Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thunderbird photo

Murder 101

While I'm on a book buying spree, does anyone know if the Reader's Digest edition of "Mysteries of the Unexplained" is the correct book? It's in my cart and ready to go if anyone knows for sure. :)

look for Thunderbirds Again and Again, Pursuit: Journal of the Society for the Investigation of the Unexplained, April 1972, by Ivan T Sanderson, he is supposed to have had a copy of the missing pic at one point.

Time life put out a book called Mysteries of the Unexplained or something like that as well as readers digest....also, I was reading another forum, a reader there suggested that it may have been in a Ripleys Believe it or Not book. sorry Im not more helpful tonight, just got home from a long, cold, wet fishing trip where we decided that trout may be a cryptid since we saw so few of em!

A long time ago on some TV special i saw this pic of a supposed thunderbird tacked to the back of a farm building. I've been looking for it for a long time just to take another look and see how real it looks now. Anyone else seen it or know where it is?

Hi Murder 101, I've seen your Thunderbird photo that you have also seen that is tacked to the front of a barn while a bunch of men are standing in front of it. The photo you are looking for can be found in an Old West Magazine; which one I'm not sure, but I know for sure that I have the magazine in storage. Also, in the Old West Magazines you can also find another photo of some men in the Union Army (I think, but they could possibly be in the Confederate Army) out in Arizona standing behind a Gigantic Teradactyl that they shot down that is laying on the ground in front of them, both birds are absolutely huge and their wing spans are probably 20 feet or more.

Keep up the good work my friends.

:)

The Civil War pterosaurs are faked, most of them were done for reenactments or for presentations and television shows. They've been since circulated as true photographs when, in fact, they never were.

The Civil War pterosaurs are faked, most of them were done for reenactments or for presentations and television shows. They've been since circulated as true photographs when, in fact, they never were.

Do you have any place that we can look at that can back up your statements Ebonykrow, of the photograph being fake, or are we just to accept your words.

I've seen a better photograph in the magazine than this one, and most of these people seem to believe the photo herein is real.

http://paranormal.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...HUNDE%257E1.HTM

and then there is this page also...

which is very interesting.

http://paranormal.about.com/od/livingdinos...g_Dinosaurs.htm

Do you have any place that we can look at that can back up your statements Ebonykrow, of the photograph being fake, or are we just to accept your words.

I've seen a better photograph in the magazine than this one, and most of these people seem to believe the photo herein is real.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/lost-t-bd-photo/

…to the confusing “Mystery Civil War Pterodactyl” photo (directly below), in fact produced for the year 2000’s fictional program, “Freaky Links.”

linked-image

Edit: You're welcome.

Edited by Ebonykrow

I believe the entire idea has been debunked many times in these forums.

Don't have to debunk the photo because there hasn't been any pterosaurs since oh...220 - 65.5 million years ago. Source

Now, I believe the picture we are discussing is real but not the content.

HN

I believe the entire idea has been debunked many times in these forums.

Don't have to debunk the photo because there hasn't been any pterosaurs since oh...220 - 65.5 million years ago. Source

Now, I believe the picture we are discussing is real but not the content.

HN

I beat you to the punch this time. :P!!!

I beat you to the punch this time. :P!!!

:tu:

As long as one of us responds!!!

The other is sure to follow!

HN

Has anyone tried looking using other names of giant birds, such as the Roc?

The story of the roc is found in numerous places, and has parallels in many more for example, Anka of Arabia, the Simurgh of Persia, the Garuda of India, to the Phoenix and even the Thunderbird of Native American legend.

This is going to be slightly off topic, but because it excited me I gotta share.

So coming back from the movies I catch a glimpse of this amazing cloud formation--that looks exactly like a giant bird, no double take needed. Before I could get the camera out it deteriorated slightly, but I don't think it needs a huge amount of imagination to see. (Might even see two or three birds in the same formation.) There was another larger cloud that also looked like a bird, but it had worn away before I could get a decent picture of it. They looked like they were chasing each other. :lol:

linked-image

A true thunderbird! Maybe it isn't a coincidence at all that it's storming at this very moment.

If cloud formations like this (of course, one not so badly deteriorated) were often see by Native Americans, and were proceeded by storms, it doesn't seem to awfully hard to believe. (The beating of a thunderbird's wings were said to cause thunder, and many of them were often proceeded by storms.)

Edited by Ebonykrow

This is going to be slightly off topic, but because it excited me I gotta share.

