Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Opened gates & locking doors!Ouija aftermath?

Boo Boo

Okay, as you may or may not know from my last topic, my friend and I attempted to use the Ouija board. We first tried it at the house I'm house sitting, then after 45 minutes of nothing we drove to a local historic cemetary and tried it in the car there, still nothing... It's been about 8 years or so since I've used it, and while trying with maybe 5 or so people (all at different times, meaning only me and the other person on the board) it's only *not* worked with two out of those five people. I just figured this was the third.

So... the next morning, I got up to let their dogs out, and the back gate had been unhitched and left wide open. What the heck?! First of all, the gate was no doubt closed and hitched the night before... Secondly, who would do such a thing and then leave the gate open?? It was a good thing I saw it before the dogs because they would have run right out. Whatever. I shut it and hitched it back up hoping it was just a neighbor (for whatever reason?!).

So then this morning, the next day, the dogs woke me up at 6:00 am to take them out. I sleepily got up, walked with them over to the sliding doors, tried to unlocked them, and it wouldn't budge. Hmmm... after trying a few more times, I squatted down to see the lock closer, and tried to push the safety tab thing that "locks" the lock and slides left and right (which I never use) and tried to open the door again and it opened. Okay. I NEVER USED THAT 2nd LOCK! So now I'm really scratching my head. I honestly feel like someone is coming in here while I'm sleeping... which is nearly impossible because the dogs are VERY protective and would bark at the sound of a pin dropping, yet they have been quiet the past few nights. Restless, but definitely quiet. I attribute their restlessness to missing their owners because this is the longest they've ever been gone. Not from intruders.

I guess my question is, has anyone experienced strange things happening after using the Ouija board even though it didn't work? Or am I just plain losing my mind here? Because NOTHING explains the back door being locked like it was. Nothing. The gate, maybe neighbors or someone trespassing, but not the sliding doors.

Maybe I'm sleep walking. Haha... ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boo Boo

• Paranormalcy

• CausticGnostic

• IronGhost

Okay, as you may or may not know from my last topic, my friend and I attempted to use the Ouija board. We first tried it at the house I'm house sitting, then after 45 minutes of nothing we drove to a local historic cemetary and tried it in the car there, still nothing... It's been about 8 years or so since I've used it, and while trying with maybe 5 or so people (all at different times, meaning only me and the other person on the board) it's only *not* worked with two out of those five people. I just figured this was the third.

So... the next morning, I got up to let their dogs out, and the back gate had been unhitched and left wide open. What the heck?! First of all, the gate was no doubt closed and hitched the night before... Secondly, who would do such a thing and then leave the gate open?? It was a good thing I saw it before the dogs because they would have run right out. Whatever. I shut it and hitched it back up hoping it was just a neighbor (for whatever reason?!).

So then this morning, the next day, the dogs woke me up at 6:00 am to take them out. I sleepily got up, walked with them over to the sliding doors, tried to unlocked them, and it wouldn't budge. Hmmm... after trying a few more times, I squatted down to see the lock closer, and tried to push the safety tab thing that "locks" the lock and slides left and right (which I never use) and tried to open the door again and it opened. Okay. I NEVER USED THAT 2nd LOCK! So now I'm really scratching my head. I honestly feel like someone is coming in here while I'm sleeping... which is nearly impossible because the dogs are VERY protective and would bark at the sound of a pin dropping, yet they have been quiet the past few nights. Restless, but definitely quiet. I attribute their restlessness to missing their owners because this is the longest they've ever been gone. Not from intruders.

I guess my question is, has anyone experienced strange things happening after using the Ouija board even though it didn't work? Or am I just plain losing my mind here? Because NOTHING explains the back door being locked like it was. Nothing. The gate, maybe neighbors or someone trespassing, but not the sliding doors.

