Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Physicist developing time machine to save father

UM-Bot

clocks.jpg
Physicist Ronald Mallett has devised what he believes to be a method for travelling through time by opening a "time tunnel" through the use of criss-crossing lasers creating a gravitational swirl in time and space.

"For some, the idea of time travel is about fantasy. For others it's science. But for Ronald Mallett, it was love -- a son's love for his father. You might even call it his lifelong mission."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: ABC News

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• Exterminator

• Harriet The Ripperologist

• Alchera

heh even if it did work the goverment would swoop on him in seconds and steal it

sorry bout his father's death, but impossible....but like the other poster in this thread stated, the government wouldnt let him...they'll say he might go back and mess things up...then steal it and use it for their own use

I heard about this guy a few years ago, he's been working on his idea for a long time. He already knows that it's not possible to go back in time to a point before the machine is built and turned on (at least using this method), the point about going back to save his father is just a spin the media put on the story.

Edited by Raptor

I heard about this guy a few years ago, he's been working on his idea for a long time. He already knows that it's not possible to go back in time to a point before the machine is built and turned on (at least using this method), the point about going back to save his father is just a spin the media put on the story.

This is from Mallet's own site:

SPIKE LEE ACQUIRES FILM RIGHTS TO

TIME TRAVELER

by Dr. Ronald Mallett with Bruce Henderson

New York, NY - Film rights to TIME TRAVELER by Dr. Ronald Mallett with Bruce Henderson --the inspiring memoir by one of America's first African American Ph.D.'s in theoretical physics who has discovered the basic equations for a working time machine -- have been acquired by director Spike Lee's production company, Forty Acres & A Mule Filmworks, Inc. The Emmy-winning and Academy Award-nominated Lee will co-write the script and direct.

TIME TRAVELER: A Scientist's Personal Mission to Make Time Travel a Reality (Basic Books) is the compelling and touching story of a man whose deep childhood trauma -- at age ten the sudden death of his father -- drove him on a quest to build a time machine in an attempt to go back in time to save his father. In telling his story, Mallett explains in "easy-to-read" (Publishers Weekly) language and elegant metaphors the physics that makes time travel possible -- based on Einstein's theories of relativity -- and offers what New Scientist's editor Michael Brooks calls an "actual blueprint for a time machine." The title has been reprinted in Korea, Taiwan and the United Kingdom.

http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~mallett/main/aspikeleefilm.htm

Even if he succeeds, unless the concept of Parallel Universe is true, he cannot bring back his father from the dead. Because it's simple as pie that if his father was alive then why did he ever make a time machine... But since NOW his father is dead simply means he never succeeded.

It reminds me of the novel and the movie The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. :)

Anyways it's a really cool idea to make one.. Imagine the possibilities.

I think it is more likely to create a dimensional hole then a time tunnel, which would still be cool.

building a time machine?

1236217468732148721934 time a charm

Even if he succeeds, unless the concept of Parallel Universe is true, he cannot bring back his father from the dead. Because it's simple as pie that if his father was alive then why did he ever make a time machine... But since NOW his father is dead simply means he never succeeded.

It reminds me of the novel and the movie The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. :)

Anyways it's a really cool idea to make one.. Imagine the possibilities.

if you read the whole article it says that going back to save his father was his inspiration to think of an idea for a time machine in the first place but in reality he's knows that he would only be able to travel back to the time when the machine was turned on.

No one truly knows how time travel will work, it's all speculation and theory; your guess is as good as mine. However, I think this research is wonderful, because it might lead to other discoveries.

No one truly knows how time travel will work, it's all speculation and theory; your guess is as good as mine. However, I think this research is wonderful, because it might lead to other discoveries.

No one knows exactly how it would work, true, but we're all pretty sure that it would still have to obey the laws of physics, so we can make some pretty good assumptions on the possibility itself, the extent that it would be possible, and the possible paradoxes and effects of it.

Best wishes to him...Hope it doesnt prove negative to the world

Thanks

B???

I can see the idea of making a wormhole like structure that twists time, instead of space. But, we can not really manipulate space yet, or gravity for that matter, so I don't know how we would build off that to manipulate time. And I'm not sure how one might use lasers to manipulate gravity. Any guesses?

A technology that could manipulate gravity to create time tunnels would also allow for many kinds of doomsday devices.

I personally wouldn't be going near crisscrossing lasers. I think the end results will be math divisions with my body and not a shred of time travel.

No one knows exactly how it would work, true, but we're all pretty sure that it would still have to obey the laws of physics, so we can make some pretty good assumptions on the possibility itself, the extent that it would be possible, and the possible paradoxes and effects of it.

The problems with these laws of physics is... we may not not know all of them.

Well his theory is good - I just don't see how he will be able to control how far back in time you go... I mean if you built this machine now and used it 50 years from now but only wanted go back twenty-five years how would you "get out" of the time warp? that part just doesn't seem to make sense. Not to mention that when you start messing with the flow of time you can SERIOUSLY mess stuff up. Time is best to be left alone until you know EXACTLY how it works - unless of course you really want to go and destroy the world... If that's the case be my guest :ph34r:

Ouch.

`Criss-crossing lasers' ?

I hope there is more to it than that. Nobody has observed any interactions between photons (at least to my knowledge) and nobody has observed an intrinsic mass in photons. Therefore; no space-time deflections.

Hey, you remember when the world was almost destroyed in a space-time swirly-doodad after the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility shot their full spectrum beam through atmosphere (it was so intense it ionized the air and the beam actually looked like a star-wars blaster shot)? Or did y'all notice the space-time vortex that occurred during the FermiLab experiments? Or how about the portal to a dimension of pure evil that opened up in the sun (where there are lots of photons and gravity present)?

No? I'm guessing no table-top criss-cross of lasers is gonna cut it - otherwise we might be in trouble when the National Ignition Facility finally fires up.

Man do I love this subject I was one of those kids that grew up reading everything on time travel. But once you get older and look back at the things that you could change you have to ask yourself would you? Everything about time is like a book that is wrote by the second. Anything in the past that one might change could cause such a aftermath that the present would become so altered who knows what could happen. Just going back in time to save one person could cause your own children to not be here when you got back. Maybe like a father who died and you went back and saved him and then he as life goes on made you decide not to go out on the day you should have met your wife to be. And then what? Well the strange part of doing just that is it could have happened many times in our own life now and if it did we would have never known it. If it could be done I would say things should be taken control of by someone and rules made like no going back past 3 days. Then we have not made any mistakes for a future that was hardly made. Going back 25 years or 50 could point to some real sad times. But like I said I guess it would only be sad if we could recall everything. But what if you went back again and seen what you had and what you lost by that change in the past? Would you change it again back to the way it was?

I definately agree with the last part. While I have very little hope that this machine will be able to do what it was created to do, its failure could very well lead to other advancements.

Edited by Larving

I think it is silly how people expect to go back in time, change something; then return to the future to see that the future has changed.

" But for Ronald Mallett, it was love -- a son's love for his father. You might even call it his lifelong mission."

*sings* The things we do for love...

Guys, you have it all wrong! The machine can only send INFORMATION to the past. Just one atom at the moment. However, Dr. Mallet hopes that the moment he turns the machine on he receives information from the future.

it might be possible he figures out to send more information to the past in the future. The Dr. Mallet in the 'now' will receive this messages the moment the machine goes on. It's very possible.

No one would really know if it works because when he enters he might of just vaporized himself.

Then people will want to try it out then vaporise themselves