Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thunderbird photo

Murder 101

the photo doesn't exist I've read a lot about it before people keep saying they saw the picture somewhere when they younger, in newspapers and such but yet no one can seem to turn it up? the photo isn't real and the most likely explanation is people have heard about this picture so much and what it is said to contain they have vague recollections of seeing it

But they're all fake.

Well I think it was an intended fake for the original (which would be a hoax photo)

Dose any one have a book or something that has the original, if so just scan it in to the computer. I'm interested in seeing it.

This thing is so rare that litterally noone on the internet anywhere, or any second hand book store they've visited has a book with it in it. People have looked through every book that they thought they saw it in to no luck. It sucks, badly.

It has to be out there somewhere. I saw the thing on television.It's not just gonna disappear completely.

It has to be out there somewhere. I saw the thing on television.It's not just gonna disappear completely.

What was the name of the tv show? Did it show "the" thunderbird photo, like the one in your avatar?

I ThinkI Saw The Photo Ages Ago On Youtube On One Of Those "Weird Creatures" Videos .. I Can't Find It Anymore Tho, As Loads Have Been Deleted ..

Is this the canadian tv show you are talking about?

What was the name of the tv show? Did it show "the" thunderbird photo, like the one in your avatar?

I don't remember the name. It was on Discovery and it showed the "real" version of my avatar. I even remember the way they panned over the photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Could this be the photo?

2961968590e45f78.jpg

Could this be the photo?

2961968590e45f78.jpg

I know the thread is long, but this picture has been posted half a dozen times with the exact same question above it :lol:

Anyway, It's not.

The one we're all chasing after is in Murder101s DP in drawing form.

Yep guys, unless you have dug this picture up from some old archives on the net, google images has probably been scanned over countless times. This is most likely not in any online public domains. Chances are, if you do find it, it will be in a book.

Yep guys, unless you have dug this picture up from some old archives on the net, google images has probably been scanned over countless times. This is most likely not in any online public domains. Chances are, if you do find it, it will be in a book.

I still swear I saw it in one of my Grandfathers old books or perhaps his Nexus magazines... I've looked through around 40 of the 100 or so I have of his, but no luck yet.

There's a few old Readers Digests floating around as well, I got a 1985 copy of 'Mysteries of the Unexplained' which I hoped I had seen the picture in, yet after reading it nothing.

There are a few others out there I haven't had the chance to look through, the 1981 Strange Stories, Amazing Facts for one.

One day we will find it lads!

Edited by Wandering

I still swear I saw it in one of my Grandfathers old books or perhaps his Nexus magazines... I've looked through around 40 of the 100 or so I have of his, but no luck yet.

There's a few old Readers Digests floating around as well, I got a 1985 copy of 'Mysteries of the Unexplained' which I hoped I had seen the picture in, yet after reading it nothing.

There are a few others out there I haven't had the chance to look through, the 1981 Strange Stories, Amazing Facts for one.

One day we will find it lads!

The nexus magazines? Never heard of them but this is the first time I believed I've seen them mentioned here. Apparently the readers digests have been scoured through. I have also heard that 'Mysteries of the Unexplained' book name thrown about a few times.

Keep looking! I for one have never seen the picture but so many people are adamant they have, what a find it will be if it exists.

A great first post Mryumyum, looks like alot of legwork has been done already.

Interesting to hear Mark Chorvinsky did alot of research for an article and didn't find anything.

At least ATS seems to have the decade down pat, I believe I saw it in the late 80s or early 90s, I would have been younger than 10.

Is the 80s when most people remember seeing it?

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, but this may come close to at least the source of what you're looking for.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/tbirdaz.html

It was definitely something I'm looking into now, as I'm interested in the same type of creatures.

I wonder if they have some old accounts at the Library of Congress, I'd love to make a trip there just to find out.

DC is on my list of places to travel this year, so I'll update if I find anything of importance or reference :-)

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, but this may come close to at least the source of what you're looking for.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/tbirdaz.html

It was definitely something I'm looking into now, as I'm interested in the same type of creatures.

I wonder if they have some old accounts at the Library of Congress, I'd love to make a trip there just to find out.

DC is on my list of places to travel this year, so I'll update if I find anything of importance or

Everybody should check the libraries in their towns and see they can find it, libraries usually have old books

I don't remember the name. It was on Discovery and it showed the "real" version of my avatar. I even remember the way they panned over the photo.

