Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant alligator photographed in Alabama

UM-Bot

crocodile.jpg
Jon Downes examines a set of photographs he's received taken from a helicopter showing what appears to be an alligator of monstrous proportions swimming through the water with an adult stag in its mouth.

"Jon Downes: One of the things about the Fortean omniverse I have always found entertaining is the way that stuff always happens in batches. On the same day that I received this story about alligators in Alabama, I also received this series of photographs and what purports to be a news story..."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Cryptozoology Online

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• Queen in the North

• AROCES

• DieChecker

Looks more like it's about 10-12 foot to me, judging by the species of deer.

Looks more like it's about 10-12 foot to me, judging by the species of deer.

Yeah i'd have to agree with you there.

Those photos are so seriously old it isn't even funny...? How many times have they been covered? o_o

Just last Wedensday at History channel's Monster Quest, they actually found and laser measured a 16 footer Alligator, now that is BIG for an alligator. Biggest ever so far.

Those photos are so seriously old it isn't even funny...? How many times have they been covered? o_o

Are they? I haven't seen them before.

Either way, my main beef with the article is as follows.

1) There is no scale on the photos, not really.

2) Something about it feels off anyway

3) If they photographed the deer and it measured 11 feet (unlikely) why did they not photograph it as proof? Proof is required, also it should have been a photograph with some kind of scale. :yes:

Just last Wedensday at History channel's Monster Quest, they actually found and laser measured a 16 footer Alligator, now that is BIG for an alligator. Biggest ever so far.

So far what? That's not the 'biggest ever'. Gomek was 18 feet long, and Utan's 20 feet. God only knows how big Gustave is.

Edited by _Libby

I have this photo many many times on net...

I guess biologists don't surf internet much....

P.S It looks like just another alligator.. Nothing much big...

I have this photo many many times on net...

I guess biologists don't surf internet much....

P.S It looks like just another alligator.. Nothing much big...

I got the impression that this article has never been near any actual biologists. :lol:

Are they? I haven't seen them before.

Either way, my main beef with the article is as follows.

1) There is no scale on the photos, not really.

2) Something about it feels off anyway

3) If they photographed the deer and it measured 11 feet (unlikely) why did they not photograph it as proof? Proof is required, also it should have been a photograph with some kind of scale. :yes:

Mhm. Pretty darn old. Both are real though.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/gatordeer.asp - Alligator with deer.

12-13 footer.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp - The bottom photograph.

13 footer.

The photographs weren't even taken in Alabama.

(Gustave (crocodile, not an alligator) is estimated to be about 22ft.)

In parts of Asia and Australia saltwater crocodiles (Crocodylus porosus) 6 metres (20 ft) long are well known and easy to spot; individuals 7 metres (23 ft) long have been reported. In eastern India the Guinness Book of World Records has confirmed the existence of a 7 m individual.[4] Therefore, Gustave is not exceptional in size compared to other crocodiles, although he is much larger than the average male Nile crocodile. He is known for the few distinct bullet scars that cover his body: one on his head, and three on his right side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_(crocodile)

Edited by Ebonykrow

This is disappointing to see this article - which is actually just an email that's been circulating for years and edited to represent the home state of whoever sent it - posted here as legit information. If I were concerned with any kind of journalistic integrity, I'd research it before posting. Which is exactly what I did when my uncle sent me this suspicious email years ago.

So far what? That's not the 'biggest ever'. Gomek was 18 feet long, and Utan's 20 feet. God only knows how big Gustave is.

Seems like you have no knowledge with the difference between an Alligator and a Crocodile.

Gomek, Utan and Gustave are all Crocodlie.

Seems like you have no knowledge with the difference between an Alligator and a Crocodile.

It would be an easy mistake to make.

Ten-foot or twenty, alligator or crocodile--whatever! They're damned big reptiles! I sure wouldn't want to run into one of 'em. Reptiles that big shouldn't be allowed anywhere near inhabited areas! They should be captured and relocated to wilder areas or, failing that, shot and turned into handbags and luggage. I definitely think the conservation efforts here in the U.S. and "down under" in Australia have been successful. Maybe too successful, judging by recent news stories of attacks against people. I think it's time to thin these critters' numbers again. We can use PETA people for bait. . . .

Edited by CausticGnostic

Ten-foot or twenty, alligator or crocodile--whatever! They're damned big reptiles! I sure wouldn't want to run into one of 'em. Reptiles that big shouldn't be allowed anywhere near inhabited areas! They should be captured and relocated to wilder areas or, failing that, shot and turned into handbags and luggage. I definitely think the conservation efforts here in the U.S. and "down under" in Australia have been successful. Maybe too successful, judging by recent news stories of attacks against people. I think it's time to thin these critters' numbers again. We can use PETA people for bait. . . .

Why does crap like this show up on the front pages.... People should do just 30,15,10,5 SECONDS OF RESEARCH .......... This makes the site look like a bunch of wishy washy garbage, this stuff should just stay in the forums, NOT THE FRONTPAGE. As for the gators, we have them all over where I work at Kennedy Space Center, not that big, but just like all alligators. THEY ARE NOTHING TO BE WORRIED ABOUT, just leave their habitat alone and they leave you alone. Look at the water they hang in, would you wanna hang in that what? No.

Looks fake - that deer looks a bit plastic for my liking.

I don't think so...

Just looks like a deer, perhaps not a full grown buck... but it looks real

No, they're real. Look at the links I posted first page.

Yes, to those who dont read and just look at pictures.

So I guess you were never confused about them?

I love the 30-20-10-5 sc research ! Gotta be A NASA fan!

Holding at t-minus 5 sec`s

11 foot deer? Come on! Whitetail deer in Alabama range from 65 - 200lbs depending on location and feed. A big buck would be about 4-1/2 ft long from chest to rear.

Furthermore, the way the deer's neck and head are craned out in front is unnatural. If the gator were moving thru the water (there is no disturbance of water by the gator in either picture by the way.) the deer's head would be down and pointed backwards.

There is a lot to answer to here.

Oops, yes that is true. Blonde moment.

Yes, to those who dont read and just look at pictures.

Nope, you're wrong. I do read and don't just look at pictures, thank you, my actual problem is retaining information long enough to make a relevant post on the subject. If you're going to nit-pick, at least do it properly.

So I guess you were never confused about them?

Nope, got curious right away why one is called an Alligator and one Crocodlie and so I read about it before making any comment or telling anyone about it.

Nope, got curious right away why one is called an Alligator and one Crocodlie and so I read about it before making any comment or telling anyone about it.

Well then, clever you.