Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

John titor - opinions as for June 2009

jordiver

Hello all. I'm a complete newbie on this forum and this is my first post; it looks like an interesting community and I'm looking forward to being a part of it.

I know the whole Titor thing happened years ago, but it still interests me. My problem with John Titor's allegations lie not as much with the pure science end of it (although of course that's hugely important), but with a couple of other things he said that don't make sense.

For example, on one hand Titor claimed that in 2036 there are 5 US Presidents representing 5 regions of the country (which goes absolutely against the US Constitution that he suggested everyone get a copy of and read) and there's no longer a centralized government or income tax. On the other hand, Titor claimed that a "high-speed train system connects the larger cities." Really? Without income taxation, how does this modern marvel get built? Who builds it? Who works on it? Who pays for it? Is it a private enterprise? If so, it directly contradicts other things Titor said about post-WWIII America in 2036, which based on what he said appears to be a largely agrarian and somewhat communistic society made up of tiny communities that are insular and self-sufficient.

John Titor also compared medicine in 2036 to "what you see in Western movies" and said there is "no real organized health care. If you get a serious disease, you die." WTF? 2036 America has a 19th century healthcare system but also has cutting edge computer technology and the kind of scientific research and development that made time travel possible? I repeat: WTF?

Leaving aside everything else he said, those things alone made me write off "John Titor." Fun read, though.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• OldTimeRadio

• Ins0mniac

• jordiver

Even if it was a hoax...which it most likely was it's still hugely impressive and arguably the greatest internet hoax of all time and potentially one of the greatest hoaxes in general of all time purely for the fact that there's been numerous investigations and researches done into it and that we're still debating wether or not it's possibly true almost ten years later.

How about Shirley Maclaine's promise of space aliens revealing themselves in 1999? Shirley sure kept quiet about her New Age nonsense after that. Man, all these phony prophets, seers and cash from chaos, they sure pop up like ripe pimples.

You wanna know somthing weird. The fallout 3 plotline seems to resemble John Titors prediction... Hmm maybe the creator of fallout is JOHN TITOR!!!

If you dont know what fallout 3 is google it.

Edited by JiMbob32292

You wanna know somthing weird. The fallout 3 plotline seems to resemble John Titors prediction... Hmm maybe the creator of fallout is JOHN TITOR!!!

If you dont know what fallout 3 is google it.

Fallout originally was released in 1997 though. Before Titor, so he probably nicked bit from that instead.

I am saying that using MWI to claim that Titor's claims cannot be dismissed is pseudo-scientific because unless there is evidence of this being the case then we can dismiss it. Meaning no assumptions are made by writing of demonstrably false claims.

But by that reasoning NO prophecy or prediction can EVER fail!

"France did indeed sink under the sea on April 1, 2009, exactly as I revealed well in advance. But the events didn't transpire here but on some other parallel world."

Sounds like there could be a lot of money in the "Predict the future incorrectly then blame it on alternate time-lines" game.

It's exactly pseudo-science.

No, the "many world's" interpretation of Quantum Physics is not pseudo-science. It's noted in very highly regarded scientific journals.

Is it that hard to understand "Cannot be ruled out" does not equal "I believe this"?

It really annoys me how some people have this "on" "off" is true, is false idea without being able to comprehend the idea of "inconclusive".

I'm just saying John Titor cannot be disproven. Just not disproven this particular way. And that doesn't nesesarily make it true. It seems like a pretty simple concept to grasp form my end... *SHAKES HEAD*

This "cannot be proven" must equal false is the very epitome of closed mindedness. I'm not asking anyone to believe anything. But assuming something is false due to lack of evidence is just as ignorant as assuming something's true.

Edited by Ins0mniac

No, the "many world's" interpretation of Quantum Physics is not pseudo-science. It's noted in very highly regarded scientific journals.

Is it that hard to understand "Cannot be ruled out" does not equal "I believe this"?

It really annoys me how some people have this "on" "off" is true, is false idea without being able to comprehend the idea of "inconclusive".

I'm just saying John Titor cannot be disproven. Just not disproven this particular way. And that doesn't nesesarily make it true. It seems like a pretty simple concept to grasp form my end... *SHAKES HEAD*

This "cannot be proven" must equal false is the very epitome of closed mindedness. I'm not asking anyone to believe anything. But assuming something is false due to lack of evidence is just as ignorant as assuming something's true.

No using it to try and support predictions that never happened is seriously bad pseudo-science.

