Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thunderbird photo

Murder 101

Maybe I could go into town this Sunday and check out the Museum. I could ask one of the curators about it. Bound to be someone knowing about it (keep in mind, this is in Australia, not America or Europe).

Edit: Anyone know if Murder101 has posted a larger image of his sketch on this thread or anywhere else? it'd be useful to have it if I'm going into town.

I sent you the 2 sketches on your profile, one is lighter than the other. Also I didn't make them, I found them online and they fit exactly what I remember so I use one as my avatar so I can point at it and go "THIS IS WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR" when someone posts a picture of a pterodactyl.lol

I sent you the 2 sketches on your profile, one is lighter than the other. Also I didn't make them, I found them online and they fit exactly what I remember so I use one as my avatar so I can point at it and go "THIS IS WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR" when someone posts a picture of a pterodactyl.lol

Just posted on your profile, should have checked here. Thanks again.

lol

Oh lord skeptic we are both WA and both join one month to the day from each other... o.O

:o wierd. But we can only hope that we are not both living in the Perth Metro area, otherwise this is would be just ultimately coincidental.

Edit: Silly me, I typed number of copies as 21 instead of 2, now I have like 9 copies lying around because I walked away for about a minute to get a drink :\

Edit 2: And that picture of the big black bird with the man in the white tux next to it. Is that just a cutout of a bird shape to show the rough size? Because looking at it it looks too thin.

Edited by Skeptic Chicken

I think the one you;re talking about is just someone showing the shape of whats been reported

I remember seeing the photo Curiousface.97 posted in a book I got from my elementary school library in the mid 90's. I don't remember the name of the book but I do remember it was old, tattered and falling apart. Any chance of a better scan of the picture I haven't seen it anywhere else online.

Nah used to though! now I'm in 'the hills'!

I'm going to have to scour through all the books I inherited from my grandad, It's possible I saw the original photo in one of his books or a nexus.

Nah used to though! now I'm in 'the hills'!

I'm going to have to scour through all the books I inherited from my grandad, It's possible I saw the original photo in one of his books or a nexus.

Your kidding right... Assuming u mean the hills near Perth... I live at the bottom of them. I only said Perth Metro area as in like from the foreshore > hills, but I guess i've overestimated its area.

And to not go off topic. My mum asked what I was doing when I was getting those prints of the sketch, and she recalled seeing it herself, but cant remember where. She did however mention that my brother used to bring books home from our primary schools library about Cryptids, and she thinks that may be where she saw them. May be another place I have to ask around.

But that had to be at least 12-15 years ago. Probably nolonger there.

Edited by Skeptic Chicken

hey I normally keep out of thunderbird threads now as I don't believe the picture exists (or the great number of people who claim to have seen it have)

No its not, there is a big difference between a pterodactyl hanging from a ropes inside a building and a giant BIRD stuck to the front of a barn. Heres a tip to anyone looking for this, if its a pterodactyl, not a bird in the picture, you haven't found it. Also, once again,look at my avatar.

I always thought the original thunderbird photograph was the Arizona one (lizard like) I'm pretty sure this is the one Ivan Sanderson claims to have owned and lost (in the 60's),and what alot of the older reports claim it to looks like (John Keel also claimed it was lizard like in the photo he saw) and the newer claimed thunderbird photo sightings of a more birdlike animal were just due to a larger number of more contemporary reports of thunderbirds looking more bird like (so perceptions of what the photo should look like changed)

Your kidding right... Assuming u mean the hills near Perth... I live at the bottom of them. I only said Perth Metro area as in like from the foreshore > hills, but I guess i've overestimated its area.

Haha no! Mundaring way.

I find it weird that this photo has 100% been seen on the internet before but is impossible to find now =/ I thought there would always be some obscure site somewhere that still has it.

Haha no! Mundaring way.

I find it weird that this photo has 100% been seen on the internet before but is impossible to find now =/ I thought there would always be some obscure site somewhere that still has it.

