Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Ghost Hunters Hoax - Real or Not?

JC De La Torre

I've always been a big fan of Ghost Hunters because they seemed to be legitimate in their efforts to investigate paranormal phenomena - at least as far as I, a novice, could tell. I missed the live Halloween show in 2008 but a friend of mine who is in a TAPS style group locally told me about how they were exposed as frauds.

Here's an example of what occurred -

So was I just naive in believing that GH was legit or is this person over analyzing phenomena that could be real. Seems to me, its pretty concrete Grant faked it. For me, it ruined the show and I haven't watched since. I'd rather not know they were fakes than to know and have to watch every show and wonder - was that a real EVP or hot flash on the infrared or are they faking again?

Can those of you in the ghost hunting community comment on this? I'm curious to hear your opinions.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• cool_details

• Blueguardian

• Purple Pisces

I've always been a big fan of Ghost Hunters because they seemed to be legitimate in their efforts to investigate paranormal phenomena - at least as far as I, a novice, could tell. I missed the live Halloween show in 2008 but a friend of mine who is in a TAPS style group locally told me about how they were exposed as frauds.

So was I just naive in believing that GH was legit or is this person over analyzing phenomena that could be real. Seems to me, its pretty concrete Grant faked it. For me, it ruined the show and I haven't watched since. I'd rather not know they were fakes than to know and have to watch every show and wonder - was that a real EVP or hot flash on the infrared or are they faking again?

Can those of you in the ghost hunting community comment on this? I'm curious to hear your opinions.

I like this guys analysis better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMRc9CO54xY

I think though, that this topic has worn itself out. Ghost Hunters has been damaged by the claim of faking evidence and I am sure it wont be long before they are no longer televised.

But another show will probably take its place and the cycle will repeat itself.

The link I sent you is or a guy calling himsel Haunted hoax. He has over videos that debunked some of the videos that people post o their 'ghosts' I like him because he is impartial.

Lady Ma'at

You see JC De La Torre, it's really all about ratings. If there was nothing to show for all of this, how do you think the ratings would shape up?

Cynical I know, but that's life...

If you want to learn about ghosts, (and I'm not saying that they exist) then join a Ghost Investigating Group; you will learn some techniques for 'hunting ghosts' and also get a hands on feel for whether your peers in the group are genuinely getting results, or whether it is all BS. :yes:

I am a huge Ghost Hunters fan so I may be just a tad partial in my opinion!! Just because a tug on a collar can be recreated doesn't mean that the evidence that was caught during their live investigation was a fraud. I have seen a few episodes of Ghost Hunters where they have exposed people trying to pull one over on them. IMO if they were in it for the ratings they would have let the "evidence" go forward as being paranormal. I have also seen episodes where they haven't caught a single shred of evidence! One of the reasons that I love Ghost Hunters is that they do try and debunk any evidence that they find.

I am new here and definitely don't want to step on any one's toes! I know that the subject of the paranormal in itself can be controversial and I definitely have nothing but respect for individuals and their opinions! I think we can learn from others viewpoints!! :)

I am a huge Ghost Hunters fan so I may be just a tad partial in my opinion!! Just because a tug on a collar can be recreated doesn't mean that the evidence that was caught during their live investigation was a fraud. I have seen a few episodes of Ghost Hunters where they have exposed people trying to pull one over on them. IMO if they were in it for the ratings they would have let the "evidence" go forward as being paranormal. I have also seen episodes where they haven't caught a single shred of evidence! One of the reasons that I love Ghost Hunters is that they do try and debunk any evidence that they find.

I am new here and definitely don't want to step on any one's toes! I know that the subject of the paranormal in itself can be controversial and I definitely have nothing but respect for individuals and their opinions! I think we can learn from others viewpoints!! :)

Don't worry Purple Pisces, you haven't stepped on my toes. :) Your opinion is just as valid as mine, or anyone else's.

Oh, and welcome to the best Ghost Site on the internet. :tu:

if notice alot of the shows leading up to the halloween special were being ruled as haunted... kinda sad

• 3 weeks later...

This is what made me enjoy and believe in the show but I'm sorry, Purple Pisces, you have to be blind not to see the hoax. Just look at Jason's face - even he didn't believe Grant and I think was annoyed he was trying to pull this off on a live show.

As for ratings, the fraud has caused me never to watch the show again, I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel that way - so I hope they like their ratings now.

Hi JC and welcome.Don't give up on the show.I watch it for entertainment, and they do catch things, like their visit to the San Augustine Light House in Florida. That definetly wasn't faked.They did expose the bed spread moving on the Queen Mary as a hoax,and of course the Moss Beach Distillery.