Maybe I'm sleep walking. Haha... ;)

Well, From a skeptics eye, it could all possibly be in your head.I know, not what you wanna hear. But since you did try the board in the house, your sub-concious knows this and you could be paying even more attention to things that you didnt before, the door lock. the gate being open. Are you certain the gate was closed when you went to bed? But hey maybe you were sleep waking, thats kind of scary too....what were you doing in the back yard with the gate??? lol. Interestng. I have heard stories about strange things happening after using the ouija board, never happened to me, I dont think. I guess only timewill tell. Keep your ears and eyes open for anything else I suppose. Maybe now would be the time to try the ouija board again, in the house. The dogs havent been acting strange? I know when I thought I had a spirit in my house, my cat would find the same exact spot in the hallway, sit, and stare without moving at all. I know,goofy, but I would try to get his attention and he wouldnt pay any attention to me like he usually did. So, guess just keep your eyes open =)

Edited by mcjolley85

Well, From a skeptics eye, it could all possibly be in your head.I know, not what you wanna hear. But since you did try the board in the house, your sub-concious knows this and you could be paying even more attention to things that you didnt before, the door lock. the gate being open. Are you certain the gate was closed when you went to bed? But hey maybe you were sleep waking, thats kind of scary too....what were you doing in the back yard with the gate??? lol. Interestng. I have heard stories about strange things happening after using the ouija board, never happened to me, I dont think. I guess only timewill tell. Keep your ears and eyes open for anything else I suppose. Maybe now would be the time to try the ouija board again, in the house. The dogs havent been acting strange? I know when I thought I had a spirit in my house, my cat would find the same exact spot in the hallway, sit, and stare without moving at all. I know,goofy, but I would try to get his attention and he wouldnt pay any attention to me like he usually did. So, guess just keep your eyes open =)

Just a little while ago I told the owners of the house, and they were both absoultely shocked that the back gate was open. They said it's never happened before... And as far as the sliding glass doors they were stumped. Weird!!

I do want to hear it's all in my head! I don't want this stuff following me around... haha.

The dogs have been restless, to say the least. They are whining a lot more than usual... for no reason. It could just be them missing mom and dad though.

That's scary about your cat.... They say animals have a sixth sense.

If I was sleepwalking out in the backyard that is quite terrifying, but you never know... I used to sleepwalk when i was a kid. :D

Don't worry, Boo Boo. Nothing's going to "follow you around." You shrewdly used the evil Ouija apparatus in somebody else's house. So, all the demons flooding out of the portal to Hell that you opened there will just plague the people whose house you were supposed to be taking care of. . . .

Don't worry, Boo Boo. Nothing's going to "follow you around." You shrewdly used the evil Ouija apparatus in somebody else's house. So, all the demons flooding out of the portal to Hell that you opened there will just plague the people whose house you were supposed to be taking care of. . . .

Hahahaha :lol::tsu::clap:

i've heard of ouija aftermath, i was on a ouija board a few years ago with some friends and one of them was leaving, so the "spirit" said "goodbye oma", his name was omar but the "spirit" never spelled the last letter, the next day he says he woke up and he had a slight pain on his back and when he checked it out there was a small R scratched in his skin, don't know if this is true, never saw the R, he did seem quite convincing though

First of all, above everything else, I appreciate you posting again, with your "aftermath". It gives a fairly solid example of the types of occurrences that some people may experience.

"It's all in your head" and "this stuff following me around" are not interchangeable. One means nothing is going on and you're just reading too much significance into things, the other of course is the last thing you say before something eats your face off.

A gate was unlatched and left open. A sliding door was latched. Both of these things happening are actually the reverse of their "natural order", and to boot, they both deal with latches and locks! So like a pun, about opening portals and doorways with the board, now that you've done it, the other ones get messed with, maybe as a warning. Possibly, your friend's "R" scratch, if that is indeed what it is, could also be included here.

Also, I am unsure how you know that this stuff is all coming from the failed session, rather than the other four you did, most of which were successes? The paranormal doesn't necessarily follow our much-beloved cause-and-effect principle - just because that session was the last one before everything went hinky doesn't necessarily mean it was the one that caused the disturbances. It could indeed have been something that was "following" you all night, possibly from the very first use, but too much was going on for there to be noticeable phenomena.

In all my group's 1+ times a week for 4 years use starting about '93+, there were a few, what could potentially be called examples of "aftermath", though I couldn't tell you if they involved board use or failure on any one occasion.

