Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE

Blink4567

Yeah...I used to play pranks with my grandmother going and sitting near her and reading the HP loud...I laugh when I hear her grumble

Thanks

B???

I was watching the third HP movie when my grandmother walked in during Lupins transformation and she nearly had a heart attack and left the room saying Eww....... :D

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• behaviour???

• Blink4567

• Stormcrow

• Moon Minion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was watching the third HP movie when my grandmother walked in during Lupins transformation and she nearly had a heart attack and left the room saying Eww....... :D

ILL be seeing the 6th movie tonight at midnight! I CANT WAIT :D

ILL be seeing the 6th movie tonight at midnight! I CANT WAIT :D

post-58664-1247609915_thumb.jpg I'm so green!

Im sure I will! ty

Im sure I will! ty

Have you seen it yet? When you do, let us know how you rate it on a scale of one -to- ten, ten being the best.

Have you seen it yet? When you do, let us know how you rate it on a scale of one -to- ten, ten being the best.

I will second the request

Thanks

B???

I will second the request

Thanks

B???

You like the Harry Potter series too B??? Coooool!!! :)

I am over half way through the "Half Blood Prince" and if the movie is anything like the book, thus far, then it should be quite the spectacle. rottentomatoes.com gives the movie a high rating and I usually, but not always, agree with this particular website. I'll see the movie in a few days so what I'm saying is that I am fairly excited to see how closely it follows the book.

Just popping in for a spell. ;) Got back from the movie and I thought I'd fill you guys in on what I thought, so here's what I think.

I had high expectations from David Yates after he took up directing the movies after Chamber of Secrets. He has a unique style that, I think, is fitting for the later HP movies. However, I did not feel HBP was up to par with his earlier films.

There were some very staggering scenes, to say the least. That's expected, I think, but the lack of such touching, memorable scenes was very disappointing. It seemed that, if you hadn't read the book (and I tried to put myself in this position), nothing happened, and very quickly.

Scenes went from one thing to something completely and utterly different in, quite literally, less than two seconds. It was even hard for me to follow, to remember what was supposed to happen in these huge gaps, because there was absolutely no warning or preparation for what was going to come next. Trust me, it isn't difficult to figure out which parts of the movie I'm talking about once you see it--it's quite obvious and relatively upsetting.

Many of the most important scenes were cut or edited, and so many scenes were added that I think HBP lost its meaning entirely. As ~Nxehis put it, it was filler. The movie was titled "Half-Blood Prince", but where on earth is he? I think he's hidden in the vanishing cabinet, which was the focus of the movie for about 3/3.5 hours.

However much I love Quidditch, it should have been the scene cut if they were losing focus of what the movie was intended to be about. There just didn't seem to be a lot that tried to focus on the Half-Blood Prince, and what little did was very short, choppy, and confusing. I think all in all there were only... three scenes that related to the HBP? Four? There certainly weren't more than you could count on one hand (of course, if you're Peter Pettigrew then you may be somewhat accurate).

Okay, so I didn't mind the "lovey-dovey" scenes too much. A lot of the book focused on Ron and Hermione and Harry and Ginny, I think a lot more than the movie put into it. The Ron/Lavender scenes were short and "sweet", and the love affair ended quite soon (thank goodness). I will also admit that the scene where Hermione conjures the birds and cries in the abandoned class room is very touching, it did bring tears to my eyes and I felt truly sorry for her.

On track of book relativity again, the portion about Aragog truly confused me. Hagrid was not upset in the least (not as you would imagine Hagrid to have been, and certainly not like the book portrayed him). There was no mention beforehand about Aragog's funeral, and when Harry drinks the lucky potion he doesn't save any for Ginny, Hermione, or Ron. But that aside, there isn't even any preparation for the Death Eater's attack! Harry simply walks away and no one goes on guard against Malfoy or his plan.

Once Harry and Dumbledore return from the cave (which is somewhat accurate, if you bypass quite a bit of it. Harry doesn't even give Dumbledore the water once he takes it out of the lake, so apparently Dumbledore is more magical than anyone assumed)... there is no battle, no excitement, no huzzah. Woosh, Snape kills Dumbledore, they all walk out the front door, and no one is the wiser about the Death Eaters, Malfoy, or why Hagrid's hut is suddenly set ablaze by Bellatrix (during which time no one is trying to save Fang, Hagrid, or put the fire out).

Finally! We reach the moment of truth... the... wait, who? Oh right! The Half-Blood Prince, I forgot about him for a minute, with all of this other unexciting scene-switching hullabaloo! Snape very unceremoniously reveals the truth, Harry manages to shoot two spells and call him a coward, before he shrivels up on the ground and is unable to do anymore.

The ending was fairly well done, for the funeral scene having been cut (what?!). I think the attack on the Burrow could have been left out (um, now what about the Burrow? Who's going to fix that mess?) if it meant saving the funeral.

Simply put, if you haven't read the book, don't see the movie. It's possible you may become too confundled to keep up.

So, is it "the best Potter yet"? Not by a long shot. It's definitely worth watching for any Potter fan, but expect to be disappointed, and if you haven't read the book, you might want to take notes during viewing just to keep up.

