Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

50 years of seeking E.T.

UM-Bot

Image credit: NASA
It has been nearly 50 years since the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) first started scouring the heavens for signs of intelligent alien life, but so far aside from a couple of blips the scientists behind the program have come up empty.

"It's been almost 50 years since scientists first came up with the idea of looking for radio signals from extraterrestrial civilizations - and although there have been a couple of curious blips, we haven't yet definitively heard E.T.'s cosmic call. Now the experts in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, or SETI, are wondering whether we've been looking in the wrong places for the wrong kinds of signals."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: MSNBC Cosmic Log

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lt_Ripley

• Legatus Legionis

• UM-Bot

• RickyPrescott

Top Posters In This Topic

" searching for radio signals " ?? pft, why do they assume that Intelligent Beings that rivals us or greater would take the same route of technological advancement as ours? maybe they've developed other means of communication than Radio..

maybe they've developed other means of communication than Radio..

Well, what if they haven't? :) Would be a missed opportunity then ;)

Now the experts in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, or SETI, are wondering whether we've been looking in the wrong places for the wrong kinds of signals

gee , I've been saying that for ages . lol. well about radio signals anyway .

Edited by Lt_Ripley

Well, what if they haven't? :) Would be a missed opportunity then ;)

well even if they did. this is a vast universe, (take note that I didn't say galaxy)

what if we are the only ones in this galaxy that is still using radio frequency, hmm..

We've only been here like 3 million years. That's nada to Earth and Space! Dinosaurs were on Earth for 150 million years and just what did they get done??? Exactly..Patience my cenobites..... :whistle:

It has been nearly 50 years since the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) first started scouring the heavens for signs of intelligent alien life, but so far aside from a couple of blips the scientists behind the program have come up empty.

"It's been almost 50 years since scientists first came up with the idea of looking for radio signals from extraterrestrial civilizations - and although there have been a couple of curious blips, we haven't yet definitively heard E.T.'s cosmic call. Now the experts in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, or SETI, are wondering whether we've been looking in the wrong places for the wrong kinds of signals."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | linked-imageSource: MSNBC Cosmic Log

Cool article I have actually enjoyed SETI and their project for years, I even give them computer time from my home to help analize signals.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

Drake speculates that the aliens might be transmitting digitally, with lasers instead of monster radio antennas.

I still can't believe it took someone this long to come to this speculation. :blink:

I still can't believe it took someone this long to come to this speculation. :blink:

if they ever used radiosignals, then we will recive it.

Has anyone at SETI even investigated one single UFO sighting? Do they totally dismiss all credible witnesses as nut jobs? I would think if their search is that important, they would take all accounts into consideration no matter how believable or improbable.

And you would think that if ET's has the ability to travel vast distances, they would in turn be a hundred, thousand, maybe even a million years more advanced than us. I give them credit for trying but would they really be using primitive radio signals to communicate? I sometimes think SETI doesn't even consider the possibilities or acknowledge whats occurring here on earth.

Edited by raoulduke666