One was we had all left from my friend's house, and when we came back, the interior bedroom door was torn off its hinges and lying diagonally in the frame.

Another time was when we got a "negative entity" and later, one of our group and a friend reported to me he had seen a large dark shadow and felt it's malign presence, in the yard by his house, which was in an entirely different town than the other friend's house where we used the board.

In the session house, the ceiling fan would occasionally start turning, just slightly slower than "Low", and it wasn't on.

After one session, while me and a friend were sitting in the living room in the near-dark, just talking and not moving around or putting our feet up or anything, the VCR suddenly sucked a tape that was sitting in it half-ejected, back into itself and rewound it. The remote controls were all sitting on the table between us.

Also, after one session, two friends decided to make a snack run, and reported when they came back, that as they were walking across the parking lot to Wal-Mart, they both happened to look up and there was a pitch black slightly rotating lateral triangle moving slowly overhead, larger than the store itself, and completely soundless. and nobody else paid any attention to it.

And lastly, unless you count us doing a few "crossing overs" for spirits on the board and then being hounded everytime by dozens of similar requests, the only other one I can remember is that the brother of the house-owner and also part time Ouijer, had gone to church one day and been "slain in the spirit" (knocked down on the floor), and when he looked up, there IN church was his spirit guide looking down at him, which freaked him out mightily from using the board after that.

Now, having said all that:

This same brother had some emotional and gullibility problems, plus in inability to not indulge in vast quantities of alcohol, so as far as the door being ripped off? Yeah, I have a suspicion that was his doing, came in when we weren't there and left before we got back - he would occasionally do that but never destroyed anything before.

The negative "entity" we got on the board for about a month or so, interfering with sessions and being threatening, even having to be fought off with everyone else's spirit guides. I believe it was due to an interpersonal dynamic conflict in our group itself, because one of the users (that none of us had a great fondness for and it was sorta mutual) had secretly consciously divided himself, mentally, into his "good" and "bad" halves, and given them both names. When the entity revealed its name to us, the "split" guy about crapped down both legs, and told us what happened, which of course caused us to say "WTF?! Well you reintegrate those personalities right NOW!" Which, within a few weeks of that, no more negative problems.

The house had an attic and front vent situated right above the fan, and the house was a "crackerbox" type that would make your ears pop anywhere in the house, if someone shut the front door too hard, so I have no doubt the fan turning was an unusual but explainable scientific effect with probably air pressure and currents.

I really don't have an explanation for the VCR however, as I was not even aware that even if you pressed a button, it was physically able to draw an ejected tape back into itself and also start rewinding - I never had a VCR that could do that, but his might have been able to, I don't know.

Similarly I have no particular guess about the UFO/Black Triangle over Wal-Mart, other than the tried and true experimental aircraft. One friend, about 40 at the time, has always been somewhat of a true believer in UFOs and spirits and such, so it is not outside the realm of possibility that his imagination got the better of him, seems like it was stormy so likely there was a lot of clouds and an overcast night sky - I know he didn't LIE about it because that's not something any of our group did with our experiences. I'm puzzled though by the other friend, my age, about 19 at the time, who corroborated the other guy's report and elaborated a little bit from his perspective - he's always been a laid-back, quiet, polite, down-to-earth, churchgoing guy (he wouldn't use the Ouija but would watch our sessions) but did have a few highly unusual experiences (not UFOs though) in his childhood he occasionally would mention to us - but although he got along with most of us all quite well and we all enjoyed him visiting, I cannot conclude he would have either been "talked into" corroborating the sighting, or been influenced to think he also saw it, or was doing it out of a sense of fitting in, so I tentatively also consider this sighting to be inexplicable.

However, only two of these things, whatever their nature, could be directly traced to board use (spirit guide in church and negative entity), while everything else could be said to be indirectly "connected", like the idea that god likes to make it rain after you wash your car.

