Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'The Scariest Picture on the Internet'

Michael J Jackson

I recently found this video on youtube, and after much research, I have compiled some information about the origin and history of the photo. I found that gathering information was difficult, as this particular picture isn't as discussed or as well known as some of the others.

The sketch is believed to be a self portrait of a young Japanese woman, who supposedly sketched herself before scanning the sketch and posting it onto the internet. The origin of the picture is currently unknown, but I have contacted the creator of the youtube video and have asked for the information required to properly and efficiently analyse the sketch.

If you stare at the picture for an amount of time, it is said that the sketch can be seen moving. Some people have reported seeing her eyes moving, even changing colour. Others have reported seeing her chest moving up and down as though she was inhaling and exhaling. All of these are due to the fact that the sketch is said to be cursed, as the woman commited suicide only a short amount of time after drawing it.

Some have claimed thatit is an animation, however, if you pause the Youtube video, it is said that you can still see movement.

For me, I couldn't see anything obvious, it did appear as though her chest moved at some points during the video, note the first scene, however I saw no other signs which may lead me to believe that the picture is cursed.

See for yourself -

The Scariest Picture on the Internet -- Youtube Link

Thanks

- Watch this space.

Some other pictures said to be cursed -

- A fake, but still disturbing to an extent.

2. Korean Horror Film - Obviously fake, from a Korean Horror film (?) if my memory serves me correctly.

Does anyone else have some favourites they want to share?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldTimeRadio

• Michael J Jackson

• Lorelei

• sinewave

I didn't really see anything. It's such a shame someone that young would take her own life like that. So pretty too. That's sad. I wonder why.

The second one was really disturbing.

Exactely, and she was such a good artist too. I am not sure why she would have commited suicide.

Yeah, after starring at it for a while it shook me some what.

I must be getting old.... I got nothing!

Nothing at all....bummer

didn't see anything at all, if the title is correct i'm not disappointed.

I remember that this picture was discussed before on here. I also *think* (don't quote me on this) that the story behind the picture was made up.

I'll look around and see if I can find the thread. If anyone else remembers what I am talking about then don't hesitate to jump in!

I remember that this picture was discussed before on here. I also *think* (don't quote me on this) that the story behind the picture was made up.

I'll look around and see if I can find the thread. If anyone else remembers what I am talking about then don't hesitate to jump in!

I know exactly what you mean but I couldn't find the thread!

I seem to remember a fair bit of discussion...

I know exactly what you mean but I couldn't find the thread!

I seem to remember a fair bit of discussion...

I'm glad to find out that I'm not losing my mind! :)

Anyway, I couldn't find the thread here on UM either. But I did some searching around on the internet and I did find out that the story behind this picture is nothing but a hoax.

The picture was originally made in photo shop by a man named Robert Chang for his sci-fi/fantasy screenplay. He calls her "Princess Ruu". I guess someone on the internet saw it and decided to steal it and create an urban legend.

Here is the link to Robert Chang's portfolio and his picture of Princess Ruu: http://lunatique.cgsociety.org/gallery/325333/

Also here are some alternate versions from Robert Chang: http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_we...ic_princess.htm

Edited by Lorelei

I'm glad to find out that I'm not losing my mind! :)

Anyway, I couldn't find the thread here on UM either. But I did some searching around on the internet and I did find out that the story behind this picture is nothing but a hoax.

The picture was originally made in photo shop by a man named Robert Chang for his sci-fi/fantasy screenplay. He calls her "Princess Ruu". I guess someone on the internet saw it and decided to steal it and create an urban legend.

Here is the link to Robert Chang's portfolio and his picture of Princess Ruu: http://lunatique.cgsociety.org/gallery/325333/

Also here are some alternate versions from Robert Chang: http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_we...ic_princess.htm

Thanks for the info!

Edit - Here're the UM threads:

Linky

Linky 2

Edited by schizoidwoman

I hope the legend really isn't true, she was very pretty and a good artist.

Now for the picture, i don't know. I though her facial expressions changed a bit throughout the 5 min, first it seemed like she smiled then it turned to more of a sad look. Also her eyes seemed to follow you around, I got up after I paused it and she seemed to follow me around the room. I didn't notice any eye color changed though.

I didn't really see anything. It's such a shame someone that young would take her own life like that. So pretty too. That's sad. I wonder why.

My suspicion is that there wasn't any such suicide and the entire video is part of a project for some freshman psychology or sociology class.

By the way, it is fairly well established that if you stare at any frontal full-face portrait the eyes will eventually seem to flicker, the lips "speak," the hair gently wave and so on.

My suspicion is that there wasn't any such suicide and the entire video is part of a project for some freshman psychology or sociology class.

By the way, it is fairly well established that if you stare at any frontal full-face portrait the eyes will eventually seem to flicker, the lips "speak," the hair gently wave and so on.

Again for those who seemed to miss the first page of this topic:

OMG.

That scared the hell out of me.

Haha

Sike.

Nothing was scary about that.

I've seen scarier things under my bed.

So have I. Me. Mwuahahahahaha.

Boo.

:lol:

I hope the legend really isn't true, she was very pretty and a good artist.

The actual artist is known and it's a guy.

Also her eyes seemed to follow you around, I got up after I paused it and she seemed to follow me around the room.

That's the nature of full-frontal-face portraits. The eyes seem to look directly at you wherever you stand. I learned that very early on from my commercial artist Dad.

So have I. Why else do you think I sleep sitting up at my computer?

When I was nine or 10 Dad hung a framed art print of George Washington over the living room fireplace. I remember how Washington's eyes seemed to follow me across the room.

Mom said this was because I had a guilty conscience but Dad explained the scientific reason to me.

But that guilty conscience did enter into it! :)

Let me add that the dynastic Egyptians rarely, in fact almost never, portrayed the Pharoah full-face on wall paintings; they much preferred to use profile views. (Statuary was a different matter altogether, for reasons I've never quite understood.)

The fear apparently was that "the spark of life" could flash from the twin eyes and fry the onlooker.

The portrait is sort of blurry which kind of gives off the impression that her chest movies(breathing).

Also considering eye strain from starring and video framerate the picture may come off as moving when its just a trick of the eye.

omg she winked at me ;)