Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do dinosaurs still exist ?

UM-Bot

What was that I heard about the Japanese cloning a T-rex?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• ninjadude

• KRS-One

• Cookes453

Perhaps I should've used a different form of punctuation, but that's besides the point. Putting your mockery aside, let me enlighten you. I said, "Dinosaur type sea creatures". I probably should've written it like this: 'Dinosaur' type sea creatures. What I meant by that sentence is the following: There could be dinosaur type sea creatures living in the ocean. Dinosaur is a broad term, and was meant to describe sea creatures. The word dinosaur doesn't necessarily have to refer to only land based creatures. I suppose it was too much for me to ask that one would understand what I meant by the word dinosaur in quotations.

According to Webster’s dictionary, and definitions do vary, Dinosaur: any of various extinct, mostly land-dwelling, four-limbed saurischian or ornithischian reptiles of the Mesozoic Era, including some c. 30 m (98.4 ft) long: the flesh-eaters usually walked on their hind limbs, the plant-eaters on all fours.

Keyword here, MOSTLY. This means it includes sea-dwelling creatures as well, and even air-dwelling creatures.

Now that I've explained myself, hopefully you've been enlightened, and my sincere apologies for this simple misunderstanding of sentence structure and word usage.

Actually dinosaur is a rather specific definition referring to a specific group of animals. Marine reptiles are not dinosaurs and they still are air breathers (you know like the only extant members the sea turtles). Deep sea is a completely unsuitable habitat for them (you having to breathe air an all), some basic marine ecology and some dinosaur physiology make the deep sea claim complete ridiculous. It is no more realistic than claiming that if cats disappeared that they became deep sea dwellers. A dictionary is not the place to get zoological definitions.

There are NO known marine dinosaurs.

Dinosaur.

Edited by Mattshark

Actually dinosaur is a rather specific definition referring to a specific group of animals. Marine reptiles are not dinosaurs and they still are air breathers (you know like the only extant members the sea turtles). Deep sea is a completely unsuitable habitat for them (you having to breathe air an all), some basic marine ecology and some dinosaur physiology make the deep sea claim complete ridiculous. It is no more realistic than claiming that if cats disappeared that they became deep sea dwellers. A dictionary is not the place to get zoological definitions.

Dinosaur.

This is my last post on the subject.

Specific definition or not, it can still apply to all forms of creatures, land, sea, and air.

What you're trying to prove is completely irrelevant. A dictionary is a perfect place to get a zoological definition, because it's in the dictionary, and that's what a dictionary is for. Do I honestly have to visit a public library, and take out 50 credible sources and prove to you what I say? I'd rather not waste my time, but since you are apparently eager on believing what you say, then perhaps I will.

"The term "dinosaur" was coined in 1842 by Sir Richard Owen and derives from Greek δεινός (deinos) "terrible, powerful, wondrous" + σαῦρος (sauros) "lizard". It is sometimes used informally to describe other prehistoric reptiles, such as the pelycosaur Dimetrodon, the winged pterosaurs, and the aquatic ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs and mosasaurs, although none of these animals were dinosaurs. " It is sometimes used informally to describe non land based = This is what I tried to explain in my other post. Everyone knows what a dinosaur is, which is why I used the term. Why complicate things? Speak to everyone at a 5th grade level, and you will always get your point across, perhaps I should start doing that more, afterall the military does it, and it's been working for decades.

There are some people in this world who just can't admit that they may be wrong, and I think we've found a couple of them in this thread. I'm not going to spend anymore time debating this stupidity, I've said my peace. So you live in your stupidity, and I'll live in mine, afterall ignorance is bliss isn't it? =)

Edited by Cookes453

Dinosaur.

MattShark, yeah I know Gustave is a crocodile which are supposed to be DIRECT descendants of Dinosaurs. Some researchers actually believe them to be dinosaurs.

Here's the point though, Gustave is HUGE. A direct descendant of dinosaurs....and huge...sounds like....um....dinosaur!

This is my last post on the subject.

Specific definition or not, it can still apply to all forms of creatures, land, sea, and air.

What you're trying to prove is completely irrelevant. A dictionary is a perfect place to get a zoological definition, because it's in the dictionary, and that's what a dictionary is for. Do I honestly have to visit a public library, and take out 50 credible sources and prove to you what I say? I'd rather not waste my time, but since you are apparently eager on believing what you say, then perhaps I will.

"The term "dinosaur" was coined in 1842 by Sir Richard Owen and derives from Greek δεινός (deinos) "terrible, powerful, wondrous" + σαῦρος (sauros) "lizard". It is sometimes used informally to describe other prehistoric reptiles, such as the pelycosaur Dimetrodon, the winged pterosaurs, and the aquatic ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs and mosasaurs, although none of these animals were dinosaurs. " It is sometimes used informally to describe non land based = This is what I tried to explain in my other post. Everyone knows what a dinosaur is, which is why I used the term. Why complicate things? Speak to everyone at a 5th grade level, and you will always get your point across, perhaps I should start doing that more, afterall the military does it, and it's been working for decades.

There are some people in this world who just can't admit that they may be wrong, and I think we've found a couple of them in this thread. I'm not going to spend anymore time debating this stupidity, I've said my peace. So you live in your stupidity, and I'll live in mine, afterall ignorance is bliss isn't it? =)

Not while being correct it can't, it is erroneous to use it for pterosaurs and marine reptiles.

You do not use dictionary definitions for scientific terms because they are notoriously inaccurate with science and you would not use them at university level or above.

You think being accurate is complicating things? No wonder you think air breathing animals that need to breed on the surface or on land can survive in deep sea environments.

Ignorance is the main cause for most of the rubbish on the planet. But god help that you might learn things.

MattShark, yeah I know Gustave is a crocodile which are supposed to be DIRECT descendants of Dinosaurs. Some researchers actually believe them to be dinosaurs.

Here's the point though, Gustave is HUGE. A direct descendant of dinosaurs....and huge...sounds like....um....dinosaur!

Nope, birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs. Crocodiles and dinosaurs share a common ancestor. Birds are not considered dinosaurs by 99% of the scientific community because they are different enough to be distinctly different. Not a dinosaur. You are wrong, it is a crocodile.

linked-image

Ref: Benton MJ, Clark JM (1988) Archosaur phylogeny and the relationships of the Crocodylia. In: Benton MJ (ed) The phylogeny and classification of the tetrapods, vol 1. Amphibians, reptiles, birds. Clarendon Press, Oxford, pp 295–338

Edited by Mattshark

If human life went from a single cell formed by chance to monkeys to what we are now in the past 65 million years (or so says Darwin) if dinosaurs were still around I would assume they too would have gone through dramatic changes. So I wouldn’t take anything from dinosaur characteristics and expect to see them in the so-called monsters we see today. “No, he doesn’t come up for air therefore he can’t be a blah-blah-blah…” It’s been a long time and no one knows what kind of change they could have gone through to survive. Do I personally believe they could still be around? No, but I welcome the possibility. And until we search at least 70% of the bottom of the deepest ocean trenches I’ll remain optimistic. As for now, visiting the deep oceans is like traveling a highway through the US at night and claim to know all about the country’s scenery, monuments, etc, etc. While all we saw was a dark road, signs and some roadkill.

It can be proved that they do not exist because plaeontologists failed to do so what was bfore 65million yeras ago

Thanks

B???

• 2 years later...

of course sharks and crocodile and am sure undiscovered animals in deepsea

Perhaps commenting in a more current topic would yield better results.;)

Welcome to the forum, King. Keep an eye on the dates of the threads you respond to. Necroposting is not inherently wrong, but it is bad nettiquete.