Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE

Blink4567

Am I the only person that is sick and tired of reading, seeing and hearing about Harry effin Potter?

How a fictional, childrens book character can hijack the national news headlines is a sad indictment of our society.

AAAAAARRRRRRGH

Didn't you ever want to 'escape?' It is fiction in it's greatest form, just slide in there and leave your worries behind!!!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• behaviour???

• Blink4567

• Stormcrow

• Moon Minion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I the only person that is sick and tired of reading, seeing and hearing about Harry effin Potter?

How a fictional, childrens book character can hijack the national news headlines is a sad indictment of our society.

AAAAAARRRRRRGH

Why do we bother that ...Its a nice fiction written by a talented writer and so I has fan base.....Just enjoy that

Thanks

B???

I saw the movie today...Its the condensed version of the book with slight changes....Particularly there was no battle by death eaters and the Order at the climax and also that I dont remember a scene like Bellatrix and Fenrir Greyback coming and firing the burrow....Pretty liked the unbreakable vow scene of snape(My favorite character) and that dumbledore using fire to repel inferi.......All together it was an awesome movie

Must Watch

Thanks

B???

I saw the movie today...Its the condensed version of the book with slight changes....Particularly there was no battle by death eaters and the Order at the climax and also that I dont remember a scene like Bellatrix and Fenrir Greyback coming and firing the burrow....Pretty liked the unbreakable vow scene of snape(My favorite character) and that dumbledore using fire to repel inferi.......All together it was an awesome movie

Must Watch

Thanks

B???

Sounds like a good movie, my friend has already gone t see it twice and I bet that the more recent won't be the last.

AAAAAARRRRRRGH

I'd much rather see and hear about Harry Potter than see and hear about Michael Jackson every time I turn on the tube or start up my web browser.

I'd much rather see and hear about Harry Potter than see and hear about Michael Jackson every time I turn on the tube or start up my web browser.

Bit of a Dementor, isn't he?? :lol:

Bit of a Dementor, isn't he?? :lol:

I think the Dementors actually look better.

AAAAAARRRRRRGH

It is better than always turning on the tv and seeing something completely negative! Like all the time!

I think the Dementors actually look better.

LOL, :ph34r:

Saw it today. Wasn't all that to be honest. Can't say I'd recommend it; I suppose it's fine if you haven't read the books but if you have then you'll most likely be left disappointed by how much is missed out.

7/10 ~

I thought the movie by itself was alright. Granted, I'm not a mega-Harry Potter fan or anything, but I have read the books for fun.

Honestly, I don't see exactly what is wrong with the movies differing from the books, as unless your an uber-fan the differences don't really stand out.

The main problem I've seen with the movies is that they often skip over the important stuff while spending what seems like forever on the side plots.

For example, they do not show or explain how Dumbledore found that ring-horcux-thing. Instead, they seem to film about 45 minutes of Ron Weasley and that other girl, Lavender, kissing. :rolleyes:

Additionally, I think the Luna Lovegood character is extremely well played/cast. The movies have made her my favorite character, just because the actress is so good at playing the role. She's the only "humorous" part of the movie which I got a kick out of. The scenes she is in seem to be substantially better than the rest.

Anyway, what do I know about Harry Potter.

--sorry If I got any names above wrong, folks, I neither wrote the series nor memorized it.--

Cheers,

SQLserver

Must Watch

Thanks

B???

I didn't read this book, only the first four, but I've heard so much about this "left out battle scene" it seems like I've read it. My thought is that they left it out because wouldn't it have the same ending as the fifth book. Was there not a "showdown" of sorts between the death eaters and the Order when Sirius died? (I may just be messing this up...) I just think this time they wanted to show a different side of the story than normal. I thought it was a good, if not great movie. (Maybe just because I thought the cinematography was amazing) They can't show repetative fight scenes in a septology, (is that a word? Heptology maybe? 7 movie series....) They need to change it up between the first and seventh movie. People would be bored.

I LOVE THIS SERIES! Ive been reading it since I was like 14 or 13! Cant wait to see how bad they mess up the book in the 6th movie! I still love it! I know they'll do their hollywood magic best!

The movie isn't that bad. It deletes some scenes (Mainly ones that pertain to subplots that were gone before Yates showed up as director, so i can't really blame him)... And sort of glosses over some things (Like Harry and Ginny's budding romance). And the big fight at Hogwarts is gone from the ending... But...

What is onscreen is beautiful and well acted. Draco (I forget the name of the actor) had a hard job this movie and the actor carries that job out quite well. Not perfect, but okay. I also forget the name of the actress that plays Ron's first girlfriend, but she has that "First Girlfriend" act down so perfectly that it add a lot of much needed levity to that subplot. And, in the end, the principal actors actually have some real chemistry together at this point so it's always fun to watch them just act together in scenes.