I agree,

there is no way anyone is going to go to the trouble of removing the image from 'everywhere' what would be the point?

I was pretty sure I'd never seen the image, but then after seeing all the images on here and descriptions, I now think that I may have seen it.... but at the same time I can't think where I would have seen it as I've never been into this kind of stuff until recently.

Doesn't the end of Jeepers Creepers 1 or 2 have a cowboy or cowboys in a barn with the Jeepers Creepers creature pinned up on the barn door? Could be that some of have seen that and the image has become blurred in our mind over time and mixed with other images and description?

I mean if someone described a vague recollection of an old sepia coloured picture of a cowboy sitting on a fence with a massive bull behind him my minds eye could easily put together a vague picture of it in my mind even though I've never seen it. In fact it has whilst I wrote that, the cowboy is on the right of the photo and has a cowboy hat on, the fence he is sitting on is made out of wood poles. The bull is behind the fence to the left of the cowboy and is facing to the right. It's a very muscular bull for the time.

Can your minds eye picture it?

Indeed As soon as I read that I was picturing an old brown pic quite easily!

There's a link on page 26 of this which to me looked exactly what I could remember of the pic, except It's blurrier than the original as you could clearly make out the peoples faces in the one I saw. Apart from that the 6 people are positioned right and the birds on the side of the building behind them...

I was wondering if it was possible for...I know I know but *TPTB* to remove an image completely from the web if it was a genuine photo? I was wondering why they wouldn't with all images of bigfoot etc then, but so many of them look like people or are clearly faked. If it was an original, genuine image would there be any reason not to let the public view it?

Doesn't the end of Jeepers Creepers 1 or 2 have a cowboy or cowboys in a barn with the Jeepers Creepers creature pinned up on the barn door? Could be that some of have seen that and the image has become blurred in our mind over time and mixed with other images and description?

Yes, and that scene might have been a homage to the legend actually. Also there are small towns in the West who try to lure tourists with weird attractions (like the town with the giant ball of yarn for example.) There might have been a hoaxed photo that was displayed in a tourist shop somewhere at some point and the memory got into the minds of travellers.

I did post a pretty out there but still possible theory before as to why someone would go to the trouble to get rid of this photo. Not that I believe it. Though someone wanted to see if it could be done, let's say for arguements sake, an agency such as the CIA.

Face it, this would be pretty useful for an agency like this to see if some piece of history can be removed altogether and eradicate all physical existence of it. All that would exist is in memory or a single piece left stored in the agency. You could easily understand how valuable this could be to them.

Either they did it manually (very unlikely and near impossible) or used some very high tech device (also very unlikely but how else would they do it). Say this device operates like a sniffer dog, they give the victims clothing to get the scent and the dog goes to track it. In this case they could have used a copy of the image and it basically tracked down/detected and removed all physical existence of the image. Though what gets more complicated is that it was suggested to be on the Internet, this would mean it would somehow be able to remove electronic data as well.

The theory is pretty far fetched but I'm playing devils advocate here and putting a suggestion on the table. It's definitely possible, but extremely complicated. People have suggested time travel, mass hysteria. I also explained earlier the power of suggestion as well as the brain itself getting things mixed up. As I will briefly explain.

In this case you see a young child on a trampoline the day before. You think back to the moment and you might remember the child wearing a blue top. You could be right or the child could have been wearing a completely different coloured top. You could be completely adamant about this because in your memory, that's what it is. If you could save your memory to a computer then analyze it, it could be green even though the real colour was blue. Information in your brain can be corrupted just like data on a computer.

This could also be related to this picture, such as different images being meshed together from two very similar photo textures explaining the wide spread cases of seeing this photo and the variations it occurrs in. Some people remember it having a blue tinge, others a brown tinge. It's might just be their brain at fault.

Honestly I think this will always remain a mystery.

