Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thunderbird photo

Murder 101

Found another picture, I think it might be a drawing though.

http://books.google.com/books?id=LYr3fSjwf...snum=3#PPA89,M1 (scroll up the page a little bit.)

A photomanipulation, but it accurately depicts the description of the creature that read in the Wiki article. Not necessarily the description of the photo itself though.

you know whats really weird? Im pretty sure I have seen a thread exactly like this on before. like almost all of the post were idenitical. Someone came in asking for the picture saying they saw it in a book. People talk about how hard it was to tind that picture and how no one has seen it. Other people post thunderbird realated pictures.

Someone has to no what I am talkin about because when I opened this thread and read the post at first I could have sworn this was the exact thread I read along time agon then I saw the posts dates...

Hi.

I know what you are talking about.

This is the original photograph, I believe:

linked-image

I was so excited to find it, I just *had* to make a new thread about it, despite some expected growling at another thunderbird thread. :P

Hi.

I know what you are talking about.

This is the original photograph, I believe:

linked-image

I was so excited to find it, I just *had* to make a new thread about it, despite some expected growling at another thunderbird thread. :P

Nah, I wasn't growling, just trying to save you some grief.

HN

Nah, the one thats being looked for is in my avatar. We're looking for a real pic of a big bird on a barn. Good find tho

I know the EXACT picture you are talking about. I can't believe that I haven't been able to find it...will keep looking though!

Gos I know the picture, I saw it in an old book on cryptids I think. Its a shame the library wouldnt have record of books I checked out 20 years ago!

Ok Im off to hunt for it, now its going to bug me lol

linked-image Thats not it either, but its a neat pic

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/lost-t-bd-photo/ one of the comments says the name of the book is Myseteries of the Unexplained...that seems pretty close to what I remember the book I read being called.

The closest I can come to what I remember is what I posted above, but I remember more people, and no kid.

link has copy of pic I posted above

http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/thunderbird_photos.html

Edited by MirrorImage

I have to be really specific otherwise I keep getting the TV puppet show Thunderbirds appearing in my Google searches. Type Thunderbird and Crypto or animal or fauna, ect. This is what I found. It's not a validated creature, as there isn't any fossils. However it makes good inspiration.

Thunderbird film

Edited by Lady Amethyst

I have to be really specific otherwise I keep getting the TV puppet show Thunderbirds appearing in my Google searches. Type Thunderbird and Crypto or animal or fauna, ect. This is what I found. It's not a validated creature, as there isn't any fossils. However it makes good inspiration.

Thunderbird film

LOL. I got the same responses from Google.

The picture exists. The Thunderbird? Not so much.

:)

HN

Thunderbird film

:huh: ... There are tons of giant birds that died out several thousand years ago that easily fit the description of the Thunderbird. Ancient peoples lived with these birds (argentavis and aiolornis), that are the foundation for such stories. The thunderbird did exist, but does it still exist today--that's the question.

The picture itself is a cryptid, I swear it!

Lost Thunderbird Snapshot, Ivan Sanderson and Forteana

It’s called the "Thunderbird Photograph" which, allegedly, was taken in Texas at the end of the nineteenth century. The image depicts six adult men clothed in Western attire in front of a barn, standing fingertip to fingertip, where the bird is nailed to an exterior wall.

Many have claimed to have seen or held this photo. The late Ivan T. Sanderson reportedly had a copy in 1966. He said he gave it to a couple of Pennsylvanians who were searching for the Thunderbird, then lost the snapshot.

Sanderson was a naturalist, paranormalist, cryptozoologist and follower of Charles Hoy Fort who researched and wrote about paranormal and anomalous phenomena. Many of these anomalies are referred to as Fortean Phenomena and Forteana, while others, such as cryptozoology, the scientific study of hidden animals, and Ufology, have their own fields.

The Thunderbird Photograph was alleged to have been published in an 1886 edition of the Tombstone Arizona Epitaph. In 1963, Jack Pearl wrote an article, "The Monster Bird That Carries off Human Beings!" in Saga magazine.

