Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Betelgeuse is shrinking

MirrorImage

Is that all you can think of?

Yeah, well, it wasn't larger but it was close . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17P/Holmes

Think about the comet (the coma), it was big moving mass of nothing that was in our solar system and it only passed through here 1 time in the past in 1892 and it was not that big. Something caused it to swell, what was it?

Was that NIBIRU?

The coma is caused by heating from the sun. Thus if it is bigger this time then it is getting more heat from the sun. If the coma is larger than the sun this time then it was probable close to the size of the sun last time. when a comet is beyond the orbit of jupiter? it has no coma it is just a rock.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greggK

• danielost

• Picturesque Orion

• Lt_Ripley

The big B is shrinking! They say the universe is expanding . . .

But they say the sun will expand in a couple of billion years and engulf us.

And they also say that in about 3 or 4 billion years, maybe we'll collide with Venus or Mercury will collide with Venus or some bright idea like that.

But, right now we know that the big B is shrinking. You know, my brother used to dress up at Halloween in a grisly costume and lay in a casket and when children came by for candy. . . he'd jump out with his bag of candy . . . we used to have fun. He died a couple of years ago. He would call HIS name Betelgeuse. Man, I love Betelgeuse!

Do you even KNOW the life phases of a Star? Please inform yourself before making such bogus opinions, it's disturbing. I'm not even going to take the time to correct you (it's a shame because you have no idea what you're talking about), so I hope someone else does or inform yourself because you are way off the ignorance limit!

Just think about it. That is all you have to do.

Imagine how large the sun is. They say Betelgeuse is much much larger. It takes 8 minutes for a photon to travel from the sun to the earth. How many Astronomical Units are in a Light Year? It takes light 8.32 minutes to go 93 million miles (an Astronomical Unit). A Light Year is 5,880,000,000,000 miles. Betelgeuse is 600 light years from earth. That's 3,528,000,000,000,000,000 miles from earth. Divide 3,528 Trillion by 93 Million and I guess that might be the time it took for the light from Betelgeuse to reach earth in minutes.

The article said that Betelgeuse has shrunk 15% in 15 years. And they say that it will supernova. Yes, something has already happened and that is definitely a species wipe out event. Oh, sure for some I guess the skies will be lit up in spectacular fashion like God's 4th of July. But, the wave does not stop. Those wonderful fireworks are gigantically huge metallic boulders headed right toward ya and they are not stopping.

But, now bring in reality. There are 'winds' in space caused by things like the sun and even Betelgeuse and the explosion of that kind of star would probably obliterate any material or debris and you end up with:

That is comet Holmes. Somebody was watching the sky and thought they saw something new. It was a comet that was larger than our sun. But, the thing about the comet is . . . there is nothing in it. It is a big bright ball of nothing. They had already discovered comet Holmes and they knew nothing was in it, but it got to a place in the universe that caused it to grow in size so much.

I say Betlegeuse has already supernova'd and the wave of energy overtook comet Holmes and caused a recurrence of the expansion of the main star; the memory of the universe.

A species wipe out event? You've got to be kidding me, you dont even know how a star behaves, I just can't take you seriously.

With the distance from Sol and Betelgeuse, there will be no such thing as a " species wipe out event". Sorry if I'm being rude, but ignorance just works my nerve. I'm not gonna take the time to correct you, you should do that yourself ( I advise you to do it), but I am going to tell you something: If you're going to make an opinion, please base it on actual facts, otherwise everything you say will be bogus and terribly wrong. And that's what's happening here.

And please stop speculating about random things which have no factual base and which are very much offtopic, such as Nibiru.

Sorry for the hard words, really.

Alex01

Edited by Alex01

A species wipe out event? You've got to be kidding me, you dont even know how a star behaves, I just can't take you seriously.

With the distance from Sol and Betelgeuse, there will be no such thing as a " species wipe out event". Sorry if I'm being rude, but ignorance just works my nerve. I'm not gonna take the time to correct you, you should do that yourself ( I advise you to do it), but I am going to tell you something: If you're going to make an opinion, please base it on actual facts, otherwise everything you say will be bogus and terribly wrong. And that's what's happening here.

And please stop speculating about random things which have no factual base and which are very much offtopic, such as Nibiru.

Alex01

I don't think he was talking about earth species dieing. He was talking about life around betelgeuse.

i hope Australia can see it at night, we never get to see the good ****

If it does go Nova. will we see it?

If it does go Nova. will we see it?

yes, 600 years after it takes place.

I may have missed it, did they give a projected time as to when it would explode?

It's against the law for them to disclose that information. They tried to do that with the return of Jesus Christ and they were way off. Anyway, this Jesus told us to just watch. Because only the Father knows. Besides, something that far away could explode and we'll never know it because it could be the other side exploded.

I may have missed it, did they give a projected time as to when it would explode?

Tomorrow for sure or maybe the next day.

Alex01

I can't take you seriously until you get over yourself.

-----

Back on topic, this is very intriguing! Cannot wait to learn more.

yes, 600 years after it takes place.

thanks mate. i don't think i'll be around. :no: i'll have to set the recorder.

thanks mate. i don't think i'll be around. :no: i'll have to set the recorder.

you understand it could have eploded 599 years 11 months and 30 days ago.

you understand it could have eploded 599 years 11 months and 30 days ago.

oh well that's better. you say it "could have" is there any definite way to find out?

oh well that's better. you say it "could have" is there any definite way to find out?

Nope. We have to wait and see.

Fortunately, as I understand it, the explosion would be so massive it would be visible for a few weeks - so there isn't much chance of missing it.

It's against the law for them to disclose that information. They tried to do that with the return of Jesus Christ and they were way off. Anyway, this Jesus told us to just watch. Because only the Father knows. Besides, something that far away could explode and we'll never know it because it could be the other side exploded.

What other side exploded? Please elaborate your theory.

The coma is caused by heating from the sun. Thus if it is bigger this time then it is getting more heat from the sun.

That's great! Another global warming thing!

What other side exploded? Please elaborate your theory.

QUOTE (greggK @ Jun 13 2009, 03:04 PM) *

I don't know that you can call that any more than just a personal hypothesis available for all to trample, but I can try to climb out of the hole I'm in. Unless, there's more you've heard more on that other side thing. Then that would be great.

it could just be closer this time

Nothing to do with global warming. The orbit of a Comet usually takes them to the cold and dark outermost reaches of the solar system to close passesof the Sun. When comets venture into the more intense sunlight of the inner solar system, the ices on the comet nucleus begin to melt and fall away. The wake of particles forms the comet's tail, which can be hundreds of miles long and can often be seen from Earth.

Some originate from the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt, beyond Neptune, and some from the Oort cloud, a spherical shell comprised of millions of bodies at the edge of our solar system.