Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Face at UTMB Galveston

NME_locus

I'm not going to debate on this and don't know if there's been publicity on it. who knows and who cares. it's more of something that would be better if you come and see it yourself.

There's many stories to it, but the one I was told was the a man gave this chunk of land to her daughter and made her promise to never sell the land. Well, she did to the University of Texas and Galveston Texas and ever since, her fathers face shows up on the wall. They have sandblasted it but it keeps coming back. The weird part that people can't debunk is that the same face comes back on different parts of the wall. This is a multi floor building so it's difficult to play a hoax especially since this building is alway under watch. Galveston itself is spooky, known for Americans largest natural disaster known the " The Great Storm of 1900 " where more them a few thousand people died in a hurricane.

linked-image

Here's the link with more photos: UTMB Ghost Face

• Like 1

Well, I don't know about the "face." It just might be some kind of discoloration in the stone (or concrete) that people interpret as a face due to pareidolia.

As for the Hurricane of 1900 that struck Galveston, it leveled Indianola and killed an estimated 50,000 people, dragging most of the bodies out to sea, from which they were never recovered. We ought to keep that in mind every time people call Katrina a "major" disaster. Yeah, people died in New Orleans, but with all the modern warning systems available, they could have gotten out. The people in Indianola didn't have those advantages. They had no idea what was coming--a 20-foot storm surge and 135 mph winds--and even the resident "meteorologist" was clueless. If you don't believe how catastrophic that storm was, watch the History Channel program "Isaac's Storm," which has some appalling photographs of the aftermath.

Thanks for the link, by the way.

• Like 2

I'm not going to debate on this and don't know if there's been publicity on it. who knows and who cares. it's more of something that would be better if you come and see it yourself.

If you didnt want debate why post it? :P

Im not sure I see a face, but it could be. Id love to see a few shots with different lighting on it. Interesting pic and story though, thanks for the posting.

If you didnt want debate why post it? :P

Im not sure I see a face, but it could be. Id love to see a few shots with different lighting on it. Interesting pic and story though, thanks for the posting.

Ahhh...okay... fair enough. It could be a just marking that looks like a face.... but why does it move? from the first to second floor. Problem is, there's too much of it going on to be that simple. I'd rather not believe in this stuff. That's why I have not been on UM for years.

Here's the link to more picture: UTMB Face

Edited by NME_locus

I see a face, but is there any pic's of the face in a differnt possition (as you say they have sand blasted it away before)?? It would be interesting to see if the faces look similar

Ahhh...okay... fair enough. It could be a just marking that looks like a face.... but why does it move? from the first to second floor. Problem is, there's too much of it going on to be that simple. I'd rather not believe in this stuff. That's why I have not been on UM for years.

Attached are the other photos from the website listed above. I see something that is TOO clear, TOO identical between the images. FOr some reason Im reminded of the pics of the "devil face" pics from 9/11

linked-imagelinked-image

post-86293-1245475291_thumb.jpg

post-86293-1245475299_thumb.jpg

post-86293-1245475304_thumb.jpg

Edited by MirrorImage

I can't personally see the face, but the story is interesting if the same 'pattern' is believed to keep returning in different spots.

I don't know but the pic looks kinds weird....the texture of the face does not match the wall....plus the human face is easly found in just about anything....its a common error....unless it is like blinking its eyes or opening a shutting its mouth...now THAT would be weird....lol

It does appear to be a face, but the mind naturally plays tricks on people..espcially when it comes to faces. To prove this, disturb some dust and take a picture of it..each dust spec will appear to have a face.

Still though..that is creepy :blink:

Edited by Silent Winds

seems like a impish grin.

but...as usual..a case of pareidolia!

seems like a impish grin.

but...as usual..a case of pareidolia!

Possibly so, but it's weird to see it. It's so common, that you can go see it for yourself. Just thought I'd share. I haven't been on here in forever, ever since I have my to my own conclusion that paranormal is no longer real to me.