I did post a pretty out there but still possible theory before as to why someone would go to the trouble to get rid of this photo. Not that I believe it. Though someone wanted to see if it could be done, let's say for arguements sake, an agency such as the CIA.

Face it, this would be pretty useful for an agency like this to see if some piece of history can be removed altogether and eradicate all physical existence of it. All that would exist is in memory or a single piece left stored in the agency. You could easily understand how valuable this could be to them.

Either they did it manually (very unlikely and near impossible) or used some very high tech device (also very unlikely but how else would they do it). Say this device operates like a sniffer dog, they give the victims clothing to get the scent and the dog goes to track it. In this case they could have used a copy of the image and it basically tracked down/detected and removed all physical existence of the image. Though what gets more complicated is that it was suggested to be on the Internet, this would mean it would somehow be able to remove electronic data as well.

The theory is pretty far fetched but I'm playing devils advocate here and putting a suggestion on the table. It's definitely possible, but extremely complicated. People have suggested time travel, mass hysteria. I also explained earlier the power of suggestion as well as the brain itself getting things mixed up. As I will briefly explain.

In this case you see a young child on a trampoline the day before. You think back to the moment and you might remember the child wearing a blue top. You could be right or the child could have been wearing a completely different coloured top. You could be completely adamant about this because in your memory, that's what it is. If you could save your memory to a computer then analyze it, it could be green even though the real colour was blue. Information in your brain can be corrupted just like data on a computer.

This could also be related to this picture, such as different images being meshed together from two very similar photo textures explaining the wide spread cases of seeing this photo and the variations it occurrs in. Some people remember it having a blue tinge, others a brown tinge. It's might just be their brain at fault.

Honestly I think this will always remain a mystery.

I know memory can be very wrong, I just read a book called 'Into Thin Air' about 1996 ill-fated summit attempt at Everest. He wrote a magazine article about his account of what happened when he got back, and it varied so much from what other people who were there at the same time that he contacted all the survivors and got there accounts and then wrote the book to set the record straight. Also it's a good read.

Another thing, I'm 36 and my younger brothers a 34 and 28. When we meet up sometimes and tell stories of the past we all have different accounts of things that happened to the point all three of us are arguing over some of the 'facts'. So stuff you experience gets sorted by your mind, then a lot of the info you don't need to remember is filtered out by your brain. When you recall it I think your mind just fills in any blanks with best guesses.

I think blaming some government agency like "the CIA" for "removing the picture" is borderline paranoid schizophrenic. Which could actually account for this entire "mystery".

yeah I've never really be able to buy the whole its been missing since the 60's yet it crops up often enough for people to see it and no1 has a copy especially with the internet.

Mass confabulation is my theory and honestly if it is thats something amazing in itself

I think blaming some government agency like "the CIA" for "removing the picture" is borderline paranoid schizophrenic. Which could actually account for this entire "mystery".

Not you making personal attacks again... I simply offered a suggestion and used that example for arguements sake nor did I say I believed the theory at all but simply stated it is possible, which it is. Again, I am playing devils advocate so don't imply I have a mental illness.

I'm offering and explaining a broad range of possibilities to this mystery. I thought I explained my stance on my theories months ago on this very thread to you. Again, I am looking at all types of scenarios to explain the Mystery.

Edited by Orcseeker

I agree with Orcseeker on this, I was wondering myself what motivation people could have to do it and he's presented a perfectly plausible one. To know they can remove something from circulation, then see how many years It takes until no-one recalls anymore would indeed be a valuable piece of knowledge that they can use as a benchmark in the future.

Cynical, It hasn't been missing since the 60's as I saw it in the early 90's. Online or in a book though, that's another story.

Not you making personal attacks again... Again, I am looking at all types of scenarios to explain the Mystery.

Well, if you are truly looking for all types of scenarios to explain this mystery you'll entertain the idea that it could be due to mental illness. Honestly, it is much more plausible an answer than an evil government social experiment involving the removal of every book on the planet that contained the image from people's homes and libraries, republishing copies of those books without the picture, then placing those replacement copies back into every single home and library.