No it is normal scientific practice to assume something is not true when there is no evidence it is very much can be dismissed. It doesn't not need to be disproven, ever, zero evidence = dismissable. It is pseudo-scientific not to.

*shakes head at lack of scientific understanding and using seriously weak unevidenced arguments*

No using it to try and support predictions that never happened is seriously bad pseudo-science.

No it is normal scientific practice to assume something is not true when there is no evidence it is very much can be dismissed. It doesn't not need to be disproven, ever, zero evidence = dismissable. It is pseudo-scientific not to.

*shakes head at lack of scientific understanding and using seriously weak unevidenced arguments*

I don't agree with Matt all that often (sorry, Matt!) but he is right on the mark here.

I'm just saying John Titor cannot be disproven.

Yes, I agree with you. Titor's claims cannot be disproven thanks to the handy trick you highlighed in a previous post. Failed predictions coming true in some hypothetical place where we can't get to is equivalent to claims of cryptids existing on an astral plane. They're convenient excuses and very much beyond our current means of falsification.

Titor could've even said (and maybe has, I haven't read his stuff much) that since he has now revealed these future events, he has altered the timeline and it's possible that the events will never come to be. And he'd be right either way.

Conclusion: Hoaxing is fun!

I don't agree with Matt all that often (sorry, Matt!) but he is right on the mark here.

It is ok mate! It would be no fun if we all agreed.

On/Off True/False. Just like he said....

Failed predictions coming true in some hypothetical place where we can't get to is equivalent to claims of cryptids existing on an astral plane. They're convenient excuses and very much beyond our current means of falsification.

While I very much agree with you regarding Titor, I'm considerably less in agreememt regarding cryptids.

If there are hundreds or even thousands of detailed sightings of Five-Nosed Zoogs, including many from trained naturalists, it is by no means illogical to at least speculate that that beastie may indeed enjoy some level of objective reality.

But if we can further establish that there is simply no room for a breeding population of Zoogs to exist in the areas where they are seen, or in fact anywhere else on the surface of our planet, it has to be eventually suggested that they must come from someplace else.

My own guesstimate here is that they may be native to some sort of "Goblin World" which lies hard up against our own workaday reality.

Edited by OldTimeRadio

Probably John Titor is a real person, except that he is not a time traveller and he might be a severe schizophrenic living in parents' basement and drives a beat-up station wagon.

Why do these mooks always have to come from the future? How about something original like:

Hey! I just stumbled onto this site and it says it's from 2009! That can't be right. My calendar says 1999. Wow! computers must be really fast since mine can't deal with the over load of flash programing.

So, I'm hearing a lot about the Y2K thing that will be happening in a few months. Any of you future people have any advice for me? Will everything be destroyed and rebuilt by your time? Will the nukes go off all over the world, or will it be limited to just a few areas around the planet? Please let me know what I should prepare myself and my family for.

Now that would be entertaining.

:rolleyes:

Why do these mooks always have to come from the future? How about something original like:

Hey! I just stumbled onto this site and it says it's from 2009! That can't be right. My calendar says 1999. Wow! computers must be really fast since mine can't deal with the over load of flash programing.

So, I'm hearing a lot about the Y2K thing that will be happening in a few months. Any of you future people have any advice for me? Will everything be destroyed and rebuilt by your time? Will the nukes go off all over the world, or will it be limited to just a few areas around the planet? Please let me know what I should prepare myself and my family for.

Now that would be entertaining.

:rolleyes:

Didn't we have a couple of those not too long ago? Some chuckle head from 18XX saying he had some how ended up in his future? (Now.) Then he proceded to post a couple of pics from a magazine?

*snerk*

I think we ate him alive.

HN

Yes, I agree with you. Titor's claims cannot be disproven thanks to the handy trick you highlighed in a previous post. Failed predictions coming true in some hypothetical place where we can't get to is equivalent to claims of cryptids existing on an astral plane. They're convenient excuses and very much beyond our current means of falsification.

Titor could've even said (and maybe has, I haven't read his stuff much) that since he has now revealed these future events, he has altered the timeline and it's possible that the events will never come to be. And he'd be right either way.

Conclusion: Hoaxing is fun!

He probably did say that somewhere, but to be honest I stopped reading after a few pages, it was giving me a headache

I thought it was called the multiverse theory? the theory that in reality there are an infinite number of alternate realities that account for every decision and outcome that could be made or could come to pass.