Hello, I'm sort of new to the forums; I've been lurking here since last summer and recently created an account. When you said Discovery, could you have meant Animal Planet? Or were you simply talking about the Discovery Channel itself because Discovery owns both and they're sister channels. Animal Planet had a program called 'Lost Tapes' going on. They did do an episode about the Thunderbird but I highly doubt this photo is in that episode. .

A great first post Mryumyum, looks like alot of legwork has been done already.

Interesting to hear Mark Chorvinsky did alot of research for an article and didn't find anything.

At least ATS seems to have the decade down pat, I believe I saw it in the late 80s or early 90s, I would have been younger than 10.

Is the 80s when most people remember seeing it?

I could have sworn it was in the Timelife Mysteries of the Unknown book series, though most others claim the same. I used to go to the library every week and get one of those books. Would have been early to mid 90's.

Of course, I have that entire series and the photo does not exist in it. Some have suggested it was only in the first edition printings, which are the ones I have. No photo.

I, too, have and have been through most of the other books that it has been "seen" in.

I seem to recall the photo being on the outside of the barn and the men did not have their arms outstreched. I recall about 6 or 7 rugged looking men holding guns with a dressed up guy in the middle. Pocket watch, top hat, etc. Of course if the photo never did exist I guess I'm just inventing details.

I could have sworn it was in the Timelife Mysteries of the Unknown book series, though most others claim the same. I used to go to the library every week and get one of those books. Would have been early to mid 90's.

Of course, I have that entire series and the photo does not exist in it. Some have suggested it was only in the first edition printings, which are the ones I have. No photo.

I, too, have and have been through most of the other books that it has been "seen" in.

I seem to recall the photo being on the outside of the barn and the men did not have their arms outstreched. I recall about 6 or 7 rugged looking men holding guns with a dressed up guy in the middle. Pocket watch, top hat, etc. Of course if the photo never did exist I guess I'm just inventing details.

That is in line with everyones memory of the photo, the description and general timeframe.

Are the Timelife books published by Readers Digest?

That is in line with everyones memory of the photo, the description and general timeframe.

Are the Timelife books published by Readers Digest?

They were published by Time-Life

41DC81twmHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(Not my photo. From amazon)

I believe this is the book in the series that people claim to have seen it in.

I also have a Readers Digest mysteries of the Unexplained. Not in there, either.

There is another readers digest mysteries of something or other book i have/ I'd have to dig it out. I know there is no thunderbird photo in it, however.

I've been bothered by the missing photo and have always kept an eye out for it even before the days of the internet. Like others, I'm positive that I have seen it. Now, however, I'm not so sure.

The closest I have come is an article supposedly from the April 26, 1890 Epitaph. Don't know if it's real or has been posted on this thread before, but here it is;

tombstone2.jpg

Of course, knowing how common it was to publish fabricated stories in old papers....

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

I also have a Readers Digest mysteries of the Unexplained. Not in there, either.

There is another readers digest mysteries of something or other book i have/ I'd have to dig it out. I know there is no thunderbird photo in it, however.

I've been bothered by the missing photo and have always kept an eye out for it even before the days of the internet. Like others, I'm positive that I have seen it. Now, however, I'm not so sure.

The closest I have come is an article supposedly from the April 26, 1890 Epitaph. Don't know if it's real or has been posted on this thread before, but here it is;

tombstone2.jpg

Of course, knowing how common it was to publish fabricated stories in old papers....

Great find ImaginaryNumber1, I was unaware of the time-life series. I've looked through some of the older Readers Digest hardcover books and couldn't find it either. There were a fair few though.

I'm pretty sure the epitah column has been discussed previously in this thread with no one being able to find it in their actual records. Apparently they still get calls each day about the article, yet they claim they never ran it.

I've been working through old Nexus magazines as I feel it could be in one of those, but yeah...It's been very hard to pin anything down regarding this. Keep trucking :)

Great find ImaginaryNumber1, I was unaware of the time-life series. I've looked through some of the older Readers Digest hardcover books and couldn't find it either. There were a fair few though.

I'm pretty sure the epitah column has been discussed previously in this thread with no one being able to find it in their actual records. Apparently they still get calls each day about the article, yet they claim they never ran it.

I've been working through old Nexus magazines as I feel it could be in one of those, but yeah...It's been very hard to pin anything down regarding this. Keep trucking :)

One day.

One day.....

tombstone2.jpg

i have the full series of these time life books right here, ill take a look through them all and report back if i find anything.

i have the full series of these time life books right here, ill take a look through them all and report back if i find anything.

If you have the first edition like mine are (i don't actually know if there were any other printings) then I can save you some time. It's not in any of them.