Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE

Blink4567

Great series of the time...I have read it in full and liked it to the most.As people say that it is promoting black magic some feel reluctant to read...As I read I didn't feel anything of that sort powerful enough to turn me into witchcraft or shake the very base of my beliefs.Books are the products of imagination and that it is meant to entertain(of course there are exemptions)so while you read it just take the good things only

Thanks

B???

:tu:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• behaviour???

• Blink4567

• Stormcrow

• Moon Minion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But seriously, am I totally thinking of something different with those HBP scenes? There wasn't a Snape-shaped hole mentioned at all in the English version, but I SWEAR I've heard it somewhere.

That would make the book so bad and turn into tom and jerry style....

No versions I think have metioned like that.....You sure no one played tricks with you?

Thanks

B???

I really am not interested over the movies. They are nothing compared with the books, and if I may say, they are an insult to the books. Neither can the actors act properly or convincingly, nor does the plot (of the movie) portray half of what the books says.

I like the video games, though.

I really am not interested over the movies. They are nothing compared with the books, and if I may say, they are an insult to the books. Neither can the actors act properly or convincingly, nor does the plot (of the movie) portray half of what the books says.

I like the video games, though.

Alan rickman takes up the role of snape very beautifully and that Rupert is at his best but I hope Daniel can change.....Not an insult to the book but that for the sake of time management and financial loosening up they had to make alterations t the story....Yes as you stated I love the video games but i have played all versions

Thanks

B???

No, it is an actual scene. Here's the whole line from the book (it's from chapter 30, "The Sacking of Severus Snape" in Deathly Hallows):

"Our Headmaster is taking a short break," said Professor McGonagall, pointing at the Snape-shaped hole in the window.

But I've only been reading the English versions and there's nothing like that in them, so I'm thinking it's one of the scene changes in the American version. Same with the scene where Harry gets his copy of Advanced Potion Making.

Well admittedly it's probably not something that would stick out in my mind, if I did read it. I'll get my copy and have a look, don't suppose you know the estimate page number Ebony? Though your copy might be different to mine...

I'm just curious to see if it's in my copy lol :lol:

No, it is an actual scene. Here's the whole line from the book (it's from chapter 30, "The Sacking of Severus Snape" in Deathly Hallows):

"Our Headmaster is taking a short break," said Professor McGonagall, pointing at the Snape-shaped hole in the window.

But I've only been reading the English versions and there's nothing like that in them, so I'm thinking it's one of the scene changes in the American version. Same with the scene where Harry gets his copy of Advanced Potion Making.

Hmm...I dont know why but why does she cahnge in versions?Does the word have anyother meanings matching the sentence*not in my knowledge*

I love a sentence in that.....

Pg 484...2nd para.....

Just love the language the professors use....

Thanks

B???

It's not Rowling, its the editors.

It's not Rowling, its the editors.

Any such changes are made aware to the author

I dont know what went nuts with Rowling.....

Thanks

B???

I couldn't see it in my version, mines hard cover, but I do remember a cheap soft cover version that come out in poorer quality that may have also had some of the changes... :mellow:

There are a couple of scene differences, as well. I remember when reading the American version of HBP (or maybe it was just me? But I remember it clearly, so someone fill me in if I'm remembering it wrong) that Snape, after killing Dumbledore, jumped out of the tower leaving a "Snape-shaped hole in the wall". He then proceeded to fly away. In the English version, Snape does no such thing, and runs down the stairs, out the front doors, and confronts Harry.

I also seem to remember a difference (also in HBP) when Harry gets his copy of Advanced Potion Making. I think in the American version he has to rummage through a cupboard to find his book, while in the English version Slughorn gives him the copy.

I think there's some vague differences in the first book too, some scenes with Seamus, and some other small, insignificant things.

But seriously, am I totally thinking of something different with those HBP scenes? There wasn't a Snape-shaped hole mentioned at all in the English version, but I SWEAR I've heard it somewhere.

In my copies of the books (U.S. versions), Slughorn gives Harry the copy of the potions book,which was on a shelf with another copy which went to Ron. Later,Harry hid his book in a cupboard in the Room of Requirement.

As for Snape,he went down the stairs with Draco Malfoy in tow after killing Dumbledore,and went through the area where the D.A. and members of the Order were fighting Voldemort's cronies. The "Snape-shaped hole" was in the Deathly Hallows book.

In my copies of the books (U.S. versions), Slughorn gives Harry the copy of the potions book,which was on a shelf with another copy which went to Ron. Later,Harry hid his book in a cupboard in the Room of Requirement.

