Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paranormal Bigfoot ?

UM-Bot

Image credit: stockxpert
Image credit: stockxpert
William B Stoecker: People have always believed the world to be inhabited by a variety of mysterious beings: dragons, demons, angels, elves, fairies, dwarves, gnomes, trolls, ogres, and so forth, and many of these beings were believed to be somewhat human in appearance, or nearly so. Ancient and traditional people drew no sharp distinction between the physical and spiritual realms, and perhaps their understanding of this matter was superior to our own. Elves and fairies (really different names for the same thing) were often perceived as somewhat physical, but having supernatural powers and living much of the time in a sort of parallel reality, very close to our own world. In modern times a multitude of seemingly credible witnesses have reported encounters with various kinds of "aliens," many of them, as other authors have noted, bearing a close resemblance to elves and fairies. People have also reported humanoid reptilian beings, insectoid creatures, chupacabra, giant birds, the Mothman, and so on.

One of the most common beings reported, and one that often leaves footprints, is the (usually) large ape man, appearing in several varieties, and known by many names around the world, including abominable snowman and yeti. The North American versions also have many names, including bigfoot and sasquatch. Pacific Northwest Indians mostly seemed to think these creatures were living physical animals, while a few believed them to be spirits, as did the Hopi, Lakota, and Iroquoian tribes, and they were often considered to be benevolent, despite their intimidating appearance. The Iroquoians believed in dwarves living in the Adirondack Mountains of New York, and this is where author Whitley Strieber claimed to have encountered small humanoids. The Wendigo of the Algonkian tribes seems to have been a cannibalistic shape-shifting human, more akin to werewolves than to bigfoot.

Clearly, as is the case with ufos, some reports are hoaxes, some are hallucinations, and some are misidentifications of, for example, bears or even other people seen at a distance and under poor viewing conditions. And hard proof is lacking; even video and film footage and hair samples have not sufficed. And yet the volume of reports from seemingly credible witnesses is too great to ignore: something is out there. But what? Obviously, for there to be a report there has to be a reporter, so sightings will be more common where there are more people. If all of the sightings were fraud or hallucinations most would occur in or near large cities or in national parks that are very heavily visited. If it is an unknown animal, there would be more reports in forested or wilderness areas, and, indeed, this is the case, but, as we shall see, there is more to it than that.

But first, let us consider whether or not a large, unknown animal could even exist in North America. Large animals continued to be discovered well into the twentieth century, including a kind of wild ox in Vietnam, that, no doubt, was always well known to the local farmers. They had never reported it to anyone because there seemed to be nothing unusual about it, and, no doubt, they believed everyone already knew of it. No fossils of any ape or hominid have ever been found in the Americas, but most creatures die without leaving a fossil, the formation of which requires certain specific conditions, and most fossils are never found, so it seems unlikely, but possible that a large ape or hominid migrated from Asia into North America. Some researchers have suggested the gigantopithecus, a kind of huge, overgrown gorilla-type creature, as the culprit; very little is known about this creature and no complete skeleton has ever been found. Some have suggested neanderthal man, but evidence is mounting that the neanderthals were only slightly different from us, and may actually have been fully human, a different race rather than a different species. The objection often raised to the existence of a large ape in North America is that no body or bones have ever been found. I have spent much of my life hiking in wilderness areas from Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego, and in all that time I have only seen perhaps fifteen black and grizzly bears and two (possibly three) cougars. As for bodies and bones, I will go hiking perhaps a hundred times before finding the carcass or bones of a deer; perhaps one time in fifty I will chance upon the remains of a dead squirrel or rabbit. Scavengers make short work of anything that dies, consuming even the bones and antlers.

So a highly intelligent and elusive animal, perhaps living in caves or burrows by day and mostly coming out at night, might avoid being killed or captured, although it is important to remember that no nocturnal ape has ever been known to exist. If these animals are omnivorous they could exist wherever bears do, and the Pacific Northwest, especially near the coast, could certainly support a large population.

But there is a pattern to bigfoot sightings (I always emphasize the importance of patterns), and the pattern paints a confusing and contradictory picture. I have relied on the website of the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization; other researchers and organizations have published or posted very similar maps and lists of sightings. As one might expect of a large physical animal, California has (as of early June, 2009) some 411 sightings; Washington State has 464; and smaller Oregon has 211. So far, so good. These states have vast wildreness areas, rich ecosystems, and plenty of people to see what is out there and make the reports. But Alaska and British Columbia have far fewer reports, despite the immense and fairly temperate rainforests near the coast, and the presence of fairly large numbers of inhabitants and tourists, many of them hunters, fishermen, and hikers. Even stranger, New York has 93 reports, and Texas has 174. Ohio has an incredible 197, and Illinois has 82. Arkansas has 68; Georgia has 72; Florida has 163.

All of these states, especially New York, Florida, and Texas, have forests, swamps, and wilderness areas. But they are not extensive or continuous, and many of the sightings in these states are in heavily populated areas nowhere near the forests. For example, Shawnee National Forest with the Ozark and Shawnee Hills, covers 280,000 acres in southern Illinois, and Wayne National Forest and the Hocking Hills are in southern Ohio. But the sightings come from all over these states, with many in the populous northern regions. And there is another problem. It is not enough that one bigfoot live in an area; there must be a breeding population for the species to survive, with enough of a population to provide some genetic diversity and prevent inbreeding and for prospective mates to be able to find one another. While such a fairly large population might exist in the great wilderness areas of the Northwest, and possibly in places like Colorado, there simply is not enough habitat in places like Ohio to support sufficient numbers and allow them to hide and avoid death or capture at the hands of human beings.