So coming back from the movies I catch a glimpse of this amazing cloud formation--that looks exactly like a giant bird, no double take needed. Before I could get the camera out it deteriorated slightly, but I don't think it needs a huge amount of imagination to see.

linked-image

A true thunderbird! Maybe it isn't a coincidence at all that it's storming at this very moment.

If cloud formations like this (of course, one not so badly deteriorated) were often see by Native Americans, and were proceeded by storms, it doesn't seem to awfully hard to believe. (The beating of a thunderbird's wings were said to cause thunder, and many of them were often proceeded by storms.)

:) Nice pic! I can see the bird!

Careful or others will find the fairies and tree spirits.

:P

HN

Boy, that was fast. :lol:!

Ha, I worried about that for a second, but decided to go with it anyway. :innocent:

(I actually see two feasible birds flying in opposite directions. Beautiful formation. It was also a lovely sky, but since we were driving I couldn't get a very good photo of it.)

linked-image

Am I the only one who can't see anything? :hmm:

Careful or others will find the fairies and tree spirits.

linked-image

Well, no need to be like that. You may offend many people with a statement like that: especially if there are any Native American readers/users here.

Edited by Sir_Quack_The_Wack

Nah, the one thats being looked for is in my avatar. We're looking for a real pic of a big bird on a barn. Good find tho

Sorry for the late reply, but that photo I posted is a real photo.

Not the one you are looking for, but that doesn't mean the picture I posted is not real. It looks very real to me, well, more real than that Civil War one that keeps getting posted a million times with the obviously photoshopped grain and film blotches(still pictures don't have film blotches, it is only motion pictures that have those). And, that Civil War one is obviously taken digitally, not with genuine film like the one I posted. The one I posted has the right foreground and background differentiation and perspective that film does. The Civil War one has too much of a rich background, and is too 2D in perspective, like all digital photographs(this is why I still prefer using 35mm film to take photos and Super 8 for travel movies; film is just that much more richer).

Edited by Sir_Quack_The_Wack

Am I the only one who can't see anything? :hmm:

Well, no need to be like that. You may offend many people with a statement like that: especially if there are any Native American readers/users here.

How about this, then? I did the second bird in yellow, the one in red was the one I initially wanted photographed.

linked-image

That was made to poke fun at Starchy. :P No harm meant--I think we're all friends here.

Edit: HOLY CRAP JPG totally ruined that picture.

Edited by Ebonykrow

Not the one you are looking for, but that doesn't mean the picture I posted is not real. It looks very real to me, well, more real than that Civil War one that keeps getting posted a million times with the obviously photoshopped grain and film blotches(still pictures don't have film blotches, it is only motion pictures that have those). And, that Civil War one is obviously taken digitally, not with genuine film like the one I posted. The one I posted has the right foreground and background differentiation and perspective that film does. The Civil War one has too much of a rich background, and is too 2D in perspective, like all digital photographs(this is why I still prefer using 35mm film to take photos and Super 8 for travel movies; film is just that much more richer).

Oh I know the one you posted looks real, I was just pointing out that my avatar is a sketch of the exact picture I'm looking for. :)

This article covers the picture you posted by the way http://www.truewestmagazine.com/stories/to...onster/769/all/

Im looking for an article written by the guys that took the pic you posted, it was staged for a mysteries show I believe.

Awsome pic Eb! Mind if I use it as a background for my MP3 player?

Also, this forum http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.p...36540&st=20 has another drawing of a thunderbird photo, I believe this is a drawing of the pic used by Freaky Links

Edited by MirrorImage

Go for it MI. :lol: I'd be honored!

linked-image

Strange Magazine's issue 21 has an article dedicated to the Thunderbird missing photo.

Unfortunately it costs $5US. Hopefully its got a good bit of information about it. They say you can have a digital copy of it.

Anyone willing to make a sacrifice to shed more light on the whereabouts of this photo?

That's still not the missing photo. :P (I don't even think the image displayed on the magazine cover is an actual photograph, and is probably related to the other Civil War era recreations, fakes, and manipulations.)

Look at Murder's avatar for a sketch of the actual missing photograph.

Im pretty sure the one on the mag cover is the one that the show Freaky Links re-created, which also seems to have went missing from the net as near as I can tell.

Im pretty sure the one on the mag cover is the one that the show Freaky Links re-created, which also seems to have went missing from the net as near as I can tell.

I don't know that FL did any more, but I know that they did this one:

linked-image

But I wouldn't be surprised if the magazine cover's picture is a FL production, it seems fitting.

↑↑↑↑↑ Up there - awesome pic Ebony!