As for Snape,he went down the stairs with Draco Malfoy in tow after killing Dumbledore,and went through the area where the D.A. and members of the Order were fighting Voldemort's cronies. The "Snape-shaped hole" was in the Deathly Hallows book.

I don't know why I'm remembering it as if Harry was going through a cupboard to find the book... I remember it vividly, like, he and Ron go to the cabinet and under a bunch of scales Slughorn says there's probably a couple of copies they can have, and Ron gets the good one and Harry's left with this really crummy looking copy but takes it anyway. Bizarre, I have no idea why I keep remembering it that way.

But, I was confused about that, the Snape-shaped hole is in DH. I don't remember reading it in my collector's edition, so I think that's one of the American edition edits. I just have no idea. D: I'm going crazy, apparently.

Edited by Ebonykrow

Ace, a Harry Potter thread!

Would it be completely out of line for me to squee loudly with excitement? :blush:

Ace, a Harry Potter thread!

Would it be completely out of line for me to squee loudly with excitement? :blush:

Not at all. O:

I squeed outloud in theaters...

once.

twice.

a few times

...because it was written for kids? :huh:

Not at all. O:

I squeed outloud in theaters...

once.

twice.

a few times

OMG ME TOO!!!!

Here we go....

*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!*

OMG ME TOO!!!!

Here we go....

*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!*

*BOUNCESQUEE*

omg a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.

LOL! Who didnt squeeee in theatres!!!!!!! LOl

Yeah. And yet many fans are not "kids"; thus the point I'm making about it being childish.

What you have to take into consideration is that it was originally for kids. She didn't anticipate adult fans. However, you will notice that beyond GoF the plotline and characters become much more adult, as does the writing style.

And, quite honestly, I love childish books. It's the only thing I read, or write. Even portions of LotR and The Hobbit are childish, which is why I love them. They're so light and airy, carefree, despite the plot being as dark as it is.

Edited by Ebonykrow

The amount of squeeing coming from my chair at the cinema will be even worse than when I went to see Quantum of Solace! :lol: (which I never went to see twice... :unsure2: )

I really wanted to go see this one on opening night... but I can't. :( So it'll have to be the nearest time possible. Eeeeeee so excited!!!

The amount of squeeing coming from my chair at the cinema will be even worse than when I went to see Quantum of Solace! :lol: (which I never went to see twice... :unsure2: )

I really wanted to go see this one on opening night... but I can't. :( So it'll have to be the nearest time possible. Eeeeeee so excited!!!

I'm struggling to convince my mom to go see it opening night. We'll be on the road on the 15th, but I HOOOOOOPE we stop in a city with Imax... a regular theater will be just fine, but I hope to get lucky rofls.

*FINGERCROSS*

Ill be there at 8pm my time opening night! Biggest screen they have here! I CANT WAIT! One more week! :w00t:

Okay, I went through some of my copies last night and the Snape-shaped hole is in both the British and American versions. I still have no idea where I got the idea that Harry found his copy of Advanced Potion Making in a cupboard, instead of Slughorn giving it to him. It must be official, I'm out of my mind. :wacko:

Okay, I went through some of my copies last night and the Snape-shaped hole is in both the British and American versions. I still have no idea where I got the idea that Harry found his copy of Advanced Potion Making in a cupboard, instead of Slughorn giving it to him. It must be official, I'm out of my mind. :wacko:

In the book Harry gets the book cupboard but slughorn directed him to the cupboard.I don't know which version I have but it does not mention anything about the snape shaped hole...Its a hard bind and of quality papers...

Thanks

B???

The Snape-shaped hole is mentioned in DH, chapter 30, about page 428 (I have the collectors edition so it might be off in the other versions).

In the HBP, which I didn't check last night, in the British version Slughorn says he has a couple of extra copies that Ron and Harry can use until theirs comes in from Florish and Blotts. He goes over to a cupboard and then walks back over to Ron and Harry and just gives them their books, it all happens in like three sentences. The scene I remember is that Ron and Harry have to go to the cupboard themselves to get their books, and Ron gets there first leaving Harry to pick up a really cruddy version off the bottom shelf. I don't remember what chapter they get their books, but it's fairly early. Anyone remember anything remotely similar to either one of those....?

This is the American version of DH: http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deathly...1343&sr=8-1

British version of DH: http://www.amazon.com/British-Childrens-Tr...1343&sr=8-3

I'm sure other international covers are different, but I have nooo idea if any of the other international copies are any different.