Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Local Pub & Happenings

sarah snow

The pub in the village I live, an old building, has got new owners in and I've become good mates with them. Chatting over the weeks now, it turned out they are having quite a few experiences they can't explain and so I'd suggested as the building has never been investigated, I could contact a local paranormal investigation group to see if they were up for a visit.

Great timing as just as I'd got a reply, I went in for a beer at their request and turns out the wife who has always maintained a healthy scepticism, had just that afternoon had an experience.

She took me upstairs to the living quarters to show me where she's had her experience, and where other family members have reported stuff over the last few weeks. They've not carried out any renovations to the property since arrival.

She was sitting watching TV, when a mist-like shape moved from the corridor, entered the room, and walked right past the television. It had enough substance to actually block the screen as it passed by. At first she was thinking "it's probably a trick of the light" and just waited for it to completely pass by the screen.

But then her dog sprung to its feet and baring teeth and growling (which is totally out of character) and approached where the mist was. Then all of a sudden, her backside crumpled, as if something had skelped her bum or kicked the back legs.....and she cowered down, yelped and then ran under my friend's chair and stayed there trembling for ages. She was not 'right' all day after that.

My pal took me round the whole living quarters, it doesn't feel malevolent, but I certainly felt like we not alone there. The room where the activity seems to emanate from is the room where a figure has been seen in the doorway, someone mistook it for her husband when they first moved in, and it turned out that her hubby was downstairs in the bar and nobody else was up on that floor at the time.

So now I've contacted the paranormal group, they have spoken to my mate and are coming out to do an investigation. I'll try to get some pictures and things to see if I can capture anything to post for you here.

I used to work in this pub 21 years ago, often on my own as I was full time staff, and always felt something downstairs in the bar areas although I never saw anything.

I'm about to start doing some research into the building now, although the paranormal people want minimum information. But it will be interesting for me to see if what I uncover historically will tie with anything we experience or pick up through the investigation.

I'll let you know how it goes if you'd be interested :yes:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sarah snow

• schizoidwoman

• CausticGnostic

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

Ooh, that's very interesting... let us know what happens (and remember, don't cross the streams)!

Ooh, that's very interesting... let us know what happens (and remember, don't cross the streams)!

:lol: I will keep you posted for sure.

The paranormal team asked my friend about being by a stream and she replied honestly that she didn't know.

My Mum advised her last night that actually an underground stream runs directly underneath the pub itself :yes:

She was sitting watching TV, when a mist-like shape moved from the corridor, entered the room, and walked right past the television. It had enough substance to actually block the screen as it passed by. At first she was thinking "it's probably a trick of the light" and just waited for it to completely pass by the screen.

Your friend is very lucky and I am envious. Most ghost hunters will never see anything as good as what you have experienced, and we travel the globe trying to see them.

Researching the history of the pub is a really good idea. If possible, try to dinf the previous owners, to see if they, too, experienced anything bizarre. Also, encourage your friend to set up a video camera (prefarlby with sound) in that room, since it seems to be the "locus" of the strange activity. Keep us apprised, if you would.

Researching the history of the pub is a really good idea. If possible, try to dinf the previous owners, to see if they, too, experienced anything bizarre. Also, encourage your friend to set up a video camera (prefarlby with sound) in that room, since it seems to be the "locus" of the strange activity. Keep us apprised, if you would.

Hiya,

I'm already on the case with the previous owners, the wife is still alive and lives not too far away. A bit tricky as her husband, who was a gargantuan man both in stature and force of personality, passed away and I'm working out how to approach talking to her, as you never know- it would be him. I worked for him for 3 years, and it would not surprise me at all if he had 'come back' as he was a workoholic :lol:

But he became very ill and incapacitated at the end of his life and was a shadow of himself, very sad for us to see. I'm just mindful that it could actually be him, and am working out how I approach his wife. Upside is that I am told she speaks very affectionately of me even now after 20 years, so she'll know I only do things with the best of intentions (I hope :blush:).

Daft I know, but immediately when this figure was reported I immediately thought......I wonder if?....... :unsure2: And I want to be sensitive to the possibility she could spring to the same conclusion and that could upset her or cause her a degree of anguish, if she believes in these things. Tricky, tricky.

I'll definitely suggest the video camera in the room, or trained towards the doorway where the big male figure has been seen. Thanks for the guidance on that, much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to the research. I'll certainly keep you posted on it all, for sure :yes:

This is really interesting.

Haunted bars and pubs have caught my eye ever since I saw and felt some strange things at my mothers bar/night club that she use to own, four different people had died there, two before we bought the place and two after it was ours.

