Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"You can't be a scientist and be religious"

Queen in the North

Well, I don't have much of an opinion on it, so i'll just quote what a member on another board said.

Psychology is not an accepted science. Science needs empirical verification as a primary determinant factor, and psychology lacks this at this time. They are still at the level of explaining observed behavior by means of different schools of thought. However, with the sophistication we are gaining in brain scans and brain chemistry, it may not be long before we begin seeing psychology in a more scientific light. I'm not personnaly holding my breath, I see it as important,but I still think it has a ways to go.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Psychedelic

• MARAB0D

• Beckys_Mom

• Lt_Ripley

Well, I don't have much of an opinion on it, so i'll just quote what a member on another board said.

.What is Psychology?

• Psychology: the science of the mind
  • How do psychologists study the mind?
  • Human behaviour: the raw data of psychology
  • Psychology and other disciplines
  • Branches of psychology

Psychology: the science of the mind

Psychology is the science of the mind. The human mind is the most complex machine on Earth. It is the source of all thought and behaviour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/articles/psychology/what_is_psychology.shtml

Psychology is the science[1] of mind and behavior.[2] Its immediate goal is to understand behavior and mental processes by researching and establishing both general principles and specific cases.[3] For many practitioners, one goal of applied psychology is to benefit society.[4][5] In this field, a professional practitioner or researcher is called a psychologist, and can be classified as a social scientist, behavioral scientist, or cognitive scientist. Psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior, while also exploring the physiological and neurobiological processes that underlie certain functions and behaviors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology

So is it really?

hmmm tough to call...on one hand you have a quote from some guy in a thread and in the other I present you with...well need I say more?

...in the words of famous scientist Albert Einstein "I can show you god".

He too believed in the supernatural as part of his radical approachs to scientific research of physics, cosmology and the universe being too complex for the rest of us. He said about being not a fundamentalist, but an agnostic with a strong sense of a deity or natural spiritual force is in charge of our universe.

Einstein was born Jewish to parents whom left traditional Judaism and during Nazi times in Germany, Einstein fled to the United States and he deeply opposed not only Hitler and the Nazis, he was a pacifist in his strong opposition to the worst kind of human nature to solve political conflicts.

But Einstein was involved in the development of the A-bomb in contrast to his ideas of pacifism, however he believed in the existence of god but unconventionally and the kindness of humans we all possessed.

Edited by Makoto Jupiter

He too believed in the supernatural as part of his radical approachs to scientific research of physics, cosmology and the universe being too complex for the rest of us. He said about being not a fundamentalist, but an agnostic with a strong sense of a deity or natural spiritual force is in charge of our universe.

Einstein was born Jewish to parents whom left traditional Judaism and during Nazi times in Germany, Einstein fled to the United States and he deeply opposed not only Hitler and the Nazis, he was a pacifist in his strong opposition to the worst kind of human nature to solve political conflicts.

But Einstein was involved in the development of the A-bomb in contrast to his ideas of pacifism, however he believed in the existence of god but unconventionally and the kindness of humans we all possessed.

You should, you know, maybe research Einsteins beliefs actually--Before proclaiming them for him....

you do know that jews and christians also believe in magic or should, since the old testiment said to kill all witches.

I know Christians believe magick is evil unless your talking about Christian mystics. And as far as the old OT goes we know that was a mistranslation. Not that I care what they do or don't believe.

Edited by norwood1026

To claim anything as fact one must first make a claim then stand by it then defend it with what is known and what is not. To go and offer humanity the claim of what is not known and claim that as truth is a crime in itself because it leads to corruption of truth. This can only lead to a self serving system such as religion no matter the flavor.

Please present the quote and source thanks

.What is Psychology?

So is it really?

hmmm tough to call...on one hand you have a quote from some guy in a thread and in the other I present you with...well need I say more?

Psychology cant measure the mind because mental experience is subjective.

Ask 2 people what type of red the wall paper is and you might get 2 differant answers.

My point was that what we call reality is just our mind

Psychology cant measure the mind because mental experience is subjective.

Ask 2 people what type of red the wall paper is and you might get 2 differant answers.

My point was that what we call reality is just our mind

Soo... you are right...and the many sites that say likewise are ..just so wrong??

Sigh... *shakes head*

lol :rolleyes:

Edited by Beckys_Mom

So i just returned from that church thing. Absolute waste of my time, the woman said nothing interesting or new at all. She basically said "As a scientist, if you have doubts, question your doubts and work through them." AKA "Subvert any doubts"