Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orangutan attempts to hunt fish with spear

Karlis

It is the first time one has been seen using a tool to hunt.

The extraordinary image, a world exclusive, was taken in Borneo on the island of Kaja, where apes are rehabilitated into the wild after being rescued from zoos, private homes or even butchers' shops.

linked-imageRead more...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• danielost

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Karlis

Hunting fish with spears? That's mere mechanical work. Some work as librarians.

Orangutans are said to be a bit more brainy than monkeys.....so a spear hunting ???Just facinating

Thankyou for sharing this Karlis

Thanks

B???

I wonder if he managed to spear one :D

Good article Karlis....thank you.

Dammit to hell I have been preaching this for freaking years! I've seen documentaries and read about primates using sticks to probe into termite mounds and trees, using human-like "flushing" hunting techniques on *other primates* then eating them, wild primates that hang out at a lake with humans and help wash clothes and dishes *with soap* in exchange for fish, and a few that have even been taught martial arts!

I for one welcome our new hairy, knuckle-dragging, super-strength overlords.

Hunting fish with spears? That's mere mechanical work. Some work as librarians.

Ha! I love it. I remember I laughed so hard when I first read about the librarian.

I refuse to believe any of this until our in house expert Mattshark, better known as one half of the duo, of itchy and scratchy. confirms it.

Psyche101 post a pic of an orangutan spear fishing, to prove some point of his, about a month ago.

Huh... Oh. The article is dated April 09 so I guess that meshes.

I wonder if he managed to spear one :D

Good article Karlis....thank you.

They said he was able to spear one in a net.

I thought baboons with clubs were used to help the equivilant of the police in ancient eygpt. So using weapons is not limited to orangutans

This thing seems a bit fishy to me (sorry for the bad pun lol), where did it get such a straigth spear? I am not saying that the picture is faked, and not saying orangutans arent smart... but most likely its a tame orangutan that have been tought to do this, and not a wild one that learned it by itself.

Edit: And the article does state its a rehabilitated orangutan, so has problebly learned it from humans somewhere.

Edited by mutationman

The article does state that the orangutan observed humans spear fishing, then tried to mimic it. Unfortunately, it seems that accurately thrusting a spear is yet to come.

Reminds me of that article about the wild dolphin that was brought to a sea park for rehabilitation, and upon it's release, was observed waterwalking.

The article does state that the orangutan observed humans spear fishing, then tried to mimic it. Unfortunately, it seems that accurately thrusting a spear is yet to come.

Reminds me of that article about the wild dolphin that was brought to a sea park for rehabilitation, and upon it's release, was observed waterwalking.

question who on here can spear a fish. I can't

Dammit to hell I have been preaching this for freaking years! I've seen documentaries and read about primates using sticks to probe into termite mounds and trees, using human-like "flushing" hunting techniques on *other primates* then eating them, wild primates that hang out at a lake with humans and help wash clothes and dishes *with soap* in exchange for fish, and a few that have even been taught martial arts!

I for one welcome our new hairy, knuckle-dragging, super-strength overlords.

That is good! This means we will not need robots to do all of our lower level work for us in the future, thus removing the threat of a robot apocalypse. Now all we have to worry about is a planet of the apes scenario. :P

question who on here can spear a fish. I can't

It takes some skill. And it helps to understand the concept of refraction. But I think the primary problem was the lack of fine motor control to keep the spear straight while thrusting. The orangutan was more swatting the water with the pole than actually spear fishing. He did a lot better with the non-moving targets.

It takes some skill. And it helps to understand the concept of refraction. But I think the primary problem was the lack of fine motor control to keep the spear straight while thrusting. The orangutan was more swatting the water with the pole than actually spear fishing. He did a lot better with the non-moving targets.

The article said that he was able to spear a fish in a net.

Like I said, he was able to do a lot better with a non-moving target.

first you have to learn how to use a spear then you have to learn how to spear a fish. we know how to use a spear not because we have used one but because we have seen them in use or told how to use it.

Probably. Not sure where you're going with this...

just that in a couple of years he will probable be as good a fisherman as any humans he has watched

Maybe. I'm still not sure if the orangutan is physically capable of thrusting a spear. It may take more motor control than it has available.

Although fascinating, I don't think the Orangutan would have behaved this way if he/she hadn't seen a human doing it. As the old saying goes: "Monkey see, monkey do."

If anything seeing this squirrel in action just to get a peanut is more amazing.