Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Haunting of Munger Road

Borachio

If the bus full of kids accident really did take place, there would certainly be newspaper stories about it. I only did a quick small search, but could not find anything.

• Like 2

Unfortunately a train was on the track so they tried pushing the bus off the tracks but they were too late, so the train ended up killing everyone. (Feel free to find and post any links to news on the story).

If you had enough time to try to push the bus, which is obviously not going to happen, why not get the kids off of the bus instead?

• 5 years later...
On 9/1/2009 at 1:11 PM, churchanddestroy said:

There is a road in Palatine, Cuba Road, or something similar to it, that has a story that sounds a lot like the Munger Road story. I don't think that Munger Road has anything particularly out of the ordinary going on, besides being really really creepy.

Hi so, I just went to Munger Road (yes at 1 in the morning, I got off of work and didn’t feel like going home just yet,) sat on the tracks in Neutral several times and nothing happened. They must have renovated the tracks to allow two tracks and/or stop people from stopping on active railroad tracks.

As for the Cuba road, I’ll have to see and I work near there so I’ll have to see, I’ve also heard Shoe Factory rd in had two haunted buildings an old brick building and a farm where according to legends two separate murders happened

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FinMaddox said:

Hi so, I just went to Munger Road (yes at 1 in the morning, I got off of work and didn’t feel like going home just yet,) sat on the tracks in Neutral several times and nothing happened. They must have renovated the tracks to allow two tracks and/or stop people from stopping on active railroad tracks.

As for the Cuba road, I’ll have to see and I work near there so I’ll have to see, I’ve also heard Shoe Factory rd in had two haunted buildings an old brick building and a farm where according to legends two separate murders happened

Welcome to UM FinMaddox :tu:

Mighty old thread here, heh. I wouldn't be surprised if Munger had been worked on over time.. Be careful legal out on Cuba, it's winter and all.

And don't bother with Shoe Factory Road- the site of the original farm where some actual murders happened was plowed under and used for commercial years ago. So folks picked a couple other places to move the legend to- and now even those have been demolished. It's a translocating lore that has trailed off and gone defunct over time. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FinMaddox said:

yeah sorry, I made an account specifically for this thread

Kind of figured, it's OK. Not too often we get folks around here talking about road spooky. I happen to be familiar with the lore of the area. And Shoe Factory Road is one of my favorite examples of translocating lore. 

There's other spooky drives out that way, some legends better or more defunct than others. Some other public spaces that have legal access, like parks too. I'd have to go digging through old notes to bring up a list. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The only story that i am familiar with is the legend we have here in San Antonio.Now Shoe  Factory Road and the house where a real murder took place interest me. Do you know the story about them? Recall my mom once mentioning some old house in Springville,NY  where she grew up that was owned by a couple.

One day the husband  killed his wife with an axe.  She told this back in the 1960s when we went to visit family there. Think the story itself dated back to the 1870s to 1900s. Say that  because she was born in 1925, and must of heard it when she was a kid.

The real murders were the Teets family in January 1979- Mr. and Mrs, and their son and the family dogs. They were shot to death. The bodies were found hours before the  blizzard of '79 started falling, and the blizzard nixed any crime scene help. The murders remain unsolved. Later in '79 in September and October, four separate cases of arson destroyed the farm buildings- that's unsolved too. Though there was still at least one building there according to historical air maps as late as 84. Another detail to note is not only was the crime scene buried in snow- Gacy had just been arrested a couple weeks prior and a lot of focus was on that crime, so the Teets went fairly unremarked upon.

I misremembered a detail about the site- it wasn't turned over to commercial, it was turned into part of the parks system, part of the Poplar Creek trail- that happened sometime between 88 and 94. Now I'm gonna be wondering which spooky crime scene went under commercial, lol. 

Sometime in 96-00 the haunt legend kind of started down the road- mental patient escapee kills a family (some stories said shot, more rarely knifed)... that mutated into mental farmer kills his family (by what means is usually left unsaid, but some accounts say shot and the farmer shot or hung himsef) by the time the legend was really developing 00-05. No true crimes to match these legends. Also during the 02-07 era, the  Charles Lindbergh School  was part of the haunts, a kid knifing his parents on the front steps- also no crime reports.. in 07 the school was demolished. By 07-09, the first farm translocation shifted to another a bit down the road. Those locations have been demolished too. 

Along the way, there's been a spooky pond, fairy lights, weird noises, and some strange woods in the vague stretch between "the farm" (which one?) and the schoolhouse. 

Unfortunately, most old newspaper sources I used to use now seem to be subscription. But here's an article about the Teets murders: https://jwcdaily.com/countrymag/2017/08/01/murder-he-wrote/

A fun tidbit extra to Munger Road while I have notes open... Munger has a twin- Powis Road. Powis is on the West side Pratts Wayne Woods, Munger to the East. They both have the same legends attached to their RR tracks. And a couple true crimes- a rape and murder in 82, and a murder in 99.

And an odd one just to the East of Munger in Sunrise Park. A guy got his house demolished, and as revenge he started killing a kid (daily, monthly, yearly, on anniversary date of house demolished or his "death") and leaving their bones in the park. Screams emit from the depths of the park, and has been since he started killing in the 1800's to this day. Tis the reason why that area is fairly unpopulated :tu:

And more road tripping while I got notes open... 

A bit to the West by Northwest of Shoe Factory is the intersection of Randall and Rt 72- couple haunted homes, ghosts/lights around the immediate area, accident related ghost stuff. And it really was a dangerous and heavy accident prone intersection for a while, though my notes are from 08 on that one so it might well be fixed by now. 

A bit to the North by Northwest of that intersection is Square Barn Road- ghosts, a pair of children running across the road trying to flee from their killers. Those notes are old and scant, apparently I didn't dig into that one too much or there just wasn't much to dig into.

Most of the rest of the stuff in the area I got notes on are mostly schools, cemeteries, and public establishments like stores and restaurants. 

• Like 2