Well, if you are truly looking for all types of scenarios to explain this mystery you'll entertain the idea that it could be due to mental illness. Honestly, it is much more plausible an answer than an evil government social experiment involving the removal of every book on the planet that contained the image from people's homes and libraries, republishing copies of those books without the picture, then placing those replacement copies back into every single home and library.

Hmmm Did you read my post properly?

How can you deem that motive evil?

These books wouldnt exactly be republished. Again I stress how valuable it would be to undergo such a feat of removing something altogether from history.

Instead of discounting something with the sway of a hand claiming I'm mentally Ill how about you think of and see HOW it could be possible. For example, say if I was in the city one day and some crazy man wearing a tinfoil hat told me that our minds were being read by someone. Of course he's insane but let's determine how he could be right.

Lets say there exists a device that can somehow capture human thought remotely and return the data to the device be converting it to some form of energy to be read as information.

Though very highly unlikely, it can still be possible. I stress time and time again how out there the theory is but it's still POSSIBLE. Also you have no right to diagnose me over the Internet, I don't think anyone does, or you're just trolling. You are imply for me to even have thought of the idea is to deem me a paranoid schizophrenic.

I'm not saying I believe it at all but it is still a valid explanation even If the chances are really thin. I offered explanations which I would tend to agree with more and deem them a lot more likely than this one.

For example, say if I was in the city one day and some crazy man wearing a tinfoil hat told me that our minds were being read by someone. Of course he's insane but let's determine how he could be right.

Who in their right mind would bother to concoct theories to support the ramblings of someone they have already deemed as being "insane"?

Who in their right mind would bother to concoct theories to support the ramblings of someone they have already deemed as being "insane"?

That may be true but according to you I'm not sane either so that could explain it.

Though in all seriousness, I believe you must take a view from all prospectives. Largely basing the mans mental condition on his theories but also considering the very, very small chance that what he's saying could be true. Especially given that it could be possible which is what I keep stressing to you.

If anything this PROVES that if we do not carefully catalog photos and valuable articles than even they will vanish in time. I myself have always been facinated by a childhood book I still have stored away somewhere at my grandparents house in which has a report on an attack on a large airliner by one of these supposed huge birds. They recovered massive feathers from the engines after the fact and there were large rents in the wings that were presumably made by the creature's talons. I'll try digging it out. However I want to emphasize that if anyone has any OLD photos or accounts that they should take the time to post them here in a new Antiquities thread or upload them to the internet. It would be a real shame to lose these accounts to time.

Edited by Mr. E.

Though in all seriousness, I believe you must take a view from all prospectives.

Believing in a government conspiracy isn't a viewpoint. It is fantasy. Let's say that the picture in fact existed (which in itself is a stretch based on no evidence) and that it later vanished somehow (an even bigger stretch based on even less evidence). With me so far?

In the end, there is zero evidence pointing towards the government being involved. Not a shred. There insertion into this equation as a solution comes out of nowhere and is based on nothing. It is playing pretend, in place of looking at the actual facts and trying to derive some serious solution.

I suppose that one could sit around dreaming up every conceivable scenario which may account for this mystery, as you seem to be keen on. Maybe it was the aliens. Maybe time travelers. Maybe it was the CIA.

Premature conjecture IMO, because the reality of the situation is... there isn't even proof that the pic existed in the first place, and even those who claim to have seen it can't agree on what it looked like. Which infers that recollection in this case is subjectively manifested. And because I don't want to believe that so many seemingly sincere individuals would knowing lie about having seen the picture, I think it possible that the passing off this staunch assertion to its existence and these accompanying notions blaming the complete lack of supporting evidence to some external boogyman working against them behind the scenes could be due to some form of self-delusion, compounded with a proneness to fantastical and highly suggestive though on the part of the "witnesses".