I still miss the ejection of the Percy Weasley subplot from the series, and the Weasley twins have lost their whole subplot of romance... but then again, the movie is only 2.5 hours long, so I can understand why those had to go.

Bottomline : It's not perfect, but it actually is probably the best of the series so far...

AAAAAARRRRRRGH

I would much rather see a well written novel turned big movie be in the headlines than the funeral of a dead child molester do the same thing...

I didn't read this book, only the first four, but I've heard so much about this "left out battle scene" it seems like I've read it. My thought is that they left it out because wouldn't it have the same ending as the fifth book. Was there not a "showdown" of sorts between the death eaters and the Order when Sirius died? (I may just be messing this up...) I just think this time they wanted to show a different side of the story than normal. I thought it was a good, if not great movie. (Maybe just because I thought the cinematography was amazing) They can't show repetative fight scenes in a septology, (is that a word? Heptology maybe? 7 movie series....) They need to change it up between the first and seventh movie. People would be bored.

That was a very good point to consider but I think since Harry potter Movies most eagerly awaited part is the all dueling scenes with extra-ordinary graphics so people who have read and enjoys HP wont feel boring to see another dueling part because all the movies except for the third one ends with a duelling part

And also it is Heptology

Thanks

B???

That was a very good point to consider but I think since Harry potter Movies most eagerly awaited part is the all dueling scenes with extra-ordinary graphics so people who have read and enjoys HP wont feel boring to see another dueling part because all the movies except for the third one ends with a duelling part

And also it is Heptology

Thanks

B???

I definatly agree! Weve seen it in our heads millions of times so why not just a couple more out of them!

I LOVE THE FIGHT SCENES!

I definatly agree! Weve seen it in our heads millions of times so why not just a couple more out of them!

I LOVE THE FIGHT SCENES!

What, so is it really lacking in some of the action? Or is all the action just in the wrong places? :lol:

What, so is it really lacking in some of the action? Or is all the action just in the wrong places? :lol:

LOL! No never in the wrong places :D , Just not there at all!

Indeed! And I can't believe they missed out the Liberacorpus part, where Harry uses it on Ron whilst sleeping. Haven't read them for a long time but I also remember there being many more death eaters in the latter parts, there being much more involvement from the DA members, and the dark mark being made to draw Dumbledore and Harry to the tower rather than to prononce Dumbledore's death.. [Highlight: Plot Spoiler]

But I guess I just expect too much from films; probably wouldn't have been happy unless it was about 6 hours long and contained every book detail lol.

Indeed! And I can't believe they missed out the Liberacorpus part, where Harry uses it on Ron whilst sleeping. Haven't read them for a long time but I also remember there being many more death eaters in the latter parts, there being much more involvement from the DA members, and the dark mark being made to draw Dumbledore and Harry to the tower rather than to prononce Dumbledore's death.. [Highlight: Plot Spoiler]

But I guess I just expect too much from films; probably wouldn't have been happy unless it was about 6 hours long and contained every book detail lol.

Its a film and they cant show the entire book according to it .....Variations may come...I especially like the scene of professor McGoangall holding her wand with tears trickling down her eyes and others doing so..And the scene when the Dark Mark vanishes away.....

Electronic Arts just claimed that the making of game is so hard since it is an open ended story so If they dont put any type of ending then Its gonna be a big blunder

Thanks

B???

What no action! There was plenty of it in the book???? Gah....I'll have to wait and see, when I see it *sighs* I will try not to look forward to it, I will try not to look forward to it ha ha :lol:

The movie isn't that bad. It deletes some scenes (Mainly ones that pertain to subplots that were gone before Yates showed up as director, so i can't really blame him)... And sort of glosses over some things (Like Harry and Ginny's budding romance). And the big fight at Hogwarts is gone from the ending... But...

What is onscreen is beautiful and well acted. Draco (I forget the name of the actor) had a hard job this movie and the actor carries that job out quite well. Not perfect, but okay. I also forget the name of the actress that plays Ron's first girlfriend, but she has that "First Girlfriend" act down so perfectly that it add a lot of much needed levity to that subplot. And, in the end, the principal actors actually have some real chemistry together at this point so it's always fun to watch them just act together in scenes.

I still miss the ejection of the Percy Weasley subplot from the series, and the Weasley twins have lost their whole subplot of romance... but then again, the movie is only 2.5 hours long, so I can understand why those had to go.

Bottomline : It's not perfect, but it actually is probably the best of the series so far...

I have to agree with much of what Wookietim said here. It really wasn't a bad movie.

