Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Betelgeuse is shrinking

MirrorImage

Pinned prominently on Orion's shoulder, the bright red star Betelgeuse hardly seems like a wallflower. But a new study suggests the giant star has been shrinking for more than a decade.

Betelgeuse is nearing the end of its life as a red supergiant.The bright, bloated star is 15 to 20 times more massive than the sun. If it were placed at the centre of the solar system, the star would extend out to the orbit of Jupiter.

linked-imageRead more...

I wonder if we shout beetle juice beetle juice beetle juice at it, would it start to grow again :innocent:

Really interesting tho, I wonder how long it will take to figure out if its going to explode or not.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greggK

• danielost

• Picturesque Orion

• Lt_Ripley

http://chattahbox.com/science/2009/06/10/r...e-to-supernova/

Since Betelgeuse is 600 light-years away it may have already exploded, and it’s just a matter of time before we witness the colorful supernova explosion.

Ohh, I cant wait till we know for sure, I want to see the pictures.

The universe is expanding because matter is shrinking.

Still a debatable topic

Thanks

B???

I had always that Betelguese was a star that expanded and contracting in that way. Isn't this just part of the contraction phase?

What I find exiting is that Betelgeuse is only 600 light years from Earth. When it does go supernova it will become extraordinarily bright, prehaps even outshining the sun. This would be the first time in recorded history that a star already visible to the naked eye has gone supernova.

It would not outshine the sun, not by a long shot. It might outshine the moon though whenever it finally goes.

The universe is expanding because matter is shrinking.

I'm gonna give that a big NO. And even if it were true, it would have NOTHING to do with the observed change in Betelgeuse.

I'm gonna give that a big NO. And even if it were true, it would have NOTHING to do with the observed change in Betelgeuse.

The big B is shrinking! They say the universe is expanding . . .

But they say the sun will expand in a couple of billion years and engulf us.

And they also say that in about 3 or 4 billion years, maybe we'll collide with Venus or Mercury will collide with Venus or some bright idea like that.

But, right now we know that the big B is shrinking. You know, my brother used to dress up at Halloween in a grisly costume and lay in a casket and when children came by for candy. . . he'd jump out with his bag of candy . . . we used to have fun. He died a couple of years ago. He would call HIS name Betelgeuse. Man, I love Betelgeuse!

Edited by greggK

i don't know if betelgeuse expands and shrinks normally.

But from what I understand when a star is about to go supernova it starts shrinking. which increases heat/radiation production and at some point pufe(spch) it goes super nova. A star lives for a long time the bigger the star the less time it has. However the super nova stage takes less than an hour (earth hour).

Edited by danielost

I can't wait any longer...

Someone has to come up with the idea that Betelgeuze will go supernova... on December 21, 2012.

No, wait, it will be a big bright star, shining in the heavens above at the time of Jesus return.

Yeah..

:rolleyes:

Edited by Abramelin

I can't wait any longer...

Someone has to come up with the idea that Betelgeuze will go supernova... on December 21, 2012.

No, wait, it will be a big bright star, shining in the heavens above at the time of Jesus return.

Yeah..

:rolleyes:

lol, I thought it had nothing to do with 2012 and, supernovas exploding in a blueish hue, this would therefore have be the Hopi Blue Star prophecy... :w00t:

But joking aside, it would be neat to see from here. Hopefully there are no planets inhabited with billions in the vicinity that get wiped out by this big Mofo of a star going pop...

lol, I thought it had nothing to do with 2012 and, supernovas exploding in a blueish hue, this would therefore have be the Hopi Blue Star prophecy... :w00t:

But joking aside, it would be neat to see from here. Hopefully there are no planets inhabited with billions in the vicinity that get wiped out by this big Mofo of a star going pop...

or they've had time to get out

Just think about it. That is all you have to do.

linked-image

Imagine how large the sun is. They say Betelgeuse is much much larger. It takes 8 minutes for a photon to travel from the sun to the earth. How many Astronomical Units are in a Light Year? It takes light 8.32 minutes to go 93 million miles (an Astronomical Unit). A Light Year is 5,880,000,000,000 miles. Betelgeuse is 600 light years from earth. That's 3,528,000,000,000,000,000 miles from earth. Divide 3,528 Trillion by 93 Million and I guess that might be the time it took for the light from Betelgeuse to reach earth in minutes.

The article said that Betelgeuse has shrunk 15% in 15 years. And they say that it will supernova. Yes, something has already happened and that is definitely a species wipe out event. Oh, sure for some I guess the skies will be lit up in spectacular fashion like God's 4th of July. But, the wave does not stop. Those wonderful fireworks are gigantically huge metallic boulders headed right toward ya and they are not stopping.