After the article was published, the Epitaph and others conducted an extensive search for the Thunderbird Photograph and found none, but discovered an article dated April 26, 1890 about a sixteen foot bird that ranchers found in the desert

http://cryptozoology.suite101.com/article....tograph_missing

In 1963, Jack Pearl revived the tale for an article in a magazine called Saga. Among other things, he wrote that the Epigraph newspaper story had run with a photograph of the giant bird's carcass, nailed up to a wall with its mighty wingspan unfurled, and a number of men posing next to it for scale. Despite numerous people who have claimed to have seen this photograph recently, no one has ever been able to produce a copy of the picture. Ivan T. Sanderson claimed to have once owned a copy of the photo, which vanished after he loaned it to an acquaintance in the 1960s. The television program Freaky Links staged a similar photo, giving new life to the "Thunderbird Photograph" legend. The image is said to depict six western clothed adult men, standing fingertip to fingertip in front of a barn where a large bird is nailed to the wall.

http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?titl...rbird#Sightings

Either the pic exists, or we have all seen the same staged pic, which also seems to be missing from the net.

Edited by MirrorImage

you know whats really weird? Im pretty sure I have seen a thread exactly like this on before. like almost all of the post were idenitical. Someone came in asking for the picture saying they saw it in a book. People talk about how hard it was to tind that picture and how no one has seen it. Other people post thunderbird realated pictures.

Someone has to no what I am talkin about because when I opened this thread and read the post at first I could have sworn this was the exact thread I read along time agon then I saw the posts dates...

I know what you are talking about. This has been discussed before on here. Where the thread is, I don't know. But I didn't exactly look for it.

It also could have been a discussion inside a thread that wasn't labeled 'Thunderbird'.

But you are not crazy, we have been down this path before...at least I think! :rofl:

Take care,

Lorelei :)

I know I saw this picture and I'm almost positive it was in a textbook at school.

I remember every detail of the picture.

Now that I've read the links I'm beginning to think maybe I imagined it.

How odd is that? Could all of us who remember seeing this picture have just imagined it? And why would we remember a picture that doesn't exist? Weird.

BTW, this isn't the only picture that has been looked for and remembered by many, but impossible to find.

I know I saw this picture and I'm almost positive it was in a textbook at school.

I remember every detail of the picture.

Now that I've read the links I'm beginning to think maybe I imagined it.

How odd is that? Could all of us who remember seeing this picture have just imagined it? And why would we remember a picture that doesn't exist? Weird.

BTW, this isn't the only picture that has been looked for and remembered by many, but impossible to find.

I think I posted it on the other thread, there are tons of forums and articles about this missing photo. I cant believe thousands of us remember it, yet it doesnt seem to exist.

Other missing pics you say? Ohh post links if can find info about them.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't exist, because we're hardwired to agree--and then we'll actually believe ourselves over a period of time. Deja vu, for instance, is nothing more than a misfiring in your brain; deja vus never happen. But we're certain that they have, much like this. It could be nothing more than a false memory, something we tried to remember for someone else, or something we just totally made up. Who knows--but when you get to finite details such as "I saw it in such and such book," then it's difficult to dispute. I think it's out there, but why it's gone "missing" and caused such a fuss, I don't know. I guess we can really only wait until someone looks into their encyclopedias or textbooks or old collections before we really know. :]

check out this youtube video at 4:20, there is a thunderbird pic, i don'tr think it is the one you are talking about though, but it is the only one that i remember.

check out this youtube video at 4:20, there is a thunderbird pic, i don'tr think it is the one you are talking about though, but it is the only one that i remember.

Nope. That one has been posted numerous times already throughout this very topic.

the annoying thing is that i have mysteries of the unexplained but i can't find it right now.

Check Fortean Times website, they had one there if I remember correctly. JUst on a quick lunch break, good luck!