So in short (too late), don't sweat it. Calm down, take stock of what you can, think and remember if you are SURE you locked/unlocked the doors, or didn't, or if you can't remember definitely and are giving in to assumption and anxiety and heedless fear or overreacting melodrama and being caught in a self-fulfilling prophecy. Try to think rationally and critically, not emotionally, about everything that happened and if it makes sense, with your worldview and experiences and other people's as well. Why would this have happened, and how? And to what end?

Lastly, I believe it is possible for some people to create what is known as a paranormal version of the self-fulfilling prophecy, causing very real effects based on the person's own perceptions and fears and certainties, stress, etc. Also called psychic creatures, thoughtforms or tulpas, the person essentially "creates", unconsciously, an errant and spontaneous manifestation of their psi abilities, also known as a poltergeist. The more certain you are of these things, potentially the more reality they will have and possibly escalate, which is what I believe happened with my group's negative entity experience - the important thing is to keep perspective and a critical eye on your situation and environment without jumping to conclusions and expecting the worst.

I personally do not believe in spirits or spirit contact, even having used the board numerous times and hearing various family or friends relate their experiences of seeing figures, hearing voices, etc. Necessarily, I also don't believe in demons or whatever other similar "beings" most people try to associate with Ouija boards and such experiences. Unfortunately, I think people have experiences like this because there is so much superstitious fear and ignorance of a scientific effect, and the need, in some people's cases, to have something scary or unusual happen to them, to distract them from their lives, and so tons of these types of stories circulate in books and on the internet, far outweighing any positive or even neutral reports, influencing even otherwise non-superstitious or non-religious people to make exceptions to "I don't believe in..."

I of course wish you the best and a speedy resolution, and would like to hear how things are going.

Some doors and gates react strangely on their own. Locks can jam in awkward positions and they may not have been like that before. The gate could've been unlocked properly and then opened by wind. Who else lives with you? Is it common for these dogs to wake you up at 6am?

Paranormalcy, (you're still my hero, btw) And I agree with you about people overreacting and creating self-fulfilling profecies... which is something I try not to get caught up in, because I know I'll end up scaring myself and that's definitely not something I'd want to do. I am not attributing the gate and lock to the board, but I guess maybe it is kinda fun to imagine it being the cause and I posted the situation here because I wanted to know if anyone used the board without it "working" and still experienced strange things afterward that the connected to the board.

I thought rationally about the gate and the lock; I've come to the conclusion that neither make sense unless someone had come into the house, or someone had opened the gate. The gate has the type of latch where you have to lift up and push over, impossible for wind to open it. When I mentioned it to the owners of this house on the phone, ,they were absolutely shocked. The wife said it's never happened during their two years of living here and sounded confused. It's a very quiet neighborhood. The lock.... I tried messing with the lock for about 10 minutes yesterday trying to get it to slide over on it's own, and it's just impossible. Someone had to have pushed it over. You know sometimes, people do things without thinking and perhaps I did it and just don't remember doing it... I'll admit that's definitely possible.. but locking the lock that way is just something I've never done.

So I just don't know. I guess I'll chalk it up to strange people opening back gates and my forgetfulness?

My friend and I got into a pretty bad argument and pretty much weren't going to talk during the rest of the time I'm in town (I'm here until next weekend) but last night he texted me saying we should Ouija again before I leave. Soo.... I'll keep you updated if anything happens ^_^

Thank you for the replies!

Brave of you all, but also shows a solid, curious but dedicated approach to "get to the bottom" of your session(s). I wish you the best, and will be looking for your post if you use the board again.

After you're sure that these happenings aren't just cooincidences in timing with your playing with the Ouija board you may want to do a cleansing and/or a blessing in your house. You may have opened up a portal with the Ouija board. Good luck to you.

I'm not sure that using a Ouija board with a person you're on bad terms with is a good idea, since, in my opinion, the board taps into the participants' unconscious minds. Maybe you should first make sure that you and the friend with whom you're having problems have cleared up any lingering animosity from your argument.

On the other hand, it might be an interesting experiment: ouijaing with participants who are angry with one another. . . .

I had forgotten about that. I think Caustic is right - if there is still actual emnity between you, if it wasn't just a "we were mad at each other for a little bit but we're friends again" thing, then I second the caution on using the board together with bad feelings present in one or both of you - that is a potential recipe for a frustrating or negative session, though not always. Do think it over though.

