (I know I have one) have old wire, unless you have had an electrician revamp the entire house. Most likely as The Raven said, it is something about the lamp...throw it away and get another one. Not worth the risk of burning your house down! :ph34r:

yep we had he whole house's electrial redone and none of the lamps smell. lol I have always smelled this smell as a child at 3am-4am last for about 2-3 minutes and is gone. I get woken up out of sound sleeps at these hours from the smell.then is just disappears soon as I start looking for it. The house is dark and nothing is on.

It could be a little bare spot on the wiring in the wall. When the light is turned on it will pull more juice though that spot and cause it to get hot. It could be the insulation getting hot. This happened to my aunt a week or two ago. Just another idea. When you smell it again check by feeling the wall behind the lamp.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I think that I might have an explaination to the burning smell you are experiencing. I have heard that spiritual forms -ghost ect. can come to you in different forms such as an orb, scent, figure... I also have heard that they allow you to see them which means that not everyone can see them at the same time you do. This kind of supports the fact that your grandmother could not smell it. Has anyone close to you died- such as a family member or close friend? If so, this could just be a sign of their presence.

i like to add the same thing happened to me the other day when i went home at 2am (i work nights hence the time i replying to this now!) i had this burning smell and no matter where i looked i couldn't find anything wrong until i took the cigarette out of my mouth

R u sure there isnt a fire in ur room like in a corner :wacko: It might be ur electicals. Do you have a games console or somethin in ur room cos if u do the dust might be burnin when its on or on stand by.

Well, you could start by blowing all of the dust out of your computer.

I had a burning smell in my room once, then the power supply in my computer blew up.

--Jon

Fyi to anybody else smelling burning things that aren't there...olfactory hallucinations like smelling something burning, sulfur smells, or worse--smelling dog doo-doo, can be a sign of a health condition and should be reported to your doctor if it happens repeatedly without known source (ie cigarettes hanging from the mouth or burning power supplies).

i would check out your computer power supply unit otherwise known as a PSU.

they are bad fo fry out!