Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts of Norfolk

AliceCoopersGirl

Hickling Broad.

Ayoung girl met up with a soldier who was on leave.

Both had been childhood friends and decided to go skating to catch up with each other.Friendship turned to love as they kept on meeting at Swim Coots. wub.gif

He would beat his drum and whistle as he skated to meet his love.

On 24th February 1814 the young girl waited for her lover,she heard his drum beating and him whistling.

All of a sudden she heard a loud crack of ice and her lovers whistling stop.He had fallen through the ice,never to surface.

The story goes,as dusk falls in February you can hear and see him skating to meet his lover.Still beating his drum and whistling. whistling2.gifscared.gif

I do have more to add,when I've got more time.

Cheers Freddy thumbsup.gif xx

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AliceCoopersGirl

• Agent_21

• Cufflink

• Angelfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a story I posted a while back, Freddy, and it involves the personal experience of writer Charles Sampson.

In July 1929, Sampson and several friends were on a fishing trip on Breydon Water, Norfolk. It was a warm, clear night, when they suddenly became aware of an approaching noise. The sound was of several thousand voices cheering and shouting. And the night, although dark and clear, was lit by a strange phosphorescence.

The noise increased, and then they saw the incredible spectacle of scores of large, luminescent sailing ships crowded with sailors. Sampson and his friends described the ships as holding thousands of men, who were shouting and singing, and generally of high spirits. All the ships carried bright lanterns, and the sails bore emblems of the sun.

The ghostly fleet continued on it's way up the Waveney river, in the direction of Burgh castle, and as the last ship passed from view, the luminescence died down, and all was darkness again.

Sampson felt that the ships were fifth or sixth century, and Teutonic in nature. Apparently, around AD 450, two Saxon Chieftans actually arrived in that part of the country.

Cheers Cuffy,there is another story about ghost ships somewhere in Norfolk.These ones were/are viking or roman(I cant remember,sorry).When I find it I will post it here.

I should really stop immediately assuming that when ever someone says "Norfolk" they mean Norfolk, VA.

**shrugs** oh well. Interesting stories neways.

Keep em coming thumbsup.gif

Oops,sorry Angelfish.My fault blush.gif I got to remember to put England.

Great Melton.

Four bridesmaids were killed when their coach ran off the road into a pond on the side of the road.It was bringing them home from the wedding party.Everyone drowned.

It was said to be the coachmans fault as he had been drinking.

Legend has it that if you see a coach speeding down the road and everyone is headless,you are in for some bad luck!! huh.gif

Shipdham.

A young maid was sent home in disgrace after having sexual leasions with the master of the house.

She never made it home,her body was found in a small pond nearby.

The maids ghost can be seen sometimes, clutching her belongings and an eerie mist hangs over the pond.

I should really stop immediately assuming that when ever someone says "Norfolk" they mean Norfolk, VA.

I've done that in reverse. disgust.gif

Legend has it that if you see a coach speeding down the road and everyone is headless,you are in for some bad luck!!

Creepy! If you see their faces, however, all is well. thumbsup.gif

Norfolk does seem to have loads of ghosts - some particularly ghastly specimens too. Do you know about the Happisburgh horror and the Shrieking Pits, Freddy?