Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extinct animals could be brought back to life

Karlis

The idea of resurrecting extinct animals moved a step closer to reality last year when scientists announced that they had decoded almost all of the genome of the woolly mammoth, from 60,000-year-old remains found frozen in Siberia.Now New Scientist magazine has named the 10 other beasts most likely to rise again, including the Irish elk deer whose antlers measured 12 feet across, the dodo and Neanderthal man.

linked-imageRead more...

Animals that died out thousands of years ago could be recreated using genetic information retrieved from well-preserved specimens recovered from permafrost, dark caves or dry desserts.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moon Minion

• WoIverine

• Lady Amethyst

• MysteryMike

Im not sure if I like the idea or not. I have jurrasic park flashbacks and get paranoid...then again that could be because I watched that movie back in my wild youth and that tea I drank before hand was a bit off...

The idea is very interesting and I would love to see how they were.

I like how they just slipped Neanderthal in there as an aside, thinking maybe nobody would notice. Yeah, bringing Neanderthal back to life shouldn't cause a stir with anybody, heh. But I for one welcome our new Saurian Overlords.

I've in favor of recreating animals from the past. As long as we only make males and sterilize them before they can mate. The animals of the past should stay there.

well. if Humans want to be the architects of their own demise then bringing back extinct creatures is one way of going about it.

I personally wouldn't care if extinct populations were brought back. Nature doesn't have any rules with what animals can or can't do. If humans bring back dead animals, nature won't care. Whether or not it's a good idea depends on the species and where it's being held.

Well I've always heard about such a thing and that thing would be "Some things are better left extinct"

People are always saying that. Plus these animals (Not Dinosaurs, creatures of the Cenozoic) would still be around if Humans didn't kill them. So how can we think they shouldn't be brought back if it was humans who were responsible. That doesn't seem fair.

But if they are ever cloned. We can put them on islands to live on and they wouldn't be able to get off. So there there wouldn't be any nature problems.

There is however one creature I think would be okay to bring back. That is the Glyptodon. It wouldn't cause environment or nature problesm and wouldn't eat every plant, plus it seems gentle. That is one of the few creatures I think is okay to be brought back to life. But others like Short Faced Bear. I'm not sure if that should be brough back. *shrudders*

I say they should just bring plant eating prehistoric animals back to life.

Meat Eaters may act different and be more dangerous if brought back to life.

Edited by MysteryMike

Oh yeah! thats what I need a new pet Tyro guarding my back yard gate.YIKES!" NO THANKS".

You know some idiot in a research facilty somewhere will create a clone of a smilodon, dire wolf or hyaenodon and then simply get too close to it.

Once they have brought back the Neanderthals, I believe they will be put in cages in the zoo with a sign saying "Caveman exhibition! Only once in 30000 years!"

Mammoths would be nice as I hear they were quite tasty. Imagine the size of a Mammoth Ribeye.

Seriously though, I think this is a terrible idea. We can barely support the animals we have now and you know sooner or later there will be escapes.

Edited by jbondo

Modern man wipes out modern man after cloning dinosaurs and neanderthals. Dinosaurs and neanderthals re-inherit the earth. *shocked* Scary thought, eh? :o Life as we know it could actually be a temporal causality loop. :o:o:o:o:o

Edited by SpIdErCyDe

Try to be optimistic :) Having dinosaurs running around comes from Jurassic Park movies and that isn't likely to happen. If it does then wow! A secure island is going to be too small for migrating sauropods and T-Rex had never met them so... What fascinated me with this idea is studying creatures like wooly rhino that could help us learn about the past. This may even help wild animals on the endangered list today.

Edited by Lady Amethyst

Try to be optimistic :) Having dinosaurs running around comes from Jurassic Park movies and that isn't likely to happen. If it does then wow! A secure island is going to be too small for migrating sauropods and T-Rex had never met them so... What fascinated me with this idea is studying creatures like wooly rhino that could help us learn about the past. This may even help wild animals on the endangered list today.

If they bring back dino's they better be locked away on an Island!!!! Throw away the key! *Shivers at the thought of t-rex standing outside her bedroom window*

It's an interesting concept, but how would we know how to deal with them? Do we know what to expect? Like someone already said, we're having a hard time supporting the animals we've already got, let's go bring back bigger hungrier beasts...

Edited by Moon Minion

*Shivers at the thought of t-rex standing outside her bedroom window*

Just close your curtains and put some loud music on. Or throw out some leftovers from dinner. Make sure the dog isn't outside.

It's an interesting concept, but how would we know how to deal with them? Do we know what to expect? Like someone already said, we're having a hard time supporting the animals we've already got, let's go bring back bigger hungrier beasts...

I'm sure scientists have thought this over.

That goes hand in hand with "what could possibly go wrong?" lol :o

This was the first image that popped into my head while reading the article:

linked-image

Epic, but terrifying!

Just close your curtains and put some loud music on. Or throw out some leftovers from dinner. Make sure the dog isn't outside.

LOL Loud music is the last thing I would do, oh and definitely don't hide on the toilet. But have a large scrap of meat handy, hmmm *strokes chin* though if I could somehow harness the t-rex as my pet...

But it will be different to actually be confronted by this situation out of theory...

LOL Loud music is the last thing I would do, oh and definitely don't hide on the toilet. But have a large scrap of meat handy, hmmm *strokes chin* though if I could somehow harness the t-rex as my pet...

But it will be different to actually be confronted by this situation out of theory...

Seriously though, I'm sure that T-Rex's wouldn't be allowed to roam the suburbs. It would be like one T-Rex in a secluded place that was studied very carfeully behind big walls with machine guns attached. Blimey I don't think it would go that far either!

Edited by Lady Amethyst

Seriously though, I'm sure that T-Rex's wouldn't be allowed to roam the suburbs. It would be like one T-Rex in a secluded place that was studied very carfeully behind big walls with machine guns attached. Blimey I don't think it would go that far either!

Aww but what about T-rex? Sure it's a vicious monster but gosh, I life like that? The species I wouldn't mind seeing coming back would be the ones that are extinct because of us in the first place...that would be cool. :)

Mammoths would be nice as I hear they were quite tasty. Imagine the size of a Mammoth Ribeye.

Seriously though, I think this is a terrible idea. We can barely support the animals we have now and you know sooner or later there will be escapes.

Jbondo -- you mean like "Planet of the Apes" and Jurassic Park" scenarios, maybe? Hhmmm. That said, if you read the whole article, all this is still in the theoretical stage and taking theory into practice is still possibly a decade or more into the possible future on this. :)

Karlis

If they bring back dino's they better be locked away on an Island!!!! Throw away the key! *Shivers at the thought of t-rex standing outside her bedroom window*

Think how McDonalds et al would love such meaty beasty on their menu. :P

Karlis

Think how McDonalds et al would love such meaty beasty on their menu. :P

Karlis

Hey as long as we're the ones eating them, not the other way around I'm cool... :)