But, now bring in reality. There are 'winds' in space caused by things like the sun and even Betelgeuse and the explosion of that kind of star would probably obliterate any material or debris and you end up with:

linked-image

That is comet Holmes. Somebody was watching the sky and thought they saw something new. It was a comet that was larger than our sun. But, the thing about the comet is . . . there is nothing in it. It is a big bright ball of nothing. They had already discovered comet Holmes and they knew nothing was in it, but it got to a place in the universe that caused it to grow in size so much.

I say Betlegeuse has already supernova'd and the wave of energy overtook comet Holmes and caused a recurrence of the expansion of the main star; the memory of the universe.

Just think about it. That is all you have to do.

linked-image

Imagine how large the sun is. They say Betelgeuse is much much larger. It takes 8 minutes for a photon to travel from the sun to the earth. How many Astronomical Units are in a Light Year? It takes light 8.32 minutes to go 93 million miles (an Astronomical Unit). A Light Year is 5,880,000,000,000 miles. Betelgeuse is 600 light years from earth. That's 3,528,000,000,000,000,000 miles from earth. Divide 3,528 Trillion by 93 Million and I guess that might be the time it took for the light from Betelgeuse to reach earth in minutes.

The article said that Betelgeuse has shrunk 15% in 15 years. And they say that it will supernova. Yes, something has already happened and that is definitely a species wipe out event. Oh, sure for some I guess the skies will be lit up in spectacular fashion like God's 4th of July. But, the wave does not stop. Those wonderful fireworks are gigantically huge metallic boulders headed right toward ya and they are not stopping.

But, now bring in reality. There are 'winds' in space caused by things like the sun and even Betelgeuse and the explosion of that kind of star would probably obliterate any material or debris and you end up with:

linked-image

That is comet Holmes. Somebody was watching the sky and thought they saw something new. It was a comet that was larger than our sun. But, the thing about the comet is . . . there is nothing in it. It is a big bright ball of nothing. They had already discovered comet Holmes and they knew nothing was in it, but it got to a place in the universe that caused it to grow in size so much.

I say Betlegeuse has already supernova'd and the wave of energy overtook comet Holmes and caused a recurrence of the expansion of the main star; the memory of the universe.

1 the comet would only appear to be larger than the sun.

2 any energy wave would probable be traveling slower than the speed of light.

all these worlds are yours

except Europa

attempt no landing there

use them together

use them in peace

for some reason this quote popped into my head lol

Still a debatable topic

Thanks

B???

up until now I still not accept the theory that universe is expanding . the theory is based on the planet and star are moving away . to me this is not enough . my logic is based on when a planet circle a sun , due to gravity , sometime they come near the sun and sometime they moving away from star .

unless we can reach center of the universe and the edge of universe and do the comparison , by then we can know for sure if the universe truly expanding .

laugh if you like, but I'm very stubborn .

we may see it during our life time. with my luck it will be the day right after I kick the bucket. Kinda like nothing goes wrong with your car until the day after the warranty expires. ^_^

the Universe is still expanding and the 'center' ? is relative to where you are standing in the universe. good luck trying to find one.

except Europa

attempt no landing there

use them together

use them in peace

mine too actually !

1 the comet would only appear to be larger than the sun.

2 any energy wave would probable be traveling slower than the speed of light.

Is that all you can think of?

Yeah, well, it wasn't larger but it was close . . .

The comet did not only become brighter, it also swelled in size, as its coma expanded. In late October 2007 the coma's apparent diameter increased from 3.3 arcminutes to over 13 arcminutes[9], about half the diameter that the Moon subtends in the sky. At a distance of around 2 AU, this means that the true diameter of the coma had swelled to over 1 million km[10], or about 70% of the diameter of the Sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17P/Holmes

Think about the comet (the coma), it was big moving mass of nothing that was in our solar system and it only passed through here 1 time in the past in 1892 and it was not that big. Something caused it to swell, what was it?

Was that NIBIRU?

Edited by greggK

The big B is shrinking! They say the universe is expanding . . .

But they say the sun will expand in a couple of billion years and engulf us.

And they also say that in about 3 or 4 billion years, maybe we'll collide with Venus or Mercury will collide with Venus or some bright idea like that.

Well then I guess we're all screwed huh?!? ^_^

except Europa

attempt no landing there

use them together

use them in peace

Is that from the Enki Tablets?

I wonder if Betelgeuse is moving?

This is another picture of that comet:

linked-image

Thinkin' about this stuff just makes my head swim and makes me spacy!

Feel like a Blonde chick! :D

Edited by greggK

Is that all you can think of?

Yeah, well, it wasn't larger but it was close . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17P/Holmes

Think about the comet (the coma), it was big moving mass of nothing that was in our solar system and it only passed through here 1 time in the past in 1892 and it was not that big. Something caused it to swell, what was it?

Was that NIBIRU?

???????????????????????????????????? take a class.