Could it have been done a bit better? Yes. But,overall,I think the movie flowed pretty well. It was a very decent film. If one is willing to take the movie for what it is instead of going into it with the belief that it should follow the book exactly,then it's not a bad movie at all. I am a big fan of the series,and I'd enjoy seeing the movies follow the books exactly,but that would take too long to do...and each movie would have to be either a bit longer,or be done in two or three parts. So...I can understand why movies that are made from books will be changed. Change isn't always a bad thing...and I think that most of the changes made for this movie were done for good reason...and were well done. There are still a few things that should not have been changed,but overall,I can see past them for the most part. I enjoyed the movie,and I eagerly await the next two.

***Spoiler Alert*** (Do not read past this point if you have not seen the movie yet...because I don't want you to blame me for ruining parts of it for you)

Although they did change some things around (such as Luna finding Harry on the train instead of Tonks),and rushing some of the story along,I can see why in some cases (but not all). I think the section of the film where the Death Eaters show up at the Burrow (and destroy it) should not have been inserted in place of the actual fight after Dumbledore's fall. That,I think,was a bit of idiocy on the part of whoever wrote the screenplay. If they plan on using the Burrow for the next film,it will have to be rebuilt...by magic,of course. :rolleyes::P

I can understand the leaving out of some of the extra memory viewings that took place in the book. Most were just to give the reader more of an insight into how the mind of Voldemort worked,while in the movies it's not absolutely necessary. I do think that they made another mistake regarding the Horcruxes,as in the book,Dumbledore discusses the known possibilities of what Voldemoret might have used with Harry,while he didn't go very far with them in the movie. They will have to be a bit creative in the next movie in order to have Harry (and friends) figure out what the other Horcruxes are. I will eagerly await the next film to see how they do that.

I can say that the subplot of Ron & Hermione's relationship was very well done,and the bits with Lavender were mercifully short. I think the way the Harry & Ginny relationship was shown was ok...but not quite as well done.

Some of the people I know who have seen the movie have said that they didn't think it was all that great,and one of the things they mentioned was that when the students and faculty were shown standing around Dumbledore's body,it seemed to them that the students and faculty were acting a bit like it wasn't a big deal. I think that they are wrong in this regard,as I could see that most had a look of shock on their faces (the grief hadn't really set in yet). It was,in my opinion,a very moving scene (although I think that scene could've been done a wee bit better).

***End Spoiler***

***Spoiler Alert*** (Do not read past this point if you have not seen the movie yet...because I don't want you to blame me for ruining parts of it for you)

Some of the people I know who have seen the movie have said that they didn't think it was all that great,and one of the things they mentioned was that when the students and faculty were shown standing around Dumbledore's body,it seemed to them that the students and faculty were acting a bit like it wasn't a big deal. I think that they are wrong in this regard,as I could see that most had a look of shock on their faces (the grief hadn't really set in yet). It was,in my opinion,a very moving scene (although I think that scene could've been done a wee bit better).

***End Spoiler***

I agree - let's face it, the fact of Dumbledore's death hadn't actually set in at that point. I'm sure that most of the characters were assuming he had a bad fall but would get back up in a short amount of time... Remember - Dumbledore is pretty much considered invincible in the world of Harry Potter. So seeing him on the ground would lead to a period of shock and disbelief rather than the automatic understanding that he was dead...

I agree - let's face it, the fact of Dumbledore's death hadn't actually set in at that point. I'm sure that most of the characters were assuming he had a bad fall but would get back up in a short amount of time... Remember - Dumbledore is pretty much considered invincible in the world of Harry Potter. So seeing him on the ground would lead to a period of shock and disbelief rather than the automatic understanding that he was dead...

I highly agree. One person also remarked that it didn't seem to them that Hagrid was all that upset over Aragog's death,but if they had paid a little more attention they would've seen that Hagrid was really upset. Of course,I don't think this person has ever been to a "wake",so they don't really know that some people tend to get drunk after a funeral. He thought that Hagrid wasn't upset because Hagrid and Slughorn got drunk and a bit rowdy right after the funeral.

Well I saw it! FINALLY!!! LOL

Well hmm...

Fair to say it didn't disappoint me like the fifth one but...it did bore me a little. The book built you up for that dramatic end finale when the death eaters came and dumbledore died, snape revealing himself as the half blood prince and the book delivered! The movie didn't. To me it was like the whole thing was somewhat 'watered down' but the subplot with Hermione and Ron was pretty good, Harry and Ginny---OK. I thought Draco was well acted by Tom Felton just how I imagined in the book. I didn't think there was enough emphasis put on the mystery of the Half Blood Prince, I thought scenes surrounding Voldermort's past could have been a little more involved. Why the attack on the burrow? I was a little annoyed, the time used on that could have been made putting more of that dramatic finale into the movie. Overall I just didn't think the movie built you up enough for what Harry's task is in the last installment. I was quite impressed with the scene in the cave, it was probably the scene I enjoyed most, but what followed that scene just didn't deliver enough POW IMO.

But it was OK, not the worst, but not the best either, I'd give it three stars.