Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neda, young girl brutally killed in Iran,

__Kratos__

'Neda' becomes rallying cry for Iranian protests

(CNN) -- "RIP NEDA, The World cries seeing your last breath, you didn't die in vain. We remember you."

That Twitter post was from a man who said he is a guitarist from Nashville, Tennessee.

Amid the hundreds of images of Saturday's crackdown on protesters in Iran that were distributed to the world over the Internet, it was the graphic video showing the dying moments of a young woman shot in the heart that touched a nerve for many people around the world.

Like most of the information coming out of Tehran, it is impossible to verify her name, Neda, or the circumstances of her apparent death, which was captured close-up on a bystander's camera.

CNN ran a pixilated version of the video, which was posted on YouTube. Another amateur video captured images of Neda and her father attending what appeared to be a peaceful protest, just moments before the shooting.

It shows a woman in jeans and white sneakers collapsed on the street, as the person with the camera -- most likely from a cell phone -- runs toward her and focuses on her face.

More of the article here: Link

-----------------------------------------------------

This is a pretty damning video for the protesters.

Edited by __Kratos__

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyrus the Great

• __Kratos__

• The Silver Thong

• Princess Serenity

Yeah, I watched it when it was first published on Mousavi's Facebook page. I was going to post it yesterday but I wasn't sure if it was too graphic for this website. It definitely brings things into perspective though.

Edited by Ins0mniac

This is a pretty damning video for the protesters.

Damning in what way, Kratos?

The video shows an incredibly tragic loss of life, for which I can only relate my sympathies to her family and friends, but what else does it show?

Damning in what way, Kratos?

The video shows an incredibly tragic loss of life, for which I can only relate my sympathies to her family and friends, but what else does it show?

The brutality of their militia on cracking down on the protesters? Shooting a young girl in the street to inspire fear in the others is just plain cold and won't serve any good.

Yeah, I watched it when it was first published on Facebook, I was going to post it yesterday but I wasn't sure if it was too graphic for this website.

Yeah, hell, I didn't notice the vid at the bottom. I'm looking for a new source asap. edit- now fixed.

Edited by __Kratos__

The brutality of their militia on cracking down on the protesters? Shooting a young girl in the street to inspire fear in the others is just plain cold and won't serve any good.

Really?

I didn't notice the shooter in the video. Please point out where he/she was indicated.

Points to consider:

* The shooter may not have been a member of any government authority.

* The shooting may have been a complete accident, but be conveniently (or inconveniently - depending on what side of the fence it is viewed from) be blamed on the government or an associated authority.

I will ask again, Kratos. How is this video particularly damning?

wow. this was truly horrible to watch. it's a crying shame.

but having said that, i have to agree with leonardo - we know nothing of the circumstances surrounding the shooting, therefore, until we know more it would be unwise to speculate on such things.

Really?

I didn't notice the shooter in the video. Please point out where he/she was indicated.

Points to consider:

* The shooter may not have been a member of any government authority.

* The shooting may have been a complete accident, but be conveniently (or inconveniently - depending on what side of the fence it is viewed from) be blamed on the government or an associated authority.

I will ask again, Kratos. How is this video particularly damning?

They're the ones with guns, with orders to crack down and have already killed dozens of others around Iran. And to add onto my earlier comment, it's pretty damning to because the world is seeing it. Just like that other girl who showed her bloodied beaten face and all the other videos that are leaking out of there.

They're the ones with guns, with orders to crack down and have already killed dozens of others around Iran. And to add onto my earlier comment, it's pretty damning to because the world is seeing it. Just like that other girl who showed her bloodied beaten face and all the other videos that are leaking out of there.

actually they're not the only ones with guns. it has been reported that the kurdish terrorist group 'PJAK' have been operating within the protestors and that they are highly responsible for the more violent aspects of the protestors.

Edited by expandmymind

I've seen a few videos of the violence in Iran, some showing protestors with large stones and chunks of masonry hurling these at govt forces. Am I to suppose those behind the protests are brutally trying to overthrow the govt because of these actions?

How do you know the govt authorities are the only ones with guns, Kratos? How many people have been killed in the protests (you mention 'dozens')?

Linky to article in Time.

I am not defending the Iranian govt's tactics, suppression of peaceful protest by violent means is abhorrent, but neither am I condoning some of the violent protesting that has been occurring. Additionally, I don't feel it is my right to condemn either the govt or the protestors via speculation - which is what you appear to be doing.

actually they're not the only ones with guns. it has been reported that the kurdish terrorist group 'PJAK' have been operating within the protestors and that they are highly responsible for the more violent aspects of the protestors.

I have read reports that the State authorities are also indicating members of an exiled Islamic extremist group (MKD ?) are operating within the protest.