It's a shame that TAPS didn't go way down into the Queen Mary, in the area where the engines are. I remember seeing many years ago a show about ghosts and it had on there the Queen Mary.Dr.William Rolle placed a voice activated tape recorder down in that area.And area that is acessable only to maintance workers, no visitors are allowed there ,nor can get there. They recorded voices and noises and there were no humans around.

The thing with Jay and Grant at the Halloween Live Show, well if Grant had mentioned just once to Jay about something doing a tug on his jacket , then

you could say maybe it was paranormal.But Grant kept saying several times this"ghost" tugged on the jacket,and it seemed like it was always in the same place. I guess Jay thought that if Grant kept at it,then the fans would think it's bogus,hence Jay's PO'd expression.Now did Jay know that Grant had done something to rig his jacket so that it appeared to move by itself,I don't know, but he sure wasn't happy about it.

The episode with the Armory and frank getting hit when his gear bag moved up and hit him in the face wasn't fake .That was real.

I think alot of pressure is put on them by SCI-FI to produce results for ratings.But you can't turn it off and on like a faucet.

Many investigartors can tell you this. They may go to some place and have activity, then next time, nothing happens.

Who knows, amybe some time you might watch it and catch some really good activity, just can't tell.

Well I guess I'm blind, naive and what ever other term anyone wants to throw out there!! I have watched TAPS since their very 1st episode and will continue to watch them. I refuse to believe that they would risk the reputation of their group or the reputation of their families. It just amazes me how people can make judgement calls on someone's character who they've never even met!! :td:

When someone televises something like this I'm going to automatically assume that they're folks who just want attention, and want to cash in on unknown phenomenon. The world is filled with those kinds of people, and most ghost reality TV shows I know of are run by those kinds of people, and so far Ghost Hunters hasn't given me any reason to believe that they're any different.

This is what made me enjoy and believe in the show but I'm sorry, Purple Pisces, you have to be blind not to see the hoax. Just look at Jason's face - even he didn't believe Grant and I think was annoyed he was trying to pull this off on a live show.

As for ratings, the fraud has caused me never to watch the show again, I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel that way - so I hope they like their ratings now.

Their ratings are as good as ever, if not better, since the Halloween episode.

But I agree with Purple. Way to base your opinion on people you've never even met. :tu: I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It's TV, and TAPS probably does have things that they won't want to do, but because of contract, are forced to. SciFi isn't a trustworthy program, and I hate that TAPS got a starting with them, so as for trusting the SHOW? Who gives a whoot, it's entertainment. As for trusting the TEAM? For what reason do you have not to? Did they come to your house and then proceed to p*** in your Cheerios?

I think there should be shows that don't fake evidence, sponsors have to understand that not every show can guarantee evidence. Even if they walked around a possibly haunted house for an entire episode and didn't get anything.

I think there should be shows that don't fake evidence, sponsors have to understand that not every show can guarantee evidence. Even if they walked around a possibly haunted house for an entire episode and didn't get anything.

How many people would watch that? Investigations are boring as hell, no one wants to see that side of them.

Not every episode of Ghost Hunters brings up evidence! I've seen quite a few episodes where there was nothing to be found. I remember one episode where this man thought his house was haunted and TAPS was able to debunk it. The man had a lot of chemicals used in restoration projects, as well as high EMF readings that were causing the unsettling feelings. So not only did TAPS debunk the haunting, but also showed this man that there were things in his home that were causing him possible harm.

I just don't understand how it can be said that the show (or network) fakes evidence to make the show interesting when there have been plenty of shows with no evidence.

I predicted that there would come a time that the TAPS disciples would have no alternative but to denounce their dubious demigods, but the loyal, bewildered core fans are still holding out (for now) :whistle:

Edited by cool_details

I predicted that there would come a time that the TAPS disciples would have no alternative but to denounce their dubious demigods, but but the loyal, bewildered core fans are still holding out (for now) :whistle:

I think I've already stated plenty of times I don't watch them anymore. *Shrug* Not because I don't like them, but because after three seasons it's awful repetitive. Again, ghost hunting is boring crap. It's kind of like crab fishing. First episode, HOLY CRAP that's awesome. Second, cool. Third, why am I still watching? But I've also said that TAPS is not the same thing as Ghost Hunters. You can dislike Ghost Hunters all you want, but you cannot dislike TAPS until you've met them face to face and understand what the team does.

Sorry for being a bit vague here folks..help me out with the details if you can...

