Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ufo seen over stonehenge

At shortly after midnight on 18 April, Mark and Clair Coolidge of Manchester, England were driving past Stonehenge - Britain’s most famous ancient structure - when they witnessed a strange aerial object hovering over the stones.

“Me and my wife were down there for a holiday and were staying in Glastonbury and had a day out driving around the area. We ate out and were returning back to Glastonbury when we saw this thing over Stonehenge,” said 31-year-old Coolidge, a carpenter.

“At first I thought it had to be a dark cloud even though it was low and odd shaped, but when I slowed the car and looked closer it was a huge triangle-shaped aircraft, just hanging there about thirty or forty feet above the stones. It was massive, huge; I would say two hundred feet long, completely black and had a sort of buzz or hum noise to it.”

Coolidge’s wife, Clair, 28, also saw the unidentified object and said that it seemed to sway slightly in the air like a boat on the water. “We didn’t know what to do and Mark just slowed the car down and stopped and we just looked at it. It was like a giant hang-glider and had this buzzing noise but no lights or engine noises like a plane would.”

She added: “I thought it would hit the stones but was just hovering there like a bird. It was a bit scary but mainly we couldn’t believe we were seeing it; like we were in shock.”

The pair watched for about three minutes until the huge object turned silently and slowly and headed in the direction of the heart of Salisbury Plain, an area utilized heavily by the British military for maneuvers and exercises.

“I think it was a secret; a government secret,” says Mark Coolidge. “The way it sort of swayed made me think it was a large air balloon and not a heavy, metal aircraft. But it was very weird but exciting too. I think maybe the Army have it as a secret weapon and they used Stonehenge as a reference point to test-fly it over.”

Coolidge was skeptical of the idea that he and his wife might have had an alien encounter. “I don’t normally think about things like that,” he said, “and why would aliens be flying over Stonehenge at midnight? I think it was a good time to test-fly something late at night over the Plain without it being seen, except by us who were there really by accident.”

Clair Coolidge added: “It was a bit like that Stealth plane the Americans fly but much bigger. It was exciting but scary. I hope I could see it again. My friends think I’m mad!”

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MiserableMan

• NightMoon

• vampgirl

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

30 - 40 ft is barely the height of a house, as anyone who's ever driven past StoneHenge knows that road is a main road and is constantly busy, alot of people would have witnessed such a large sighting, especially since Stone Henge is situated at a vantage point.

They'd probably had too much wine.

I've heard about other UFO's being seen at Stonehenge before, this isn't the first time ohmy.gif Stonehenge is very mysterious and not just a roadway monument, it was there far longer than the road itself. Roads around Stonehenge isn't always busy.

It is a main duel carriageway, Im pretty sure the motor way is visable from it aswell,

it is always busy

Are you referring to the A344 road? It's possible there was a number of other witnesses too.

I don't know what the road name is but I recall as I approached it it was visable from distance and from a very congested road.