We do this a lot... it's never a real argument.... just a confusing situation that gets to be "too much" every now and then. It's just become so often now that it lasts *maybe* a full day before one of us contacts the other. Haha, I'm sure this sounds ridiculous. It's hard to explain.

I hate drama. <_<

Anyway, as of today, we are 100% fine.

Thank you for sharing your concerns. I feel so loved! :wub:

And again, I'll keep you updated!!

Okay. I am again requesting your thoughts on this one. Please.

A brief history: a year or two ago, my parent's smoke alarms would go off at around 3 am almost every night. Not just the polite "smoke detector needs a battery" chirp but the full-blown alarm would go off for minutes at a time, and then just stop on it's own. The last time it happened was November, which is when my dad got so tired of it he went out and bought all new ones and wired them all back up. This was also around the time I moved two hours away from my parents. According to all of my family members (asked seperately in case they were messing with me) never happened after that.

So here we go: The day before yesterday, my brother was giving me a hard time for using the board and he said kind of jokingly "Those damn smoke alarms are going to go off tonight." I kind of laughed, but in the back of my head thought it'd be pretty strange since it hasn't happened since my dad replaced them over 7 months ago... but shook his comment off nonetheless.

Nothing happened that night.

BUT

Last night... at around 3 am I was awoken from a deep sleep by the ear-deafening screaming of the smoke alarms. It took me a moment to realize what was happening, and once I did, my heart started pounding a little quicker. After about 5 minutes of howling, they shut off on their own suddenly in the middle of a "BEEP" and didn't go off for the rest of the night.

Thoughts? Comments?

If it were me, I would get back on the Ouija board and just confront the issue directly. Conduct a session and ask to speak to "any entity" that may be manifesting the phenomenon you have noticed. Ask "it" what it is up to, and why. Maybe they are trying to symbolically tell you something, and it may very well be a positive message.

It's a great opportunity to interact with some interesting beings.

If it were me, I would get back on the Ouija board and just confront the issue directly. Conduct a session and ask to speak to "any entity" that may be manifesting the phenomenon you have noticed. Ask "it" what it is up to, and why. Maybe they are trying to symbolically tell you something, and it may very well be a positive message.

It's a great opportunity to interact with some interesting beings.

Oooo Iron, I'm scared. :no:

When the alarm was going off last night, I texted my friend and said "no more ouija" haha. I'd LOVE to have the guts to use it here.... but I am not sure. Besides, my parents and brother who live here would be upset if I used it here.

What if I use it "near" the house but not in it? Would that work.....? Like, maybe in the driveway...?

Oooo Iron, I'm scared. :no:

When the alarm was going off last night, I texted my friend and said "no more ouija" haha. I'd LOVE to have the guts to use it here.... but I am not sure. Besides, my parents and brother who live here would be upset if I used it here.

What if I use it "near" the house but not in it? Would that work.....? Like, maybe in the driveway...?

If you're afraid, the just don't us it anymore. As long as you are coming from that position of fear that energy will necessarily influence how you percieve an Ouija session.

But also, our fears are trying to tell us something. There is a Zen concept which states: "Anything you try to avoid actually has a hold on you."

Ironically, the energy we put into avoiding someting actually creates a link and ties us to that something. We can witness this phenomenon in just about any ordinary every-day situation.

Let's say you have a bad debt to pay off, and your strategy is just to avoid it. What happens. People start calling you, and calling you. Then they up the ante and get a bill collector to torment you. If you continue to avoid, they may get the legal system involved. Before you know it, you're in a heap of trouble -- and it's all because of avoidance.

Similarly, when we try to avoid a fear, of some perceived negative thing we think is knocking at our door, the more we try to avoid it, the more persisten it might get. It's almost always best to face things directly -- and get to a point of resolution.

If something was trying to get my attention by manifesting strange phenonmenon in my life, I would confront it and seek a resolution. But that's just me -- I'm sure you know best how to handle your own situations. I wish you well.