One of the pluses, for me at least that it was a business and like most had tons of security cams, and them being on 24/7 and also viewable from my home or anywhere I was online let me really look into things and watch during the off hours and so on.

(one of the more interesting disturbing things I found were two employees enjoying themselves on a pool table, but that belongs on a completely different kind of site haha)

So if there are any cams there it would be a good idea to look at them, go back and look at old footage and so on, it's really helpful.

Good luck with your investigating, there are always great stories behind places like this.

I can't wait to tell my mate about the pool table footage at your place, allie shy.......brilliant :lol::lol:

Just a ghost looking for a drink. Just leave out a glass of whiskey and things should quiet down ;)

Just a ghost looking for a drink. Just leave out a glass of whiskey and things should quiet down ;)

I'd bring a jam jar filled with holy water just in case though. :D

I'd bring a jam jar filled with holy water just in case though. :D

:lol: I can always chase it away by singing, my catterwalling will clear any room living or dead :lol:

Further reports from the pub. I've been laid up after dental surgery so tonight was the first time I've seen her and it's all going on.

Sadly (gutted) I am working when the paranormal group can make a visit, as they are coming quite a way and I already have work meetings so that's a bummer. But I've given her the details for the Forum so I'm really hoping she'll sign up and begin to colour in this thread now for you herself in the days to come :yes:

Lastest update:

She was sitting chatting with someone by the fireplace in the main part of the bar (so this is downstairs on the ground floor, and totally separate from the previous activity reported on the floor above, although it is directly above I think). The fireplace is close to the main door of the pub and it's the place you pass as you walk in the door and down to the bar.

As she was talking to the other person, it was commented that her hair/fringe kept moving, as if being blown by something. At the time she felt a coolness on her brow, but had thought nothing of it. But it kept happening to the point where the other person was saying about it. My friend then asked if they could swap seats, just to see if the same thing happened to the other lady. They did, and nothing happened to her.

My friend then just rationalised it in her mind. Old building, close to the main door. Sitting next to the fireplace. Draughts, winds, breezes. Nothing sinister, and just a coincidence that when they swapped pleaces the phenomenon stopped. She is very rational. She doesn't expect things to happen, and is very level-headed.

The fireplace in question is directly opposite the bar. The following day she had just unlocked the front door, returned behind the bar, and then she heard the door go. She though something like "Blimey, they're keen!" and in her side view a little girl walked through the door, down the slope past the fireplace and out of her view. My mate waited, expecting the Parents to be following any second.....and turned, and the little girl was gone :blink:

She saw her plain as plain. Black curly hair..."ringlets" was how she could best describe it...and a long flowery dress 3/4 length and flat boots. Old fashioned dress, once she reflected on it. The little girl was solid, as it was not until my mate realised the Parents were not coming and in fact, she'd just seen a ghost/apparition/something she could not explain, that she thought perhaps this little girl might be the one who could have been blowing her hair in the instance before by the fireplace.

My pal is a really fun person and as the things go on she is getting spooked a bit as anyone would, but as neither of us can feel anything malevolent in the building and it seems so very benign, she's OK. But I get the feeling she is very relieved that the paranormal people are coming next week. I am just gutted that I am working and am going to miss their visit. I wish I had seen the little girl myself. As my mate is such a funny person to be around, it does not surprise me one bit that a little spirit girl might be teasing her by blowing her hair- cheeky wee monkey :D

But hopefully soon, you'll be able to get it all from the horse's mouth :yes:

Edited by sarah snow

Sounds like some interesting activity and experiences going on there, I'm looking forward to hearing more about it :yes:

Sounds like some interesting activity and experiences going on there, I'm looking forward to hearing more about it :yes:

Well next week the paranormal group will number approx 4 people with equipment (she'll let us know after they speak on the 'phone tomorrow to confirm the arrangements) and I've passed on the suggestion of setting up a camera in the living room upstairs where she experienced the 'walk-past' entity.

We'll keep you posted for sure, LA :yes:

I like really old haunted pubs as much as castles, it brings out the history buff in me as they tend to have layers upon layers going on. With being pivotal places to the community you can always expect interesting vibes, energies, stories, scandals and mysteries.

Edited by Lady_Anvilabeel

Further update that yesterday was my mate's birthday and she's got loads of her family down to stay. I popped in just now to see them all.

This morning, her son's girlfriend (I've been chatting with her for a couple of hours just now) was doing the early bar shift. Main door was open and she was pottering about doing things behind the bar. She saw a man walk in through the main door......and then he was gone.