I can clearly see an old man's face as well. I think the story would be more credible if there were pictures of the "face" in different locations, not the just the one that is available. If the face did in fact move to another location after being cleaned and it looked exactly the same then it could possibly be considered paranormal not just paradolia.

Thanks for sharing the story, interesting.

Amanda :)

I was interested until I saw the size of it - it's bigger than a car!

A ghost is repeatedly "drawing" a self portrait on a building that is 10x bigger than life? I don't buy it. I'd like to see pics of when it moved.

Edited by Moonie2012

It probably has something to do with the type of concrete and how it weathers. The first one was sandblasted, and it appeared on the next part of the building that was starting to decay. If my theory holds true it should appear in other concrete blocks as the building ages.

I would also like proof that it was sandblasted, but I will probably never get any real evidence one way or the other. The main thing that keeps me from believing this is paranormal is it's size. Psychic imprints in the form of a human face are always human sized when they are genuine. That face is huge.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

QUOTE (MirrorImage @ Jun 19 2009, 10:15 PM)

If you didnt want debate why post it? tongue.gif

Are there photos of it appearing in different places? I can't get the link to open. Sounds like a BS backstory designed to bolster some basic pareidolia. So the ghost of the farmer was mad at his daughter so he makes his face show up on the bricks of a building? Ooooooh spooky. He sure showed her. :rolleyes:

Edited to add - I didn't realize til after posting how old this thread was. Inadvertent Necro-post.

Edited by orangepeaceful79

I believe that there is a discoloration on the wall. But I don't believe the mysterious, no-name back story, or that the "face" has been sandblasted off and reappeared in different places. Its a little much. I'm not disputing your account, but that the legend is just that. A made up story, albeit a fun one. Welcome to UM though and thanks for sharing.

Interesting that we don't have any photos of the face anywhere other than where it is now - that raises serious red flags for me.

Add to that a dubious story - it should be quite easy to confirm the sale or gift of the land. Has anyone ever compared a photo of the father to the face on the wall? What about the other stories? They can't all be true.

When one begins to add all of this up, it quickly begins to move into urban legend territory.

As an aside, my master bathroom is all marble and I've counted upwards of 25 "faces".

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

I believe that there is a discoloration on the wall. But I don't believe the mysterious, no-name back story, or that the "face" has been sandblasted off and reappeared in different places. Its a little much. I'm not disputing your account, but that the legend is just that. A made up story, albeit a fun one. Welcome to UM though and thanks for sharing.

Agreed.

You should be punished for necroposting. :innocent:

• Like 1

Interesting that we don't have any photos of the face anywhere other than where it is now - that raises serious red flags for me.

Add to that a dubious story - it should be quite easy to confirm the sale or gift of the land. Has anyone ever compared a photo of the father to the face on the wall? What about the other stories? They can't all be true.

When one begins to add all of this up, it quickly begins to move into urban legend territory.

As an aside, my master bathroom is all marble and I've counted upwards of 25 "faces".

Pretty obvious that you or a relative once sold some land that you shouldnt have apparently. Way to go!

Guest Katyjules

Hey, Welcome and thanks, Katy. I will have to check out the hauntings in Galveston. Some gorgeous old buildings there!

I tried to post a link for you, since you mentioned the old buildings...but I'm not very good at these things, my post ended up at the end of this "blog" (?). Anyway, here's the link http://galvestondailynews.com/story/178470
  • Like 1

All real estate transactions are public record. Simply go to the County Clerk's office or to the local newspaper archives. You could also call the university archivist. You don't really need anything other than a mode of transportation and a little time.

As for the picture, that might be more difficult, sure. But if you know the names, it would be a simple matter of contacting the family and asking. All they can say is no.

I just always find it a tad dubious when claims such as "the image looks like the woman's father" are made and, yet, no one can produce a photo to confirm or, like in this case, can even name the man, the woman, or the family involved.

Again, urban legend.