Bafflingly, I am in essentially total agreement with IronGhost in all his points. If you are afraid, if you believe these things happening are related to your board use and it has caused significant anxiety in you, I second Ghost's advice not to use it again because I too think people in the wrong state of mind using a board aren't likely, at best, to get anything constructive, and at worst, well, you'll get things less than "not constructive". You also, to me, seem to be slightly above average in your suggestibility, maybe just unconsciously, which I feel facilitates board activity and possibly other as well.

I feel I must speak the unwanted and say that coincidences DO happen (could have been errant microwaves or radio signals, etc), and it is precisely BECAUSE they happen seemingly in conjunction with other unrelated events that suggest a mysterious connection, that they are CALLED coincidences - if they were just things that happened everyday normally, they would be unremarkable. I strongly suggest you use this as your default approach unless/until you feel like using a board again, just put it down to chance and go on about your life.

If you do decide to use it again, I guess approaching it from a spiritual angle, Ghost would be the one to confirm or correct this but I think it is likely that it would still "work" done outside and somewhere near the house - because regardless of what the nature of a board entity is, they are certainly not restricted by physical barriers or possibly distance - I've even seen some users claim using a board creates a bright beacon that "spirits" can see in their realm, and allows them to follow it back to a board, so it might not be much of a problem making contact. Again I'll defer to Iron Ghost's experience in the spiritual approach as to the validity of my statements, but I think you know why I personally think it would work.

Thanks again for the replies.

Okay, so I decided I DO want to confront it directly, just without my family's snide remarks about how my board is bringing all of these electrical problems into the house (the day before yesterday the fan above the stove started up on it's own which has never happened, and when my mom hit "off" it wouldn't stop so we had to unplug it). Since that and then the smoke alarm occurance last night, my family has been making me feel like I've done something to cause these things to happen; Also, Paranormalcy, I DO want to believe they are just coincidences. It's just the other part of me that feels that is more than a coincidence that two days ago my brother said the smoke alarms were going to go off at 3 am like they did back in November (due to my use of the board days prior)... and they did. After over half a year of them not going off and more importantly being NEW smoke detectors. If that is coincidental, it's one helluva coincidence. ^_^

I probably do sound higher than average in my suggestibility to more than just you, Paranormalcy, and this whole experience probably sounds absolutely ridiculous to many other members of this forum... but I don't want to ignore something that no one can explain. Anyone else heard of smoke alarms going off just around 3:00 am night after night? My dad is a contractor who does tons of electric work/installing smoke detectors in houses... and he is completely baffled. I even tried googling this situation and came up with nothing. Smoke alarms going off at random times? Yes. However, nothing about it always being around the same time and night after night. those who had the random alarms got new ones and the problem was solved. Not in our case.

I feel as if something is trying to get our attention.... trying to tell us something....

So with this in mind, where do I go from here? Do I break out the ouija here with my friend and use it asking for answers? Should I investigate via EVP and taking photos? Should I just ask for more "signs" if something is trying to get our attention? Should I say a prayer to "cleanse" the house?? Ha.... I don't want to just let this go.

My advice I wouldn't touch a board again and destroy the one I had as a sign of amendment especially if this could be a source of disruption in your life and the lives of your loved ones. Because you could be communicating with negative entities that gain attachment through the board the door you could be opening is between you and these negative entities. If there is still feeling of presence or spiritual illness consult a ministry.

Don't mess with a board and there is a great chance that door will never open in that manner. These negative entities have vampiric qualities, a vampire can not cross into a threshhold until it is welcomed first, same principal basically applies.

If Manszilla's right, in theory you should be able to just revoke your invitation wouldn't you? But vampires were stories based on superstition and the human need to embellish, just for the record.

Thanks again for the replies.

Okay, so I decided I DO want to confront it directly, just without my family's snide remarks about how my board is bringing all of these electrical problems into the house (the day before yesterday the fan above the stove started up on it's own which has never happened, and when my mom hit "off" it wouldn't stop so we had to unplug it). Since that and then the smoke alarm occurance last night, my family has been making me feel like I've done something to cause these things to happen; Also, Paranormalcy, I DO want to believe they are just coincidences. It's just the other part of me that feels that is more than a coincidence that two days ago my brother said the smoke alarms were going to go off at 3 am like they did back in November (due to my use of the board days prior)... and they did. After over half a year of them not going off and more importantly being NEW smoke detectors.

