Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

True Blood on HBO

Sho_Sho

I have been reading the Sookie Stackhouse book series for years now, and literally just found out that the new show on HBO True Blood is based off the books. I have really never been into vampires and werewolf books, but a friend got me hooked on this series.

Has anyone else read any of these books? If so, have you seen the HBO series True Blood?

I was thinking about buying the boxed set, I don’t have HBO, but would like to watch to see if it’s any good. I love the books, and I'm hoping that the show has stayed true to the books.

Anyone who is familiar with these books, and has seen the show, do you think it’s worth buying the box set to watch or should I just save my money? Also do you know when the next season will start again? If I do get the box set and like it I might get HBO while the series is on.

I am kind of worried that putting a face to the characters, based off the T.V show may ruin reading the books for me. I have already built an image in my head over the years of reading and I’m afraid I might be disappointed in the show.

Can Anna Paquin be any hotter? I submit that she cannot.

Loved the books, and I really enjoyed the first season of the series. :)

I am not an Anna Paquin fan, but she's doing okay as Sookie. The rest of the cast is very well done, though! They've followed the books pretty faithfully, and I'm excited for season 2 to begin on June 14th! I googled "true blood episodes" and got a few hits to sites that have the episodes for free download. You might want to watch one online and see if it piques your interest before spending any money!

Good luck and let me know what you think!

Loved the books, and I really enjoyed the first season of the series. :)

I am not an Anna Paquin fan, but she's doing okay as Sookie. The rest of the cast is very well done, though! They've followed the books pretty faithfully, and I'm excited for season 2 to begin on June 14th! I googled "true blood episodes" and got a few hits to sites that have the episodes for free download. You might want to watch one online and see if it piques your interest before spending any money!

Good luck and let me know what you think!

Thanks, I took a look and it looks great! Im not a huge Anna Paquin fan, I was a little annoyed by her in the X men movies. But it looked pretty good! I think Im going to go get the box set.

I cant wait for the next book to come out!

Can Anna Paquin be any hotter? I submit that she cannot.

LOL, I must say I love her as a blond! She I didn’t even realize that was her until I read your post. I had to go back and look again. She is a cutie. Not what I pictured Sookie to look like, but I’m sure I'll get use to it.

I actually like the tv series better than the books.

I like the show despite myself, it is dirty sexy and the laguage-sheesh I am not old enought to hear it! But I like the story and will probably wacht next season unless I find the book and can keep up with the story minus the dirty parts... are the books very raunchy like the show?

Yes. The books have alot of sex, so be warned! :) Also, the gore-factor is pretty high, which puts some people off.

there any site or place u can watch the whole first season? just when i was gonna start watching that. my mom took the cable off grr

Yes. The books have alot of sex, so be warned! :) Also, the gore-factor is pretty high, which puts some people off.

You know, I didn’t really think there were that many sex scenes in the books. But maybe that’s because I’ve been reading the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. Now Those books have so much sex in it, it gets boring after awhile. Have you ever read those books? It’s very similar to the Sookie Stackhouse books but a million times dirtier.

There is talk about making a movie or T.V show about theses books too.

Love this show, my wife made me watch it one night and i can't get enough...... the characters are the best... :tu:

You know, I didn’t really think there were that many sex scenes in the books. But maybe that’s because I’ve been reading the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. Now Those books have so much sex in it, it gets boring after awhile. Have you ever read those books? It’s very similar to the Sookie Stackhouse books but a million times dirtier.

There is talk about making a movie or T.V show about theses books too.

Seriously, the amount of sex in the Anita Blake books gets ho-hum after a while! You're absolutely right! :lol: I do enjoy the premise of the books, though -- still among my favorites!

Have you read Kim Harrison's novels? Vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, fae and more!! After most of humanity dies, the others all "come out" to mankind. Main character is Rachel Morgan, and they are called The Hollows series. Very funny, very well-written.

I actually like the tv series better than the books.

I agree with Eric here Sho Sho.

If you have HBO you may be able to search up the series thru HBO.

I watched the whole thing that way and I really loved the show :)

I would assume there is a way to watch it online too. Let me go do a search really quickly to see if I can come up with a linky poo.

There are a ton of links to watch full episodes.

PM me if you have issues and I will help :)

Edited by She-ra

There are a ton of links to watch full episodes.

PM me if you have issues and I will help :)

Cool Thanks, I went on the HBO site and saw a lot of clips.

Seriously, the amount of sex in the Anita Blake books gets ho-hum after a while! You're absolutely right! :lol: I do enjoy the premise of the books, though -- still among my favorites!

Have you read Kim Harrison's novels? Vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, fae and more!! After most of humanity dies, the others all "come out" to mankind. Main character is Rachel Morgan, and they are called The Hollows series. Very funny, very well-written.