*update* Just read this news - not completely on topic, but interesting nonetheless. For those of a more hastily judgemental mind-set, the report does not indicate which party/candidate the irregularities were in favour of.

Edited by Leonardo

Then why arrest and block reporters and websites to try to prevent this stuff to get out?

I've seen a few videos of the violence in Iran, some showing protestors with large stones and chunks of masonry hurling these at govt forces. Am I to suppose those behind the protests are brutally trying to overthrow the govt because of these actions?

How do you know the govt authorities are the only ones with guns, Kratos? How many people have been killed in the protests (you mention 'dozens')?

Linky to article in Time.

I am not defending the Iranian govt's tactics, suppression of peaceful protest by violent means is abhorrent, but neither am I condoning some of the violent protesting that has been occurring. Additionally, I don't feel it is my right to condemn either the govt or the protestors via speculation - which is what you appear to be doing.

So have I. But most of those that I've seen is when they're told to leave and go home and then met with force.

I meant that they're the 'police' running around that are doing the shootings so far.

It's hard to confirm now but there are reports coming out of there from dozens to 100+ people dead in the protests on the social networking sites. Their state media has already admitted to 19 deaths last count. Iran raises death toll in clashes to at least 19 (link)

Never said you were. And with the pieces laid out now, it points right back to the government militia.

Never said you were. And with the pieces laid out now, it points right back to the government militia.

So, with the power struggle going on behind the scenes you find it impossible to imagine this young woman was shot precisely to make it seem the govt forces were responsible?

I am not saying that is the case, Kratos, but if you are going to speculate then at least speculate on ALL the possibilities, not just the one you want to be true.

Then why arrest and block reporters and websites to try to prevent this stuff to get out?

That's a difficult question to answer objectively. I believe in freedom of information, but I am also aware that a lot of information may not be true. In a situation as volatile as the one in Iran, if a lot of the information being disseminated to the outside world is not true then how does one combat that? Especially when that outside world is already biased through media and foreign govt led propaganda to assume the worst of you.

Edited by Leonardo

i can only speculate but my guess would be that iran knows full well that no matter what happens inside their borders, it will only be portrayed in a negative light. this has been the case with western media regarding every single aspect of this election. from not reporting on the ahmadinejad supporters amassing in the build up to the election, while reporting on the mousavi ones, to the BBC reporting mousavi's claim of victory in the election before people had even finished voting. the current iranian government has been painted in a negative light all the way through in what can only be described as a massive propoganda/smear campaign. the reporting has been anything but objective. you only have to read other asian sources, including chinese, to see this is the case. the examples of biased reporting are near endless.

and for that reason i can't really blame them for banning outside media sources.

and for that reason i can't really blame them for banning outside media sources.

Governments do what governments do, specially repressive ones.

But, taking into consideration all outside influential possibilities (CIA and all other conspirators), taking into consideration the tragic death of a young life which might have been portrayed (or used) by the opposition and the western media as a heroine and a symbol of defiance, taking into consideration the influence of western media technology (twitter) in assisting many in a restrained world to come out and speak their mind against a dictatorship governed by an islamic fundamentalist, still begs the question, are we possibly seeing the start of a generational change in beliefs (a revolution) against a strict and suppressive Islamic faith that doesn't "fit in" anymore with the beliefs of a young Iranian population made up mostly of under 30 year olds, or is it just simply the losing oppositon showing some sour grapes for the election results and hypocritically stirring up their followers with the help of the western media and ultimately using this tragic situation for their own benefit?

Not asking for answers but just making some inquisitive points.

Edited by BlackRedLittleDevil

Hello from Tehran. Hello to everybody in the world. Now you can see what are we talking about in Iran. Now you can see the reality of our brutal government and its savage leaders.

I m typing these words with tears in my eyes. Every sympathy from ewerywhere in the world calms us and encourages us to continue our hard way to freedom. Although no sympathy can bring Neda back to this world. God bless her soul. She is the angel of Iran and the martyre of freedom. She died with dignity and now she is free. NOW SHE IS FREE LIKE A BIRD IN HEAVEN.

Death video woman 'targeted by militia'

Amateur video apparently showing a young Iranian woman dying in Tehran after she was allegedly shot by pro-government militia on Saturday has caused outrage in Iran and abroad.

The woman, Neda Agha-Soltan, was buried on Sunday.

Her fiance, Caspian Makan, told BBC Persian TV about the circumstances of Neda's death.

She was near the area, a few streets away, from where the main protests were taking place, near the Amir-Abad area. She was with her music teacher, sitting in a car and stuck in traffic.

She was feeling very tired and very hot. She got out of the car for just for a few minutes.

And that's when it all happened.

