Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia's OSETI detects unknown signal

UM-Bot

Image credit: NASA
Image credit: NASA
Astronomers in Australia listening out for signs of intelligent alien life by searching for optical laser pulses as oppose to radio signals detected an unusually strong laser signal in December 2008 that has yet to be identified.

"Contrary to the classical Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, (SETI) that is listening to intelligent radio signals from outer space, so called "OSETI" is searching for strong "optical" laser pulses or strong laser flashes."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | linked-imageSource: grenzwissenschaft-aktuell

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• jbondo

• Michael J Jackson

• Cymro

Top Posters In This Topic

"It may be a glitch in our equipment, or some astrophysical phenomena (e.g an optical pulsar) or some unknown source. We are still investigating it"

As much as I'd like to see these programs succeed the problem will always lie in source identification. If these blips can't be identified then what's the sense? It excites me but at the same time it feels kind of helpless.

If it takes them that long to tell us about one blip, you could build a hamlet if several of them come in. That's if isn't hussed up first.

I live in Australia. Judging by the way we sometimes behave, it was probably an equipment malfunction through dodgy maufacturing.... :(

It may be a glitch in our equipment, or some astrophysical phenomena (e.g an optical pulsar) or some unknown source. We are still investigating it

Well I'm glad they're still investigating, but it seems kind-of pointless to have SETI and OSETI if, as soon as they get something interesting, they blame it on malfunctioning equipment. I think people are just afraid to say that it might be extraterrestrial because if it turns out to be a mistake they look dumb. So they overcompensate by assuming that every unexplained signal they get is just a mistake. But I'm not scarred to say that I hope that it is aliens sending us a message and if it does turn out to be a mistake, I’ll remain hopeful.

I've never heard of OSETI!

Is that the SEarch for InTelligent life in Oz?

Edited by Leonardo