It has been suggested that they live in some vast subterranean realm or that they are dropped off by ufos. But no miners or spelunkers have ever found the subterranean world, and why would ufos place large animals here on Earth, and how would they avoid death or capture? So while some bigfoot in the Northwest, and the Yeti and similar creatures in the Himalayas and elsewhere may possibly be living animals, we have to consider seriously the possibility that bigfoot is a paranormal entity. If the underworld is involved it would be as a portal to some alternate reality; if ufos are involved, it may be because they, too, are paranormal in nature.

William B Stoecker

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• meankitty

• Leah G.

• debunker09

Georgia has 72;

Make that 71. The one in the chest freezer was a fake.

Oh, I just can't see them as some sort of spector. The research is pretty good but the final conclusion is just wrong. I think they bury their dead very deep and it decomposes quickly. They hide from probably their only true predator, us. If they exist they are as old if not older than we are and every bit as smart, they just aren't interested in science although I'm sure they have their own medicines but feel no need to go to the moon or have a computer.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, I just can't see them as some sort of spector. The research is pretty good but the final conclusion is just wrong. I think they bury their dead very deep and it decomposes quickly. They hide from probably their only true predator, us. If they exist they are as old if not older than we are and every bit as smart, they just aren't interested in science although I'm sure they have their own medicines but feel no need to go to the moon or have a computer.

This is crazy! The reason our superior intellegence exsists lies in evolution and the only reason something evolves is because there is a need for improvement. If the early homosapiens had not displayed an interest in science, however basic, we would not be what we are. To suggest an animal exsists with superior intellect to our own but displays no desire to utilise it goes totally against Darwin's grain. Could you imagine the first creature capable of flight deciding to walk everywhere? As far as animals go, intellegence wise, we are it!

Furthermore, If bigfoot sightings really are as prolific as this article suggests, there would be evidence. In an age where most people are walking around with digital camera technology built into mobile phones, someone would have snapped one. Why is it naturalists can go in search of the most elusive and rare creatures, and not only find them, but film wonderful documentaries on them, time and time again, but the best we have on this subject is some shaky, blurred footage shot in the 70's?

How Profound. I think that is something to consider,"Alien Life Form".A.L.F. Who's to say aliens only come in grey with big black eyes.I would wonder if the bigfoot sightings dont coinside with U.F.O sightings.

Texas does have some very thick thicket with vast amounts of space. Consider the "Big Bend" area, There are some places that are too thick to go into. Even though the area is rough terain you can get there but it takes alot of work. Some places are dangerous due to the many types of poison snakes we have,Not to mention the other "critters" we have roaming the countryside.Bigfoot could be out there watching us.

• 3 weeks later...

There exist no shortage of stories where Bigfoots have taken point blank shots from high-calibre hunting rifles only to vanish in a flash of light or do unearthly back-flips and scurry off seemingly unharmed. This backflip business is also to be found in the alien literature .. shooting aliens gets weird results (too). Needless to say . never has there been found BigFoot parts to say nothing of a complete specimen. There have been reports of animated headless BigFoots - seen standing in the middle of a field with a classic saucer shaped disc hovering how-ever high overhead with a rainbow of colors emanating out of where the head (neck hole) should have been - upwards toward the hovering metallic disk. A cosmic re-charge? This particular headless BF was very much capable of otherwise-normal movement and in fact chased people - only to disappear when the hapless person thought they were assuredly "done for" disappearing at the last possible moment. This, as told to me over the phone by the person engaged in the foot-race of his life. He appeared on a Bigfoot documentary - I gave him a call - he was less-than-pleased that they had edited the portion of the BF as headless. This happened to him as a boy in rural Arizona. More on this (later) - if there is adequate interest (demonstrated).

Another decidedly (and ulitmately fairly poorly-reported) BigFoot paranormal connection is that of the 1973 Greensburg PA encounter ... two BF's (with heads) took direct hits only to shrug it off and saunter away. This encounter is normally told in it's abridged version leaving out the fiendish cloaked Bela Lugosi-type figure who put in an appearance (a possible interdimensional BigFoot Master?) This entire sordid affair was thoroughly investigated by the late Berthold Eric Schwarz, M.D. noted para-psychologist - he wrote a book on it - never got published to the best of my recollection. Noted ufo-ologist Stan Gordon resides in Greensburg PA yet he is more well-known for his coverage of the Kecksburg PA incident - although he certainly is not unaware of the depth and breadth of this 1973 Greensburg PA case. Investigate "Bigfoot +Greensburg".

http://www.llresearch.org/publications/excerpts/secrets_of_the_ufo.aspx Greensburg PA Case #6

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/jsteele.htm Can BigFoot be Killed?

Edited by HAL9001

• 3 weeks later...
I think they bury their dead very deep and it decomposes quickly. They hide from probably their only true predator, us. If they exist they are as old if not older than we are and every bit as smart, they just aren't interested in science although I'm sure they have their own medicines but feel no need to go to the moon or have a computer.

Where are their toold then, if htey bury their dead very deep? And where are the bones or remains from when man moves into formerly wild areas and digs foundations for buildings? why have none died alone and not been burried?

These ideas are very illogical.