I was sort of being a bit subtle with my suggestion of writing the events off as coincidence, I suppose it would be better to say that I strongly urge you to, whether you believe it or not, get a clamp on your reactions and not justify such unexplained "behavior" in the house, but consciously and decisively dismiss it. Interesting your fan started turning on its own now having never done that before. And that that the smoke detector went off by itself. Well if it helps, maybe your brother is precognitive?

If that is coincidental, it's one helluva coincidence. ^_^

Like I said, that's why they call em that. You can't really have a coincidence that isn't composed of two or more unlikely events, and there really is no limit as to how "slight" or "incredible" the degree of the coincidence is. They've got to happen to someone - it isn't reasonable to say "yeah I believe in coincidences but not ones THIS big" although I am fully aware of how unbelievable such a thing would seem.

I probably do sound higher than average in my suggestibility to more than just you, Paranormalcy, and this whole experience probably sounds absolutely ridiculous to many other members of this forum... but I don't want to ignore something that no one can explain. Anyone else heard of smoke alarms going off just around 3:00 am night after night? My dad is a contractor who does tons of electric work/installing smoke detectors in houses... and he is completely baffled. I even tried googling this situation and came up with nothing. Smoke alarms going off at random times? Yes. However, nothing about it always being around the same time and night after night. those who had the random alarms got new ones and the problem was solved. Not in our case.

No, it isn't ridiculous, and I didn't mean the note about suggestibility to be a slight, if it came off that way. You are in an environment which initially had a little bit of a strangeness factor already, then you did what you did, and then began noticing other unusual events, your reaction is understandable, so don't feel bad, don't let other people make you feel bad, like something is your fault, because it isn't.

I feel as if something is trying to get our attention.... trying to tell us something....

Again, I understand where you're coming from here. If in fact what is happening is not coincidence, I am not necessarily in disagreement with you, though without a specific and genuine mindset and approach, of disapproval and firm authority, resolving the issue may not be immediate. Don't get angry or upset or scared, just get it right in your mind what it is that you feel is negative about the situation and use that as your template.

So with this in mind, where do I go from here? Do I break out the ouija here with my friend and use it asking for answers? Should I investigate via EVP and taking photos? Should I just ask for more "signs" if something is trying to get our attention? Should I say a prayer to "cleanse" the house??

I have no helpful opinion about EVP and photos in these situations. It doesn't hurt to say a prayer as long as you're not saying a prayer AT whatever you think is going on - it is really better for you, directed for yourself, for comfort and encouragement and a feeling of capability and resilience. You could do incense or something like that too if you want, some people say it has a calming effect on them, I have incense I light every now and then, and that is the only reason I have it, just for the different smells. As far as using the board and asking questions and/or asking for signs, it is up to you, if you think that is the best approach, though if you use the board and get answers, wouldn't that be a sign, rather than having to try to get secondary confirmation?

Ha.... I don't want to just let this go.

If anything of a more coherent manner is going on, I believe this to be the main underlying difficulty with your situation.

Boo Boo, not to "alarm" you, but maybe it's not the Ouija board or any unwelcome entities. You said you used the Ouija board elsewhere, right? But the smoke-alarm thing happened first at your parents' house and then at yours? You're the common denominator.

Maybe you're manifesting psychokinetic effects, due to your anxiety about this issue.

If the furniture starts rearranging itself into odd jumbles in the middle of the night, you'll know that you don't have a ghost problem. You're a poltergeist!

Edited by CausticGnostic

I thought rationally about the gate and the lock; I've come to the conclusion that neither make sense unless someone had come into the house, or someone had opened the gate. The gate has the type of latch where you have to lift up and push over, impossible for wind to open it. When I mentioned it to the owners of this house on the phone, ,they were absolutely shocked. The wife said it's never happened during their two years of living here and sounded confused. It's a very quiet neighborhood.

