Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Muslim dentist 'refused to treat female

chemical-licker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...amic-dress.html

Muslim dentist 'refused to treat female patients unless they wore Islamic dress'

Strict: Omer Butt allegedly said it was duty to ensure Muslim women wore the hijab at his NHS dental clinic

A Muslim dentist refused to treat patients unless they wore traditional Islamic dress, it was alleged today.

Omer Butt, 32, ordered women to put on head scarves or he would not register them or their families at his NHS-funded clinic, it was claimed.

At least two patients were left in pain after they declined to follow his self-imposed rules, the General Dental Council heard.

It is the second time that the dentist - who is the brother of a former spokesman of the radical Islamic group al-Muhajiroun - has appeared before the council's disciplinary panel on similar allegations.

Two years ago he was reprimanded for telling an Asian mother-of-two he would not register her unless she wore the Muslim hijab.

The GDC heard how Butt believed it was his duty to stop Muslim patients committing what he believed was a religious sin.

He even put a laminated sign on the wall of his waiting room telling patients they would have to adhere to his strict dress code or find another dentist.

John Snell, for the GDC, said: 'He sought to impose a dress code on patients attending his practice.

'He required that women cover their hair with a head scarf, or hijab, and that male patients remove any gold jewellery.

'If he had simply expressed a preference, without imposing any compulsion to adhere to this dress code, there may be no cause for complaint.

'However, he insisted - and those who did not comply were refused treatment.

'He made compliance with Islamic dress code a condition of treatment, which is entirely inappropriate under the auspices of the National Health Service.

'Patients should have access to NHS treatment regardless of their religious observance, or otherwise.'

One patient, referred to only as Mrs F, told how she went with her husband and three children to register as patients at the Unsworth Smile Clinic, in Bury, Lancashire, in 2006.

While they were waiting to be seen, Butt called her husband into an office and told him he would have to tell his wife to wear a head scarf or the family would not be seen.

They promptly left and made a formal complaint to the NHS.

Traditional: The kind of Islamic outfit Butt is said to demand female patients wore

Mrs F told the panel: 'I was extremely annoyed. It's my choice if I wear a Hijab or not. But he told my husband he wouldn't treat any of us until I did.

'He even offered to provide one for me to use, but I didn't want to wear it. I shouldn't have to wear it to get treatment.

'I had great pain in my tooth at the time, but I wasn't going to stand for that so we left.'

Another patient and her family had to leave the clinic in June 2007 because she would not wear the religious headdress after spending a year looking for a dentist in the area, the hearing was told.

The woman's husband, known as Mr C, was also called into a private room at the surgery where Butt asked him to impose a dress code on his wife.

His wife said: 'My husband came out and he looked quite angry and his face was red. He said 'let's go'.

'He shouldn't say to me that he can't treat me unless I wear the hijab. He said he could provide one for us, but I didn't want to wear one. I was in pain that day.'

Butt, of Prestwich, Manchester, denies charges of misconduct for his treatment of two patients at the clinic.

If found guilty he faces being removed the dental register.

In September 2007 Butt was formally reprimanded by the GDC for similar behaviour and found guilty of serious professional misconduct.

The hearing, being held in London, continues.

Im gonna go round now and start telling everyone to speak english. linked-image

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chemical-licker

• schizoidwoman

• GreyWeather

• Bill Hill

I wonder if he'll be struck off this time...

:angry: i hope you were praying to mecca when you posted this.

:angry: i hope you were praying to mecca when you posted this.

Indeed I was, as always!

Omer my dead Butt

:rofl:

Im gonna go round now and start telling everyone to speak english.

What's the use of that? If they don't already understand english they won't know what you're saying.

The NHS introduce their new surgical dressing:

linked-image

Omer Butt will provide an alternative courtesy hijab for any of his (good-looking) female patients - one suited to his idea of (behind closed doors) morality:

linked-image

*Leo awaits the announcement of yet another fatwa against him - will be the 14th this year*

Edited by Leonardo

So, when these women go to the dentist dressed in their finest Hoth StormTrooper face gear, how exactly does the dentist get at their teeth? I mean, if their face is behind a veil and all...?

Of course, as I understande it, X-tian doctors don't haev to inform women of the abortion option or give out information on birthcontrol so, I guess this is just a tit for tat kind of thing.

So, when these women go to the dentist dressed in their finest Hoth StormTrooper face gear, how exactly does the dentist get at their teeth? I mean, if their face is behind a veil and all...?

That's a good point; I don't think I'd fancy anyone performing dental work on me without a clear view of what they were doing!

I would be worried if I walked out of my office to see the reception room full of ninjas. :P

I would be worried if I walked out of my office to see the reception room full of ninjas. :P

It'd also be oddly cool though...

It'd also be oddly cool though...

Oh I agree it would be cool but still worrying.

linked-image

It must be a real b*t** working on someone's teeth when they're wearing a veil over their face.

What's the use of that? If they don't already understand english they won't know what you're saying.

linked-image

He should be fined and dismissed. A ban on dentistry for 10 years.

Imposing religion at an NHS-RUN dentist?

But, alas. I bet all he receives a slap on the wrist and a "We're cool right? This makes us not racist, we're cool yeah? Cool."

Ugh. I hate my country - in political terms...

Edited by GreyWeather

He is not a dentist....He just opened the clinic to ensure that every Muslim women wore the scarfs as their tradition..What he must understand is that the times have changes and no more people follow these queer notions except some oldies like him

Thanks

B???

What, is this the only dentist office around? Is that why he is pulling this nonsense and getting away with it? I'm confused. Also, is this a community with mostly muslim people or is he telling all non-muslims to wear this garb, as well? I agree with whoever said "If I have to wear the headgear, you gotta eat pork!" This dentist must be making a salary that does not depend on how many customers he brings in, right? Forgive me I am unfamiliar with how things go down in the UK...but this dude wouldn't be playing this crap in the US! :no:

Um, yeah, I'd walk out too. And what's with the asking the husband to make his woman wear the veil? Seriously?

Um, yeah, I'd walk out too. And what's with the asking the husband to make his woman wear the veil? Seriously?

Women have no voice in fundlementalist Islam. They speak through their husband, and listen through them too.

Governments should NOT let people like this into our countries. You let them in, give them passports, build them mosques and in return they go jihad on you; blowing up your buses and trains. Now this nonsense. And you wonder why racism still exists?

He probably wouldn't treat her because it would reveal her secret identity once she took the ninja outfit off (see my avatar for an example lol).

Edited by SpIdErCyDe