I saw one episode of Ghost Hunters in which Jason had to leave for an emergency, I believe. I think TAPS was at a haunted hotel because they spent the night. Anyway..Grant set up a camera in his room while he slept and was positioned to film the foot of his bed. Sometime during the night the cover were mysteriously pulled up. (The story was that there was a ghost that exposed people's feet while they slept or something).

The point of all this is...I have read posts on here about Grant's hoax on the Halloween show and I didn't really want to believe it %100- but when I saw the rerun of this older episode at the hotel...I was shocked to notice that the cover that was supposedly pulled back on Grant's bed was done in such a similar way as the jacket tugging incident. It totally looked like Grant had attached a string to the inside of the blanket and tugged it upward.

The reason I say this is because most people- if they were going to pull back a blanket would simply fold it over- (TADA!) feet are exposed. This tugging was done by an invisible hand that grabs the blanket from about mid-shin area and pinches the blanket, tugging it upward. I'm sorry I don't have the video to show. I'll see if I can go on YouTube and find it somehow. Or if someone else finds it before me...that would be great.

I think I've already stated plenty of times I don't watch them anymore. *Shrug* Not because I don't like them, but because after three seasons it's awful repetitive. Again, ghost hunting is boring crap. It's kind of like crab fishing. First episode, HOLY CRAP that's awesome. Second, cool. Third, why am I still watching? But I've also said that TAPS is not the same thing as Ghost Hunters. You can dislike Ghost Hunters all you want, but you cannot dislike TAPS until you've met them face to face and understand what the team does.

Well since I was not quoting you, nor was my comment directed at you, and since I consider both TAPS and GH a joke and an insult to someone like me and other like minded in the community, perhaps yet another reiteration of you GH vs TAPS stance is superfluous :yes:

Edited by cool_details

Well since I was not quoting you, nor was my comment directed at you, and since I consider both TAPS and GH a joke and an insult to someone like me and other like minded in the community, perhaps yet another reiteration of you GH vs TAPS stance is superfluous :yes:

Doesn't matter who you quoted or who the post was directed at, it's a discussion forum, so I can reply. :tu:

But it is impolite and immature to form an opinion of some person based on a TV show they do. You have to separate television from reality, and if you're incapable of doing that then you can expect people to lose respect for you due to that inability.

Doesn't matter who you quoted or who the post was directed at, it's a discussion forum, so I can reply. :tu:

But it is impolite and immature to form an opinion of some person based on a TV show they do. You have to separate television from reality, and if you're incapable of doing that then you can expect people to lose respect for you due to that inability.

I do not believe it was ever implied that you not respond dear :rolleyes: My opinion is as I stated and seems to be more than just me moving in the direction of "out with the old fakes" (GH/TAPs) and as far as respect goes seems you might want to rethink your own statement. :)

First of all, welcome to Unexplained Taps, I mean Mysteries! It was while doing a search on the words "Jacket Tug" that I accidentally stumbled onto this place many moons ago and here I be! I believe if you go to the search box up on the top and do a search for "Jacket Tug" you will be gob smacked when you find out how many times the subject has been brought up here already! Same thing if you go to Utube!

So keep up the skeptical thinking. This DOES NOT mean everything is fraudulent. It just means it gives the real things a bad name. Also please check out my husband's radio show www.strangefrequencies.com. His show is every Sunday night. He and his partner (I forget his partner's name - some bum he picked off the street) have AMAZING guests every weekend such as Loyd Aeurbach and also sceptics and so many more I cannot even think straight right now! So again, welcome!!!

Edited by Staceyinfo

I do not believe it was ever implied that you not respond dear :rolleyes: My opinion is as I stated and seems to be more than just me moving in the direction of "out with the old fakes" (GH/TAPs) and as far as respect goes seems you might want to rethink your own statement. :)

"Well since I was not quoting you, nor was my comment directed at you" is quite the implication.

First of all, welcome to Unexplained Taps, I mean Mysteries! It was while doing a search on the words "Jacket Tug" that I accidentally stumbled onto this place many moons ago and here I be! I believe if you go to the search box up on the top and do a search for "Jacket Tug" you will be gob smacked when you find out how many times the subject has been brought up here already! Same thing if you go to Utube!

So keep up the skeptical thinking. This DOES NOT mean everything is fraudulent. It just means it gives the real things a bad name. Also please check out my husband's radio show www.strangefrequencies.com. His show is every Sunday night. He and his partner (I forget his partner's name - some bum he picked off the street) have AMAZING guests every weekend such as Loyd Aeurbach and also sceptics and so many more I cannot even think straight right now! So again, welcome!!!

Thanks for the welcome Stacyinfo, I do know Jason/Rob and the show quite well, I enjoy listening very much! he does a fine job ma'am:)