It's all going on hey :yes:

I didn't even realise until I popped in to see my mate tonight that I would be reporting my own experience. I walked past the pub on my way to my car, and I heard dogs bark. Thought nothing of it.

But turns out when we spoke tonight that they were all out with the dogs- for an early morning walk down the beach.

There were no dogs there it turns out and the time window is 100% certain with no room for error, and I heard it plain as day as I walked past the door. That I cannot explain :huh:

They are having all sorts of other experiences too.

The Paranormal Group are due to visit tomorrow, so I will let you know what happens and what they say.

But I do know that what I heard was so definite and I had no reason to think it was anything untoward until a throwaway comment that then turned into a :huh: dogs were out with us realisation.

Edited by sarah snow

Interesting, are you familiar enough with how their dogs sound, to know if it sounded like them or not ?

Edited by Lady_Anvilabeel

Interesting, are you familiar enough with how their dogs sound, to know if it sounded like them or not ?

Unfortunately not, which is why it didn't strike me as odd as I walked past to go to work. It was only in the evening when they were let down into the bar and I teased them about being 'noisy little beggars' that it turned out the pub was empty at that time. When we both realised what had happened I got a massive set of goodebumps on my neck :lol:

Well I was gutted that when the paranormal team came to the pub, I had a meeting at work I couldn't avoid- gutted <_<

But from what I've been told so far, the pub is indeed 'very active'.

Just from what I remember as it was a lot to take in at one

They've identified where the pub structure was different in years gone by, which I can investigate to see if that's accurate

They picked up on the man who "is always walking in and out" through the main door

There is a little girl upstairs in the living quarters, although none of the family have picked up on her upstairs, but we don't think it's the same little girl my friend saw and who we suspect was blowing her hair downstairs.

There is a benevolent lady who occupies the bedroom and she is looking after my mate, this is the calmness we have both felt in that room. She's a very positive entity.

They picked up on some kind of activity upstairs, people rushing about, and sensed it was in relation to something quite tragic relating to a family. Maybe the loss of a child or similar.

A lady is there and kept asking the medium where her husband was as it seems she's without him and cannot find him.

There is indeed a man who walks around upstairs, and he is the mischievous one that kicked the dog and was seen walking past the telly and outlined in the doorway. Also this week, another member of the family got hit by him on the head- so hard it made her cry! But according to the medium, when they were talking about this, the spirit was with them and was laughing about it. Apparently because he's a big man he doesn't realise his own strength when he does these impish things. He's not malicious, he's just mischievous and likes people to know he's around, which is why he likes playing tricks on people.

Lastly, they picked up on an entity around the small bar area, and the medium picked up on the name "Jim". This has coincided with a photograph taken in this area, which I've posted below, and they noticed there appears to be what looks like a face in the black shelf.

Now they were sitting at the bar looking at this photograph when my neighbour came in....knew nothing of the investigation or anything that was discussed.......he took one look at the photo 'face' and said "That's Jimmy!", who is apparently a long-dead customer of the pub :o

I know the face there could be a trick of the light or a reflection, but what an amazing coincidence when it's coupled with the medium picking up Jim and my neighbour coming out with Jimmy as the face, when he didn't know anything about the medium's visit.

There will be more information, but I've not had chance to fully touch base with my pal yet. But so far, what an interesting visit it was and lots for me to get cracking on trying to check facts on in records office etc.

post-78812-1243113652_thumb.jpg

I know the face there could be a trick of the light or a reflection, but what an amazing coincidence when it's coupled with the medium picking up Jim and my neighbour coming out with Jimmy as the face, when he didn't know anything about the medium's visit.

Here's a closer look,

linked-image

That certainly is an interesting coincidence, it certainly helps validate what the medium was picking up. But then again i don't believe in coincidences :P

:lol:

Wow that is a pretty cool story Sarah, keep us posted!

Wow that is a pretty cool story Sarah, keep us posted!

Will do, hunny. If all goes to plan, we're going to have an all night vigil down in the bar fairly soon. I'll let you know if anything happens and will take a load of pictures. PLus anything I turn up through invetigating the pub iteself etc and former owners/occupiers :tu:

Man, that's the kind of ghost I'd want to be!--the kind that kicks dogs and punches people in the head! You can't get away with shennanigans like that while you're on "this side." You'd get fined or thrown in jail! What an entertaining way to spend eternity! How, exactly, does one go about becoming a "mischievous" ghost?

Edited by CausticGnostic