That's when she was shot dead. Eyewitnesses and video footage of the shooting clearly show that probably Basij paramilitaries in civilian clothing deliberately targeted her. Eyewitnesses said they clearly targeted her and she was shot in the chest.

She passed away within a few minutes. People tried to take her to the nearest hospital, the Shariati hospital. But it was too late.

We worked so hard to get the authorities to release her body. She was taken to a morgue outside Tehran. The officials from the morgue asked if they could use parts of her corpse for body transplants for medical patients.

They didn't specify what exactly they intended to do. Her family agreed because they wanted to bury her as soon as possible.

More of the article here: Link

-----------------------------------------

cheers for posting kratos :tu:

it goes to show you that not everything is always as it first seems.

i'm still not sure that it can be said for definate if it was a pro government militia group though. when you take into account that during the iranian revolution it was 1 woman's death, commemorated on the 1st, 3rd and 40th days (think my days could be off) after her death which ended up largely being the motivation for so many to revolt back then (the same thing is planned for this woman), you realise that this could quite easily have been someone anti-iranian government who did this to for their own agenda. it's a horrible thought but entirely possible - this reasoning could also explain why the government have been so quick in trying to lay her to reat.

on a side note... after reading your OP testerday morning and watching the video i'm actually having a hard time getting the image of her death out of my head... it was seeing the eyes and all the blood that suddenly poured from her face after death that had an effect on me.

Edited by expandmymind

I saw the clip and yes it made me tear up. To be honest I don't have a clue whats going on there but what I do know is very sad. Watching her die was brutal. Ok enough here as I just can't stomach it. Not the thread but the video really gets to me.

The BBC appear to have retracted their speculative bias about the origin/affiliation of the people who shot Miss Ahga-Soltan as this later (23 Jun 06:36) article shows.

From the article...

"She got out of the car for just for a few minutes [and] that's when she was shot dead," said Caspian Makan.

Mr Makan quoted eyewitnesses as saying she appeared to have been targeted deliberately by "paramilitaries in civilian clothing".

He added that officials had prevented mourners holding a memorial service at a mosque on Monday.

Good to see the BBC not trying to prejudice people by making unsupported assertions/guesses of the situation.

well spotted Leo.

the BBC is at it again. they make their agenda so obvious.. it's a horrible form of journalism they have adopted. truly awful.

Meh.

The funeral is still going to go ahead.

ALOT of people are gonna get even more upset if the government continues to infringe on a)peoples rights in their homes, and b)religious/family ceremonies.

Hello from Tehran. Hello to everybody in the world. Now you can see what are we talking about in Iran. Now you can see the reality of our brutal government and its savage leaders.

I m typing these words with tears in my eyes. Every sympathy from ewerywhere in the world calms us and encourages us to continue our hard way to freedom. Although no sympathy can bring Neda back to this world. God bless her soul. She is the angel of Iran and the martyre of freedom. She died with dignity and now she is free. NOW SHE IS FREE LIKE A BIRD IN HEAVEN.

Wow, reverse martydom! I think she was just a poor victim of circumstances and yes, those images in the video are heartwrenching.

I saw the clip and yes it made me tear up. To be honest I don't have a clue whats going on there but what I do know is very sad. Watching her die was brutal. Ok enough here as I just can't stomach it. Not the thread but the video really gets to me.

on a side note... after reading your OP testerday morning and watching the video i'm actually having a hard time getting the image of her death out of my head... it was seeing the eyes and all the blood that suddenly poured from her face after death that had an effect on me.

I did too :(. I can not handle hearing such agonizing screams for her not to leave, not to be afraid, please don't go. It is beyond words.

Wow, reverse martydom!

She was a martyr. I truly hope her family and friends recognize this and, god willing, it will ease their agony of loss. :cry:

She was a martyr. I truly hope her family and friends recognize this and, god willing, it will ease their agony of loss. :cry:

I am not belittling the tragedy of her death, but what was she a martyr of?

She was not involved in the protests at all, her being at that unfortunate spot was purely coincidence. There is no evidence of who shot her, except some second-hand eyewitness reports of "people dressed as civilians" (the actual quote was 'paramilitaries dressed as civilians - but how can you tell if a person dressed in civilian clothing is a paramilitary?)

Being a martyr implies giving your life knowingly for a cause. What cause did she give her life up to? The protests? No, she was not involved in them.

This is another example of propaganda, and quite ugly propaganda at that (not directing this at you Empress) because it is simply using this young womans death.

I did too :(. I can not handle hearing such agonizing screams for her not to leave, not to be afraid, please don't go. It is beyond words.

I saw a few seconds of it on Bill O'Reilly last night (yes i watch Billy O' every now again) and it's horrible, just horrible. :(

I haven't seen the whole video and quite frankly I don't want to. It's not right IMO.

Edited by Splodgenessabounds