Hey Boo Boo,

Just thought I'd chime in here and give a little perspective. First, I highly doubt that the former owners would remember a random occurance about the back gate, as they wouldn't have had a weird situation to tie it too, i.e. the Ouija experience that you do. The fact that they don't remember it happening, doesn't mean that it didn't.Locks are weird devices and an already frightened mind wil make us do things we never do. I have been excessivly paranoid before and done things that for days I couldn't figure. Example, after having my car broken into, and everything getting replaced, I came out one moring to find the face to my radio missing. Not the radio itself mind you, but the detachable face for securities sake. I looked for three days, it had disappeared. On the fourth day I was doing laundry and found the face in a jacket that I had been wearing the night before it went missing. I never take the face with me, I usually just hide it under the seat as not to attract local thugs and thievers. BUT, being that apparently I was more paranoid than I thought, I did, and then promptly forgot about it. Stupid, but it happened. I would imagine you getting distracted and not making sure the gate was fully closed, or someone else did, and when locking up for the night, gave a little added protection by hitting that redundant lock. Not saying that's what happened, but it's more likely than a spirit w/ OCD.

As for the Smoke alarms, if it had only happened once, that would be coincidence, twice pretty weird, three times, something is wrong with the wiring/ electricity to your home. I don't know enough about smoke alrms to give any education on the matter, but I would check to see where they are, and what they react too. There are a lot of factors that could make them go off. Call an electrician. If he can't find anything, then worry about finding an exorcist.

Edited by Paul Noise

So with this in mind, where do I go from here? Do I break out the ouija here with my friend and use it asking for answers? Should I investigate via EVP and taking photos? Should I just ask for more "signs" if something is trying to get our attention? Should I say a prayer to "cleanse" the house?? Ha.... I don't want to just let this go.

Because you could be communicating with negative entities that gain attachment through the board the door you could be opening is between you and these negative entities. If there is still feeling of presence or spiritual illness consult a ministry.

There is no evidence yet that the activity taking place is of a negative nature. The only negativity is the stereotypical reactions from people who're feeling uneasy because there's a Ouija board in the picture.

This kind of reaction is typical when Ouija boards come into naive hands. This is when the psychological aspect comes into play, regardless of who believes what and whether something metaphysical, paranormal or natural happened or not. So the OP is asking where to go from here?

From my thoughts and experience, The Ouija board does not materialize anything nor is it even needed to make contact with something. Whatever exists in your space or around you, already does irregardless of what you're aware of or not. What the Ouija does do however, is act as tool of focus to express an intention. Usually for the purpose of communication. The Ouija board provides a physically anchored object to allow a group to collectively focus and project their minds..... How far and where to is always going vary.

Now, obviously, if something does actually happen and you catch the attention of something already existing in the same space as you, then there's a likely chance of it taking an interest back. I tend to agree with what both paranomalcy and Ironghost have said. Either confronting it and seeing the experience through, or acknowledging, then ignoring it is personally the ways I've always dealt with these kind of things. You need to decide which method is most appropriate for what is specifically going on. But understand that the not knowing, the second guessing, the "is it or isn't it", everytime something around the house happens, involves the psychological as much as anything. Entities can surely operate, communicate and gain reactions/energy through the mental levels as much as the physical. It doesn't even have to be believed in to cause a reaction if everyone's attention immediately goes to the slightest thing that happens around the house and it revolves into the "is it or isn't" discussion. And even if there is no said enetity at all and it's all down to natural occurances, then you are still wasting a lot of energy going through the same process each time something happenes. Do you see what i mean?

If you're going to confront it, be sure that you are going to see it through. You started it, so you finish it, and there is no reason at all why it should be a negative experience. If you are going acknoledge it, then ignore it, ignoring really means ignoring everything that happens and that goes for everyone in the house. You're not 'avoiding' in the context that ironghost put it, but you simply acknowledge that something went bang, and that it could have been xyz entity, then your thoughts go back to whatever it was your doing. You pay it no attention, therefore no energy.

Best of luck.

Edited by Lady_Anvilabeel