Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Slender Man is upon us

Tokemus

I sometimes enter a place in my dream that I call "NeverWhere"; it is a place that never was; that's how people before my time say it as "Never-Never World" or "Never-World" for short. I think what they call "The Slender Man" is stalking me through this "NeverWhere"--a world where everything is tinted-blue, and, where the shadow of objects are a deep-black color. This so-called "Shadow Person"-looking figure of a man comes and tries to choke me to death; I fight back in this particular dream. "It" tried to deceive me into think "it-self" was my older brother John-Paul; "it" even had his voice exactly-matched. I saw "it''s face in the dream; it was exactly like what is describe as what the "Slender-Man"-face-area is described as. There were other "dark-figures" in the shape-form of animals; a cat and a dog. Somehow, I wanted to journey into the outside world of "NeverWhere", but, for some reason I could not; that's when "it" showed up and attacked me by choking me with "it";s own handsl "It" was making a growling-like sound. Then I had woken-up in my bed in the late-morning. There's this other boogieman that one of my friends calls "The-Silver-Man"; "Silver-Man" for short. "Silver-Man" is dressed like a cowboy, but, in all-silver-color; he likes to stalk people, and, he likes to shot his silver-color-gun. I only had one dream where "The-Silver-Man" was in it; the dream was very weird.

Slender Man was invented by a forum member on the Something Awful website. There was a thread about members photoshopping paranormal photographs and Slender Man photos were posted by a member along with an authentic sounding but made-up background story.

Before that thread, there was no such thing as Slender Man and nobody talked about it. If you search Google Trends, there's no mention pre-2009 and interest suddenly exploded in 2012 and dropped down somewhat afterward.

Which is exactly what you would expect if it was an Internet urban legend and not at all what you expect if it were a true story with people having experiences going back deep in time.

• Like 1

Still, solid monster

Haven't had a good scary monster created in forever it seems. Slenderman and Shadow people seem to be our best things going in the past 100 years or so.

Slender Man was invented by a forum member on the Something Awful website. There was a thread about members photoshopping paranormal photographs and Slender Man photos were posted by a member along with an authentic sounding but made-up background story.

Before that thread, there was no such thing as Slender Man and nobody talked about it. If you search Google Trends, there's no mention pre-2009 and interest suddenly exploded in 2012 and dropped down somewhat afterward.

Which is exactly what you would expect if it was an Internet urban legend and not at all what you expect if it were a true story with people having experiences going back deep in time.

We all know that Slender Man was invented by Victor Surge and posted on the Something Awful website in 2009.

But fear not, mystery-seekers! This will all be forgotten on the next page of the thread.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We all know that Slender Man was invented by Victor Surge and posted on the Something Awful website in 2009.

But fear not, mystery-seekers! This will all be forgotten on the next page of the thread.

That was the joke a while ago; we had to explain his origins and that he was faked on every page! Glad to see it's back.

Anyway, here's the next entries from Marble Hornets:

[media=]

Edited by BeastieRunner
  • Like 1

Is it me, or has Slender Man jumped the shark?

• Like 1

I always thought Slender Man was a rip off of the Tall Man from the Phantasm movies

Is it me, or has Slender Man jumped the shark?

I dunno. There's a new game and it's being ported to consoles. Also there's a feature length Hollywood movie, called Slender Man coming out just in time for Halloween this year. Maybe not yet? I'd be willing to say that if Season 3 of MH, the game ,and the new movie bust.

Anywho, here is another entry:

The endgame has begun! :alien:

Edited by BeastieRunner
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno. There's a new game and it's being ported to consoles. Also there's a feature length Hollywood movie, called Slender Man coming out just in time for Halloween this year. Maybe not yet? I'd be willing to say that if Season 3 of MH, the game ,and the new movie bust.

Anywho, here is another entry:

The endgame has begun! :alien:

Perhaps I should have asked whether Marble Hornets has jumped the shark. I still find the Slender Man story frightening, but the MH folks seem to have dropped the ball. Too much time in each video is given over to extended stretches of aimless wandering and other "filler" scenes. I had no idea a movie was forthcoming--thanks!

• Like 1

Perhaps I should have asked whether Marble Hornets has jumped the shark. I still find the Slender Man story frightening, but the MH folks seem to have dropped the ball. Too much time in each video is given over to extended stretches of aimless wandering and other "filler" scenes. I had no idea a movie was forthcoming--thanks!

I'd agree with you till I saw the last few entries; they are aces!

It's really interesting how this has gone from a post on Something Awful (of all sites!) to a cultural icon. I was surprised to hear kids talking about "Slenderman" and wondered about the origin of the story.

Funny... but kinda sad, in a way, that we humans deal with information so ineptly in such an information rich environment.

• Like 1

It's really interesting how this has gone from a post on Something Awful (of all sites!) to a cultural icon. I was surprised to hear kids talking about "Slenderman" and wondered about the origin of the story.

Funny... but kinda sad, in a way, that we humans deal with information so ineptly in such an information rich environment.

Indeed. It's a really interesting comment on society and culture. Which is part of why I find it fascinating.

yeah its pretty crazy

I just had an odd conversation with my 6 year old nephew who asked me why Slenderman has no face. I said I didn't know and he says he thinks it's either because a bear ripped his face off or he ripped his own face because he hated himself and didn't want to see or hear himself speak anymore.

Someone oughta work that into the mythos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What fries me about this event is that the creator of the "legend" and those who popularized it are inevitably going to end up taking the blame.

I believe the two girls should be tried as adults. I also believe their parents should be charged as accessories. It is time that we put parenting squarely back where it belongs: with parents. The only way to do this is by holding parents responsible for the acts of their minor children.