Its not crackpot thinking, its one of the deeper mysteries behind quantum mechanics, and unless people have at least a basic understanding of the subject, it wouldn't be wise to attempt to tell people there's no chance of the theory being real.

But hey if you've got the entire subject worked out then please enlighten us with the factual physics behind the subject.

Quantum physics is a tricky endeavour, and whether dudes come from the past and future or not, you can guarantee that what people are calling impossible now, will be standard practice in primary education in several hundred years time.

I'm pretty sure there weren't 747's in the 12 century? yet if the physics behind aerodynamics and gravity are so simple to learn today from a college lecturer, why couldn't they work it out 800 years ago?

The answer: Human evolution.

As our brains evolve, we become more capable of realising and deciphering physics that are currently beyond us.

Such a simple solution that so many people overlook. Put simply, we lack the necessary network of synapses to comprehend some things.

Sorry if I come across sounding so dense, but are we saying that there can be no lies or falsehoods, because any lie or falsehood told here is bound to be a truth someplace else?

In that case I want to sell you Hoover Dam, because there must be a Hoover Dam up for sale somewhere in the Multiverse.

The multiverse theory only works in the sense that for every decision taken there is a univers in which the oposite decision is taken. I don't think it can be used to prove or disprove Titor.

On the other hand, if you follow some other train of thought, as soon as you travel in time and commit any action within the time period you travel to, you will already have changed history (theory often used in sci-fi movies, latests example Star Trek :P ). So who is to say, that Titor with his writings did not change the past and now we go into a future totally different than the one he knows? Just a thought.

For the record, I still think Titor is a great hoax :D

he reminds of that lady who said aliens were coming in October last year

Kiss mine Dumbwis! That has not a GD thing to do with it and that was true. I am one of them. :lol:

Edited by greggK

I'm just saying John Titor cannot be disproven.

Neither, at least not for a very long time, can my belief that the deep interior of Jupiter is inhabited by dwarfishes.

And if we ever get to the inteior of Jupiter and my creatures aren't there, they can then be postulated to some parallel world or to some other solar system.

Neither, at least not for a very long time, can my belief that the deep interior of Jupiter is inhabited by dwarfishes.

And if we ever get to the inteior of Jupiter and my creatures aren't there, they can then be postulated to some parallel world or to some other solar system.

Dammit man, I thought it was Kentish Pixies living on Jupiter ;) ...... yet another shattered dream :lol:

Hi, i dont know if this is the good place for this post, just couldnt fit it anywhere else. If you need to move it to another forum please feel free and again, sorry for the error.

Well, ive been lately reading about this guy's story and ive gone through all the emails he wrote just to be sure i have an opinion on it based in all the things he wrote. I know this may have been discussed over and over again but id like some of your actual opinions, based on the time from when this was written to this date June 2009 and how believable his story/ideas are to you.

As for myself, at first i thought it was just bull from someone wanting to make mess up everyones head, but after some reading on his comments i must admit im open to think it might be true. Of course, there is no way to prove it and ive always been a huge terminator fan and have read some interesting scientific articles about the subject. My higher concerns are on the multiple-world theory and as a scientist way of thinking i do think i just cannot say NO to such theory which has been theorised alot in the last 50 years.

Although some of his "prophecies" about mad cow desease and world war's are not as important nowadays as he said, again the multiple-world theory can always assume our timeline is not exactly his, so trying to demonstrate his fake by this is a long-never-ending discussion.

Most of what he says back in 2000-2001 (not the details but the general background idea) is something im feeling its happening in the world nowadays, such as overpopulation, nuclear war expectations and the upcoming events on the arabic world.

Right now i cant say yes or no that easily so i would like some of your opinions in order to get a clear picture in case im missing some information about the case.

So, opinions??

This was very interesting.

Time travel is impossible because time is not real. It's just an agreed upon system that we use to mark bits and pieces in life. So anyone who claims to be able to time travel is lying.

I've got a reliable alien source that states time travel is impossible. And these guys are 25,000 years in advance of us.

-Josh

This was very interesting.

Time travel is impossible because time is not real. It's just an agreed upon system that we use to mark bits and pieces in life. So anyone who claims to be able to time travel is lying.

I've got a reliable alien source that states time travel is impossible. And these guys are 25,000 years in advance of us.

-Josh

Hi Josh, you said that you got a reliable alien source...

Where did you get it?

Also, what did you mean by "these guys are 25,000 years in advance of us"?

Did you refer "these guys" to aliens? Have you already met them?

I'm just curious...