(Consider I watched the movie with a 100 degree fever, so if I say anything funny or off I might have just been confundled myself. I also had the very front, left-hand row, so me viewing wasn't spectacular either. Might go back over vacation just to see if I can get a better seat.)

I LOVE THIS SERIES! Ive been reading it since I was like 14 or 13! Cant wait to see how bad they mess up the book in the 6th movie! I still love it! I know they'll do their hollywood magic best!

I have heard generally very positive things about it so far... I'm going on Saturday. I wish they had followed the book a bit more, but at the same time I appreciate the movies for what they are.

Consider I watched the movie with a 100 degree fever, so if I say anything funny or off I might have just been confundled myself. I also had the very front, left-hand row, so me viewing wasn't spectacular either. Might go back over vacation just to see if I can get a better seat.)

Hope you do well

.....Like WT has said I have heard so far positive comments about the movie and would be going to see it saturday or sunday and that Acc to Ebony I have read the book thrice so I think I would go well with the film

Thanks

B???

I had high expectations from David Yates after he took up directing the movies after Chamber of Secrets. He has a unique style that, I think, is fitting for the later HP movies. However, I did not feel HBP was up to par with his earlier films.

Umm...I think you may have gotten a bit mixed up here. David Yates had nothing to do with the HP movies until OOTP. Alfonso Cuarón was the director for POA,and Mike Newell directed GOF.

I'll be going to see HBP on Monday (with a roomie since we both have the day off),so I'll be able to comment then.

I'm just hoping that Yates did a better job this time around,as I thought some of OOTP suffered a bit.

Umm...I think you may have gotten a bit mixed up here. David Yates had nothing to do with the HP movies until OOTP. Alfonso Cuarón was the director for POA,and Mike Newell directed GOF.

I'll be going to see HBP on Monday (with a roomie since we both have the day off),so I'll be able to comment then.

I'm just hoping that Yates did a better job this time around,as I thought some of OOTP suffered a bit.

Yea they forgot thr brain room!

Im going to see the 6th film today! Well see....

I'm not going till Tuesday, fingers crossed! God I hope it doesn't disappoint me like the last one did. :unsure:

I can see leaving out the "brain room",as well as a few other pieces from the story that would've been good to see in the film (such as the Quidditch game where Harry and the twins beat up Malfoy...which would've been fantastic to see),due to the fact that some things really weren't needed to help the story along. But,what I am mainly referring to is that Yates did attempt to show the "teen angst" that Harry was going through...but I think he failed a bit on this. Instead,he just made Harry look like he was having a small temper tantrum here & there. Otherwise,the flow of the film wasn't too bad.

I haven't seen that movie yet, but I'm planning to watch next week.

I love Harry Potter and surely it will be the biggest in the box office.

I hope it will be as good as the previous ones.

Ok I saw THBP, GRRR!. I have to say I loved seeing the book come to life but it was almost like watching another version of harry potter. They didnt show fudge in the begining, Ilove that part. They never introduced the new minister. Greyback was alright, kind of what imaged but his parts wrent right at all! The burrow got burned down!! :o WHY! It was ok, I was just very depressed they didnt show the funeral or the way dumbledore died. It was emotional though! I did like that slughorn was a perfect blue armchair! That scene was kool. Over all i enjoyed myself but as a fan of the book i was dissapointed. I need to reread the books again!

Recently announced results claim that Harry Potter and the HBP had a record collection of 2.2 million and has crossed the record set by 'The Dark Knight'

Thanks

B???

Ok I saw THBP, GRRR!. I have to say I loved seeing the book come to life but it was almost like watching another version of harry potter. They didnt show fudge in the begining, Ilove that part. They never introduced the new minister. Greyback was alright, kind of what imaged but his parts wrent right at all! The burrow got burned down!! :o WHY! It was ok, I was just very depressed they didnt show the funeral or the way dumbledore died. It was emotional though! I did like that slughorn was a perfect blue armchair! That scene was kool. Over all i enjoyed myself but as a fan of the book i was dissapointed. I need to reread the books again!

Bit of a mixed bag then. Still, I bet you still enjoyed it for what it was worth. The book 9 times out of 10 is always better, I think. Sometimes it might be better to see the movie then read the book, as you're always going to be let down by others interpretations, especially if they leave out important bits. Lucky you though, I have to wait for it to come out on video!

Bit of a mixed bag then. Still, I bet you still enjoyed it for what it was worth. The book 9 times out of 10 is always better, I think. Sometimes it might be better to see the movie then read the book, as you're always going to be let down by others interpretations, especially if they leave out important bits. Lucky you though, I have to wait for it to come out on video!

Twas worth my time I have to say :), especially getting to see emma watson!

I like to see Ron

Thanks

B???

Twas worth my time I have to say :), especially getting to see emma watson!

Striking looking isn't she? Reminds me a bit of Julia Roberts... it's the chin, I think, and maybe the eyes...

Am I the only person that is sick and tired of reading, seeing and hearing about Harry effin Potter?

How a fictional, childrens book character can hijack the national news headlines is a sad indictment of our society.

AAAAAARRRRRRGH