Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How the Neanderthals met their grisly end

Still Waters

If it exists, humans have eaten, or tired to eat it.

This is an offshoot of Rule 34, isn't it? :P

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• Queen in the North

• Wolf MacCanine

• MirrorImage

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard about this - a neanderhtal skeleton that shows signs of butchering. That proves that this individual was probably eaten. Not all by a long shot were, I would say. We can say conclusively that we did not or could not interbreed with them - no neanderthal DNA is in ours - but I have often wondered if perhaps we bred them to death. Consider this idea: if our numbers increased to far above theirs, and there was interbreeding that either produced no offspring or sterile offspring, over time more and more neanderthals trying to mate with homo sapiens could have just lead to the death of their species.

I've heard about this - a neanderhtal skeleton that shows signs of butchering. That proves that this individual was probably eaten. Not all by a long shot were, I would say. We can say conclusively that we did not or could not interbreed with them - no neanderthal DNA is in ours - but I have often wondered if perhaps we bred them to death. Consider this idea: if our numbers increased to far above theirs, and there was interbreeding that either produced no offspring or sterile offspring, over time more and more neanderthals trying to mate with homo sapiens could have just lead to the death of their species.

True they could have been breed out of existence. Sounds a lot like evolution ;)

Given the fact that cannibalism is a reality, why should it be surprising that some people ate Neanderthals?

Comes as no shock to me, as I would eat you in a heart beat LOL

Thong,

After checking Siara's profile ( :wub: ), I must aver that I find myself in complete and utter agreement with your above-stated position!

Let the feast begin, I say. :lol:

Harte

I have to agree with Francesco d'Errico, one jawbone does not speak for the species.

I quote this statement again as it says volumes about the scientific community in general;

dude, it's the opinion of one researcher boosted by a sensationalist reporter. It say's nothing of the scientific community...

This is an offshoot of Rule 34, isn't it? :P

Yep, its right under "if it fits in your mouth, put it in your mouth" and just above "if it tastes funky, spit it out"

Edited by MirrorImage