No, I haven’t heard of this series of books. I will for sure check it out! It sounds good. I have never been into this genre of books before, but after reading Anita Blake it kind of got me hooked. Im going to go look it up now. Thanks :)

Generally I like very classic vampire movies/stories (Nosferatu, Bela Lugosi as Dracula, etc...), none of the newer stuff, say post 1980's, however, True Blood is simply amazing. I haven't got the chance to read the books, but I will soon. I just acquired the bluray set of the first season.

didnt think there were many people out here that liked True blood :D

Gotta say i love it, havent finished watching the first season yet *makes note to go home and finish it*

Generally I like very classic vampire movies/stories (Nosferatu, Bela Lugosi as Dracula, etc...), none of the newer stuff, say post 1980's, however, True Blood is simply amazing. I haven't got the chance to read the books, but I will soon. I just acquired the bluray set of the first season.

I do think you will enjoy the books. Once I started reading them, I had to go out and ge the next book, I was so cought up in the series. Ive read them all and I cant wait for the next one to come out.

Okay, I saw the show over the weekend finally, and I LOVED IT!

Its almost 100% true to the book. The first season matches up with the 1st book, I wonder if they are going to make the 2nd season match up to the 2nd book and so forth? I can’t wait until they get into the characters of Quinn, and Alcide, and the rest of were-animals.

There are still tons of characters that are yet to be introduced, I hope they keep going along with the rest of the book series, does anyone know what the 2nd season is suppose to be like?

I watched the whole series on tvshack.net but I think it's been taken down already.

Absolutely loved it!!!! I went out and bought the first book after finishing the first seasonBut Sho Sho, I don't agree it almost 100% like the book. Sookie's brother and lafayette weren't even main characters in the the book. Also, Tara and the maenad weren't even introduced until the second book. There was no mention on how vampire blood can be an addicting drug (least I don't think, can't remember) so that whole segment of sookie's brother and his new girlfriend didn't even happened in the book. No mention of Bubba in the tv series.

Sorry I'm not trying to pick apart the tv series, but it was very different from the book. I just can't believe they could stretch 12 episodes to cover just one book!!! that's amazing. The tv series still rocked regardless. I'm going to buy my own copy on Amazon soon. I don't know how many sookie stackhouse books exist, but isn't it around 7 novels? wow.... i hope there's seven seasons of true blood.

I just finished book 3, now I need to find book 4!

Love this show, my wife made me watch it one night and i can't get enough...... the characters are the best... :tu:

all I can say is they better not kill off lafayette....he is so funny..

I do think you will enjoy the books. Once I started reading them, I had to go out and ge the next book, I was so cought up in the series. Ive read them all and I cant wait for the next one to come out.

I think I will too, I tried to get them off of my girlfriend but shes waiting to read them in order with the series...

does anyone know what the 2nd season is suppose to be like?

Alan Ball said that the seasons would correspond with the books with a few slight changes, and season two is supposed to be about Bill and Sookie going to Dallas or something where theres a vampire hunter group? I don't know, thats what I read, so I guess they are leaving Bon Temps.

But, theres less then a week for season 2!

No, I haven’t heard of this series of books. I will for sure check it out! It sounds good. I have never been into this genre of books before, but after reading Anita Blake it kind of got me hooked. Im going to go look it up now. Thanks :)

I LOVE vampire/werewolf books. The thing I love about the Trueblood books (Sookie Stackhouse) is that in addition to being a "supernatural" Sookie is so normal. Anyone who's ever done restaurant work can visualize her work routine EXACTLY. So you have this character who's having a wild, passionate relationship with a vampire and then a little while later is worrying because one of the beer kegs at the restaurant is close to empty and pumping out too much foam. It forces the supernatural stuff into the real world.

Here's the beginning of the next Sookie novel Charlaine Harris has in the works, "Dead and Gone":

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Caucasian vampires should never wear white,” the television announcer intoned. “We’ve been secretly filming Devon Dawn, who’s been a vampire only for a decade, as she gets dressed for a night on the town. Look at that outfit! It’s all wrong for her!”

“What was she thinking?” said an acidic female voice. “Talk about stuck in the nineties! Look at that blouse, if that’s what you call it. Her skin just cries out for contrasting color, and what is she putting on? Ivory! It makes her skin look like a Hefty bag.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's just... classic. Slightly like Buffy the Vampire Slayer with reality and the supernatural mixed so completely together. It's also funny like Buffy. Charlaine Harris has a great website at http://www.charlaineharris.com .

Season 2 of Trueblood is supposed to be based on (figures) book 2 of the series, which is "Living Dead in Dallas". In the books Sookie has a series of relationships, kind of like a regular person dating. I've heard that HBO is going to change things so that Sookie and Bill are a stable couple. Has anyone else heard this? It's hard to picture a version of "Dead in Dallas" with that big of a change.

all I can say is they better not kill off lafayette....he is so funny..

Hopefully Lafayette will "turn".