It won't happen. The parents will blame Eric Knudsen, Marble Hornets, and Creepypasta. I'd bet the farm that lawsuits will be filed. There will be a public outcry, with the press leading the lynch mob, on the grounds that the Slender Man myth is "dangerous" and "cultlike" or some such utter BS. Psychologists will be brought in to cast even more doubt and blame on people who had nothing to do with the fact that two young girls are growing up to be monsters. Nobody outside the home is at fault. Not their teachers, TV, movies, books, video games, or Internet memes. Their parents are to blame. Period.

Okay, one exception: I believe in the concept of "bad seeds." I think some people are just born bad and all the love, nurturing, support, and even therapy and medication, in the world aren't going to make them good--or even decent. Monsters happen.

Two of them happened in the same town. They met. Frankly, I don't give a damn whether they were born that way or just turned out that way due to lousy parenting. Either way, they ought to be brought to justice--AND used as an example of what will happen from now on when parents don't do their goddamned jobs and raise their kids.

AND used as an example of what will happen from now on when parents don't do their goddamned jobs and raise their kids.

You can not blame the parents in all ( most ) cases....

Hate when people blame the parents.

You can not blame the parents in all ( most ) cases....

Hate when people blame the parents.

I hate it when the parents blame everyone else. It's just different points of view, I guess. I'm all for personal accountability and if the buck must stop somewhere, it needs to stop inside the home, not outside.

But I did say that I also believe in the notion of bad seeds, and that in such cases, the parents can't be held accountable. Some people were just born bad, plain and simple. The problem with that, though, is that even if the kid was born bad, in today's climate of passing the buck, the parents aren't going to admit it. Parents today will do or say anything rather than let even the smallest measure of accountability land on their doorsteps.

I hate it when the parents blame everyone else. It's just different points of view, I guess. I'm all for personal accountability and if the buck must stop somewhere, it needs to stop inside the home, not outside.

But I did say that I also believe in the notion of bad seeds, and that in such cases, the parents can't be held accountable. Some people were just born bad, plain and simple. The problem with that, though, is that even if the kid was born bad, in today's climate of passing the buck, the parents aren't going to admit it. Parents today will do or say anything rather than let even the smallest measure of accountability land on their doorsteps.

This is changing the topic....

Yes, you did see some are " bad seeds "....

I say it is not the parents, not " bad seeds ", but our society. Today, both the parents need to work to afford a house, gas, food, etc. Todays ( and since the early to mid 80's ) kids are left alone, or/and away from parents 90% of the time. Especially school days. Our children are being raised and influenced by other children at School. ( and teachers ) Also, being raised by television, internet, pure pressure, etc...

We raised a boy and a girl. Both in the same homes, and both with the same rules. We both own a home, and would be considered " responsible adults ". Our daughter went to college with scholorships, our son was in Prison most of his life, and is now trying ( struggling ) to find a decent job and get on with life.

I will leave it at that, but I guarantee it was not because of " us " raising them. We both worked full time, and saw them on weekends, and 3 hours a night on weekdays if that. That is the reality of today.

This is changing the topic....

Yes, you did see some are " bad seeds "....

I say it is not the parents, not " bad seeds ", but our society. Today, both the parents need to work to afford a house, gas, food, etc. Todays ( and since the early to mid 80's ) kids are left alone, or/and away from parents 90% of the time. Especially school days. Our children are being raised and influenced by other children at School. ( and teachers ) Also, being raised by television, internet, pure pressure, etc...

We raised a boy and a girl. Both in the same homes, and both with the same rules. We both own a home, and would be considered " responsible adults ". Our daughter went to college with scholorships, our son was in Prison most of his life, and is now trying ( struggling ) to find a decent job and get on with life.

I will leave it at that, but I guarantee it was not because of " us " raising them. We both worked full time, and saw them on weekends, and 3 hours a night on weekdays if that. That is the reality of today.

But sweetheart the point is that you DID see them. And I'm sorry your son has had problems in the past; I hope and pray that he can find a good job and build a happy, peaceful life for himself. The fact that he's trying is what matters.

When I wrote about "bad seeds" I meant children who are predisposed toward violence toward other people such as the type the two girls perpetrated on their classmate. Acts that have no benefit to anyone but are just done for the sake of doing evil.

I also realize that it is much harder today for parents because it's rare that a family can afford to have one parent stay home full time. But you said it yourself--you spent as much time with your kids as you possibly could. My comments are aimed at absentee parents who made no effort to raise their kids or have input in their kids' lives, and then blame everyone else for their own failure.

My focus is more on the way everyone needs to assign blame, and how the blame is always assigned outside the home.

But sweetheart the point is that you DID see them. And I'm sorry your son has had problems in the past; I hope and pray that he can find a good job and build a happy, peaceful life for himself. The fact that he's trying is what matters.

When I wrote about "bad seeds" I meant children who are predisposed toward violence toward other people such as the type the two girls perpetrated on their classmate. Acts that have no benefit to anyone but are just done for the sake of doing evil.

I also realize that it is much harder today for parents because it's rare that a family can afford to have one parent stay home full time. But you said it yourself--you spent as much time with your kids as you possibly could. My comments are aimed at absentee parents who made no effort to raise their kids or have input in their kids' lives, and then blame everyone else for their own failure.

My focus is more on the way everyone needs to assign blame, and how the blame is always assigned outside the home.

I am pointing blame, so were you :)

As I said, I blame the way society has come thus far.

Kids have to " fit in " now. Have the nice clothes, nice cell phones, be in the popular group. It is all about " status ".....Even when we get older.

As I said, it is a entire topic itself.

As for those two girls, I have no idea. As others have said, how you can get one person to do that is insane, but to get 2 of them to agree and do this is worse. This is not the first though, a murder in Nevada very similar to this, minus the paranormal crap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...